The Buffalo Bills Is A Business Model - NOT A Football Team!

And in the world of business the only think that matters is the monetary, financial ($) bottom line.

Buffalo Bills Bottom Line: Team owner Ralph Wilson obviously has NO interest in producing a championship team. His goal is only to make as much money, year-after-year, as possible. He does this by bringing in cheap coaches and cheap players and, every now-and-then, a big name player. The big name player, like Terrell Owens, brings fans back to the stadium buying tickets, and also buying NFL jerseys.

Analysis: Until the Buffalo Bills is owned by a new team owner who WANTS a championship team, the Bills will never be a championship contender. Never!

Suggestion: Until the Buffalo Bills is owned by a new team owner, we're better off finding something better to do with our time. Ex: Here in Syracuse the gradually improving SU Orange football team is getting more of the attention that Buffalo Bills used to get from CNY Bills fans.

Ralph is cheap and the Bills need a new owner to win? Thanks for bringing this up because I have never heard anything like this before.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you IS right, they IS one. We should so something. ARE there a solution? I ARE very upset. They is screwing the fan base. We IS fed up with it.

teach me more about business please. i am eager to learn... :wallbash::worthy:

Edited by Mango

you make a lot more money if you go to the playoffs, if you have multiple star players on your team for a long time, and with higher tv ratings when your team is winning.

Now if only Ralph were smart enough to realize that. If he has realized it then he is horribly incompetant so take your pcik. But what the OP says is true we have no hope to even compete until Ralph kicks the bucket.

Just look at what Craft did in NE. the value of that team sckyrocketed because they went from door mat to model of the league. If Ralph were smart he would have built a championship calliber team so when he does sell it he gets top dollar not bottom dollar.

New owners wouldn't mean that the Bills would become any better. It would have to be owners that would be dedicated to winning and back it up. As long as Mr. Willson is owner I believe he will not put together another Championship team. As long as the Ralph is a near sellout every home game, there will be nothing to push Mr Willson to change his ways. I remember when ticket sales declined in the early 2000s they used the scare tacktic that the Bills would possibly move the franchise to the west coast. Nothing is going to change unfortunately.

And in the world of business the only think that matters is the monetary, financial ($) bottom line.

Buffalo Bills Bottom Line: Team owner Ralph Wilson obviously has NO interest in producing a championship team. His goal is only to make as much money, year-after-year, as possible. He does this by bringing in cheap coaches and cheap players and, every now-and-then, a big name player. The big name player, like Terrell Owens, brings fans back to the stadium buying tickets, and also buying NFL jerseys.

Analysis: Until the Buffalo Bills is owned by a new team owner who WANTS a championship team, the Bills will never be a championship contender. Never!

Suggestion: Until the Buffalo Bills is owned by a new team owner, we're better off finding something better to do with our time. Ex: Here in Syracuse the gradually improving SU Orange football team is getting more of the attention that Buffalo Bills used to get from CNY Bills fans.

Perhaps you should have started off your analysis by first explaining the difference between a business model and a professional football team. I was not aware that you could separate the two.

Is it so hard to understand that sports teams are historiccally a poor "investment." If RW was only after money he would be better off selling the team and reinvesting the money in more lucrative ways.

wanna let us al know what $50000 investment we can make now will be worth $900 mil in 50 years?

That said, I don't blame RW as much anymore simply because he's 92 and isn't involved day to day. His principal lieutenants, Littman, Brandon, and Overdorf are running this horror story of a franchise for him. I think Nix takes a lot of orders, and this is a central reason why the Bills couldn't get interviews for their GM and HC openings.

There were plenty of qualified candidates who were willing to be interviewed for the GM position. In fact, Brandon compiled a list and showed it to the 92 yr old owner with the expectation that the candidate process was going to begin. The clueless owner's response when he looked at the list was that he didn't know any of the candidates. That certainly wasn't surprising for an owner who has been out of the loop for a very long time. The end result was that Buddy Nix was hired because Ralph knew him from the Polian and Butler period. It was Buddy who hired Gailey.

The irony is that although the GM hiring process was a chicken-poop process at least (by accident) a decent football person was hired. I truly believe that Buddy knows how to build a contending franchise. I also believe that although Gailey was not a very inspiring hire he was a solid hire. The fundamental issue is whether Ralph's corporate representatives in Littman and Oberdorf are going to give Nix enough room and freedom to make the necessary football decisions to get this stumbling franchise on the right path.

New owners wouldn't mean that the Bills would become any better. It would have to be owners that would be dedicated to winning and back it up. As long as Mr. Willson is owner I believe he will not put together another Championship team. As long as the Ralph is a near sellout every home game, there will be nothing to push Mr Willson to change his ways. I remember when ticket sales declined in the early 2000s they used the scare tacktic that the Bills would possibly move the franchise to the west coast. Nothing is going to change unfortunately.

