FA & The Draft

Armchair GM

I might be crazy, but I see a few real good players out there that are more realistic possibilities than some may think. There are a few teams who have multiple free agents who would be upgrades on our team, and are impact players where they are.

New Orleans: They have 2 big name Offensive linemen that are free agents in Jermon Bushrod (OT) and Carl Nicks (OG). Considering they made Jahri Evans the highest paid guard in the NFL last year, they'll focus on resigning Bushrod, leaving Nicks subject to a cap casualty. Nicks is a very good guard, and if Wood moves to Center full time, he'd be a great replacement.

Minnesota: Both E.J. Henderson (OLB) and Ray Edwards (DE) are free agents. Henderson comes back from a horrific leg injury and doesn't miss a beat and Edwards performs at his usual high level of play. Can the Vikes afford to resign both..? I don't think so. I'd take either one.

Jets: Almost everyone on the team is a free agent...David Harris is a stud who instantly improves us @ ILB. He also make Poz better just by being next to him.

Baltimore ; 3 of the 4 OT's are free agents. They've been said to believe that 2 of them can fill in as a serviceable starter if they lost Gaither. The drama surrounding the Gaither/Oher swap put a bad taste in both the Ravens' and Gaither's mouth. My only fear is that he will demand a premium and want to play LT and the fact that this staff stuck with Bell says something about they're confidence in his development.

Giants: Another team with a ton of free agent starters. Kiwanuka is comming off an ijury and may be worth a shot as I don't believe he'll garner a tier one contract and could be worth the gamble to see if he returns to form.

By the way, I didn't see Tony Scheffler on the list of TE's and I believe he is a free agent. I'd take him over Bo Scaiffe.

As for the draft, Fairley may slip to us as Carolina may shock everyone and make Green the #1 overall pick. They won't take a QB now that luck isn't coming out and they may want to go DE to fill the hole left by Peppers, but Clausen is going to need someone else to throw to besides Smith if they're offense wants to be even mildy effective. Champ Bailey is a free agent and I don't see Denver resigning him as he's on the downside of his career and they'll need to replace what was a strength on the team, so I see them taking Peterson. If we don't land Fairley, there's still Dareus with Green as a wildcard (I hope not) and if we're smart and sign one or two of the above mentioned free agents, I'd look for us to go Jimmy Smith @ CB out of Colorado. the rest of my draft predictions are listed below:

Rd 1 - Fairley/Dareus

Rd 2 - Smith (see above) or Phil Taylor, DT out of Baylor. Transfer from Penn State @ 6'4" 340lbs. would be a beast in the middle next to Williams in the multi front D that Gailey is talking about.

Rd 3 - Casey Matthews, ILB Oregon. Look for a good combine to jump him up, possibly to a day two pick.

Rd 4 - A. Andre Smith, TE out of VT. Monster blocker with great hands. Is a BIG target @ 6'4" 272lbs.

Rd 4 - B. Donte Moch, OLB Nevada. at 6'4" 245lbs. he ran a 4.25 40 last spring and consistently runs in the 4.3's. If he does that at the combine, he'll jump up to a day 2 pick.

Rd 5 - Tyrod Taylor, QB out of Va. Tech. Perfect fit for Gailey's offense. The kid just keeps getting better and a 5th round pick is worth the gamble on another late round QB selection.

Rd 6 - Nick Bellore, ILB CMU. HIGH motor guy with 19 career 10+ tackle games, 3 consecutive 100+ tackle seasons and a 51 consrcutive game starter.

Rd 7 - Kai Forbath, K UCLA. Lindel is slipping and getting old. This kids got a boot and could even beat out Lindel in an open competition.

