2011 East West Shrine Game

bills1960

Who is this game made for? Don't see any big names out there, so is it for mid round prospects to be seen? Also, Idaho's QB Nathan Enderle looks like he could be a sleeper pick. He's 6-5 233lbs. and looks like he is a solid pocket passer. Anyone know more about him?

Has Marvin Austin been making himself none to the QB ?

I heard in an article that the guy was a monster player and this game was going to put him back in the top 10 draft talk .

Seeing as he screwed him self by taking some benefits while in college & serving a suspension for it .

Who is this game made for? Don't see any big names out there, so is it for mid round prospects to be seen? Also, Idaho's QB Nathan Enderle looks like he could be a sleeper pick. He's 6-5 233lbs. and looks like he is a solid pocket passer. Anyone know more about him?

What do you expect when the coach of a 4-12-0 NFL team and his staff are invited to coach one of the teams? :w00t:

Enderle has absolutely terrible accuracy. He averaged a 54% completion percentage in his 4 years of college football.

Absolutely terrible accuracy? Everyone here gets torches and pitchforks when folks call Fitzpatrick inaccurate and he only completed 56 or 57%...

Watched the game pretty closely, and listened a lot to what Mayock had to say about some of his intriguing prospects, here's what I came away with:

- Marvin Austin, DT, UNC looked pretty good. Good lateral quickness coming down the line and making plays. Tough to really evaluate talent in this game because some of the offensive lineman were downright terrible. Mayock said he's heard some people will have austin graded as high as the 2nd round, others may drop him to the 5th round due to his year long suspension. Didn't believe he'd get into the 1st round due to the depth of DL in this years draft.

- I tried to focus on players at positions of need for the Bills (DL, LB, S, CB, OL, etc.), but Delone Carter, RB out of Syracuse had an impressive game. Thick lower body, not fast, but nice quickness to get to the edge. Would lower his pads aat contaact and pick up a couple of extra tough yards frequently. Looked to be a mid-late round draftable prospect, seemed Mayock agreed.

- All of the QB's, including Patrick Devlin (QB, Delaware) were underwhelming. Devlin made one nice seam pass to a TE for a 20 yard gain, but that was about the only positive I saw out of him. Footwork, accuracy and arm strenth were all below average IMO. I've seen him as a 2nd-3rd round pick in a lot of mock drafts, I didn't see enough positives in this game for him to go that high. His arm strength in particular did not look to be NFL quality.

- Mayock focused in on Josh Thomas, CB out of University of Buffalo, and actually had some good things to say about him. Said he thought he'd be a better cover 2 corner in the NFL, but liked his quickness and physicality.

- Jerron Johnson, S out of Boise State looked decent. Not the best athleticism, but was in the right spot a lot and made some nice tackles in run support. Nice form on his tackles. Perhaps a late round pickup for the Bills to add soem safety depth.

- Kenny Rowe, DE, Oregon. Played DE and is listed at 6'3" , 232 lbs., obviously too small to play DE in the NFL, but maybe a good prospect at OLB. Looked to have some good pass rushing skills. Had a nice sack and forced fumble, was actually untouched around the RT (once again tough to assess defenders when no one is blocking them). Don't know if he has the athleticism to make the transition, though. Aaron Maybin would've looked good in this ganme, to put things into perspective.

- I know a lot of people have talked about Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada on this board. Mayock said Moch told coaches he ran a 4.1 in the 40, and then Mayock basically said he'll believe it when he sees it. I can tell you by watching him, he has no where near that type of speed. Looked athletic, but much too small for a 3-4 defense IMO. Also did not look that physical, saw him easily blocked on a few plays, and didn't have the best play recognition on a couple of other plays.

- Akeem Dent (ILB, Georgia) and Orie Lemon (ILB, Oklahoma St.) both in the 6'1"/6'2" - 240 lb. range looked to have some nice instincts and tackling ability for inside backers. I think finding an athletic inside backer who can run with TE's is one of the Bills biggest needs this offseason so I tried to pay attention to them pretty close. Mayock seemed to think both were draftable prospects and both looked above average on the field today.

