Get on the record about Cam.

dayman

How do you feel about Cam for the Bills?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Cam for the Bills?

• I do not want him. He's not an upgrade or answer at QB for us.
    • I would take him if he falls to us in the second.
    • I would trade down and get him late 1st or second.
    • I want him, he is the answer. Take him top 5.

Don't want him. I don't buy one bit that he had no clue what his father was doing, so I have a lot of character questions about him.

He has raw talent and skills and reminds me of a more mobile/athletic Ben Roethlisberger, but because his style of play hasn't done well in the NFL, I wouldn't take a chance on him.

He may turn out to be the next Michael Vick and I could be wrong, but I still wouldn't use a top 5 pick on him...nor would I trade back into round 1 for him. Not worth it, IMO.

Do not want Cam Newton. Way too many ifs, and with a #3 pick this team can't afford that. There's really no other reason to debate, since this team has missed so many times in the past decade on 1st rounders. This is a pocket passer league, plain and simple, and Cam newton is not. Even Michael Vick at his very best won't get you to the dance, so why waste your time with a run 1st qb?

What I don't understand about Newton is why are so many people on his bandwagon. To me he's behind where Tebow was last year and many had Tebow being no more than a third rounder.

You must have forgotten that Tebow was a first round pick. At the end of the season he got a lot of playing time and acquited himself well. You won't find one scout or personnel person who doesn't acknowledge that Newton is a much more accomplished passer.

in BCS i can see the physical tools, but also looks a year or two away from being an NFL starter. i dont want to pay a guy $10MM/yr to sit on the bench for 2 years. At #3 i want to draft a guy that can play now. If by some miracle hes there at #35 then consider it. but not #3. give me a defensive front 7 that can start and be a factor day 1

I bet you that the Packers are glad that they drafted Rodgers in the first round and sat him on the bench for 3 or 4 years behind Favre. Now, he is one of the best qbs in the game.

I bet you that the Packers are glad that they drafted Rodgers in the first round and sat him on the bench for 3 or 4 years behind Favre. Now, he is one of the best qbs in the game.

No doubt, but it's apples & oranges. Newton is the mobile/athletic style of QB where Rodgers is a true pro-style pocket passer. Green Bay's game plan doesn't include many QB draws, roll-outs with an option to run, nor does Rodgers take off and run when his 1st or 2nd option isn't available.

I would be on the bandwagon of letting a QB sit for a year or two (I don't care if he's getting $50 million per year) and then letting him go at it. I just don't know if Newton would be willing to do that. Not to mention, if we think Ralph meddles now, imagine if he was paying that much money for his first round pick to sit on the bench. There would be too much pressure from Ralph and the fans to play Newton, regardless of whether or not the coaching staff is willing to play him.

Edited by BuffaloWings

Lot's of posters here. Can't read every topic. Some posters are more vocal than others. Here is the Cam poll. Vote for how you feel about Cam for the Bills. This isn't anything about Cam personally or in college. This is about the draft and future of the Bills.

This poll is public. Everyone will see how you voted. Click the "view" button next to the results in the poll to see who voted how if you are interested.

Obviously feel free to post in here further thoughts on why or whatever you feel the way you do...if nothing else that can keep it quasi-bumped just to get solid poll results.

Of course the Bills should draft Cam Newton with the 3rd pick in the draft to be their QB of the future. At some point this team has to draft a QB. If Newton does in fact declare for the draft (as if he won't), and he falls to number 3, the Bills would be insane not to draft him. I predict he will be a high first round draft choice, perhaps top 5 and certainly not fall below top 10 anyway. One of other 5 to 10 worst teams will take a shot at Cam Newton as their QB. And why not?? The guy is a bigger, stronger younger Mike Vick! Maybe he does not have Vick's natural arm strength, but he looks good enough to me to be able to start in the NFL within a year or two at QB.

Of course I could be wrong. Nobody is guaranteed to be worth a number 3 pick in any draft anyway. But I also think it's crazy to start listing all the best DT's and DE's and LB's Buddy will surely draft at number 3 if he does not draft Newton. Nix proved to me in just his first draft for the Bills that he does not see things the same as the "draft gurus" or we fans do. Nobody thought he would or even should have taken Spiller at Number 9 overall, and then he followed that up by drafting two guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds from small colleges that were not on anybody's draft board, so of course they were considered reaches. Pretty strange top 3 draft picks for somebody who we all considered was a top college scout and life time "football guy", don't you think?

The big major college DT's and DE's and LB's names are being tossed around on this board already, in everyone's mock drafts. Nobody thinks the Bills should even draft Newton at all, even if he was there in the 7th round. Well here's what I think: I'd rather see Nix take Cam Newton at number 3 overall, then to see who he would draft if he even keeps that pick without trading down out of it anyway.