FLAME AWAY!!

just a word to the wise on the nola lineman -- they were probably the weakest unit on the team this year. really what seperated last years superbowl team from this years wildcard team.

bushrod played serviceable. he got benched at one point last year, and was beat bad by an injured freeney in the superbowl, owned by ware.... might be better then what we have but not what we need. could fill a hole if we dont find someone else but is a bandaid.

nicks was part of the best guard tandem in the league last year, and they turned into a liability this year. nicks was put on the second team in preseason and forced to re-earn his starting job. didnt handle the demotion well, complaining publicly. nicks and evans were probably the biggest disappointment of the year. brees had pressure in his face coming from the inside all year, evans was a penalty machine.

if they had just about anyone else at qb, those guys would all have given up a ton of sacks as drew was under duress the entire season. and yes, their poor play resulted in a major knee injury to brees this year. id be cautious before investing heavily in either of those players, just as new orleans has been.

just a word to the wise on the nola lineman -- they were probably the weakest unit on the team this year. really what seperated last years superbowl team from this years wildcard team.

bushrod played serviceable. he got benched at one point last year, and was beat bad by an injured freeney in the superbowl, owned by ware.... might be better then what we have but not what we need. could fill a hole if we dont find someone else but is a bandaid.

nicks was part of the best guard tandem in the league last year, and they turned into a liability this year. nicks was put on the second team in preseason and forced to re-earn his starting job. didnt handle the demotion well, complaining publicly. nicks and evans were probably the biggest disappointment of the year. brees had pressure in his face coming from the inside all year, evans was a penalty machine.

if they had just about anyone else at qb, those guys would all have given up a ton of sacks as drew was under duress the entire season. and yes, their poor play resulted in a major knee injury to brees this year. id be cautious before investing heavily in either of those players, just as new orleans has been.

Great inside info...thx!! For what it's worth, I think you can insert and OLinemans name here that had a bad year...doesn't mean they wouldn't return to form, or improve with a "change of scenery."

Great inside info...thx!! For what it's worth, I think you can insert and OLinemans name here that had a bad year...doesn't mean they wouldn't return to form, or improve with a "change of scenery."

i think part of their good year was the hidden holds they were getting away with - they moved the ref to the other side of the line and flags started flying- especially with evans. i think part of their secret to the great 09 line was coaching some techniques that you can get away with, that they werent anymore. nicks has had character question marks since college, and though they have largely been put in the rear view, i think that we saw a regression, and also his poor handling of a preseason benching as red flags that will likely be with him long term.

bushrod i think is a swing tackle on most good teams, and prior to jamaal browns injuries, thats exactly what he was slated to be in new orleans.

just my 2 cents.

After Dareus those picks are iffy , Tyrod Taylor ?C'mon now he wont be a QB in the NFL, Kicker? if we draft a Kicker we have no hope for this team. But your Free agent strategy is good.

After Dareus those picks are iffy , Tyrod Taylor ?C'mon now he wont be a QB in the NFL, Kicker? if we draft a Kicker we have no hope for this team. But your Free agent strategy is good.

Not to be combattive, but ALL draft picks are iffy and talent recognition is subjective

I woudl actually love to see us pick up Tyrod as a later round pick. That kid has made some amazing throws, particuarly the TD pass he threw in the VA Tech bowl game a few weeks ago. He is inconsistent, but I think he'd be great for someone like Gailey to work with.

A GM,

i will have to do some homework on some of these.

Before any flaming should occur.

second pick interesting.

not sold on casey. And i am hoping for a bigger upgrade at the position. But i would not complain.

First pick. Yes but Dareus is my pick with a length. He will draft at a tough spot to get him though without some wiggling i imagine.

ok off to work. Taylor hmmm?

A GM,

i will have to do some homework on some of these.

Before any flaming should occur.

second pick interesting.

not sold on casey. And i am hoping for a bigger upgrade at the position. But i would not complain.

First pick. Yes but Dareus is my pick with a length. He will draft at a tough spot to get him though without some wiggling i imagine.

ok off to work. Taylor hmmm?

