Gaughan's Indictment of Modrak

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If ONLY there was such proof then we could all stop having to read these stupid threads and this issue could finally be put to rest.

lol

Very nicely put. But it seems there are so many who just want a scapegoat that they see what they want to see. Where are you RED?

Are any of you employed? Do you not understand how organizations work? This is the guy in charge of our drafts -- sent out to the media for a lunch before the draft, available for the media after the draft, spends the entire year developing dossiers on players for the draft, etc. -- but you somehow need "proof" that his job is IN FACT his job?

Are you on crack?

Scapegoat? The guy heads our college scouting operation and runs the draft. This is about accountability.

The proof is in the roster. How does the guy who runs the draft get off without any responsibility for terrible drating?

Facts are getting really hard to come by around here. A big reason that we whiffed on most of these 1st round picks is a combination of two flawed philosophies. Picking based on perceived NEED and whether that player fits in a SYSTEM. Getting good football players in the draft is hard enough without further compounding the challenge with applying a narrow minded philosophy in terms of how you are willing to even utilize said player.

The draft picks you listed somewhat cut against your / his point.

Maybin -- It was my understanding that this pick was a classic overrule. Leading up to the draft I remember the word being Bills FO LOVED Cushing and thought decently of Orakpo, then when the selection of Maybin came down it was said it was Juaron's call.

Lynch -- They wanted Patrick Willis, he was taken directly in front of them. They needed RB help so they picked the best one on the board at that time. I have a hard time seeing Lynch as a failure. He seems like a solid RB and far from a bust even given being picked at 12th overall. They got rid of him this year as drafting Spiller meant they had 1 too many backs, but you can't blame that on Modrak as Chan Gailey made the call on Spiller.

Trent Edwards -- Guy was a 3rd round pick and if he hadn't gotten his head scrambled he looked like he had potential. He showed enough in the early going that if he was just a little tougher he might be a starter in the league. I can't see how this pick can be trashed AT ALL.

John McCargo -- Big mistake no way around that.

James Hardy -- Ditto, though he might have made the team if Modrak didn't so effectively pick winners late in the Draft like S Johnson, or find UDFA gems like Nelson.

Chris Ellis -- again a 3rd round flyer. I have a hard time slamming a FO for missing on a 3rd round pick, especially when in that same draft they knocked it out of the park by finding both Bell and Johnson in the 7th.

In all looking at these draft picks seems to indicate that the owner and HC meddling is the biggest reason Modrak hasn't done better.

If a 3rd round pick is considered a "flyer" then you're following the wrong sport.

Are any of you employed? Do you not understand how organizations work? This is the guy in charge of our drafts -- sent out to the media for a lunch before the draft, available for the media after the draft, spends the entire year developing dossiers on players for the draft, etc. -- but you somehow need "proof" that his job is IN FACT his job?

Are you on crack?

Scapegoat? The guy heads our college scouting operation and runs the draft. This is about accountability.

The proof is in the roster. How does the guy who runs the draft get off without any responsibility for terrible drating?

It's well known that while Levy/Jauron were here that it was a group decision by Wilson's Inner Circle, consisting of Wilson, Levy, Jauron, Brandon, and Modrak. Possibly others. From that list, I see Modrak as the lowest one on the totem pole. With the new regime, Nix has the final say, and Whaley, and even Gailey also have some say.

I've never once seen anything from the Bills that states that Modrak has the final say on which player gets drafted.

I agree that this is about accountability. A major problem with the Bills over the last 5 years was that there was none. Now, it's all on Nix. He is the one making the final decision. He has been a scout and has scouted players for this draft himself. We'll see what he, Modrak, and Whaley can do

Edited by DrDankenstein

I've never once seen anything from the Bills that states that Modrak has the final say on which player gets drafted.

I do not contend his has final say. Modrak has been overruled on a few picks -- he leaks to the papers whenever that's the case.

But it's not a one-off problem. It is systemic bad draft decisions that seems based on a deeply flawed talent evaluation process. For example, Modrak may have wanted Cushing over Maybin, but he still had a 1st round grade on Maybin. That's the issue here; Modrak slaps 1st round grades on guys that should slide into the second day.

