breakdown of Dareus' bowl game

FluffHead

I've seen Bama a bunch but never really focused on him. For some reason, I thought he seems like Tyson Jackson. Solid player but nothing amazing. You can do much worse but not really a homerrun @ #3.

So to the fans who know more about Dareus, how does he compare to Jackson? More upside?

Funny. Just yesterday I posted that Bowers is the one who reminds me a great deal of Tyson Jackson. What little I've seen of all these players, Dareus looks much more explosive to me than does Bowers. And that was the criticism of Jackson, was that he was everything except explosive. IMO, Dareus has the burst and quickness that Bowers and Jackson lack.

Actually....watching him play reminds me of a YOUNG Marcus Stroud....not the guy we have now that should be cut loose but the guy back when he was a legit pro bowler......

I have said it before and I will say it now.....I dont know if 3 is too high but he to me is a CANT MISS player

I wish I could find a way to trade down a couple of spots....pick up an additional 2nd.....and take him in the 5-7 range......he is just what this defense needs

Marcus Stroud? That's interesting. Very different body types. Stroud is a longer body where Dareus is more thickly built and shorter than Stroud.

Dareus reminds me of a large version of Warren Sapp. He looks like he's going to be a great interior pass rusher and a good outside pass rusher.

:blink:

Sorry. I know. I am going to try harder.

But i really am getting on board with Dareus. whereas i was pretty enthusiastic on Bowers and Fairlyearly on.

I would like to grab him because he will fit almost any front 7 defense we put on the field. And our problem is the run.

I am not as excited for a pass rush from the line as i once was. I think we need a dynamic space eater who can also line up in hybrid formations.

Among other things of course. If we are going 3-4 we need depth at NT and if he can play differnt gaps right away all the better.

If we go for a pass rush end we have not solved the run stop problem.

How about Marcell and JJ watt on our team?

Isn't he too heavy to be seriously considered as The Bills Number One pick?

Can he drop into zone coverage? Aren't we already set - after all, we have Stroud. :blink:

I know he is saying this half hearted, but do remember, in the 4-3 Stroud was very good on this team. I am hoping we go back to the 4-3. The trend is about up, anyway, and we have better players in the 4-3 then 3-4. The only problem is we would be losing Williams' strength, but I would like to potentially see him on the weakside at DE in a 4-3.

I know he is saying this half hearted, but do remember, in the 4-3 Stroud was very good on this team. I am hoping we go back to the 4-3. The trend is about up, anyway, and we have better players in the 4-3 then 3-4. The only problem is we would be losing Williams' strength, but I would like to potentially see him on the weakside at DE in a 4-3.

Actually the last time Stroud played DT in the 4-3 I seem t remember him getting his @ss kicked quite a bit.....

Dareus compares to Kyle Williams in size and combo ability to stop run and penetrate.

If that is true, and i would like to think it's a reasonable statement. If any one could pick up a Kyle at this position in the draft i think they would. And we should. We have Troup developing as a heavy weight nose.? With Carrington and Edwards we could have a nice rotation going on in front.

Next pick on defense should be a linebacker (s) and there are a couple good ones this time around in the middle picks. Who would fit behind Dareus for us then?

Thanks again Fluffhead for the link. I just watched the highlight reel again.

Every Bills fan should see that before the draft. Bill from nyc should have no reason to get hyped up.

We will probably draft the cornerback anyways.

not that there is anything wrong with that.

Dareus compares to Kyle Williams in size and combo ability to stop run and penetrate.

The guy who really compares to Williams IMO is Stephen Paea of Oregon State (6'1" 312 lbs…until the Combine tells us differently).

Dareus is quite a bit more athletically gifted than Kyle Williams or Paea.

Dareus reminds me a lot of Warren Sapp.

Sapp had 96.5 career sacks…the great majority as a defensive tackle although the Raiders did play him at defensive end at the end of his career.

