Anne Hathaway.......

JoeF

Keira Knightley as Catwoman. :worthy: I couldn't see her accepting the part; my understand is that after Pirates of the Caribbean she wants more diversity in her roles and would rather stay away from action movies for a while. But damn, she'd be a fine choice - one of my favorite actresses, currently (and not just because I want to lick chocolate syrup off her...any actress than can own a scene with Judy Densch is simply a damned good actress).

I understand that. Knightley's resume has a lot of involvement in the independent film circuit.

Still, I doubt she would have passed up a chance to be in a movie with Christopher Nolan at the helm.

Yes, the Batman movies are in the action category, but not in a "Die Hard" or "The Transporter" way.

He was also very quick to fix his one casting blunder...giving Katie Holmes the axe and replacing her with a real actress! :thumbsup:

I could have done without the Rachel character in both movies. Maggie Gyllenhaal was better, but I still didn't care for her. Obviously she's important for the Dent's transformation, but Batman doesn't need a love interest in all of these movies. His love is Gotham City. Leave it at that.

I have a mixed feeling about this. Hathaway has the look, but as an actress I think she is a bit overrated.

i disagree. take away the pop stuff she's done with way too-sugary director Garry Marshall, and look at what Hathaway did in two more serious roles:

-- She was solid in holding her own against Meryl Streep in the Devil Wears Prada, which is not an easy thing to do.

-- And her leading role in Rachel Getting Married was absolutely phenomenal. Showed what she could do with a true director in Jon Demme.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

i disagree. take away the pop stuff she's done with way too-sugary director Garry Marshall, and look at what Hathaway did in two more serious roles:

-- She was solid in holding her own against Meryl Streep in the Devil Wears Prada, which is not an easy thing to do.

-- And her leading role in Rachel Getting Married was absolutely phenomenal. Showed what she could do with a true director in Jon Demme.

jw

I have a hard time with Hathaway's role in "The Devil Wears Prada" being called a "serious role"...but you're spot-on otherwise.

jw

Hey, you were supposed to have left. Good to have you back.

I could have done without the Rachel character in both movies. Maggie Gyllenhaal was better, but I still didn't care for her. Obviously she's important for the Dent's transformation, but Batman doesn't need a love interest in all of these movies. His love is Gotham City. Leave it at that.

Well, won't be anything we have to worry about for the next film :w00t:

I have a hard time with Hathaway's role in "The Devil Wears Prada" being called a "serious role"...but you're spot-on otherwise.

yeah, probably could've used a better word than "serious." my point is, here was a chance for her to have a breakout role in a big-budget film with a marquee actress and well put-together cast, and was able to provide a performance that wasn't lost among the rest.

how's "big-break" role, sound.

as for "Rachel Getting Married," good god was that a well-made movie all-around.

jw

oh, and since we're talking movies, Melissa Leo hands-down earned that Golden Globes for her work in The Fighter.

AH in "Love and Other Drugs".... meh. I think it was more the simplistic storyline and how the people are total caricatures (not that any number of other movies are not; "Black Swan" for instance). But there is a large amount of nudity....

I went into "Rachel Getting Married" not expecting much. I was completely floored. AH did a wonderful job with her wedding toast scene as Kim was spiraling downward. I think, most of all, it was the father's performance that was the key, and some of the best lines. The two daughters trying all along to win approval from their mother, when they finally realize that won't be coming, and all the nurturing they're going to get must come from each other (the bathing scene was a beautiful way to show the healing of their rift, catharsis, forgiveness/washing away of the past). All along, the camera was/we were like a ghost in the room watching something happening in real time. We proposed a movie discussion thread here on OTW, with RGM as among the first selections, but it never materialized....

Edited by UConn James

yeah, probably could've used a better word than "serious." my point is, here was a chance for her to have a breakout role in a big-budget film with a marquee actress and well put-together cast, and was able to provide a performance that wasn't lost among the rest.

how's "big-break" role, sound.

as for "Rachel Getting Married," good god was that a well-made movie all-around.

jw

oh, and since we're talking movies, Melissa Leo hands-down earned that Golden Globes for her work in The Fighter.

I think Hathaway was alright in "Prada", even if she did hold her own against Streep, she also got upstaged by Emily Blunt.

I did'nt see "Rachel Getting Married", and mostly i've heard negative things about the movie, even if Hathaway is good in her role.

I did like her as the White Queen in "Alice in Wonderland", there was a certain charm she brought, which was somewhat lacking overall in that movie.

Like I said, I have a mixed feeling about Hathaway as Catwoman, but Christopher Nolan seems to know how to get the best out of his actors, and I'm sure he will do that here.

As for Melissa Leo, I agree she deserved the Golden Globe, and she will be a strong contender for the Oscar. However, I would'nt be upset if Amy Adams won the Oscar either.