As for the "fliers," if you cannot consistently draft 2nd to 4th rounders that contribute reliably at the NFL level, your draft team needs a total overhaul because this is where the bulk of team's starters come from.

Maybin -- It was my understanding that this pick was a classic overrule. Leading up to the draft I remember the word being Bills FO LOVED Cushing and thought decently of Orakpo, then when the selection of Maybin came down it was said it was Juaron's call.

Lynch -- They wanted Patrick Willis, he was taken directly in front of them. They needed RB help so they picked the best one on the board at that time. I have a hard time seeing Lynch as a failure. He seems like a solid RB and far from a bust even given being picked at 12th overall. They got rid of him this year as drafting Spiller meant they had 1 too many backs, but you can't blame that on Modrak as Chan Gailey made the call on Spiller.

Trent Edwards -- Guy was a 3rd round pick and if he hadn't gotten his head scrambled he looked like he had potential. He showed enough in the early going that if he was just a little tougher he might be a starter in the league. I can't see how this pick can be trashed AT ALL.

James Hardy -- Ditto, though he might have made the team if Modrak didn't so effectively pick winners late in the Draft like S Johnson, or find UDFA gems like Nelson.

Chris Ellis -- again a 3rd round flyer. I have a hard time slamming a FO for missing on a 3rd round pick, especially when in that same draft they knocked it out of the park by finding both Bell and Johnson in the 7th.

In all looking at these draft picks seems to indicate that the owner and HC meddling is the biggest reason Modrak hasn't done better.

Someone needs to get a clue and just tell Ralph, no more damn coach input until they start winning games period.

You let some coaches get involved with personnel and you a cluster mess like you got with Jauron.

That goes ditto for bring in a coach and letting him select another coach.

My own take on the guys in question:

Maybin. Clearly a bust, but as you point out it's not certain that Modrak deserves the blame for that bust.

Lynch. Any time you draft a player 12th overall, and trade him away a few years later for a fourth round pick, that player has to be considered a bust. Even if the Bills could have gotten a third rounder from New Orleans--as some are now claiming--the fact is that Lynch performed well below the expectations you'd associate with 12th overall. The decision to go with a RB in the first place was also extremely questionable. RBs have very short careers, so all else being equal you're generally better off drafting a player at some other, longer duration position. Plus the Bills still had McGahee back when Lynch was drafted, and it's not as though Lynch provided a huge upgrade over what McGahee would have done. Certainly not enough of an upgrade to even come remotely close to justifying a first round pick; let alone the 12th overall choice. The Lynch pick was a clear-cut failure: the only question is which people were most responsible for that failure.

Trent Edwards. QBs drafted in the third round don't normally turn into long-term answers at starter, and Trent Edwards was no exception to that. If a third round QB is a solid backup, that's good enough for the pick to be considered reasonably successful. Whether Edwards belongs in the solid backup category is, of course, open to debate.

John McCargo: bust.

James Hardy: bust.

Chris Ellis: appears to be a bust. But like you, I have a hard time for faulting the front office on this pick. Third rounders are less likely to work out than are earlier picks. I agree that the front office should be credited with finding Johnson and Bell in the seventh round of that same draft.

It's widely believed that Ralph himself wanted Lynch taken in 2007. So why is modrak at fault for that pick? just because you're in charge of the shopping list doesn't always mean you're making the final decisions on what gets purchased at the store.

Yep. On that we can agree. Sends the wrong message that despite months of scouting and meetings, the owner can get his way. Modrak is to blame for some things, but I'm sure people knew upstairs that Lynch had some character issues.

Every owner will have a say, but the degree to which they do is what's being debated. What's funny is how millionaire or billionaire NFL owners, while successful, generally screw up a franchise by trying to closely oversee the operation. Bob Kraft, Arthur Blank, the Mara's have done much better this decade than RW, Jerrah Jones, Al Davis, and Mike Brown.

I dont get it.....hasnt Modrak been overrulled on most of the picks...in particular Maybin?

While a lot of the high picks have not panned out.....I dont disagree with the POSITIONS they draft. Like for instance a lot of people B word about us not addressing our lines. That is not the case we have picked Wood, Levitre and Troupe Carrington in recent drafts....

