Post-Senior Bowl Mock

Thoner7

My philosophy for the draft is target good players that are a good value at your pick and play a position where they can immediately contribute. Then, take the best one when your pick is up.

I believe rankings should be a bit flexible. It’s naïve to think one can rank players accurately enough to justify taking a WR over a DL guy when the WR is ranked 3-5 slots higher than your DL guy and you desperately need DL help.

*I know I have lots of OL and DL guys listed, but with only 5 picks in my mock I would not draft more than 2 at any position. That is, If I landed Dareus and Taylor rounds 1 and 2 I would not take Jarvis Jenkins in the 4th and would jump to Ziembra. I tried to be realistic here, aka a popular pick in the 3rd is Sheppard from LSU but he will be long gone.

Round 1:

-Fairley Auburn

-Bowers Clemson

-Dareus. Alabama All play DE and none need an explanation.

Round 2:

-Phil Taylor. NG Baylor. What an absolute monster. He allows us to move KW to DE, him and Troupe both play – its hard to stay fresh at 330+.

-Derrick Sherrod RT. Miss St. The 2nd best T in the draft to Carimi will fall to us as guys like Coztansa and Soldier who aren’t as good are drafted before him.

-Martez Wilson. ILB. Illinois. Starts at ILB from day 1.

-Mike Pouncy G Florida. Starts at RG from day 1.

- Kyle Rudolf or Luke Stocker. We really need a TE. I don’t know much about Rudolf but I do know I like Stocker a lot.

Round 3:

-Mark Herzlich ILB Boston College.. A lot of people don’t think he isnt very good but I do. He is big and strong and intelligent, diagnosing plays very very well. He played inside at BC and also shifted out wide to play the nickel CB role against 3 wide sets. I have no worries about him coving a big TE like Gronkowski. He was great taking on blockers in the senior bowl and would start for us Day 1. Once he gets another year or two removed from Chemo I expect him to return to his top 15 pick form.

-Kendric Burney CB NC. One of the NC guys who missed games due to suspension. He played great in the Senior bowl which has risen his stock out of the later rounds and maybe higher than this pick too. But we cannot ingonre the trend of the multi WR sets in the NFL and teams need CBs.

-Brooks Reed OLB. Arizona. Good size for an OLB who also has a history of rushing the passer. Would be a very good fit opposite Moats in the future.

-James Carpenter OL Alabama. RG or RT, Carpenter could have started at either for the 2010 Bills the last few games and will start at one in 2011

-Marvin Austin DL. NC. Not sure if he falls this far but he may and he is on the list.

Round 4a & b

-James Carpenter OL Alabama. RG or RT, See Round 3. After the Senior Bowl I think he goes a bit higher than this pick. I think he is more than skilled enough to go at our 3rd round pick but I hope the league passes on this under rated O lineman and he is available in the 4th.

-Jarvis Jenkins DL Clemson. The big bog from Clemson has prototype size for the 5 tech and the frame to ad #s to play NG where he lined up in college.

- Lee Ziemba OT Auburn. A prototype RT size wise who has a bright future in this league, potentially a future starter.

- James Brewster OL Indiana. This mammoth of a man was exposed as lacking elite feet, but also a huge road grader at the Sr. Bowl. Would be a monster of a RG.

-John Miffit OL Wisconsin. Could start at G or C in 2011.

-Mike Blanc DL Auburn. This talented D lineman is a carbon copy of Jenkins, see above.

The only other guy I can add as a later round guy is the RB from ‘Cuse Carter. He is built for the NFL and runs like an NFL runner. I could see him replacing Freddie as our full time starter in 2012.

- This will be updated post combine and the day before the draft. Have at it.

You'd love Martez over Poz to start, or do you mean WITH Poz?? I definitely don't agree with that. We need to resign the few bright spots we have, and Poz is one of them. If Poz had been able to stay healthy throughout his career so far, I believe he would be a pro bowl caliber LB right now. We do need some help around him though. I know I am alone on this board in thinking this, but I really think Merriman is going to return to form this season.