- Shiloh Keo, SS, Idaho. Not an overly athletic guy, but could be a good special teamer. A 7th rounder or priority FA who could definitely add value to a special teams. He was in on kickoff returns, kickoff coverage, and defense. Versatile guy.

- The QB's and pass protection were so bad that it was hard to evaluate any of the WR's or TE's, so I'll hold comment on them. Charles Gantt, TE, Michigan St., had some nice seal blocks on the outside though, and looked to be a pretty physical TE.

- Lastly, a guy Mayock seems to think has some real potential is Brandon Bair, DT, Oregon. He's 6'7" - 272 lbs., and Mayock said several scouts say he has the frame to add another 20-30 lbs. easy. Said he could make a great 5 technique in a 3-4 and could have 3-4 defenses salivating with his potential. 3rd-4th round pick.

Sorry that was a little long, but I just wanted to comment on as much as I could remember. With the recent signing of Wannstedt, it's tough to peg what the Bills will be looking for on defense in this years draft. Are they really going to abandon the 3-4 after only one year? I don't think so. I think they'll continue to play a combination of both fronts, but will look to add more 3-4 suited defenders in FA and the draft.

Edited by Estro

I think Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien has been mentioned as a late (6 or 7) round prospect -

Tolzien - stats

Tolzien - profile

Of course the guy many here (self included) would love to see in Bills Blue is

Dontay Moch

Moch Speed

Another tweener. This from the Sporting News could have been the same write-up for Maybin except this guy might be able to contribute on special teams while he tries to learn the OLB position Something Maybin couldn't even do.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2011/players/9877.html

Bottom line: Moch is a player that was difficult to get a good feel for when evaluating because his production does not match his athleticism, but he flashes the ability to do whatever he needs to at times. Overall, Moch is a good, but not elite prospect because he just does not make as many plays as a player with his physical talent should make; especially playing at Nevada. In a few seasons I believe he will become a good starting outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, but will need to become more consistent reading and reacting to the play and playing off the ball in coverage. I do believe that with his muscular build, speed, elite speed, explosive closing ability and good competitiveness that he will be a good special teams player; especially on coverage units, which will give him time to develop as a linebacker.

Another tweener. This from the Sporting News could have been the same write-up for Maybin except this guy might be able to contribute on special teams while he tries to learn the OLB position Something Maybin couldn't even do.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2011/players/9877.html

Bottom line: Moch is a player that was difficult to get a good feel for when evaluating because his production does not match his athleticism, but he flashes the ability to do whatever he needs to at times. Overall, Moch is a good, but not elite prospect because he just does not make as many plays as a player with his physical talent should make; especially playing at Nevada. In a few seasons I believe he will become a good starting outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, but will need to become more consistent reading and reacting to the play and playing off the ball in coverage. I do believe that with his muscular build, speed, elite speed, explosive closing ability and good competitiveness that he will be a good special teams player; especially on coverage units, which will give him time to develop as a linebacker.

Well, Moch is bigger than Maybin (certainly big enough to play OLB in a 4-3) and faster than Spiller. Moch's a senior, and projected as a 2nd/3rd round pick - we reached for Maybin, a one-year wonder, way too early in round one, and shouldn't have taken him at all. (I still think that fiasco was Jauron's call.)

It's possible that Maybin's total sucktitude is what's causing some wariness regarding Moch, I think. JMO.

I think Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien has been mentioned as a late (6 or 7) round prospect -

Tolzien - stats

Tolzien - profile

Of course the guy many here (self included) would love to see in Bills Blue is

Dontay Moch

Moch Speed

Great athlete, not a great player ,doesn't seem to have good instincts.

Delone Carter, RB out of Syracuse had an impressive game. Thick lower body, not fast, but nice quickness to get to the edge. Would lower his pads aat contaact and pick up a couple of extra tough yards frequently. Looked to be a mid-late round draftable prospect, seemed Mayock agreed.

Predict he will have a better career than Spiller.