They also took Maybin....who was a collosal flop....but it is my understanding that the guy who wanted him is no longer on the team.

I dont get it.....hasnt Modrak been overrulled on most of the picks...in particular Maybin?

No. We've made about 65 draft picks since Modrak's been here and the evidence suggest he's been overruled on just a handful.

That's my point. Yes, Maybin was a HORRIBLE pick, but it's not like we're cleaning up in the 3rd to 5th rounds. I'm not focusing on this bust, or that bust, but rather the systemic character of the bad drafting.

Modrak is the guy who grades all of these players. Even if he gets overruled from time to time, do you really believe they throw out all of his grades and scounting reports? He furnishes the information used to make all of these bad picks.

How naive of all of you to think Dick Jauron was responsible for the draft day mistakes.

Here's a hypothetical. Let's say Modrak really is The Genius at player evaluation and has correctly identified and graded every superstar player available for the Bills picks over the last 10 years. In other words, if the Bills had listened, they'd have drafted 60 to 70 excellent to dominant players. Yet, given the results, one would have to surmise that no one in the Bills front office ever listens to The Genius, the ultimate talent evaluator who's draft board is never wrong. What does that tell you? Why would a team pay The Genius and then when it comes down to making the final decisions flat out ignore him? Why would The Genius continue to work in such a situation anyway? Why wouldn't he go out and drum up another job where they actually took him for something other than a joke? I mean it would be like getting dunked and given a swirly every year by your boss.

No. We've made about 65 draft picks since Modrak's been here and the evidence suggest he's been overruled on just a handful.

That's my point. Yes, Maybin was a HORRIBLE pick, but it's not like we're cleaning up in the 3rd to 5th rounds. I'm not focusing on this bust, or that bust, but rather the systemic character of the bad drafting.

Modrak is the guy who grades all of these players. Even if he gets overruled from time to time, do you really believe they throw out all of his grades and scounting reports? He furnishes the information used to make all of these bad picks.

How naive of all of you to think Dick Jauron was responsible for the draft day mistakes.

The thing I think is naive is to not seem to recognize that even if one stipulates as an unassailable fact that Modrak sucks (or that Jauron sucks or that Levy sucks, or whomever, the buck clearly must stop with one guy who is to blame for a decade plus without the playoffs,

This is Mr, Ralph!

I mean get a clue.

Who has been in charge for the entire decade plus whether it was Butler leading a toxic final draft, TD stepping in to lead the team only to deserve by all assessments to get canned, or Levy stepping in a first time GM who was only up to the job for 2 years, or any of the series of failures at HC from Gregg Williams, to Mularkey to Jauron,

From my standpoint any article which tries to lay the blame for our failures on Modrak without flat out recognizing that it is Mr. Ralph who had retained and empowered Modrak again and again is simply bad reporting.

Even going back past a decade for the seeds of the current disaster it really starts and pretty much ends with recognizing Mr. Ralph completely bollicksed the relationship with Polian and then with Butler. If you want to point to his exercising his owner's right to meddle but doing so poorly with horrendous football judgment it starts with him making a handshake deal to reward Jimbo in his next contract and him not recognizing that Jimbo was done.

This led directly to the stretch to take TC rushing him to start and a litany of QB miscues through Losman/Edwards.

Blaming Modrak is simply bad reporting not because he is good but because as bad as anyone wants to claim he is then the blame must go to the guy who keeps hiring and empowering this idiot,

Honest reporting gives Mr. Ralph kudos for keeping the team here, but also indicts him and only him as the guy who the buck stops with.

You make a very good point. I wonder if Nix and Whaley have the pull to jettison Modrak if they might not have confidence in him. I hope Nix and Whaley have the insight to properly evaluate Modrak's value to the team and act accordingly.

While a lot of the high picks have not panned out.....I dont disagree with the POSITIONS they draft. Like for instance a lot of people B word about us not addressing our lines. That is not the case we have picked Wood, Levitre and Troupe Carrington in recent drafts....

