Gaughan's Indictment of Modrak

In today's article, Mark Gaughan has a straightforward indictment of Tom Modrak's job running the drafts. Of all the problems plaguing this front office, none have had the impact of systematic errors in scouting and draft day execution. If it were one or two misfires on first round picks, you could blame it on Ralph's meddling or Modrak being overruled. But this is a sustained, systemic inability to identify players able to perform at a high level in the NFL. Some have also been blinded by the late round success, arguing that Modrak "sucks at the top of the draft but finds steals in late rounds." This perception is due to a failure to remember all of the late round and UDFA failures. If you measure the few successes relative to all of the guys who get invited to camp each year, you'd realize that Modrak's not particularly good here either relative to the rest of the league. (The Packers yesterday got huge performances from 2 UDFAs at RB and CB).

2. Draft picks stunk.

Aaron Maybin. Marshawn Lynch. Trent Edwards. John McCargo. James Hardy. Chris Ellis. Those are six picks from the top three rounds who either left the team this year or produced nothing. Meanwhile, it appears Donte Whitner will leave without justifying his lofty draft selection. First-rounder Leodis McKelvin still has a long way to go. Rookie first-rounder C.J. Spiller didn't do nearly enough. The lack of home-grown quality veterans is the reason the Bills are at the bottom of the barrel.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I agree that whoever is responsible for the terrible drafting should hand in their resignation. Didn't Whaley manage that aspect of operations in Pittsburgh? I thought he was either the college or the nfl evaluator... maybe he and Nix should either take over or find someone they trust to do that job. Someone will take the ax if we have another lousy draft, I'd think. This is Nix and Gailey's life, here, not to mention Whaley's future. These guys aren't going to let one guy ruin their team.

I don't think Modrak is exactly running the drafts these days. In previous years we either had a poop GM who really leaned on Modrak (Donohoe, Levy) or no GM at all. He's more of a weak link on a team run by Buddy now. Hopefully his impact is less than in previous years.

Incorrect link?

Waiting to see an article that says definitively that Modrak has been in charge of the draft picks...

+1

It's widely believed that Ralph himself wanted Lynch taken in 2007. So why is modrak at fault for that pick? just because you're in charge of the shopping list doesn't always mean you're making the final decisions on what gets purchased at the store.

Modrak has not lived up to his hype when he came over from Philly.

That said, there is one person responsible for most of this horror...Marv Levy. Oh for four in super bowls and two of the worst drafts in history.

HERETIC!!

How dare you question Marv levy so?

:rolleyes:

Modrak has not lived up to his hype when he came over from Philly.

That said, there is one person responsible for most of this horror...Marv Levy. Oh for four in super bowls and two of the worst drafts in history.

Agreed Mike Levy set this franchise back a bit with his tenure at GM. He also did not have his team prepared for the SBs.

Agreed Mike Levy set this franchise back a bit with his tenure at GM. He also did not have his team prepared for the SBs.

Good point. If only he had been able to stop John Kelly's partying before the Super Bowls.

Good point. If only he had been able to stop John Kelly's partying before the Super Bowls.

I heard it was more than Jim partying like it was 1999, remember one of the Cowboys saying that the Bills were party animals during the Super Bowl games against the Cowboys both years.

In today's article, Mark Gaughan has a straightforward indictment of Tom Modrak's job running the drafts. Of all the problems plaguing this front office, none have had the impact of systematic errors in scouting and draft day execution. If it were one or two misfires on first round picks, you could blame it on Ralph's meddling or Modrak being overruled. But this is a sustained, systemic inability to identify players able to perform at a high level in the NFL. Some have also been blinded by the late round success, arguing that Modrak "sucks at the top of the draft but finds steals in late rounds." This perception is due to a failure to remember all of the late round and UDFA failures. If you measure the few successes relative to all of the guys who get invited to camp each year, you'd realize that Modrak's not particularly good here either relative to the rest of the league. (The Packers yesterday got huge performances from 2 UDFAs at RB and CB).

2. Draft picks stunk.

Aaron Maybin. Marshawn Lynch. Trent Edwards. John McCargo. James Hardy. Chris Ellis. Those are six picks from the top three rounds who either left the team this year or produced nothing. Meanwhile, it appears Donte Whitner will leave without justifying his lofty draft selection. First-rounder Leodis McKelvin still has a long way to go. Rookie first-rounder C.J. Spiller didn't do nearly enough. The lack of home-grown quality veterans is the reason the Bills are at the bottom of the barrel.

The draft picks you listed somewhat cut against your / his point.

Maybin -- It was my understanding that this pick was a classic overrule. Leading up to the draft I remember the word being Bills FO LOVED Cushing and thought decently of Orakpo, then when the selection of Maybin came down it was said it was Juaron's call.

Lynch -- They wanted Patrick Willis, he was taken directly in front of them. They needed RB help so they picked the best one on the board at that time. I have a hard time seeing Lynch as a failure. He seems like a solid RB and far from a bust even given being picked at 12th overall. They got rid of him this year as drafting Spiller meant they had 1 too many backs, but you can't blame that on Modrak as Chan Gailey made the call on Spiller.

Trent Edwards -- Guy was a 3rd round pick and if he hadn't gotten his head scrambled he looked like he had potential. He showed enough in the early going that if he was just a little tougher he might be a starter in the league. I can't see how this pick can be trashed AT ALL.

John McCargo -- Big mistake no way around that.

James Hardy -- Ditto, though he might have made the team if Modrak didn't so effectively pick winners late in the Draft like S Johnson, or find UDFA gems like Nelson.

Chris Ellis -- again a 3rd round flyer. I have a hard time slamming a FO for missing on a 3rd round pick, especially when in that same draft they knocked it out of the park by finding both Bell and Johnson in the 7th.

In all looking at these draft picks seems to indicate that the owner and HC meddling is the biggest reason Modrak hasn't done better.

Incorrect link?

Waiting to see an article that says definitively that Modrak has been in charge of the draft picks...

If ONLY there was such proof then we could all stop having to read these stupid threads and this issue could finally be put to rest.

lol

The draft picks you listed somewhat cut against your / his point.

Maybin -- It was my understanding that this pick was a classic overrule. Leading up to the draft I remember the word being Bills FO LOVED Cushing and thought decently of Orakpo, then when the selection of Maybin came down it was said it was Juaron's call.

Lynch -- They wanted Patrick Willis, he was taken directly in front of them. They needed RB help so they picked the best one on the board at that time. I have a hard time seeing Lynch as a failure. He seems like a solid RB and far from a bust even given being picked at 12th overall. They got rid of him this year as drafting Spiller meant they had 1 too many backs, but you can't blame that on Modrak as Chan Gailey made the call on Spiller.

Trent Edwards -- Guy was a 3rd round pick and if he hadn't gotten his head scrambled he looked like he had potential. He showed enough in the early going that if he was just a little tougher he might be a starter in the league. I can't see how this pick can be trashed AT ALL.

John McCargo -- Big mistake no way around that.

James Hardy -- Ditto, though he might have made the team if Modrak didn't so effectively pick winners late in the Draft like S Johnson, or find UDFA gems like Nelson.

Chris Ellis -- again a 3rd round flyer. I have a hard time slamming a FO for missing on a 3rd round pick, especially when in that same draft they knocked it out of the park by finding both Bell and Johnson in the 7th.

In all looking at these draft picks seems to indicate that the owner and HC meddling is the biggest reason Modrak hasn't done better.

Very nicely put. But it seems there are so many who just want a scapegoat that they see what they want to see. Where are you RED?