Nick Fairley May not go first....

Rockinon

its easy to spike after the game he played in the championship, but i expect expectations to settle a little lower then that high water mark. i think his offseason, much like the rest of his career to be good, but not as good as that game. as discussions progress, he does have some red flags.

that said i still think hes a gimme for top 3 but i dont think hes 100% assured of 1st overall yet.

Whatever. I hope the Panthers and Broncos pass on him because of his post-whistle activities. I'd love a guy who plays with that kind of emotion (and I think most GMs would as well).

im by no means saying bowers or anyone deserve to be ahead of him, but i think theres more then just that. what did he do his other two years at auburn? are there question marks around the auburn program that make you investigate his background a little closer? were the late hits a product of a coach telling him to play through the whistle, or were they trying to stop him and he doesnt take to the coaching well?

with a #1 pick you are investing 70 mill on a contract potentially, and those are all things id want my gm to look at. you get one shot at that pick and it can hurt you bad when you miss or save your franchise when you hit. unlike a FA you really dont know how he will perform against nfl talent. the SEC has good lineman, but on the inside, there werent studs that he faced this year. he also had a ton of talent around him.

all that said i think we would be crazy to pass at our pick, but i wouldnt be shocked if he came down from his absolute number one status as things move forward.

I read an SI article about him not too long ago. The article was generally glowing, but there were still some things in the article that would cause me concern if I were about to pay him millions and millions of dollars.

The biggerst concerns are:

(1) He appears to have motivational issues. We have all seen what happens when you pay a boat load of money to someone who is not a self motivator (e.g., Mike Williams)

(2) He had one good year in college - and, if I remember the article correctly, it was not until October when the light actually went on for him.

Having said all that, he is a huge talent. The question is do you trust him to work and play like a top draft pick after you pay him millions of dollars in guaranteed money?

He's a talent for sure, but the growing concerns about work ethic, attitude, and cheap shots, are a little alarming. Not to mention he's only done it for a year AND he stated he'd like to play, "anywhere that isn't cold". Even if he did say this tongue in cheek, it's still not the best response to, "so where would you like to play?". He may be boom or bust, similar to predraft Maybin, but unlike Maybin, at least he performed at a top level against the best competition.

I would rather have Marcell Dareus then Fairley to be honest. Fairley seems like a one year wounder. Dareus has played dominant in his junior and senior seasons at Alabama and was a solid contributor in his Sophmore season as well. Fairley didn't play much last season and wasn't a dominant contributor when he played.

I would rather have Marcell Dareus then Fairley to be honest. Fairley seems like a one year wounder. Dareus has played dominant in his junior and senior seasons at Alabama and was a solid contributor in his Sophmore season as well. Fairley didn't play much last season and wasn't a dominant contributor when he played.

I agree . Dareus is my vote.

There have been some Haynes worts comparisons about motivation.

for more than that i have become no longer interested. If we get him it will be a focal point about our ability to draft i the first round. I see too much risk for us.

If you folks dont know already i am a M.D. fan from 'Bama. Not just be he fits well (i think/ DL flex. can play more than one position or scheme) but i guess his style of play. From what i have seen. He sees the field and pursues till the whistle kinda guy.

intangibles/character are a + also. in comparison to fairley bowers.

There have been some Haynes worts comparisons about motivation.

for more than that i have become no longer interested. If we get him it will be a focal point about our ability to draft i the first round. I see too much risk for us.

If you folks dont know already i am a M.D. fan from 'Bama. Not just be he fits well (i think/ DL flex. can play more than one position or scheme) but i guess his style of play. From what i have seen. He sees the field and pursues till the whistle kinda guy.

intangibles/character are a + also. in comparison to fairley bowers.

You make a good point :blink: