FA & The Draft

Armchair GM

Hey, Armchair. Would love to see us pick up some quality FA.

New Orleans: They have 2 big name Offensive linemen that are free agents in Jermon Bushrod (OT) and Carl Nicks (OG). Considering they made Jahri Evans the highest paid guard in the NFL last year, they'll focus on resigning Bushrod, leaving Nicks subject to a cap casualty. Nicks is a very good guard, and if Wood moves to Center full time, he'd be a great replacement.

Not impressed by Saints OL this year. Brees didn't get sacked much more, but only because he's just about as slippery in the pocket as Rodgers.

Being hurried a major factor in the lower completion percentage and the higher %INT (exactly double in actual #). Yeah, yeah, 2.5% change not significant. 'Evs.

Not sure of the issue - think the starters on the line were all healthy? They have a new starting TE I think.

Which is not to say their guard couldn't be an improvement here.

I like Baltimore's OL. Flacco gets sacked a lot IMO 'cuz he hangs onto the ball too long and trends towards the "classic pocket passer" instead of the elusive guy with a view of the field.

Champ Bailey is a free agent and I don't see Denver resigning him as he's on the downside of his career and they'll need to replace what was a strength on the team, so I see them taking Peterson. If we don't land Fairley, there's still Dareus with Green as a wildcard (I hope not)

It's going to be interesting to see how the draft falls in Denver. Fox has kept his O staff mostly intact, change-ups on D. Some seem to think Denver needs a QB.

They are 31st against the run which might argue they need a run-stuffing DL almost as badly as we do. I would see DB as lower on their needs list, we'll see.

I think the Big Picture is we all agree we have too many needs to fill through the draft, and need to both draft well and pick up some quality players off champion teams.

I would love us to pick up a couple OL and DL off CHAMPION teams so we have some more guys in the locker room who know what it takes to get there and can lead by example.

Not impressed by Saints OL this year. Brees didn't get sacked much more, but only because he's just about as slippery in the pocket as Rodgers.

Being hurried a major factor in the lower completion percentage and the higher %INT (exactly double in actual #). Yeah, yeah, 2.5% change not significant. 'Evs.

Not sure of the issue - think the starters on the line were all healthy? They have a new starting TE I think.

I like Baltimore's OL. Flacco gets sacked a lot IMO 'cuz he hangs onto the ball too long and trends towards the "classic pocket passer" instead of the elusive guy with a view of the field.

It's going to be interesting to see how the draft falls in Denver. Fox has kept his O staff mostly intact, change-ups on D. Some seem to think Denver needs a QB.

They are 31st against the run which might argue they need a run-stuffing DL almost as badly as we do. I would see DB as lower on their needs list, we'll see.

I think the Big Picture is we all agree we have too many needs to fill through the draft, and need to both draft well and pick up some quality players off champion teams.

I would love us to pick up a couple OL and DL off CHAMPION teams so we have some more guys in the locker room who know what it takes to get there and can lead by example.

It was a lot of things.... I'm sure the injuries to shockey, PT23, Reggie, etc... All hurt the blitz pick ups. I know one major problem was as you got down the depth charts the quick dumpoffs that saved the saints were ineffective. Whereas Reggie is explosive, jones often was stuck flat footed. The extra defender reggie drew could either be dropped in coverage or blitzed.... Plus the refs swapping sides. Even though all 5 lineman were healthy they were fighting uphill. Bushrod and Nicks will not be a leader in this locker room - definitely guys who rely on the professionals around them to keep then moving from everything I've heard

Oddly enough, the emotional leader of the Dline is Hargrove. Leads a pregame huddle everyweek. He obviously had to go get his head together before he could be a good player, just a shame it wasn't with us. Mightve been the biggest injury down the stretch- lost 3 out of 4 with him out and only kept 2 DTs on the active roster. I think we saw the defense struggle without him.

It was a lot of things.... I'm sure the injuries to shockey, PT23, Reggie, etc... All hurt the blitz pick ups. I know one major problem was as you got down the depth charts the quick dumpoffs that saved the saints were ineffective. Whereas Reggie is explosive, jones often was stuck flat footed. The extra defender reggie drew could either be dropped in coverage or blitzed.... Plus the refs swapping sides. Even though all 5 lineman were healthy they were fighting uphill. Bushrod and Nicks will not be a leader in this locker room - definitely guys who rely on the professionals around them to keep then moving from everything I've heard

Oddly enough, the emotional leader of the Dline is Hargrove. Leads a pregame huddle everyweek. He obviously had to go get his head together before he could be a good player, just a shame it wasn't with us. Mightve been the biggest injury down the stretch- lost 3 out of 4 with him out and only kept 2 DTs on the active roster. I think we saw the defense struggle without him.

I think EJ Henderson and Ray Edwards are too old for a team this far away to bother with.

I'd love to see David Harris here, but I don't think he will even get to FA as the Jets will either

sign him or tag him (hope I am wrong because he'd be a great addition).

No thanks to the N.O. OL.

Point taken on Henderson, but he'd be a great addition as a stop gap insurance policy as Merriman (sp) is still a huge "?" to me.

Edwards is only 26 brother.

ARMCHAIR QB, I like your thoughts on Round 1. Nick, Marcell & Da'Quan are solid. Casey Matthews could be gone by round 3, do you use #34 on him? The guy has a lot of admirable qualities and is a playmaker. Casey's strip on Cam Newton in the Natl Champ game was everything the Bills Defense never seems to do. What are you thoughts on Tamba Hali? I say get Chan, Dave, George & Buddy in a room with his agent and don't let them out till a deal is done. With a better DL/DE, ILB, & OLB the Bills immediately will have the depth, skill and personel to dictate to their opponents how they will attack.

Hey Big Scoob, I can't imagine that Casey puts on enough of a show at the combine (and other scouting events) that will warrant a jump that high on the draft boards...if he does, he may not make past the Pack and end up playing with Big Brother.

I love Hali, unfortunately I think he'll be the Chiefs #2 priority after Charles. They have a few guys that'll be FA's, but I can't see them not making their best effort to resign their best, argueably anway, player on the D. They've put together a pretty decent team and need to build around guys like him.