Interesting financial developments in Nassau County

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Features/2011/01/27/17054871.html

Interesting article detailing a power struggle between a county executive and the financial authority...

Even after making allowances for the "reality slams philosophy in the face with a brick" event that happens with every newly elected/appointed leader, this executive sounds like a real shmuck.

Which does not stop me from wondering why NISA seems to have an open-ended (time-wise) mandate from the state...

Even after making allowances for the "reality slams philosophy in the face with a brick" event that happens with every newly elected/appointed leader, this executive sounds like a real shmuck.

Which does not stop me from wondering why NISA seems to have an open-ended (time-wise) mandate from the state...

We bail you out once, we own you for life. Nice precedent there NY.

NIFA sat on its hands for eight years while a Democrat was in office. The first Republican is elected County Executive and suddenly they come out of the woodwork?

With that said, I had very high hopes for Mangano and to a point still do. But when he was giving speeches about "cutting waste and spending" while at the SAME time erecting HUGE signs at the entrance to every County park that read 'ED MANGANO WELCOMES YOU TO XXXX PARK", I realized we have just another NY political hack on our hands.

Serious question: what exactly does a 'county' government do? Do the individual towns in NY not have their own government structure/schools/budgets/police force/etc?

In CT we have the state gov't and the city/town gov't and that seems to cover all the bases.

Serious question: what exactly does a 'county' government do? Do the individual towns in NY not have their own government structure/schools/budgets/police force/etc?

In CT we have the state gov't and the city/town gov't and that seems to cover all the bases.

It adds another layer of taxes and bureaucracy. Yay!

CT got rid of county services b/c it was rife with corruption (most of all, the county sheriffs).

It varies from state to state. But also consider that some states have counties larger than CT

It varies from state to state. But also consider that some states have counties larger than CT

I was asking specifically about NYS. What does the size of the county matter? Do the towns within each county not have full gov't structures? Are there efficiencies gained by centralizing certain functions? If so, which ones?

I was asking specifically about NYS. What does the size of the county matter? Do the towns within each county not have full gov't structures? Are there efficiencies gained by centralizing certain functions? If so, which ones?

In most states, not entirely sure about NYS, there are many areas within a County that aren't incorporated - that is, they're not in any town. Hence, they fall under County governance. In the smaller, more densely populated New England States, RI, CT, maybe MA, I think there's little to no area that's not an incorporated town. Hence, the County government is not needed. They still have county structures; they just don't need to perform all the civil services that you usually associate with a gov. structure.

But, the County government and City Governments essentially do the same thing. Typically, I think, City services trump County services. So, you'd call the City police not the County Sheriff, for example. But, there are all sorts of complications and/or overlaps regarding jurisdiction of services that are usually worked out with intergovernmental memorandum's of understanding between the Cities and Counties. That's it in an acorn-sized nutshell.

Edited by Dan

In most states, not entirely sure about NYS, there are many areas within a County that aren't incorporated - that is, they're not in any town. Hence, they fall under County governance. In the smaller, more densely populated New England States, RI, CT, maybe MA, I think there's little to no area that's not an incorporated town. Hence, the County government is not needed. They still have county structures; they just don't need to perform all the civil services that you usually associate with a gov. structure.

Well that certainly makes sense in Montana, but gets us back to the question of the purpose of a county government in one of the most densely populated areas of the country -- which presumably has a full government structure in each town.

But, the County government and City Governments essentially do the same thing. Typically, I think, City services trump County services. So, you'd call the City police not the County Sheriff, for example. But, there are all sorts of complications and/or overlaps regarding jurisdiction of services that are usually worked out with intergovernmental memorandum's of understanding between the Cities and Counties. That's it in an acorn-sized nutshell.

So in short, UCONN James nailed it.

On a related note, can anyone tell me what purpose Connecticut serves?

Hedge funds and college basketball.

Well that certainly makes sense in Montana, but gets us back to the question of the purpose of a county government in one of the most densely populated areas of the country -- which presumably has a full government structure in each town.

True that it doesn't serve much purpose in Nassau county. But what about Chautaqua, Cattaraugus, etc? NY State's version of Pennsyltucky isn't quite as densely populated as Nassau County.

I thought all of Long Island was Nassau county... I didn't know that there was Suffolk.

KD is right... Nassau Cty has to be so densely populated... Is there any unincorporated areas? There's gotta be. Even here in parts of the most densely populated areas of the Chicago area there are unincorporated areas.

True that it doesn't serve much purpose in Nassau county. But what about Chautaqua, Cattaraugus, etc? NY State's version of Pennsyltucky isn't quite as densely populated as Nassau County.

Voting in most states is at the county level... So is vehicle registration (I think states like Iowa, Ohio, FLA (pre-2000...;) ;) ), and Indiana... etc... Isn't that the reason the county name is on the plate/tag?

Yet, New York has centralized voting and DMV... Right?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois