FA attempts to fix problems at OLB and RT

LabattBlue

I'll be brief...

OLB - Posey, then Mitchell

RT - Walker, then Green

How many attempts does a team need to fix problem positions?

As many as it takes to get it right...let's remember that we have a coaching staff in place now that both, has an eye for talent and a knack to get the most out of a player...

I'll be brief...

RT - Walker, then Green

You're talking (several) different front offices, and if the turnover were actually as limited as you suggest, it'd have looked great for this team. That just isn't the case.

Green's gone, and they are at least looking at a few different options. I'd be very surprised to not see RT (and OLB for that matter) addressed in FA/draft, but they did at least get a head-start on next year with a couple of former third-round draft picks who are already in the system. Given that everyone was as excited as they were about Incognito (and I, too, had hoped to see him given a shot), bringing in more first/early second day talent should be appreciated. Until they prove otherwise, what they have isn't good enough, but I'd like to think everyone is going to take big steps in year 2 under Gailey. I'll include the coaching staff in those wishes.

With regard to OLB, even if Wannstedt is the "ILB Coach," I think he'll be weighing in on the talent available in-house (OK, "talent" used loosely there) and on the market. That has to be a good thing.

I know everyone wants to "fix the tackles"....and I agree.

But I keep thinking how effusive Chan was in his praise of Chad Rhinehardt's play the last couple of weeks, and just be aware he may see that as a solution.

Again, I agree we need to draft OT, but given the fact there are none available at the very top of the draft, we might be looking at this OL next year:

LT - an improved and healthier Bell

LG - Levitre

C - Wood

RG - Urbik (played very well before he got hurt)

RT - Rhinehardt

Essentially I think our OL is already on the roster, and between recovering from injuries (Bell, Urbik), improving in a new position (Wood) and a latecomer who played well (Rhinehardt), it may already be a lot better OL than we saw last year.

But I keep thinking how effusive Chan was in his praise of Chad Rhinehardt's play the last couple of weeks, and just be aware he may see that as a solution.

Again, I agree we need to draft OT, but given the fact there are none available at the very top of the draft, we might be looking at this OL next year:

LG - Levitre

C - Wood

RT - Rhinehardt

Essentially I think our OL is already on the roster, and between recovering from injuries (Bell, Urbik), improving in a new position (Wood) and a latecomer who played well (Rhinehardt), it may already be a lot better OL than we saw last year.

Rhinehardt played guard after Urbik was hurt and i'm not sure if he's played tackle at the NFL level. That said I agree that I think he is in the mix along with Urbik and Hangartner for the starting RG/C spot for next year. With a dearth of young serviceable RTs scheduled to hit free agency I could see them going that route again this year. Would also like to see Wrotto resigned as depth.

LG - Levitre

C - Wood

RT - Rhinehardt

I agree & also learned a new word !! Effusive -- you must have excelled in english of which i was a slug !!! It's a good day i learned something today !!

The question is not how do we fix our RT problem. But it's how do we fix our LT problem? Our solution at RT is to just move Bell there and find ourselves a better LT.

I was just about ready to congratulate the thread for no one saying "hey, let's move Bell to RT!" but no, you had to go and do it. What part about the difference between LT and RT don't you get? Bell is not now, or weil ever be a RT! They are two eff'ing different positions that require different skill sets. Jesus watch some football before saying crap like that.

Rhinehardt played guard after Urbik was hurt and i'm not sure if he's played tackle at the NFL level. That said I agree that I think he is in the mix along with Urbik and Hangartner for the starting RG/C spot for next year. With a dearth of young serviceable RTs scheduled to hit free agency I could see them going that route again this year. Would also like to see Wrotto resigned as depth.

You're right, that's my fault. I was thinking of Erik Pears but I got the names mixed up. We had so many changes in the OL near the end of the season. This was the comment I was referring to:

Erik Pears gets endorsement from Gailey

I agree & also learned a new word !! Effusive -- you must have excelled in english of which i was a slug !!! It's a good day i learned something today !!

Thanks! Considering I have a novel on submission right now with several agents, it's good to hear someone thinks I write well!

Edited by FightClub

I would caution against thinking that recycling the same players will yield better results simply because they are one year more experienced. We need a serious addition of talent at the tackle and (with Wood at C) the RG position. If FAs are not available, devote a couple of our rd 2-4 picks to these positions. But lets not go into next season under the same delusions that we have entertained the past several seasons. Hope is not a strategy.

I'll be brief...

RT - Walker, then Green

How fair is it to reference Posey in this thread and omit Spikes, who we signed in the same offseason? Posey was signed to be a supplement to Spikes and Fletcher at LB.

How fair is it to reference Posey in this thread and omit Spikes, who we signed in the same offseason? Posey was signed to be a supplement to Spikes and Fletcher at LB.

Man, now Spikes. There's a guy who in my opinion was Hall of Fame-bound before that Achilles injury. I loved him as a player and thought it was a sure sign that better days were ahead when he joined the team.

LG - Levitre

C - Wood

RT - Rhinehardt

They still need a RT and there should be one in the draft. There are plenty of RT candidates in this draft who should be available in early and late rounds. Shame on the Bills if they do not get one or two of them!

LG - Levitre

C - Wood

RT - Rhinehardt

Don't forget Pears , Chan really liked his play and he did start for Denver for a few years.

Like your name but you need an avatar, maybe this;

Ground n' Pound

tied posting pic but it wouldn't paste.