The Difference Between Ben Roethlisberger & Cam Newton

What Player Will Cameron Newton's Career Path Resemble?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What Player Will Cameron Newton's Career Path Resemble?

• Ben Roethlisberger
    • JaMarcus Russell
    • Donovan McNabb
    • David Garrard
    • Randall Cunningham
    • Michael Vick
    • Jason Campbell
    • Steve Young
    • Steve McNair
    • Byron Leftwich
    • Vince Young

Yeah Big Ben definitely has more athleticism than a lot give him. I think Newton can be very successful in the NFL, he just has to be in the right position. Get the right coaches with him, get the right system with him, and he'll likely flourish. Put him in a big mess, and he'll likely flounder.

How profound.

There hasn't been anyone like Newton to be honest. People like to compare him to Vince Young but the HUGE difference is that Vince Young throws like a girl and Cam Newton throws like a real QB.

Can't really compare Newton to Big Ben either because Roethlisberger was way more polished as a passer while Newton is even more dangerous as a runner.

I really think Newton is a unique, never-seen-before talent. The big question is whether he is smart enough to handle playing QB in the NFL. My guess is no.

Why don't you think he is smart enough?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? I think you have your head in the sand, with regard to how folks in Buffalo would receive a black quarterback.

If he is good they will embrace him. If he is not good they will criticize him, just like all the other failed white qbs. :devil:

Why don't you think he is smart enough?

Just a gut feeling based on hearing him speak in interviews and the struggles that black QBs typically have in reading defenses in the NFL.

I know that's not very substantial and I certainly could be wrong.

But, sometimes these prejudices are accurate. CJ Spiller sounds extremely dumb in interviews, and as it turns out, he spent his rookie season struggling to pick up the offense.

Well, I voted Jamarcus Russell - but given Kim Newton's proclivity for stealing laptops, leaving Florida for poor academic performance (how stupid must you be to fail out of Florida?), and the money scandal at Auburn, I wonder if Maurice Clarett should have been one of the choices???

Interesting thought. The only difference is Clarett ended his career on a bad note and cam ended his on a high note but it is interesting nonetheless

Frankly, comparing Roethlisberger and Newton has never occured to me, and regardless of the physical stats you list,I don't think they have anything to do with each other. I also don't think that R. Wilson will demand that the Bills pick Newton, and I think this comparison is wishful thinking.

Newton played in college in the SEC. Rothlesberger in the MAC. I watched Rothlesberger in College. Rothlesberger was an outstanding runner in College. I would suggest to you that the year Newton had in the SEC and the BCS championship was far superior to what Ben accomplished in the MAC. I would love to have either CAM or BEN in Buffalo.

Seriously? I think you have your head in the sand, with regard to how folks in Buffalo would receive a black quarterback.

Seriously? I think you have your head in the sand with regard to your knowledge of Buffalo Bills history. Buffalo embraced one of the first full time African-American QBs when we drafted James Harris out of Grambling.

As a QB. To play QB.

If a player performs, Bills fans are quick to embrace him, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

Seriously? I think you have your head in the sand with regard to your knowledge of Buffalo Bills history. Buffalo embraced one of the first full time African-American QBs when we drafted James Harris out of Grambling.

As a QB. To play QB.

If a player performs, Bills fans are quick to embrace him, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. If he plays well, the fans will love him. If not, he will be run out of town like all of the other failed attempts to replace Jim Kelly. I would be one of the first fans in the stands with a Newton jersey if he is the choice.

Good lord, this board really drips with latent racism sometimes.

What President of the United States does Cam Newton most resemble?

1. Barrack Obama

2. Barrack Obama

3. Barrack Obama

4. Barrack Obama

Unless something got deleted i didnt see... your a moron.. the list is mobile QB's of a few different races, some people claim racism for everything, people like you make things that actually are about race minimized because your so busy trying to claim it on everything...the girl who cried wolf did not help herself

Edited by mikey98277

This is outstanding WOW there's a lil race card going on because why is every QB on that list except 2 Black? Its a stretch I know but when I notice that I cracked a smile. Why can't Cam be like Cam? Why compare him to anybody. And how the hell can he be compared to Jamarcus Russell. Lets begin, Jamarcus isn't a scrambler Cam is. Cam is fast Jamarcus is fat I mean slow, Jamarcus is Fat Cam's not. Both have arms ok, Cam's won just about everything invented Jamarcus hasn't. Both are black. So besides they're both black with arms how are the similar again? Don't gimme that read defense BS cuz nobody knows what Cam can do in the league. So how are they similar?

This is outstanding WOW there's a lil race card going on because why is every QB on that list except 2 Black? Its a stretch I know but when I notice that I cracked a smile. Why can't Cam be like Cam? Why compare him to anybody. And how the hell can he be compared to Jamarcus Russell. Lets begin, Jamarcus isn't a scrambler Cam is. Cam is fast Jamarcus is fat I mean slow, Jamarcus is Fat Cam's not. Both have arms ok, Cam's won just about everything invented Jamarcus hasn't. Both are black. So besides they're both black with arms how are the similar again? Don't gimme that read defense BS cuz nobody knows what Cam can do in the league. So how are they similar?

ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23 - my intent was to get feedback on Cam & Big Ben, how they compare and contrast. Cam is Cam - I've never seen anyone like him before. I personally think Cam is a combo of a few guys (he has Big Ben's size & toughness, Randall Cunningham's running ability, and Steve McNair's throwing motion). As far as reading coverages right now Cam is a one read guy.

id say the comparison to Russell is legit. both played very well in the SEC,including playing well in BCS bowl games. Russell had over 350 combined yards & 3 tds in the Sugar Bowl with MVP honors. both are 6'6" tall. both over 250 lbs. both left for the NFL early. sounds legit to me.

Good lord, this board really drips with latent racism sometimes.

What President of the United States does Cam Newton most resemble?

1. Barrack Obama

2. Barrack Obama

3. Barrack Obama

4. Barrack Obama

Many people are getting tired of the hyper-sensativity shown towards racism. I believe both of you before replied to one of my posts a while back when Cam declared, basically, calling me a racist. I ended up deleting the post, you had no reason to say such a thing and this being a web-based board I did not take offense to it.

However, the quarterbacks listed are among the most famous larger framed mobile QB's or players with similar flaws. To put in Flutie's name would have been wrong, Cam is a big dude.

Both Young and Russell had offensive play calling in college similar to that of Newton, plays specifically designed to target a WR that will almost always be open. When Russell has to make decisions he fails much like Newton did in the bowl game. That's a fair similarity. Campbell is similar to Russell, however, slightly better, and like Newton has a large arm.

Roethlisberger is a big QB who can scramble when he needs to, just like Newton. He can use his body to deflect defenders, just like Culpepper, Leaf, McNair and Leftwhich did.

Comparing him to Vick is insane, Newton is not as fast as Vick nor can he run through WR's like Vick can to throw the ball over. Vick is going to struggle next year as DC's dust off their old playbooks.

Cunningham might be a great QB to match to Newton, because if all pans out his career could be similar.

Steve Young is also a lot like Newton, once he puts his mind on something he will do it, running or passing...for better or for worse. Go back and look at Young's tape, he made bad calls.

I also want to add Eric Crouch, Newton will be more like Crouch then he will Aikman.

It is too bad the OP didn't mention Akili Smith, he was black, too. But, Akili played a lot different ball then Newton.

ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23 - my intent was to get feedback on Cam & Big Ben, how they compare and contrast. Cam is Cam - I've never seen anyone like him before. I personally think Cam is a combo of a few guys (he has Big Ben's size & toughness, Randall Cunningham's running ability, and Steve McNair's throwing motion). As far as reading coverages right now Cam is a one read guy.

Your intention was noted it was just the fact that they were mostly all black qbs you compared him to that caught me and others off guard. I wasn't offended it was just kinda weird. But I see the Cunningham or Young comparison I'd lean more towards Randall but id have to see him in the league a while to see if he's more like Young. The problem with Young is I think he's unstable not that he can't make the throws or plays its his off the field act thats a problem. And nobody knows if Cam can read a defense hell I was told JP could read a defense, Trent, Tim Couch, Alex Smith and Cade McNown could and look how that turned out. All im sayin is give him a shot or we gonna have to live with below avg QBs for life.

id say the comparison to Russell is legit. both played very well in the SEC,including playing well in BCS bowl games. Russell had over 350 combined yards & 3 tds in the Sugar Bowl with MVP honors. both are 6'6" tall. both over 250 lbs. both left for the NFL early. sounds legit to me.

What about frame and style of play? So your going off one game? Not speed, agility, arm strength, body type, leadership or style of play? Your just going off one game HAHA you got it. And I could be wrong but didn't the RB Dyer get MVP? You are the weakest link GOOD BYE!

Many people are getting tired of the hyper-sensativity shown towards racism. I believe both of you before replied to one of my posts a while back when Cam declared, basically, calling me a racist. I ended up deleting the post, you had no reason to say such a thing and this being a web-based board I did not take offense to it.

However, the quarterbacks listed are among the most famous larger framed mobile QB's or players with similar flaws. To put in Flutie's name would have been wrong, Cam is a big dude.

Both Young and Russell had offensive play calling in college similar to that of Newton, plays specifically designed to target a WR that will almost always be open. When Russell has to make decisions he fails much like Newton did in the bowl game. That's a fair similarity. Campbell is similar to Russell, however, slightly better, and like Newton has a large arm.

Roethlisberger is a big QB who can scramble when he needs to, just like Newton. He can use his body to deflect defenders, just like Culpepper, Leaf, McNair and Leftwhich did.

Comparing him to Vick is insane, Newton is not as fast as Vick nor can he run through WR's like Vick can to throw the ball over. Vick is going to struggle next year as DC's dust off their old playbooks.

Cunningham might be a great QB to match to Newton, because if all pans out his career could be similar.

Steve Young is also a lot like Newton, once he puts his mind on something he will do it, running or passing...for better or for worse. Go back and look at Young's tape, he made bad calls.

I also want to add Eric Crouch, Newton will be more like Crouch then he will Aikman.

It is too bad the OP didn't mention Akili Smith, he was black, too. But, Akili played a lot different ball then Newton.

WOW! Well put to be honest I can't really debate anything you said. You really hit the nail on the coffin (Except leave the Akili Smith line at the door he was horrible)....LOL... I don't really call people out on the racism unless it blantent (like the Micheal Vick threads some of those where awful I mean just straight racist) in this case it didn't bother me cuz it was in context but it was still a little weird. But being on this board some people do have those kinds of undertones in they're post and when they get called on it they retract it and say thats not what I ment. Sometimes I really think Buffalo couldn't handle a black QB. What do you think?

P.S. Vick won't struggle but we can duke that one out another time...LOL...

I think the vast majority of Buffalo would be fine with a black quarterback, just like the vast majority of any NFL city would be fine with it.

Pockets of racists exist all over the place, including here. But don't paint this city as some backwater where racism is endemic. Again, some of you just need to put that card back in the deck for a while and give it a rest.

I think the vast majority of Buffalo would be fine with a black quarterback, just like the vast majority of any NFL city would be fine with it.

Pockets of racists exist all over the place, including here. But don't paint this city as some backwater where racism is endemic. Again, some of you just need to put that card back in the deck for a while and give it a rest.

Couldn't agree with you more Zulu. As long as Cam wins ball games it don't matter. I don't care if my QB is from China and his name is Ed Wang - if he wins games I'm all for it!