Green or Peterson

BeastMode54

Buddy Nix seems to want to employ take the best player on the board strategy. I'm a big fan of Marcel Dareus from Alabama as a 3-4 End to hep our atrocious run d. However, he is rated lower than WR AJ Green and CB Patrick Peterson. I don't think we need another WR at this point, but we could trade Evans for a pick and draft Green who is being labeled as Calvin Johnson 2.0. Also, I have been so sick of drafting DB's. But if you look at our team, McKelvin hasn't fully developed, McGee can't stay on the field, Florence is a FA, WHitner is a FA, Wilson is a FA, Youboty is FA. CB actually might be a position of need for us depending on how things pan out and Peterson is listed as the best DB people have seen in a very long time. My question is, would you guys be angry if we took one of these two guys, or do you want defense all the way? Or Gabbert or Newton I guess as well, but I think they are more of a risk to hones

My guess is they take Peterson. You are completely 100% right. We will have a major need for a true shut down CB. Peterson might be able to play every position in the defensive backfield, and he might be the best player in the board when we draft by far. We still have Easley on the back burner so I don't think WR will be taken, however I would take it if we could even get a 4th for Evans(IMO, that's about all he's worth). Peterson could be the next shut down corner in the league. It's worked out pretty well for the Packers and Jets to have shut down corners that you can put out there against any teams best WR and not have to worry about it.

Very good post. I just hope everyone is preparred for this draft, it's Looking like some Bills fans will be upset.

Buddy Nix seems to want to employ take the best player on the board strategy. I'm a big fan of Marcel Dareus from Alabama as a 3-4 End to hep our atrocious run d. However, he is rated lower than WR AJ Green and CB Patrick Peterson. I don't think we need another WR at this point, but we could trade Evans for a pick and draft Green who is being labeled as Calvin Johnson 2.0. Also, I have been so sick of drafting DB's. But if you look at our team, McKelvin hasn't fully developed, McGee can't stay on the field, Florence is a FA, WHitner is a FA, Wilson is a FA, Youboty is FA. CB actually might be a position of need for us depending on how things pan out and Peterson is listed as the best DB people have seen in a very long time. My question is, would you guys be angry if we took one of these two guys, or do you want defense all the way? Or Gabbert or Newton I guess as well, but I think they are more of a risk to hones

I think they are giving us the hint that they are taking Green or Peterson. They can care less about what the needs are and are strictly going after the best position. Peterson may become a steel if they agree on a rookie cap because if he is as good as they say, then go for him. Want we want and what we get are two different things here. I wouldn't reach for what we need, but would rather we take a DT, but if the other two teams take them then we go after Peterson or Green. I really see us taken either two at #3 myself.

what worries me about Peterson is that everyone was saying McKelvin was the next shut down corner, and Revis gets drafted later and becomes elite. I would hate to see us draft Peterson and then see Prince Awakamura from Nebraska become the player we thought Peterson would. There are very few "locks" in a draft and I'm not sure anyone is this year. I also worry that Petersons measurables are going to impress rather than game tape. However, at 6'2 212, if he runs a sub 4.3 40, that's immense size and speed for the position and he could lineup with receivers of all shapes and sizes. This is going to be an interesting draft. In addition, the draft is 7 rounds, so all hope is not lost if we don't like the 1st pick

what worries me about Peterson is that everyone was saying McKelvin was the next shut down corner, and Revis gets drafted later and becomes elite. I would hate to see us draft Peterson and then see Prince Awakamura from Nebraska become the player we thought Peterson would. There are very few "locks" in a draft and I'm not sure anyone is this year. I also worry that Petersons measurables are going to impress rather than game tape. However, at 6'2 212, if he runs a sub 4.3 40, that's immense size and speed for the position and he could lineup with receivers of all shapes and sizes. This is going to be an interesting draft. In addition, the draft is 7 rounds, so all hope is not lost if we don't like the 1st pick

McKelvin and Revis weren't even in the same draft. Revis was '07 and that was the year we took Lynch. The arguement was should we have taken DRC or Talib.

Taking a corner with their top pick is about one of the worst things the Bills could possibly do. When you look around this piece of crap team, the cornerback position is what jumps out at you as the biggest area of need? Come on.

When you read this comment it makes 100% sense. But if you really think about it, with the uncertainties of our FAs and inability to get anything out of our "deep" pool of corners, CB very might well be a position of need. It sucks, but it's true. This is what happens when your past 1st rd. picks don't develop at a reasonable rate and/or aren't retained when their contracts are up.

To answer your main question, I would always draft the franchise CB over the franchise WR, so it would be Peterson for me. But I am hoping that Buddy takes the "biggest risk" according to most fans posting on this board, and drafts the best QB he has rated with the number 3 overall pick.

Edited by BillsPhan

Picking a DB or a WR at this spot in the draft would be just as stupid as taking another RB. I just don't understand how someone who specializes in talent could be so stupid and so wrong every single year. Seriously, pick the best LB or DT/DE and start getting this POS team out of the dumps once and for all.

McKelvin and Revis weren't even in the same draft. Revis was '07 and that was the year we took Lynch. The arguement was should we have taken DRC or Talib.

Yes, that's true. Talib has turned out to be a stud. Also, which draft was Brandon Flowers in. He's a beast as well

Last year these threads were about picking Spiller. They slowly built up validity and (gasp!) support the more often the appeared on the board. "He's explosive! The best player available! There's only one Spiller!" ... how'd that turn out?

I'm not as high on the WR corps as most people are. Outside of Lee and Stevie there's not much there other than average to below average NFL wide receivers. So Green would be a huge upgrade at WR. Peterson would come in as the best player in the defensive backfield by leaps and bounds as well. So I can see why people would be willing to accept either pick (let's be honest, we don't have any other choice but to accept whoever they pick).

Still, they'd not be the ones I'd look at in the first round. I'd rather address the front 7, especially LB. But if you held a gun to my head and asked me to choose between just those two, it's Peterson in a heartbeat. Green does nothing to help this team win games NEXT season. He does sell a lot of tickets though ...

Picking a DB or a WR at this spot in the draft would be just as stupid as taking another RB. I just don't understand how someone who specializes in talent could be so stupid and so wrong every single year. Seriously, pick the best LB or DT/DE and start getting this POS team out of the dumps once and for all.

Correctamundo.

The problem with being too rigid on the 'best player available' strategy is that you are just guessing at who that might be. Early returns indicate that CJ Spiller was most likely not the best player available at #9 last year, while players at need positions went elsewhere. Also, the value of the players projected in any range of 5-10 picks is going to be very similar. Thus, unless you think you are getting exceptional value (i.e., Green Bay picking Aaron Rodgers at #24 in 2005), teams are foolish to not also consider their specific needs.

It's thinking like this that has gotten the Bills into the spot they are in. Everything on offense and defense begins with the line. If you're not solid on the line nothing else matters. You can have all star cornerbacks, but they can't cover the receiver all day if the pressure doesn't get to the QB. You can have the best receivers, but if the QB doesn't have time to get the ball to them it doesn't matter. Let's fix the lines first and then start worrying about other stuff.