They also took Maybin....who was a collosal flop....but it is my understanding that the guy who wanted him is no longer on the team.

I specifically do take issue with the positions the Bills draft!!

Since 2001, the Bills have done the following:

• Used three first round picks and a second round pick on RBs.
  • Used another three first round picks on DBs.
  • Have drafted just one QB in the first round.
  • Have drafted zero LTs and just one RT in the first round; and no OTs in the second round.
  • Have drafted no DEs in the first round. (I consider Maybin an OLB.)
  • Have drafted just one DT or NT in the first round, and only one in the second.

Suppose a man was to walk up to the owner of an NFL team, put his arm around the owner's shoulder, and begin talking about his ten year plan for that owner's team. "I see today that your team has no quarterback," the man would say. "At the end of this ten year plan it still won't have one. But during those ten years I'll use three first round picks and a second rounder on running backs!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Plus I'll use three first rounders on DBs, even though the other part of my plan is to allow whichever of my DBs have the best combination of youth + proven accomplishment to leave via free agency when their rookie contracts expire. I don't see the sense in using first or second round picks on OTs--even though this team doesn't have any good OTs--because those picks could better be used on running backs!! :D^_^ "

If a plan such as the above looks like a bad idea in hindsight--as well it should--then it ought to have seemed like a bad idea at the time as well. There were many on this list who argued against the above-described mistakes as they were being made. Those people were right, those mistakes were avoidable, and they would have been avoided by better, more mentally self-disciplined front office personnel.

I consider the OT positions both more important, and harder-to-fill, than interior OL positions (especially OG). So the fact that the Bills used a first and second rounder on a pair of OGs does not make up for their neglect of the OT positions--especially not when the earlier of those two picks was obtained by trading away the best player on the Bills' OL in the first place!

I don't know how many of these link we have to have but once and for all Modrak dows not make the picks first it was tom d, then marv and dickie j and it is BUDDY

And I don't know how many times I have to say this:

THE PLAYERS THAT TOM D, THEN MARV AND DICKIE J AND BUDDY DRAFTED WERE SCOUTED....(read: scouted)....BY ONE TOM MODRAK.

(caps added to emphasize shouting because Modrak defenders are mentally dense)

Your Director of Scouting may not make the picks. I will give all of you Modrak boners that.

But any GM, any coaching staff, heck...any OWNER....does not have the time to scout players full time...that is why you hire....wait for it....wait for it....

...a DIRECTOR of FREAKIN' SCOUTING!!!!!!!

That Director, atleast one of his duties, is to compile information on players at various positions and present/ rank those prospects in the order of ability to be selected.

Bottom line: No matter who has been our GM, we have not had any success with our first round picks this past decade (Eric Wood notwithstanding). ANY!

But somehow we strike it big on an undrafted free agent every year (Jason Peters, Moorman, Greer).

Now, If I were the owner...I sincerely appreciate the small undrafted gold we can find....BUT...there is alot more money tied into the idiots Modrak keeps saying are worthy of high round selections.

I mean, MAYBIN HELD OUT!!! WHITNER WANTS MORE MONEY!

These guys either blow (HArdy, Maybin, Ellis, Williams, Losman, McCargo) or are merely serviceable at best (Whitner, Evans (oh, I said it), McKelvin).

And let's use a little science here....

...if we have had several different GM's...several different coaching staffs and philosophies...yet the result remains the same...how could Modrak and our horrible scouting staff NOT be responsible?

• Have drafted zero LTs and just one RT in the first round; and no OTs in the second round.
  • Have drafted just one DT or NT in the first round, and only one in the second.

Suppose a man was to walk up to the owner of an NFL team, put his arm around the owner's shoulder, and begin talking about his ten year plan for that owner's team. "I see today that your team has no quarterback," the man would say. "At the end of this ten year plan it still won't have one. But during those ten years I'll use three first round picks and a second rounder on running backs!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Plus I'll use three first rounders on DBs, even though the other part of my plan is to allow whichever of my DBs have the best combination of youth + proven accomplishment to leave via free agency when their rookie contracts expire. I don't see the sense in using first or second round picks on OTs--even though this team doesn't have any good OTs--because those picks could better be used on running backs!! :D^_^ "

If a plan such as the above looks like a bad idea in hindsight--as well it should--then it ought to have seemed like a bad idea at the time as well. There were many on this list who argued against the above-described mistakes as they were being made. Those people were right, those mistakes were avoidable, and they would have been avoided by better, more mentally self-disciplined front office personnel.

