Packers fan fired from Chicago-area job

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... I just read that... Was a car dealership in Oak Lawn (South Suburb).

Not for wearing the Packers tie... But for not taking it off.

It was a sales job...

See that is the thing about this rivalry that I never understood... There is like no "buffer zone." GB/WI and CHI/ILL are so damn close... Almost one. When the state of Illinois became a state, it actually used slight of hand to dupe Congress in moving the border between WI terr. and Illinois to where it is today... Farther away from the prime commercial zone at the end of the lake.

At least when we mention the BFLO-MIA rivalry... There is at least some room between the two places. What I am saying is that in the Chicago area--- You see quite a mixing of fans and it seems normal. There are many, many Packer fans in CHI... Coming from BFLO, to me, that is strange. I got used to it because of that non-existant "buffer zone."

Now... I live on the Indiana (Illinana) border... Head into Indiana and you have the Colts begin to dominate the place with a mixing of Bears fans and their stuff.

Sounds to me like the salesman was looking for trouble. If my boss asks me to take off a tie -- I take off my tie.

Exactly. Could you imagine someone wearing a Dolphins tie at Niagara Nissan the day after they had beaten the Bills in the playoffs? I know, Bills? Playoffs? It's almost like a fantasy at this point. But still, that would not be cool.

Exactly. Could you imagine someone wearing a Dolphins tie at Niagara Nissan the day after they had beaten the Bills in the playoffs? I know, Bills? Playoffs? It's almost like a fantasy at this point. But still, that would not be cool.

Apples and oranges and hence what I posted above. The BFLO-MIA rivalry is so unlike the CHI-GB thing. There is no "buffer zone" here. As an outsider, I sometimes see it as one region... It really is. Both CHI and GB embody many of the same values.

Like the Cubs-Sox or Yankees-Mets.

That guy doesn't deserve a job. What part of the word "boss" does he not get?

The title should have read…"Packer Backer Fired for Being an Overindulged Idiot"

What exactly, did the guy do to deserve to get fired? And what grounds does the boss have for firing him? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guy's professional attire he wore to work.

What exactly, did the guy do to deserve to get fired? And what grounds does the boss have for firing him? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guy's professional attire he wore to work.

He pissed his boss off on multiple occasions. This in a field where the only required job skills are kissing ass.

Exactly! Well said.

It is sports... Silly sports... Everybody should be above the fray and personal vendettas. Nothing is wrong with the tie. The Packers have bragging rights to this area... That is what bragging rights means! It is the boss that is being petty and can't get off the "power trip." Suck it up Bears' fans. This was scripted as a "classic"... An "epic battle" that has happened only one time (1941) in the teams 100 or so games... Old-time football. Nitschke v. Ditka. The real sad part is we get the whole new age Cutler thingy! Anyway, I regress!

He pissed his boss off on multiple occasions. This in a field where the only required job skills are kissing ass.

True. Why can't car shopping be like buying a toaster, toilet seat, or computer?

The tie was disturbing to coworkers and potential paying customers. It's a business, afterall.

Look, common sense has to rule here. This is a guy who woke up and thought to himself, "I'm going to be a big dick at work today." He was told by his superior to stop being a dick, he didn't comply, and so he was fired.

That's how life works. He was asking for trouble and he got it. The douchebag will probably try to sue but I highly doubt he gets a penny.

sounds like a lawsuite waiting to happen. but the guy is clearly an idiot, i know i sure as hell wouldnt be buying a car from someone wearing a dolphins tie the day after a playoff loss, thats common sense. the dude probably sucked at his job to begin with.

*lawsuit (typo) i know how to spell

lawsuit for what? he was warned on 2 instances about a dress code violation his superior reasonably deemed detrimental to their business.

I would have to say that at a minimun the guy shows very poor judgement. He has all year to wear that tie, but to wear it the day after the Bears get beat...I simple do not understand why someone would do that.

Can he do it, YES...Does he have right to do it..YES, but just becasue you can do a thing does not make it a good idea to do it. If sued his boss will say that he was concern about he potenial impact the tie might have on would-be customers. THe boss would say...it does not mean he could never wear the tie, just not so soon after a hard lost. And altough we know that people should not take sports so seriously, some do and we have to respect that, after all we are in sales"

Should not have worn the tie

Edited by gggbills