Dareus could play any defensive line position in any scheme and would be a very nice seek and destroy defender against both the run and the pass.

The guy who really compares to Williams IMO is Stephen Paea of Oregon State (6'1" 312 lbs…until the Combine tells us differently).

Dareus is quite a bit more athletically gifted than Kyle Williams or Paea.

Dareus reminds me a lot of Warren Sapp.

Sapp had 96.5 career sacks…the great majority as a defensive tackle although the Raiders did play him at defensive end at the end of his career.

Dareus could play any defensive line position in any scheme and would be a very nice seek and destroy defender against both the run and the pass.

i guess we both think very highly of Dareus...

SI's Peter King put Kyle on his ALL-PRO team with the following comment:

"NT: Kyle Williams, Buffalo. No other nose man is the combo pile-pusher and backfield invader that Williams is."

i guess we both think very highly of Dareus...

SI's Peter King put Kyle on his ALL-PRO team with the following comment:

"NT: Kyle Williams, Buffalo. No other nose man is the combo pile-pusher and backfield invader that Williams is."

LOVE Kyle Williams!

BTW, I'm gonna have to take another look at Bowers. The stuff I saw on him was not that impressive but the scouting reports are glowing. He seemed a bit slow off the line but maybe it was just a bad game.

LOVE Kyle Williams!

BTW, I'm gonna have to take another look at Bowers. The stuff I saw on him was not that impressive but the scouting reports are glowing. He seemed a bit slow off the line but maybe it was just a bad game.

bowers and prince akumara are overrated....

bowers has a high motor, good speed.....but lacks strength and ability to shed a blocker....i like power D-lineman.

Edited by papazoid

After watching this I'm pretty much sold on Darius as our pick. 3-4 lineup Darius RDE, Williams NT, LDE Either Edwards or Carrington. 4-3 lineup RDE Darius, DT Troup, DT Williams, LDE Edwards or Carrington. If Darius transitions well and Carrington emerges this line could be really good.

here are some marcel dareus highlights mixed in an alabama defense highlight video:

youtube.com/watch?v=SFPEv5iA-lg

Highlights are fine, ....BUT I hate the rediculous beginning!

Some "High School" kid making a show of what college is going to "fortunate" enough to pamper him for the 2 or 3 years before he flunks out of school, gets busted, gets injured, or actually gets drafted and hits paydirt. Than goes on to be a bust, gets busted, gets injured in training camp, or becomes a bigger pampered punk.

Pleeasssssee!

After watching this I'm pretty much sold on Darius as our pick. 3-4 lineup Darius RDE, Williams NT, LDE Either Edwards or Carrington. 4-3 lineup RDE Darius, DT Troup, DT Williams, LDE Edwards or Carrington. If Darius transitions well and Carrington emerges this line could be really good.

See, Now we are getting on the same page. Pick up a pass rusher at DE to spell Mr. Kelsay often, an inside lb who can cover under and shed some blocks. Hell we are halfway there on the D side.

Depending on gap playing. Dareus Troup Williams= 34 edwards dareus williams carrington =43

...........................................edwards Dareus Carrington <> Kelsay troup dareus New guy

Add a fat kid who can fill and hold the middle behind Troup as some depth.

Move these two around, Williams and Mr D, anywhere you want any time.

Edited by 3rdand12

I am pretty sure Bama plays a 3-4 defense. Last year McClain went high and this year Hightower was supposed to go high if he declared both Inside LBs, to me that speaks volumes of how well Bama's D-line is playing. I am really pulling we draft this kid, honestly both Fairly and Bowers worry me, granted I am not a pro scout but I still think one and one make two. I only saw Fairly play in the Championship game and while it was a tremendous game I was more amazed by Oregons idea of a blocking scheme then his play. As far as Bowers goes I dont want our first round pick two years in a row from Clemson(its not the U from the mid nineties). Dareus is big and fast and can keep the linebackers clean to make plays while making a few himself.