I consider the OT positions both more important, and harder-to-fill, than interior OL positions (especially OG). So the fact that the Bills used a first and second rounder on a pair of OGs does not make up for their neglect of the OT positions--especially not when the earlier of those two picks was obtained by trading away the best player on the Bills' OL in the first place!

I agree with your points, but I must admit...after reading it I am still not sure if you are supportive that Modrak is an inept doofus or not.

Now, I will give the Modrak lovers the concession that he is not the one actually making the selections. Granted. However, and this is a HOWEVER of the grandest scale...with THAT being said...the people MAKING the selections get their INFORMATION from somewhere.

That somewhere is the scouting department.

I don't understand the disconnect of the Modrak lovers. John Guy brought us horrible free agents (Dockery, Walker, Walker #2, Royal, Triplett), and he is finally gone. How is Modrak excused for his track record of terrible scouting?

Somebody is ranking these players.

Tis this not the role of DIRECTOR OF FREAKING SCOUTING?!?!? :wallbash::doh:

I agree with your points, but I must admit...after reading it I am still not sure if you are supportive that Modrak is an inept doofus or not.

Now, I will give the Modrak lovers the concession that he is not the one actually making the selections. Granted. However, and this is a HOWEVER of the grandest scale...with THAT being said...the people MAKING the selections get their INFORMATION from somewhere.

I don't understand the disconnect of the Modrak lovers. John Guy brought us horrible free agents (Dockery, Walker, Walker #2, Royal, Triplett), and he is finally gone. How is Modrak excused for his track record of terrible scouting?

A strong case has been made that Modrak is largely responsible for the Bills' poor drafting over the last ten years. If I was Buddy Nix, I'd want to review Modrak's player grades over the last ten years, just to see with my own eyes the grades Modrak had given to players like Maybin, Hardy, Losman, Mike Williams, McCargo, etc. But assuming he was reasonably on-board with those and the other major busts of the last decade, I'd let him go. I agree that it's fairly probable he was on board with those guys, but I don't think it's something that can be known for certain without looking at his player grades.

Epic post! :thumbsup:

And I don't know how many times I have to say this:

THE PLAYERS THAT TOM D, THEN MARV AND DICKIE J AND BUDDY DRAFTED WERE SCOUTED....(read: scouted)....BY ONE TOM MODRAK.

(caps added to emphasize shouting because Modrak defenders are mentally dense)

Your Director of Scouting may not make the picks. I will give all of you Modrak boners that.

But any GM, any coaching staff, heck...any OWNER....does not have the time to scout players full time...that is why you hire....wait for it....wait for it....

...a DIRECTOR of FREAKIN' SCOUTING!!!!!!!

That Director, atleast one of his duties, is to compile information on players at various positions and present/ rank those prospects in the order of ability to be selected.

Bottom line: No matter who has been our GM, we have not had any success with our first round picks this past decade (Eric Wood notwithstanding). ANY!

But somehow we strike it big on an undrafted free agent every year (Jason Peters, Moorman, Greer).

Now, If I were the owner...I sincerely appreciate the small undrafted gold we can find....BUT...there is alot more money tied into the idiots Modrak keeps saying are worthy of high round selections.

I mean, MAYBIN HELD OUT!!! WHITNER WANTS MORE MONEY!

These guys either blow (HArdy, Maybin, Ellis, Williams, Losman, McCargo) or are merely serviceable at best (Whitner, Evans (oh, I said it), McKelvin).

And let's use a little science here....

...if we have had several different GM's...several different coaching staffs and philosophies...yet the result remains the same...how could Modrak and our horrible scouting staff NOT be responsible?

Clearly he sets a nice baord which is why they get good production late. He is not responsible when Dickie j reaches for Whitner, mcargo , and Maybin to fill his need for lite fast defenders