Patriots plan works

bills7834

How do they Patriots remain so good. With the draft picks they have piled up they will be good for years to come. Having Brady on your team doesn't hurt. But they still won some games with an average at best QB in Cassell.

They don't waste high draft picks on RB's and WR's.

They put an emphasis on key positions and fill in the rest with average players.

Having a strong defensive line especially in the middle and strong LB's makes a defense work well. When your top CB wants to walk to make big money you let him go or trade him for some value and replace him with a draft choice.

They draft very good tight ends. The top WR's in the game can be covered by the top CB's and sometimes taken out of the game. Great TE's are a mismatch for a good safety or LB. They automatically are a mismatch and they take advantage of that.

On offense they put an emphasis on a strong OL while not spending a lot of time going after high profile RB's and WR's, minus the Moss trade. They also have a great QB to run the offense.

The thing they do with their veterans is probably one of the main reasons they remain one of the top teams. They trade players as they age, while they still have value. In doing this they replace a high salary with a younger high draft pick and keep on going and not missing much in the process. They play them and let them take their lumps. The days of allowing a player to sit and develop are gone with the modern day NFL. You must have blue chip players in key areas and then you just need to fill in the other areas with average, smart players that buy in to your system.

I believe that the modern NFL, since salary cap and free agency, the teams are watered down. If you just go back to the Bills glory days and look at both sides of the football and how many players they already have in the HOF. The Cowboys, Bills, Niners, Packers and some other teams of the early 90's would destroy the best teams today in my opinion, taking out advances in medicine and sports nutrition. The point I'm trying to make is that the Bills should be focusing on a few key areas in the next 2-3 drafts to be a great team in the modern day NFL. You will never have great players in every position. Don't waste draft picks on positions that are less important.

1. QB is the most important position in football. Makes the whole team better.

2. Great OL makes everyone on the offense better: QB, WR, RB.

3. Great TE's give a great outlet and are mismatches for defenses no matter what style you run.

4. Great DL (see above on OL): CB, Safety, LB.

5. Good LB's benefit from a great DL and are free to do their thing and fly around and show why they are the best athletes in the NFL.

I don't watch enough college football to even act like I'm an expert. I can't take both Saturday and Sunday off with kids to watch football. I know if AJ Green is to fall to 3, I don't want the Bills to waste a pick on him. He is a game changer, from what I've seen, but I want a player that is worthy of the pick that will make everyone else around him better. In my opinion a player like that is someone you grab when you have a strong DL and OL already in place. It's like installing a beautiful front door on a house before building the foundation or framework.

Edited by bills7834

I fixed your post for you. This is how the Bills plan is opposite of New England's

How do they Patriots Bills remain so good bad. With the draft picks they have piled wasted they will be good bad for years to come. Having Brady Fitzgibbons on your team doesn't hurt hurts. But they still won lost some games with an average at best QB in Cassell Brohm.

They don't put an emphasis on key positions and fill in the rest with average players.

Having a strong an average defensive line especially but great in the middle and strong weak LB's makes a defense work well worse. When your top CB wants to walk to make big money you let him go or instead of trade trading him for some value and replace him with a draft choice.

They draft very good below average tight ends. The top WR's in the game can be covered by the top CB's and sometimes taken out of the game. Great TE's are a mismatch for a good safety or LB. They automatically are a mismatch and they take advantage of that.

On offense they put an no emphasis on a strong OL while not spending a lot of time going after high profile RB's and WR's, minus the Moss trade. They also have an great average QB to run the offense.

The thing they do with their veterans is probably one of the main reasons they remain one of the top worst teams. They trade players as before they age, while they still have no value. In doing this they replace a high salary with a younger high draft pick and keep on going and not missing much in the repeating this process. They play them and let them take their lumps. The days of allowing a player to sit and develop are gone with the modern day NFL. You must have blue chip players in key areas and then you just need to fill in the other areas with average, smart players that buy in to your system.

Edited by OverPowerYou

What is your plan for the Bills to draft the 2nd coming of Tom Brady (and keep him)?

I would get in my time machine and go back and draft him in the 5th round.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Get a better scouting department?

With all the picks we have wasted on CB's, Safety, RB's and terrible DL in the first round I would have taken more than 1 shot at a QB in the first round since Jim Kelly left. Keeping a franchise QB is not a problem. You pay him what he wants and lock him in to a long term contract. Brady was a fluke. I would venture to say another QB taken in the 6th round will not come close to his level in my lifetime and I'm not 40 yet. But I don't think you will find him in the 2nd and 3rd rounds where the Bills have been looking. I don't want them to reach but make an effort to bring in a franchise QB. Good QB's go early every year. It's funny how that works. I would rather they had wasted several first round picks looking for that guy than the wasted picks on less important postions.

I think if you put 10 other Qb's, currently playing in the NFL, on that team they would be almost as successful. I wouldn't draft the sexiest pick in early rounds. While I like Spiller and think he will turn out to be a good hybrid RB for our team. There were players available that would make this team better all around.

Tell that to Lawrence Maroney and Chad Jackson.

I'm don't want to appear that I am defending the Patriots, I hate them. I'm saying they have a plan and it seems to be working. They are the model NFL team of the decade as much as I hate to say it. They key on certain postions and ensure they have great players in those postions. They have missed on many draft picks like every other team in the NFL. Maroney was picked later in the first round(21, I think) and didn't pan out. Chad Jackson same thing in the second round. The difference is they already had an all world QB, strong lines and good LB's. It seems simple as long as you can hit on some of your draft picks. Don't draft Rb's,CB',Wr's early in the draft until you can run the ball, stop the run, and have a very good QB. It also helps if you have few holes to fill and a butt load of draft picks.