You forgot to say "stop" after each line

I woudl actually love to see us pick up Tyrod as a later round pick. That kid has made some amazing throws, particuarly the TD pass he threw in the VA Tech bowl game a few weeks ago. He is inconsistent, but I think he'd be great for someone like Gailey to work with.

Like 6th or 7th perhaps.

:lol:

I don't really think we need an OG anyway. I really like the improvement our line was making until late in the season. I think they all need to get nasty and play with a chip on their shoulders which i think they will this year with being more comfortable in the offense. I like Urbik, Wood, Lavi, and Hang. What we really need is a T just one. I like our Bell, Lav, Hang, Wood, (to be named later) maybe even Urbik line. Why everyone keeps writing Hang off I have no idea he was playing real well and is still young. We would have a very good young Line in my opinion. Now alls we have to do is get them to stay healthy.

I'd take that draft in a heartbeat. I just love the idea of filling up on Defensive front seven. Nice work on finding lesser recongnized talents - because, in the draft, it always ends up that a lot of guys get drafted out of the positions they'd been mocked at leading up to the draft. So, yours is as likely as any other, really.

I think EJ Henderson and Ray Edwards are too old for a team this far away to bother with.

I'd love to see David Harris here, but I don't think he will even get to FA as the Jets will either

sign him or tag him (hope I am wrong because he'd be a great addition).

No thanks to the N.O. OL.

stop

after

each

line

hehe

I don't really think we need an OG anyway. I really like the improvement our line was making until late in the season. I think they all need to get nasty and play with a chip on their shoulders which i think they will this year with being more comfortable in the offense. I like Urbik, Wood, Lavi, and Hang. What we really need is a T just one. I like our Bell, Lav, Hang, Wood, (to be named later) maybe even Urbik line. Why everyone keeps writing Hang off I have no idea he was playing real well and is still young. We would have a very good young Line in my opinion. Now alls we have to do is get them to stay healthy.

Chan mentioned that the Wood at center after Hangman was sidelined was a very tough decision for next seasons line up. I can see that.

If Wood is as good as i think he will be, he should play rg this year. add the right tackle. I really do agree that we are not too far away from a decent season if they can stay healthy

New Orleans: They have 2 big name Offensive linemen that are free agents in Jermon Bushrod (OT) and Carl Nicks (OG). Considering they made Jahri Evans the highest paid guard in the NFL last year, they'll focus on resigning Bushrod, leaving Nicks subject to a cap casualty. Nicks is a very good guard, and if Wood moves to Center full time, he'd be a great replacement.

FLAME AWAY!!

We can only hope that Bushrod will join the likes of Wood, Wang, and Levitre on our O-Line.

ARMCHAIR QB, I like your thoughts on Round 1. Nick, Marcell & Da'Quan are solid. Casey Matthews could be gone by round 3, do you use #34 on him? The guy has a lot of admirable qualities and is a playmaker. Casey's strip on Cam Newton in the Natl Champ game was everything the Bills Defense never seems to do. What are you thoughts on Tamba Hali? I say get Chan, Dave, George & Buddy in a room with his agent and don't let them out till a deal is done. With a better DL/DE, ILB, & OLB the Bills immediately will have the depth, skill and personel to dictate to their opponents how they will attack.

We're pretty good along the interior but if we bring over a mauler like Mankins (allow a man to dream) we'd have a dominant interior that would knock the best defenses on their asses. Hangartner definitely adds value and depth, but is never going to be a physical force who can push big DTs around.

We're pretty good along the interior but if we bring over a mauler like Mankins (allow a man to dream) we'd have a dominant interior that would knock the best defenses on their asses. Hangartner definitely adds value and depth, but is never going to be a physical force who can push big DTs around.

Getting Mankins would make me dance a jig. It would be surreal. I doubt it will happen. What a line it would be though. Mankins is not the type of guy who I think would sit on his azz after collecting his paycheck. He would want to lay the wood on some Wilfork azz as best he could if he joined us.