The reason Fairley went unblocked so often

Thoner7

I read in a few of the threads that people were unimpressed/confused as to why Fairley went unblocked so often. The reason was the Ducks were optioning him. They announced that early in the game and said that Oregon had been optioning the 3 tech the entire year, which made me and my dad (who played QB in the wishbone in HS and college) go WTF? in unison. Normally a team would option the end man on the LOS like the DE, sometimes they can option the OLB, but I have never heard of a team optioning an interior lineman. When I say option, that means the offense will purposely leave 1 man unblocked, and attack that man with 2 potential ball carriers. It’s the QBs job to read that unblocked player with the idea that that player can only defended/tackle/commit to one player leaving the other open for the big run.

Regardless though, IF Oregon has ran that all year and been so successful, Fairley was the MVP of that game by being able to shut them down single handedly. He was able to track down LaMichael James and the QB in space. He also blew up the entire Ol when they did try to block him. Guy is a superstar.

Just wanted to clarify.

I read in a few of the threads that people were unimpressed/confused as to why Fairley went unblocked so often. The reason was the Ducks were optioning him. They announced that early in the game and said that Oregon had been optioning the 3 tech the entire year, which made me and my dad (who played QB in the wishbone in HS and college) go WTF? in unison. Normally a team would option the end man on the LOS like the DE, sometimes they can option the OLB, but I have never heard of a team optioning an interior lineman. When I say option, that means the offense will purposely leave 1 man unblocked, and attack that man with 2 potential ball carriers. It’s the QBs job to read that unblocked player with the idea that that player can only defended/tackle/commit to one player leaving the other open for the big run.

Regardless though, IF Oregon has ran that all year and been so successful, Fairley was the MVP of that game by being able to shut them down single handedly. He was able to track down LaMichael James and the QB in space. He also blew up the entire Ol when they did try to block him. Guy is a superstar.

Just wanted to clarify.

The Wishbone and spread option are two different types of offense. It is baffling to let an interior lineman especially one as good as Fairley go unblocked but in the traditional wishbone the QB reads the end and either keeps or pitches based on the ends commitment to the inside.

The spread option is dictated by the DTs slant at the snap and is made to cause confusion within the interior.

On a side note Fairley is a beast and if he is there at 3 and I will be surprised if he is you do not pass on that type of talent.

I just wanted to add this personal tidbit on Fairley:

A woman who is a contractor and does a ton of work for me/my company is based out of Atlanta and has a daughter that goes to Auburn. I was talking to her this morning about the game and she said that Fairley and Newton are definitely declaring, but she also mentioned how nice of people the Fairley family is and that they are “rock solid” and ”good Christians” She then added that “but Nick is crazy”

IMO, that’s PERFECT for a D lineman

:thumbsup:

The Wishbone and spread option are two different types of offense. It is baffling to let an interior lineman especially one as good as Fairley go unblocked but in the traditional wishbone the QB reads the end and either keeps or pitches based on the ends commitment to the inside.

The spread option is dictated by the DTs slant at the snap and is made to cause confusion within the interior.

On a side note Fairley is a beast and if he is there at 3 and I will be surprised if he is you do not pass on that type of talent.

I understand the two offenses are different but they read the same keys which makes them two very similar types of offenses. Same reads, different formations

You are also incorrect if you think that all spread offenses read the slant of the DTs. The bone read the DTs more as they utilized a FB. Until last night I would have told you that 100% of spread teams read the end. What Oregon did last night I have never noticed before and is very unique and it cost them the game.

While they are two separate offenses, both feature the midline and midline veer, which were what Oregon was using to option the 3 tech. The problem was the QB making horrendous reads on it and Fairley being a big ole angry man.

I read in a few of the threads that people were unimpressed/confused as to why Fairley went unblocked so often. The reason was the Ducks were optioning him.

Thank you for the clarification on why he was unblocked. However, I still do not believe (based on last night) that he is a game-changer on the interior D-line in the NFL. Maybe he would transition well to a 3-4 end, but he would likely have a steep learning curve. I do not think he is as good as Suh (doesn't appear to be as strong). I base this observation on multiple times that he was single-blocked and pushed back (though he does have quickness to regain his composure and fight to make a play). To me, he reminds me more of Gerald McCoy - a nice player but not a franchise D-lineman.

I'm really bummed because I am not blown away by any of the blue-chip prospects in this draft. Hopefully there is a team desperate to get someone and is willing to trade multiple picks -- I would rather move back and get one of the top OT's and another DT such as the Alabama kid.

The last two interior DL deemed "unblockable" by many scouts and NFL personnel men I have heard went onto be darn good DL. Ngata and Suh were both described that way by people I listen to...not that that is worth much. But I agree the guy looks great, great athelte inside and pair him with K Williams instantly makes this team defense better and much harder to run against. Ironic how Luck not declaring probably costs us Fairley

Fairley is a freak with great speed for a DT, which was totally disrupting Oregon's timing, to say the least, in their run game. BTW, Fairley wasn't always unblocked, but when they did try to block him he was often off the block in a heartbeat. He was very well prepared and had a monster game.

Great assessment, unfortunately I think the Panthers New Head Coach Ron Rivera will reach the same conclusion.

Edited by wnybillsfan11

Guys just b/c he's going unblocked does not mean the play is designed for him to blow it up. They've done this all year, they've done this for years. This is their scheme. It's their unique wrinkle and frankly...that puts the big man in space where he dominated. And when he wasn't is space he dominated. And by the way they don't ALWAYS leave the backside 3 tech unblocked only sometimes as a switch up from the backside DE or OLB in order to keep everyone honest and prevent EVEN THE DT form crashing strong-side thus keeping everyone "extra honest"...(at least until they play Fairley the beast...)