:worthy:

wanna let us al know what $50000 investment we can make now will be worth $900 mil in 50 years?

Tell that to the investors in the USFL, WFL, etc and see what they say.

I suggest you take your money and invest it in lottery tickets. Where else can you make millions off of $1?

Ralph Wilson has done alot of selfless things in his day like Build the League, he gave AL Davis the money to get his franchise going so there where teams to play, he continually has the lowest tickets in the league (even when he could easily sell out the stadium. etc....oh and winning brings in more revenue to a franchise.. Not to say the team hasnt been mismanaged. There are only so many Bill Cowhers and Bill Parcels to go around.

Ralph Wilson has done alot of selfless things in his day like Build the League, he gave AL Davis the money to get his franchise going so there where teams to play, he continually has the lowest tickets in the league (even when he could easily sell out the stadium. etc....oh and winning brings in more revenue to a franchise.. Not to say the team hasnt been mismanaged. There are only so many Bill Cowhers and Bill Parcels to go around.

I guarantee that this board will crash with the overload of posts when a new team owner is announced.

Posts like:

"We all knew that the Bills would never compete for a championship as long as Ralph Wilson owned the team."

And..

"Ralph was stingy and had no commitment to winning a championship in something like 20 years."

And..

"Ralph did a lot for the Bills and the league - a LONG time ago. Now we have a new owner who is focused on winning the Super Bowl."

But until then we can count on Ralph Wilson's goals being strictly financial.

I guarantee that this board will crash with the overload of posts when a new team owner is announced.

Posts like:

"We all knew that the Bills would never compete for a championship as long as Ralph Wilson owned the team."

And..

"Ralph was stingy and had no commitment to winning a championship in something like 20 years."

And..

"Ralph did a lot for the Bills and the league - a LONG time ago. Now we have a new owner who is focused on winning the Super Bowl."

But until then we can count on Ralph Wilson's goals being strictly financial.

When he is not the owner the days of Buffalo having an NFL franchise are most likely numbered

The OP was not discussing the increase in value of RW's initial investment. What the OP was claiming was that all RW cares about is making money. For the last few years the bills have had a limited operating profit estimated to be about 25 million dollars. So let's say RW took 900 million and invested it in T-Bills at 5%. He would make 45 million on that investment. (I get it that if he sold he woul lose a significant portion of the gains to taxes and I also doubt he is going to put his money in t-bills) So my point simply was that if all RW cared about was making money there are far better ways to do it.

WTF does a 90 year old guy need with more money? The guy has plenty and hardly seems interested in amassing more.

WTF does a 90 year old guy need with more money? The guy has plenty and hardly seems interested in amassing more.

Answer: Ralph Wilson owns a business, the Buffalo Bills. Not a lot of annual investment yields decent profits. If he invests more money in the team, additional investment yield might not be worth it. So, why bother? I don't think he's actually losing money. Just plod along annually at 8-8 and make millions each year.

The OP was not discussing the increase in value of RW's initial investment. What the OP was claiming was that all RW cares about is making money. For the last few years the bills have had a limited operating profit estimated to be about 25 million dollars. So let's say RW took 900 million and invested it in T-Bills at 5%. He would make 45 million on that investment. (I get it that if he sold he woul lose a significant portion of the gains to taxes and I also doubt he is going to put his money in t-bills) So my point simply was that if all RW cared about was making money there are far better ways to do it.

Actually that's a pretty good point. Making $25 million profit on a $900 million dollar business is what... ~3% profit. That's a pretty horrible business model. Hmmm.... maybe Ralph isn't such a smart business man after all. Or maybe owning the team isn't all about making money? Good point... seriously.

he also makes the appreciation of the asset which has been significant and could be more if he produced a decent team. but really the point i was making is that he's smart enough to make that kind of money on his investment but not to assemble a single team in 50 years that wins a superbowl? i don't think so. maybe he is just an awful football man but i would argue that it's more about priorities and choices and winning a sb just isn't near as high as making money (which he continues to do with a horrible product). btw, if at 92, money is not important but winning is why is he not blowing the bank to obtain a winner?

he also makes the appreciation of the asset which has been significant and could be more if he produced a decent team. but really the point i was making is that he's smart enough to make that kind of money on his investment but not to assemble a single team in 50 years that wins a superbowl? i don't think so. maybe he is just an awful football man but i would argue that it's more about priorities and choices and winning a sb just isn't near as high as making money (which he continues to do with a horrible product). btw, if at 92, money is not important but winning is why is he not blowing the bank to obtain a winner?

Maybe because he's smart enough to know that every team that blows the bank to obtain a winner ends up losing. If spending money wildly led to winning, the Redskins would be the winningest franchise over the last decade.