2 fatboys?

firemedic

Let me throw this to the experts............

What about a 4-3 with 2 huge fatbodies (ala Pat Williams/Ted Washington) playing at the same time (lot of $, yes). Absolute destruction to any ground game AND good pressure up the middle (QB's face) which is where you want it during passing downs. Get a raging DE and I think you're set.

Too much ignorance or is this plausible?

Thanks for your time, people.

GO BILLS

What about a 4-3 with 2 huge fatbodies (ala Pat Williams/Ted Washington) playing at the same time (lot of $, yes). Absolute destruction to any ground game AND good pressure up the middle (QB's face) which is where you want it during passing downs. Get a raging DE and I think you're set.

GO BILLS

Not only is this possible, it's pretty easy to put together. Draft Bowers at 3, and trade a future 3rd for Haynesworth as soon as a cba is done. Bills instantly have the best front four in the NFL.

GO BILLS

As far as I remember, and I was pretty mad about this, so I'm quite sure I remember it right - they never played Pat/Ted side by side in a 4-3. They were 3-4, so it was usually one or the other.

Then Greggo comes on board and says we're changing to 4-3 and I'm like excellent, we're going to be like the Ravens with Pat and Ted playing Sam and Tony........But, no sooner they make the switch than they get rid of Ted.

Except for the year or two we had Pat and Sam together, we've been chasing for another fat guy ever since.

As far as I remember, and I was pretty mad about this, so I'm quite sure I remember it right - they never played Pat/Ted side by side in a 4-3. They were 3-4, so it was usually one or the other.

Then Greggo comes on board and says we're changing to 4-3 and I'm like excellent, we're going to be like the Ravens with Pat and Ted playing Sam and Tony........But, no sooner they make the switch than they get rid of Ted.

Except for the year or two we had Pat and Sam together, we've been chasing for another fat guy ever since.

Not so fast there. Does anyone other than myself recall the Bills opener in 2000 against the Titans, which the Bills one, yet the Titan's running game featuring Eddie George was totally shut down as was the entire Titans offense? George 17 carries for 37 yards, Titans totals 20 carries, 53 yards. The Bills went 1st & 2nd downs most of the game with Pat and Ted side by side. It wasn't often, but the Bills did use both together from time to time.

GO BILLS

Well, that would mean the Bills would have to go out and find those "fatbodies", as they aren't currently on the roster...but I love the idea...when Pat Williams and Ted Washington were playing together, and healthy, the Bills run defense was near impossible to run on. I miss that...the Bills have had so many ways to lose over the last 10 years...teams passing all over them, teams running all over them...for some reason, getting run all over hurts more to me, than getting bombed on. It not only eats the clock up, but gives the Bills absolutely zero chance to win a game...at least getting torched through the air, gives the offense some chance of winning a shootout...however unlikely that is...and I just can't stand to see multiple missed tackles, game after game...

Not so fast there. Does anyone other than myself recall the Bills opener in 2000 against the Titans, which the Bills one, yet the Titan's running game featuring Eddie George was totally shut down as was the entire Titans offense? George 17 carries for 37 yards, Titans totals 20 carries, 53 yards. The Bills went 1st & 2nd downs most of the game with Pat and Ted side by side. It wasn't often, but the Bills did use both together from time to time.

So, you're using one game to tell me not so fast? I'm sure there were times they were on the field together, but their base defense was a 3-4. I'd have to love to see them in a base 4-3. Or, if they were going to cut Ted, stick with the 3-4! And, the Bills coaches have been making the same mistake ever since. Not using the players strengths, like good coaches do, but trying to put square pegs in round holes (don't get me started on Tampa 2!)

Not only is this possible, it's pretty easy to put together. Draft Bowers at 3, and trade a future 3rd for Haynesworth as soon as a cba is done. Bills instantly have the best front four in the NFL.

Bowers is over-rated IMO. Plus if we didn't that don't we already have the bumb Maybin for that role as a 4-3 DE. I would put him to work. I do like that idea though, but I think the front office knows what they want, plus our Hybrid D is coming together and Offensive coordinators wont know what to expect and half time adjustments will be hard to figure out if they don't know what defense we would use in the second half...

So, you're using one game to tell me not so fast? I'm sure there were times they were on the field together, but their base defense was a 3-4. I'd have to love to see them in a base 4-3. Or, if they were going to cut Ted, stick with the 3-4! And, the Bills coaches have been making the same mistake ever since. Not using the players strengths, like good coaches do, but trying to put square pegs in round holes (don't get me started on Tampa 2!)

You clearly said "never" (see above). While it wasn't their base defense, your "never" statement was completely inaccurate. It was also used periodically in other games and of course, in goal line situations.

Last I knew, "never" didn't mean some of the time, periodically, or infrequently.

You clearly said "never" (see above). While it wasn't their base defense, your "never" statement was completely inaccurate. It was also used periodically in other games and of course, in goal line situations.

Last I knew, "never" didn't mean some of the time, periodically, or infrequently.

So ignore the next sentence where I said it was usually one or the other. What does usually mean?

So ignore the next sentence where I said it was usually one or the other. What does usually mean?

You said, " As far as I remember, and I was pretty mad about this, so I'm quite sure I remember it right - they never played Pat/Ted side by side in a 4-3. They were 3-4, so it was usually one or the other."

Not dismissing your second sentence, but that doesn't change your first statement one iota, which wasn't correct.

Out.....

GO BILLS

My favorite D-line formation of all time: they called it "the Package" when Washington and Williams lined up together.

Buddy Nix publicly states that we're a 3-4 team and he will draft for a 3-4 defense. So naturally, it's only logical that we should all talk about drafting 4-3 guys like we're going to be predominantly running a 4-3. We're going to have 4-3 sets because the personnel we still have are geared towards a 4-3. If we keep drafting 4-3 players, then we'll never be able to make the transition to the 3-4. But I guess you guys are perfectly happy having a defensive scheme where half of the players don't fit that scheme.

You said, " As far as I remember, and I was pretty mad about this, so I'm quite sure I remember it right - they never played Pat/Ted side by side in a 4-3. They were 3-4, so it was usually one or the other."

Not dismissing your second sentence, but that doesn't change your first statement one iota, which wasn't correct.

Out.....

Oh, OK - I'll try to parse each word that I ever utter on a message board. You obviously are dismissing my 2nd sentence.........It's very clear what I meant. Their main D was 3-4, so as rule, not as an exception, they didn't play side by side. That is what the word usually means.......By saying that, you know damn well I meant that they never played side by side as the starting D or regular D.

Gregg comes in and changes to 4-3 and then trades one of the two run stuffers that would make that D work away.

This may be the stupidest argument I've been in on a message board.