What do YOU think are the bills greatest needs in order of Importance

My thoughts are this if we move back to the 4-3 (which im assuming we are)

DT

OLB With great pass rushing ability.

CB-Sorry but mcgee cant stay healthy florence is getting up there and unfortunately mckelvin sucks

RT-Hopefully in some way addressed internally or in free agency

TE-I wasnt going to put this because bills fans dont even know what it means to have a good t.e but it really could make a big difference for us.

QB-I dont like Fitzpatrick I just think we have a lot more needs and we can get away with it for one more year.

WR-Hopefully we can do this internally but idk if there is a clear number 2 on our roster assuming and hopefully if Lee is dealt.

Let me know what you think I think its Dareus or Fairly at 3. I wont be furious with Patrick Peterson either as he is a game changer.

Edited by letsgobills46

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be in the minority among this board, but I disagree about us needing any help on the DL. I think Dwan Edwards was fine this year - remember, a 3-4 DE doesn't necessarily notch tackles. His first and foremost responsibility is to take on blockers so that the LB's could make plays. Unfortunately, our LB's couldn't tackle horse-sh*t. Personally, I think that our biggest needs are in the LB corps, in that order. So, my biggest needs are as follows:

1 - OLB: many of the open holes that we gave to RB's were because our OLBs (Kelsay and Torbor) couldn't watch their lane assignments. There were wide open holes where a LB should have been.

2 - ILB: Poz is our only passable ILB (especially with David injured). Not sure what will happen once Davis comes back from injury, but outside of Poz, there isn't a starting caliber LB for our interior LB's.

3 - QB: self explanatory. Nothing against Fitz, but I still believe that this team needs a FRANCHISE QB.

4 - RT: Not sure if I want Cordoro Howard starting at RT for us next season...

5 - CB

6 - TE

1.DL x 2 --- Dareus and Solai would be awesome

2.LB --- A LB that can cover Grankowski and Hernandez when needed but is also stout against the run

3.TE --- Would def. open our offense and spread out defenders if we had a passing threat TE..maybe like Owen Daniels?

4.RT --- Howard doesn't look legit yet , lets see what we have in Wang , or maybe break the bank for Clabo and solidify the oline once and for all...Bell/Levitre/Hang/Wood/Clabo looks solid to me...on paper at least.

I may be in the minority among this board, but I disagree about us needing any help on the DL. I think Dwan Edwards was fine this year - remember, a 3-4 DE doesn't necessarily notch tackles. His first and foremost responsibility is to take on blockers so that the LB's could make plays. Unfortunately, our LB's couldn't tackle horse-sh*t. Personally, I think that our biggest needs are in the LB corps, in that order. So, my biggest needs are as follows:

1 - OLB: many of the open holes that we gave to RB's were because our OLBs (Kelsay and Torbor) couldn't watch their lane assignments. There were wide open holes where a LB should have been.

2 - ILB: Poz is our only passable ILB (especially with David injured). Not sure what will happen once Davis comes back from injury, but outside of Poz, there isn't a starting caliber LB for our interior LB's.

3 - QB: self explanatory. Nothing against Fitz, but I still believe that this team needs a FRANCHISE QB.

5 - CB

6 - TE

If the Bills decide to continue to build a 3-4 defense, then I think this isn't a bad way to go @ all.

Our need does matter if we want to go with a 3-4 or a 4-3. In either case, a big stud of a DT is needed. I personally think that Williams would be better served as a D-end than a 3-4 nose tackle. A NT in a 3-4 needs to occupy 2 blockers in order to give the LB a chance on making a play. Williams is superb at slipping blockers and penetrating to make plays. I'd like to de him a D-End. he would be an upgrade from Stroud.

After DT, my take is best LB available and I don't care inside or outside, bur prefer outside. After that -- RT.

No need to take a TE as I don't think our offense is going to use one other than to block.

Our need does matter if we want to go with a 3-4 or a 4-3. In either case, a big stud of a DT is needed. I personally think that Williams would be better served as a D-end than a 3-4 nose tackle. A NT in a 3-4 needs to occupy 2 blockers in order to give the LB a chance on making a play. Williams is superb at slipping blockers and penetrating to make plays. I'd like to de him a D-End. he would be an upgrade from Stroud.

After DT, my take is best LB available and I don't care inside or outside, bur prefer outside. After that -- RT.