Edited by coseybedaman

You'd love Martez over Poz to start, or do you mean WITH Poz?? I definitely don't agree with that. We need to resign the few bright spots we have, and Poz is one of them. If Poz had been able to stay healthy throughout his career so far, I believe he would be a pro bowl caliber LB right now. We do need some help around him though. I know I am alone on this board in thinking this, but I really think Merriman is going to return to form this season.

Start WITH Poz. Nix came out and said we are going to draft for the 3-4 but play whatever scheme fits us best at any one time. Whether its 34 or 4-3, Wilson could and would start inside, with Poz playing Inside with him in a 34 or as the Will in the 4-3, where he played the majority of last season.

I still think Florence should be the priority over Poz going into the offseason, I think he is better. I also think Merriman will be effective next year.

+1

People give Poz a lot of grief and they are right that he isn't a world beater, but for a 2nd round pick he's pretty good. I'd say far above the average.

1. Robert Quinn / OLB / UNC

2. Phil Taylor / DT / Baylor

3. Kelvin Sheppard / ILB / LSU

4a. John Moffit / OG / Wisconsin

4b. Mike Blanc / DE / Auburn

5. James Brewer / OT / Indiana

6. Wayne Daniels / OLB / TCU

7. Ryan Bartholomew / C / Syracuse

Thoner, Excellent job. Just make our picks count.

I still believe that we need to get a franchise qb out of this draft. Without a doubt I am in a distinct minority. Even suggesting drafting a qb with an early pick gets this cranky crowd very riled up. LOL

-Phil Taylor. NG Baylor. What an absolute monster. He allows us to move KW to DE, him and Troupe both play – its hard to stay fresh at 330+

If you move KW and Troupe to DE, why do you need Darious in the 1st? I'd take Von Miller at #3. Then this big fellow in the 2nd.

Thoner, Excellent job. Just make our picks count.

I still believe that we need to get a franchise qb out of this draft. Without a doubt I am in a distinct minority. Even suggesting drafting a qb with an early pick gets this cranky crowd very riled up. LOL

I agree 100% that we need a franchise QB but I dont see one in this draft, so I left them out. I also dont think its a good idea to take a project type like Dalton in the 3rd when we could get a starter at multiple other positions. Unfortunately we have to wait another year to get teh QB.

If you move KW and Troupe to DE, why do you need Darious in the 1st? I'd take Von Miller at #3. Then this big fellow in the 2nd.

Sorry if my wording sucks but I meant move KW to DE and leave Troupe at NG. Taylor and Troup are our 1 and 2 NGs. A lot of people think that since we took Troup last year we shouldnt add another NG this year. I think its silly to expect a 330# man to play all those snaps. As KW would fit better at 5 tech I think it should be our goal to move him there, and addign Taylor in and of itself is a great thing to do. 2 birds, 1 stone kinda deal.

Edited by Thoner7

I agree 100% that we need a franchise QB – but I don’t see one in this draft, so I left them out. I also don’t think it’s a good idea to take a project type like Dalton in the 3rd when we could get a starter at multiple other positions. Unfortunately we have to wait another year to get teh QB.

My view is that if you are not going to draft a more probable franchise qb candidate with a high pick then don't waste a lower round on a backup prospect. In my best case scenario the Bills trade down with a team that covets Peterson or Green and then take Newton at a lower position. Don't be afraid to be bold. Newton is an exceptional talent who in my mind is as good or better prospect than Josh Freeman was.

I just don't know what you guys see in undersized LBs, but on this board they seem to be all the rage. We already have Aaron Maybin, we don't need Von Miller.

My philosophy for the draft is target good players that are a good value at your pick and play a position where they can immediately contribute. Then, take the best one when your pick is up.

I believe rankings should be a bit flexible. It’s naïve to think one can rank players accurately enough to justify taking a WR over a DL guy when the WR is ranked 3-5 slots higher than your DL guy and you desperately need DL help.

*I know I have lots of OL and DL guys listed, but with only 5 picks in my mock I would not draft more than 2 at any position. That is, If I landed Dareus and Taylor rounds 1 and 2 I would not take Jarvis Jenkins in the 4th and would jump to Ziembra. I tried to be realistic here, aka a popular pick in the 3rd is Sheppard from LSU but he will be long gone.

Round 1:

-Fairley Auburn

-Bowers Clemson

Round 2:

-Phil Taylor. NG Baylor. What an absolute monster. He allows us to move KW to DE, him and Troupe both play – its hard to stay fresh at 330+.

-Derrick Sherrod RT. Miss St. The 2nd best T in the draft to Carimi will fall to us as guys like Coztansa and Soldier who aren’t as good are drafted before him.

- Kyle Rudolf or Luke Stocker. We really need a TE. I don’t know much about Rudolf but I do know I like Stocker a lot.

Round 3:

-Mark Herzlich ILB Boston College.. A lot of people don’t think he isnt very good but I do. He is big and strong and intelligent, diagnosing plays very very well. He played inside at BC and also shifted out wide to play the nickel CB role against 3 wide sets. I have no worries about him coving a big TE like Gronkowski. He was great taking on blockers in the senior bowl and would start for us Day 1. Once he gets another year or two removed from Chemo I expect him to return to his top 15 pick form.

-Kendric Burney CB NC. One of the NC guys who missed games due to suspension. He played great in the Senior bowl which has risen his stock out of the later rounds and maybe higher than this pick too. But we cannot ingonre the trend of the multi WR sets in the NFL and teams need CBs.

-Brooks Reed OLB. Arizona. Good size for an OLB who also has a history of rushing the passer. Would be a very good fit opposite Moats in the future.

-James Carpenter OL Alabama. RG or RT, Carpenter could have started at either for the 2010 Bills the last few games and will start at one in 2011

-Marvin Austin DL. NC. Not sure if he falls this far but he may and he is on the list.

Round 4a & b

-James Carpenter OL Alabama. RG or RT, See Round 3. After the Senior Bowl I think he goes a bit higher than this pick. I think he is more than skilled enough to go at our 3rd round pick but I hope the league passes on this under rated O lineman and he is available in the 4th.

-Jarvis Jenkins DL Clemson. The big bog from Clemson has prototype size for the 5 tech and the frame to ad #s to play NG where he lined up in college.

- Lee Ziemba OT Auburn. A prototype RT size wise who has a bright future in this league, potentially a future starter.

- James Brewster OL Indiana. This mammoth of a man was exposed as lacking elite feet, but also a huge road grader at the Sr. Bowl. Would be a monster of a RG.

-Mike Blanc DL Auburn. This talented D lineman is a carbon copy of Jenkins, see above.

The only other guy I can add as a later round guy is the RB from ‘Cuse Carter. He is built for the NFL and runs like an NFL runner. I could see him replacing Freddie as our full time starter in 2012.

I think what you're missing in your highlighted statement (and I'm guessing at your meaning) is that when you rank guys 1 through 10 at the top of the draft, its not like all 10 are in the same tier. In fact it's not even guaranteed that the top five will all be in the same tier. If the WR is #1, the CB #2, and the DT #3, it doesn't necessarily mean that the difference between the WR and the CB is the same as the difference between the CB and the DT. It could be that the WR and CB are elite calibre players while the DT is the start of the tier most players in that draft fall into: good. I don't mean to advocate for one position or player over another, but I think you have to be mindful of the fact that one prospect can be significantly better than another prospect and they can be ranked right next to each other.

All that being said, I like all of the players you are looking at for each pick, but am least enthusiastic about the first round players. The only one of the three I really like is Dareus. I do like Quinn and the DE from Cal and I'm warming up to Von Miller, but I don't know if I really like any of those players at 3.

Round 1 perfect

Round 2 - Would LOVE to get Taylor or Sherrod, (I think we could possibly get Stocker in the 3rd rd)

Round 3 - If we do go for a QB, go for Kaepernick. If not and none of the above players fall to this spot, I would go for OT's Lee Ziemba or Joseph Barksdale first or ILB Quan Sturdivant from NC

After that, go BPA based on need.

DO NOT WASTE EARLY PICKS ON MILLER, OR OFFENSIVE PLAYERS UNLESS IT IS A STUD OL!!

I just don't know what you guys see in undersized LBs, but on this board they seem to be all the rage. We already have Aaron Maybin, we don't need Von Miller.

Because he's a future pro bowler. I don't know what's wrong with you guys hating all the good players because they remind them of Aaron maybin. If you had a clue, you wouldn't be comparing them. Ray Lewis/Derrick brooks- both 220 coming out of college. Both fell. Both SB champs. Both HoF.

Coach saw Von Miller up close, if he reminds people of LT, then he's the guy. .Cameron Jordon DE looks like the real deal. He's the other guy we could grab.

With Batten coming back, Merriman coming on, Moats lookn like a starter. . A couple LB picks.. This will be an improved unit.

Because he's a future pro bowler. I don't know what's wrong with you guys hating all the good players because they remind them of Aaron maybin. If you had a clue, you wouldn't be comparing them. Ray Lewis/Derrick brooks- both 220 coming out of college. Both fell. Both SB champs. Both HoF.

It's simply a matter of difference of opinion homey...chill out and stop lashing out at those who don't necessarily agree with you...it's merely speculation. As soon as you succumb to the fact that none of us actually have a clue as to how a pro football team's draft strategy is carried out, the easier and more fun it will be to post on this board...

My view is that if you are not going to draft a more probable franchise qb candidate with a high pick then don't waste a lower round on a backup prospect. In my best case scenario the Bills trade down with a team that covets Peterson or Green and then take Newton at a lower position. Don't be afraid to be bold. Newton is an exceptional talent who in my mind is as good or better prospect than Josh Freeman was.

thannnkkk you!! Ive been making that comparison for months now....Cam Newton is a better version of Josh Freeman, and in my opinion is more NFL ready than Freeman was at this stage. And its worked for the Bucs...the Cam Newton haters just simply have not watched him play the QB position at all...and all he has done is win national championships....why only one year in D-1? Not his fault he had to sit behind Mr. Florida Tim Tebow...realized he needed to get outta there to have a chance to shine, had to go JUCO so he didnt miss a year, won a national championship there BY HIMSELF and then comes to Auburn and from all accounts, was the unquestioned leader of that team from his first day on campus...that is impressive, the guys just follow him....not taking him in this years draft will turn out to hurt this team more than all the other blown 1st round draft picks of the past decade combined...

He might indeed one day be a pro bowler. I will make you a guarantee though, he won't be a pro bowler on this defense. They simply do not have the bodies on the defensive line to effectively allow a LB to become a star. You're putting the cart before the horse. If you want to spend a high draft pick on a LB after you've rebuilt the line then fine, but until that defensive line is shored up you're going to have an undersized LB getting blown up by offensive linemen all day long.

He might indeed one day be a pro bowler. I will make you a guarantee though, he won't be a pro bowler on this defense. They simply do not have the bodies on the defensive line to effectively allow a LB to become a star. You're putting the cart before the horse. If you want to spend a high draft pick on a LB after you've rebuilt the line then fine, but until that defensive line is shored up you're going to have an undersized LB getting blown up by offensive linemen all day long.

+1

Round 1:

-Fairley Auburn

-Bowers Clemson

Round 2:

Round 3:

Round 4a & b

Round 1: Either Fairley, WR AJ Green, or CB Patrick Peterson

thannnkkk you!! Ive been making that comparison for months now....Cam Newton is a better version of Josh Freeman, and in my opinion is more NFL ready than Freeman was at this stage. And its worked for the Bucs...the Cam Newton haters just simply have not watched him play the QB position at all...and all he has done is win national championships....why only one year in D-1? Not his fault he had to sit behind Mr. Florida Tim Tebow...realized he needed to get outta there to have a chance to shine, had to go JUCO so he didnt miss a year, won a national championship there BY HIMSELF and then comes to Auburn and from all accounts, was the unquestioned leader of that team from his first day on campus...that is impressive, the guys just follow him....not taking him in this years draft will turn out to hurt this team more than all the other blown 1st round draft picks of the past decade combined...

I have made this observation on numerous posts so I apologize for the repetition: For the 4 or 5 games I have watched him he was the best player and most impactful player on the field. Against a very talented Alabama team he not only brought his less talented team back but with the Alabama defense focused on him they still couldn't stop him form making plays.

The people who want to label him as a running qb have not watched him play. He is a dynamic runner who is both powerful and elusive. But that isn't what has impressed me the most. It is his throwing ability. He can make every throw. He has a strong arm, is accurate and has good touch.

Everything negative you heard about Josh Freeman is being repeated with gusto on Newton. In my view Newton is a more talented verson of Josh Freeman. There was also the same sing-song non-sense that it was going to take a lot of time for him to get acclimated to the pro game. He has made an immediate impact on Tampa. He, more than any other player, has elevated this beleagured franchise into respectability.

The ideal situation is for the Bills to make a deal to move down a bit in the draft and then take Newton. There comes a time when a loser and embarrassing franchise do something to excite the fan base and give the franchise a better chance to compete. That can only be done with a legitimate franchise qb.

Just my 2 cents. Id LOVE to get Newton in Buffalo. The guy has played one year of college football, and there is no one here that can tell me he cant develop into an NFL QB. He is big, strong arm, athletic, pretty damn accurate, and a great leader. The guy gets a bad rap because his "dad" took some gifts. Give me a break. I've been around hundreds of college football players and see it first hand. Virtually every starter in college football is guilty of crap like this. He just got caught.

Also, please stop comparing Von Miller to Derrick Brooks and Ray Lewis. Neither one of them are pass rushers. Neither one of them are 6'3 and lanky. This is literally like comparing Haloti Ngata and Warren Sapp just because they are both defensive tackles. They are polar opposites

Edited by coseybedaman

+1

People give Poz a lot of grief and they are right that he isn't a world beater, but for a 2nd round pick he's pretty good. I'd say far above the average.

We forget: with Willis already taken by SF, if Lynch wasn't there, the Bills would've taken Poz with their 1st round pick. Getting him in the 2nd was good value. Unfortunately, he just hasn't turned out to be an Urlacher.

The deciding factor on Newton will be his football acumen. From watching I have no idea if he understnads whats going on around him or if he was able to just dominate physically. That said Im not certain Big Ben is too quick thinking but he makes his money in other ways - which I am sure Newton could do, ie shake off defenders like rag dolls and extending the play. But, I did here Chisec (sp?) on teh radio talking about how inteligent Newton is, and how he does understand coverages and what is happening around him. If Chan can sit down with the kid and decides that he is worthy, then I assume the Panthers will see that too and take him at 1. He is a very intrguing prospect.

The deciding factor on Newton will be his football acumen. From watching I have no idea if he understnads whats going on around him or if he was able to just dominate physically. That said Im not certain Big Ben is too quick thinking but he makes his money in other ways - which I am sure Newton could do, ie shake off defenders like rag dolls and extending the play. But, I did here Chisec (sp?) on teh radio talking about how inteligent Newton is, and how he does understand coverages and what is happening around him. If Chan can sit down with the kid and decides that he is worthy, then I assume the Panthers will see that too and take him at 1. He is a very intrguing prospect.

My gut feeling is that if he's there at #3, the Bills will take him.