For a great look into what Oregon actually was trying to do w/ their inside zone read go here (worth reading if you are interested in x's and o's):

http://trojanfootballanalysis.com/?p=263

Edited by dayman

The last two interior DL deemed "unblockable" by many scouts and NFL personnel men I have heard went onto be darn good DL. Ngata and Suh were both described that way by people I listen to...not that that is worth much. But I agree the guy looks great, great athelte inside and pair him with K Williams instantly makes this team defense better and much harder to run against. Ironic how Luck not declaring probably costs us Fairley

We should really pick a safety then. :-). Just joking. Anyway, if we have 2 interior linemen then we are back with the 4-3? I am all for it especially if we can bring a DC good with 4-3.

FWIW -

Link - Fairley's stats lie in BCS Championship game

As a three-technique tackle, Fairley's game is pressure and quickness. His game isn't based on strength. That showed early in the national title game when Fairley was controlled pretty well in the first quarter.

Of course, his three tackles for loss were impressive, but two of them came when he was completely unblocked. Fairley also got a lot of pressure going one-on-one against Oregon's undersized interior line. What made Oregon think that was a good idea, who knows.

What it did do, though, is inflate Fairley's stats. It pushed his tackles for loss on the year to 24 and his sacks to 11.5.

There is no question that Fairley is a good player. His playing style and effort could immediately give a defense an attitude. Rival teams will hate Fairley and his penchant for cheap shots.

There are questions about whether or not Fairley is a one-year wonder, or if he can take up two gaps in the NFL. Or if he has the power to take on and shed blockers.

The answers to all those questions point to Fairley being a big risk at the top of the draft, let alone as the first pick overall.

I am so conflicted over this guy - Fairley's the type of player that I'd surely despise on any team other than the Bills. :wacko:

I don't think Buddy's gonna take him anyway - my gut feel still says Ryan Mallett.

Edited by The Senator

You are also incorrect if you think that all spread offenses read the slant of the DTs. The bone read the DTs more as they utilized a FB. Until last night I would have told you that 100% of spread teams read the end. What Oregon did last night I have never noticed before and is very unique and it cost them the game.

Hey, Thoner, thanks for the gouge on the Oregon scheme. Very interesting.

I won't be crying if we draft any one of the three top DL in this year's draft.

I kinda thought the decision to go for it on 4th instead of going for the FG cost the Ducks the game? DH and I were like "WTF?"

FWIW -

As a three-technique tackle, Fairley's game is pressure and quickness. His game isn't based on strength. That showed early in the national title game when Fairley was controlled pretty well in the first quarter.

Of course, his three tackles for loss were impressive, but two of them came when he was completely unblocked. Fairley also got a lot of pressure going one-on-one against Oregon's undersized interior line. What made Oregon think that was a good idea, who knows.

What it did do, though, is inflate Fairley's stats. It pushed his tackles for loss on the year to 24 and his sacks to 11.5.

There is no question that Fairley is a good player. His playing style and effort could immediately give a defense an attitude. Rival teams will hate Fairley and his penchant for cheap shots.

There are questions about whether or not Fairley is a one-year wonder, or if he can take up two gaps in the NFL. Or if he has the power to take on and shed blockers.

The answers to all those questions point to Fairley being a big risk at the top of the draft, let alone as the first pick overall.

I am so conflicted over this guy - Fairley's the type of player that I'd surely despise on any team other than the Bills. :wacko:

I don't think Buddy's gonna take him anyway - my gut feel still says Ryan Mallett.

Can we cease to use the expression, "One year wonder", for guys that just won the SEC Championship

and the National Championship? Better a,"one year wonder",than, "never been a wonder".

Edited by Trader

Just wanted to clarify.

If that was the case, Oregon should be ashamed of themselves...not for trying it, but for not having a plan B when it was blatantly obvious that this was not going to work. What game plan calls for leaving the best defensive player in college unblocked all night long with no thought of what happens if he dominates us? Horrible game planning if true.

FWIW -

do you want us to draft Mallett?

do you want us to draft Mallett?

Probably, but the draft is still over 3 months out - certainly I'd first want to see how Mallet does at the scouting combine, Wonderlic test, all that crap - and I'm sure Buddy Nix will be interviewing him now that he's officially declared and it's ' legal ' to talk to him.

Also need to see who declares for the draft between now and Friday. (Newton??? Fairley???)

Edited by The Senator

We should really pick a safety then. :-). Just joking. Anyway, if we have 2 interior linemen then we are back with the 4-3? I am all for it especially if we can bring a DC good with 4-3.

By the way, screw the scheme. Get great players and a coach with enough neurons that he can design a scheme around what he has.

I just wanted to add this personal tidbit on Fairley:

A woman who is a contractor and does a ton of work for me/my company is based out of Atlanta and has a daughter that goes to Auburn. I was talking to her this morning about the game and she said that Fairley and Newton are definitely declaring, but she also mentioned how nice of people the Fairley family is and that they are “rock solid” and ”good Christians” She then added that “but Nick is crazy”

IMO, that’s PERFECT for a D lineman

:thumbsup:

I understand the two offenses are different but they read the same keys which makes them two very similar types of offenses. Same reads, different formations

Where did I say all teams read the DT???