And don't compare a Newton choice to a luxury pick like Spiller last year. Newton is a QB, and even if he groomed behind Fitzy for the entire 2011 season if they play it, and becomes the starter in 2012, he will still be worth the number 3 pick overall! Spiller, as a scat back RB too small to be the every down back, was not even close to being worth the #9 overall pick.

Anyway, Nix may draft a player from a smaller school or a different position we all think he would not draft with that number 3 pick, and then won't everyone be whining on TSW.

Edited by BillsPhan

He's an interesting proposition for the Bills as he is oddly the best solution to give Fitzpatrick the reigns for 2-3 more years while getting Newton up to speed on the pro game. That said, with all of our needs, I would not touch him until after we grab a solid defensive contributor - 2nd round would be good value.

When was the last time we did that in the first 2 rounds?

First off I don't really see a scenario where Cam falls all the way to the 2nd round so I don't think that should be an option in this poll. The real question here is: Is Cam worth the 3rd overall pick? My answer is a resounding yes. I think his skill set and intangibles at the QB position are unmatched and you could do a lot worse when looking for a franchise QB. He has the potential to be the kind of player this franchise desperately needs- a game changer that no other team in the league can say they have.

I watched him the other night for the first time & my first impression of him was that his movements were too slow, casual, & telegraped. I'm not talking about foot speed...just kinda slow behind the center, where Fitz seems quick with his decisions & movements. Also, while handing off he just kinda holds the ball out there for his RB to grab it instead of placing it in the bread basket, which I know can be coached outta him... but I was not impressed at all & voted to pass on him.

There is little doubt that Cam is a major talent. The quesiton is weather all the parts come together for him to be a top flight qb in the Nfl. I just do not think the Bills can afford to take a chance at this point. They really need some cornerstone players. Taking an upside qb is just not the way to go at this time. To much risk for me . My two cents

Of course the Bills should draft Cam Newton with the 3rd pick in the draft to be their QB of the future. At some point this team has to draft a QB. If Newton does in fact declare for the draft (as if he won't), and he falls to number 3, the Bills would be insane not to draft him. I predict he will be a high first round draft choice, perhaps top 5 and certainly not fall below top 10 anyway. One of other 5 to 10 worst teams will take a shot at Cam Newton as their QB. And why not?? The guy is a bigger, stronger younger Mike Vick! Maybe he does not have Vick's natural arm strength, but he looks good enough to me to be able to start in the NFL within a year or two at QB.

Of course I could be wrong. Nobody is guaranteed to be worth a number 3 pick in any draft anyway. But I also think it's crazy to start listing all the best DT's and DE's and LB's Buddy will surely draft at number 3 if he does not draft Newton. Nix proved to me in just his first draft for the Bills that he does not see things the same as the "draft gurus" or we fans do. Nobody thought he would or even should have taken Spiller at Number 9 overall, and then he followed that up by drafting two guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds from small colleges that were not on anybody's draft board, so of course they were considered reaches. Pretty strange top 3 draft picks for somebody who we all considered was a top college scout and life time "football guy", don't you think?

The big major college DT's and DE's and LB's names are being tossed around on this board already, in everyone's mock drafts. Nobody thinks the Bills should even draft Newton at all, even if he was there in the 7th round. Well here's what I think: I'd rather see Nix take Cam Newton at number 3 overall, then to see who he would draft if he even keeps that pick without trading down out of it anyway.

And don't compare a Newton choice to a luxury pick like Spiller last year. Newton is a QB, and even if he groomed behind Fitzy for the entire 2011 season if they play it, and becomes the starter in 2012, he will still be worth the number 3 pick overall! Spiller, as a scat back RB too small to be the every down back, was not even close to being worth the #9 overall pick.

Anyway, Nix may draft a player from a smaller school or a different position we all think he would not draft with that number 3 pick, and then won't everyone be whining on TSW.

Did you watch the game Monday night?

re: trading down option in the poll: there is no way we'd be able to trade down our #3 pick. None.

If I'm spending a top 5 pick on a QB - or any first rounder for that matter - I at least expect him to know the basic: Like knowing how to do a proper 3,5 & 7 step drop.

Dropping back like Newton does - with no discipline - then looking to take off the moment he thinks he sees a hole has proven time and time again to not work in the NFL. Even successful mobile QBs understand proper footwork and I've not seen many QBs who didn't have this basic fundamental down by the end of college who found success in the NFL. It shows a lack of work ethic to perfect his craft and that will translate to failure in the NFL.

To me this is akin to a RB who is successful in college because he's more athletic than everybody else and hits the edge time and time again - like say, Reggie Bush. Sure it works in college but once you play with the big boys its a different story.

Add to it that Newton doesn't play in a pro style offense and his learning curve is even higher. He doesn't have basic fundamentals AND he isn't very familiar with the pro set. He's a project who will take years to bear fruit - if he bears fruit at all which I doubt given the fact that he's going to be forced into the lineup before he's ready (due to his name) and when he fails he'll be thrown to the scrap heap.

The guy has all the signs of being a bust but that won't stop someone from drafting him in the 1st round.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

The people who don't understand this seem to be the ones wanting Newton. I don't understand them!

Whatever though, everybody is entitled to their own thoughts and opinions.

No doubt, but it's apples & oranges. Newton is the mobile/athletic style of QB where Rodgers is a true pro-style pocket passer. Green Bay's game plan doesn't include many QB draws, roll-outs with an option to run, nor does Rodgers take off and run when his 1st or 2nd option isn't available.

I would be on the bandwagon of letting a QB sit for a year or two (I don't care if he's getting $50 million per year) and then letting him go at it. I just don't know if Newton would be willing to do that. Not to mention, if we think Ralph meddles now, imagine if he was paying that much money for his first round pick to sit on the bench. There would be too much pressure from Ralph and the fans to play Newton, regardless of whether or not the coaching staff is willing to play him.

The argument you are making that there will be pressure to play a highly drafted and expensive player doesn't make sense. Did Ralph force the Bills to play the ineffectual Maybin the past two years because he was a highly played draftee? Of course not. Spiller didn't get much playing time. Neither did Troup or Carrington. Players play when they are ready to play, not merely because they were highly drafted.

I don't understand you point that there is a difference in why it is more acceptable for the less athletic qb to sit his first few years and the more athletic qb in Newton can't be expected to go through the same time consuming development process? Your logic escapes me on that point????

Edited by JohnC

I think he's a great athlete, but I'll be surprised if he makes a great NFL QB. He operates almost exclusively out of the shotgun and his footwork when he throws is erratic at times. At the best he might be Jason Campbell/Vince Young and at the worst Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf. It depends if he really wants to put the time in to succeed.

I'm confused by this statement. Can you elaborate? Under no circumstances do you see the Bills being able to trade out of the #3 slot?

There is a 99% chance they won't be able to trade down.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

Our pick is worth 2200 points. If we "trade down" to say, the #10, we'd have to receive a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 4th to make up the points, and no team is going to do that. This draft crop isn't as great as years past. The #3 pick commands a lot more cash than a lower pick. Nobody knows if there will even be a season next year.

2004 was a big year for "trading down" (a great draft class, Eli wouldn't play in SD). After that, there wasn't any trading down done in the top 10 until 2009 when Dirty Sanchez was taken. Cleveland traded down, then traded down again. TB got Josh Freeman out of the deal. Cleveland got... Mohammad Massequoi, David Veikune (not on the team) and a CB (in the UFL).

You didn't even want Andrew Luck. I'm not sure what you are looking for? How about working out a trade for Drew Willey from UB?

It wasn't so much that I didn't want Luck as much as I always knew he was going to return to Stanford to complete his degree. (But I did - and still do - want to see if Luck can maintain this year's performance level next season.)

I also didn't think we'd be drafting 3rd overall - thought we'd be around #8 to #10 spot - but I'd probably still go with Ryab Mallett at #3.

It wasn't so much that I didn't want Luck as much as I always knew he was going to return to Stanford to complete his degree. (But I did - and still do - want to see if Luck can maintain this year's performance level next season.)

I also didn't think we'd be drafting 3rd overall - thought we'd be around #8 to #10 spot - but I'd probably still go with Ryab Mallett at #3.

You were steadfast (swimming against a strong tide) in your view that Luck was going to stay in school. You deserve credit for that. It is going to be interesting to see how the Bills' scouting department rate the remaining qb prospects in Mallett, Blaine G from Missouri and Newton. You know who I favor so I won't repeat what I have repeatedly stated before.

From what I have seen of Mallett he undoubtedly has the most powerful arm of the ranked qbs. My main concern with him is his lack of mobility. That is a liability that I find very worrisome.

Here's some opinions of some scouts and pundits on Cam and the NFL

Instead of Cam, maybe we could through a mid round pick to the Titans for Vince. I'm sure their are plenty of fans in the stands that would love to have a set of NFL regulation shoulder pads and a jersey. Maybe he would throw in a helmet as well! Git er done Buddy

Guy's a TE.

This is not college or high school. This is the NFL

Newton has never thrown a block from the line of scrimmage, nor will his ego let him try.

There are literally hundreds of college TE's with the physical abilities and the developed skills to be a better tight end than Newton, who will never play a down in the NFL

Could he be developed into a TE? Maybe, but it would take about three years

Another factor is that he would never be happy making the salary of a backup TE, which would be about half of his Auburn salary and benefit package