No need to take a TE as I don't think our offense is going to use one other than to block.

While parts of me agree with you re: Williams being a better d-end, it's all really a matter of scheme. Depending on the type of 3-4 that we employ, Williams very well CAN be a penetrating NT, instead of a big body in the middle that the "traditional" 3-4 warrants. Think about Jay Ratliff, and how he's able to play very successfully in the Phillips style 3-4 in Dallas as their NT. It's all a matter of scheme, and whether or not our coordinators and coaching staff have the smarts to employ a scheme that maximizes the talents of who's on the roster. To be honest, we might be better served just simply taking the BPA on the front 7 in the draft, regardless of whether or not they play on the D-Line or LB.

Good topic. We need a Bruce Smith ie a dominating DE Then we need a Biscuit ie a wild man at OLB A real SS would be nice too a la Leonard Smith, but that's down the line.

On offense, we need a QB who is as tough as Kelly was, but smarter, which isn't hard and we need some tackles, though maybe Bell will work out...definitely need a RT in the draft A good TE wouldn't hurt.

Believe it or not, I think the other parts, including coaching, are good enough.

So, where do we get Bruce and Cornelius? Then maybe Luck next year.

#1- Short Term - stop the run and blocking .... DT, OT, TE, OLB

#2- Long Term - franchise QB......QB, DT, OT, TE

short term- Fitz is good enough for 2 years, merriman and moats should improve the OLB....you need DT's who command double teams (we only have one in kyle williams)or someone who can not be blocked one on one. it all starts up front. we need to open up holes on the O-line with better OT's.

long term- we are desperate for a franchise QB....but we can wait on Luck for one year.

While parts of me agree with you re: Williams being a better d-end, it's all really a matter of scheme. Depending on the type of 3-4 that we employ, Williams very well CAN be a penetrating NT, instead of a big body in the middle that the "traditional" 3-4 warrants. Think about Jay Ratliff, and how he's able to play very successfully in the Phillips style 3-4 in Dallas as their NT. It's all a matter of scheme, and whether or not our coordinators and coaching staff have the smarts to employ a scheme that maximizes the talents of who's on the roster. To be honest, we might be better served just simply taking the BPA on the front 7 in the draft, regardless of whether or not they play on the D-Line or LB.

You bring up good points. I won't disagree. The only thing I really want is to be able to stop the run -- or at least slow it down. However we improve our run defense with whatever players is fine by me. I don't think we have the players currently anywhere on the roster that can fulfill that wish.

My thoughts are this if we move back to the 4-3 (which im assuming we are)

DT

OLB With great pass rushing ability.

CB-Sorry but mcgee cant stay healthy florence is getting up there and unfortunately mckelvin sucks

RT-Hopefully in some way addressed internally or in free agency

TE-I wasnt going to put this because bills fans dont even know what it means to have a good t.e but it really could make a big difference for us.

QB-I dont like Fitzpatrick I just think we have a lot more needs and we can get away with it for one more year.

WR-Hopefully we can do this internally but idk if there is a clear number 2 on our roster assuming and hopefully if Lee is dealt.

Let me know what you think I think its Dareus or Fairly at 3. I wont be furious with Patrick Peterson either as he is a game changer.

why would you think that?

Bills ‘D’ to be multiple

Posted by Chris Brown on January 3, 2011 – 4:29 pm

Season one under Chan Gailey was going to be one of transition, particularly on the defensive side of the ball where the transition to the 3-4 was going to be a significant undertaking. So much so that Gailey and defensive coordinator George Edwards knew that a hybrid form of the 3-4 would likely take shape knowing there was personnel still on the roster that had been entrenched in a 4-3 system. Now after witnessing a transition that proved more difficult than most anticipated, Gailey is leaning toward being a hybrid defense permanently.

“There are a lot of people that are called 3-4 fronts,” said Gailey in his season wrap up press conference Monday. ”I think we’ll probably end up being a true multiple front team instead of a true 3-4 team just because our personnel dictates that. I think we’re probably a little bit better suited. I’ve not talked to the defensive staff about this, but just looking at it on the surface right now, I’d probably say we’re going to be multiple front rather than a Kansas City which sits in 3-4 no matter what, or Cleveland which sits in 3-4 no matter what. I don’t see us being that team. I see us being more of a multiple team.”

After finishing last in the league in run defense, and a handful of players performing in the multiple fronts once the Bills played their heavier four man front more often, it appears that being able to have both defensive looks at their disposal is seen as an advantage by Gailey going into 2011.

* Share this:

* Facebook

* Email

* Print

* StumbleUpon

* Reddit

* Digg

Tags: 3-4 defense, Chan Gailey

Posted in Inside The Bills | Comments Off

1. DT

1a DE

2. LB

3. OLine

4. K

5. TE

6. WR

7. RB

8. QB

9. CB

10. S

Whatever I couldn't get in FA, I would draft.

If our defense doesn't improve exponentially next year, it really doesn't matter what we do on offense.

The reason I put TE is so low is because I'm not sure TE is a big part of Coach Gailey's offensive mind set. When we did throw to TEs this year they seemed to catch the ball OK. We went a lot more with 5 reciever sets than 2 TE sets. Were they just not open or not good enough to even try to work into the game plan? Not sure.

Edited by reddogblitz

1.) QB- Unfortunately no one in this draft, free agent or trade market will be the guy this year so although it is our biggest need by far, it is low on priorities

2.) ILB

3.) DE

4.) RT

5.) TE

6.) OLB (although if Merriman is healthy I like him and Moats on the outside)

7.) CB

#1- Short Term - stop the run and blocking .... DT, OT, TE, OLB

#2- Long Term - franchise QB......QB, DT, OT, TE

short term- Fitz is good enough for 2 years, merriman and moats should improve the OLB....you need DT's who command double teams (we only have one in kyle williams)or someone who can not be blocked one on one. it all starts up front. we need to open up holes on the O-line with better OT's.

long term- we are desperate for a franchise QB....but we can wait on Luck for one year.

I like your order of needs the most... the key word in the whole post is LONG TERM people!!!!! Gaily has already gone on countless radio shows and said that the he and Nix are in it for the long haul not for the short term! As much as I would love a great DT that would help us short term this team is still 2-3 years away from being contenders. In the time it takes to develop a young QB they will be putting the rest of the pieces together. WE SUCKED FOR 11 YEARS NOW AND WE'VE ONLY DRAFTED INSIDE THE TOP 5 ONCE! WE WILL HAVE OUR PICK OF 4 TALENTED QBS, AND IF NIX TRUELY BELIEVES THAT GUY IS OUR FRANCHISE QB I SAY GO FOR IT!!!

As several have mentioned, it depends if we are going to be 3-4 or 4-3...

Lots of calls here for multiple DL's - all I can assume is that these people are already writing Carrington and Troup off as 2nd and 3rd round busts after one season. If you think that, don't worry about the draft - obviously Nix has no chance of doing anything right, having gotten no starting value from picks 1-3 last year.

Of course, if you think that, you probably also still think Mario Willams is a bust since the #1 pick (over Reggie Bush) struggled his first year. This just in - DL's do not typically succeed as rookies. Give Troup and Carrington a chance.

The way I see it now, we have 4 DL who we have to hope are good players: Williams, Troup, Carrington, Edwards. None of these guys are LB's. Based on that, I don't see how we make good use of a drafted DL if we are going 3-4.

On the other hand, Kelsay is a disaster at OLB, and Moats is just ok. Poz is so-so in the middle, and we either have a so-so Andra Davis next to Poz or when Davis was hurt a collection of cast-offs. In other words, the NFL's worst LB corps needs an upgrade.

Based on that:

1 - ILB - what this team needs more than anything is the next Patrick Willis, unfortunately, I don't think there's a guy there worthy of the #3 pick so we probably should wait until round 2 or 3.

2 - OLB/DE (who we get here - assuming it's the 1st-round pick, may drive whether we should go 3-4 or 4-3)

3 - TE - if you've been watching the playoffs, you've seen one TE after another be vital weapons to the successful teams. To beat the top defenses, you need a TE who's a 2-way threat to keep the pass-rush honest. We haven't had a receiving threat TE in ages.

4 - ORT

5 - WR - Evans seems to be fading steadily. Johnson and David Nelson are good not great.

6 - QB - the trick is being lucky enough to draft the right one. Fitz can be good but probably not great.

7 - another LB

8 - CB - signing Florence could soften this. McKelvin needs to get smarter to make the problem go away.

9 - S - assuming Whitner is gone. Wilson is OK. Byrd will probably bounce back.

5 - CB

6 - TE

Who's to blame for our 32nd ranked rush defense?

Edited by DreReed83