The only reason the Patriots found this dynasty was Bledsoe. Had Bledsoe not been hurt Brady would not have played. Bledsoe would have never led them as far as Brady and Brady would have never started.

If you think Belicheck would have pulled Bledsoe, you're wrong. Belicheck had not pulled him and most likely traded Brady after a another season in New England. He had just signed a record contract under Belicheck. You can look at the situation now and see that he is willing to cut anyone who's not cutting it but all of this was before he got his legs underneath him. If he'd have cut Bledsoe it could have led to Belicheck's undoing, failing at his 2nd (tho technically 3rd) stint as HC.

There is no way to copy the Patriots success, it was a fluke - an amazing event that has yielded a beyond imaginable outcome. Some congratulate the Patriots for their success, I congratulate them on their luck...that and Mo Lewis.

This will be easier

2002- 1st rd pick- Daniel Graham 2nd rd- Deion Branch

2003- Bethel Johnson 2nd rd

2004- Ben Wastson- 2nd rd

2006- Maroney 1st rd/ Chad Jackson 2nd rd

2010- Rob Gronkowski 2nd rd

They've spent 3 picks on te's in the 1st and 2nd rd's in the past 6 years 2 of which are no longer with the team. They've also traded a 2nd rd pick for Wes Welker. Take notice of something. Benjarvus green ellis- 2 of his top 3 rushing performances this year came against the Bills. He has 2 100 yard games. 1 against the Bills. Danny Woodhead- has 1 100 yard game this year. Against who else? The Bills. Outside of playing Buffalo the patriots have a very stagnant run game. Don't be surprised should they run into a team like Baltimore or KC who actually stick to the run, that they'll be an early playoff exit, just like they were when the Ravens on the legs of Ray Rice knocked them around. Less we also forget on the subject of running backs that in 2003 The Patriots traded a 2nd rd pick to the Bengals to acquire Corey Dillon. Let's not make NE out to be a team that doesn't use high end picks to acquire Rbs/Wr's/Db's cause recent and past history suggests differently. I'm more inclined to agree that NE is a good team because they do tend to hit quite well on the high end picks they've spent over the years on defensive lineman such as Seymour/Wilfork/Warren, have quality depth to go behind it, and have a steady offensive line, with a top tier qb and coaching staff. There is no magical formula to drafting. Good players are good players, but The Pats have missed on quite a few.

The reason the Patriots do so well is because they don't have a defined plan, like you seem to think.

Sometimes they trade up, sometimes they trade down.

They've wasted picks on skill position players, as you noted.

They're not afraid to cut or trade aging players like Moss, McGinnest, Seymour, Milloy, Vrabel, etc.

They're not afraid to acquire aging players that other teams are down on- Moss, Harrison, Dillon, Seau, Branch.

They've made big splashes in free agency like Colvin.

The way they handle their personnel defies any bland "formula," and to suggest otherwise is foolish. They're great because they have the best coach, got lucky on a great QB, and seem to evaluate existing NFL talent better than any other team in the league. That last one isn't luck. But they don't have a predetermined formula, they go case by case, as any smart team should.

This will be easier

2002- 1st rd pick- Daniel Graham 2nd rd- Deion Branch

2003- Bethel Johnson 2nd rd

2004- Ben Wastson- 2nd rd

2006- Maroney 1st rd/ Chad Jackson 2nd rd

2010- Rob Gronkowski 2nd rd

They've spent 3 picks on te's in the 1st and 2nd rd's in the past 6 years 2 of which are no longer with the team. They've also traded a 2nd rd pick for Wes Welker. Take notice of something. Benjarvus green ellis- 2 of his top 3 rushing performances this year came against the Bills. He has 2 100 yard games. 1 against the Bills. Danny Woodhead- has 1 100 yard game this year. Against who else? The Bills. Outside of playing Buffalo the patriots have a very stagnant run game. Don't be surprised should they run into a team like Baltimore or KC who actually stick to the run, that they'll be an early playoff exit, just like they were when the Ravens on the legs of Ray Rice knocked them around. Less we also forget on the subject of running backs that in 2003 The Patriots traded a 2nd rd pick to the Bengals to acquire Corey Dillon. Let's not make NE out to be a team that doesn't use high end picks to acquire Rbs/Wr's/Db's cause recent and past history suggests differently. I'm more inclined to agree that NE is a good team because they do tend to hit quite well on the high end picks they've spent over the years on defensive lineman such as Seymour/Wilfork/Warren, have quality depth to go behind it, and have a steady offensive line, with a top tier qb and coaching staff. There is no magical formula to drafting. Good players are good players, but The Pats have missed on quite a few.

I guess I stand corrected on them drafting Wr's and Rb's early. My original point is they seem to put an emphasis on strong line play on both sides of the ball, great TE's and stick to that plan. How Brady started his playing career with the Bledsoe injury was also luck of the straw. If they didn't have strong lines they wouldn't pick the more skilled postions like we have for the past decade.

Having said all that I have hope that Nix and Co. will turn this ship around. I'm hoping the majority of our draft picks from last year continue to develop and they have a strong draft this year. This draft should have the biggest impact we've had in years with very early picks in each round. While this draft is not the final step it will show if the "new" front office has the ability to turn this thing around.

I'm don't want to appear that I am defending the Patriots, I hate them. I'm saying they have a plan and it seems to be working. They are the model NFL team of the decade as much as I hate to say it. They key on certain postions and ensure they have great players in those postions. They have missed on many draft picks like every other team in the NFL. Maroney was picked later in the first round(21, I think) and didn't pan out. Chad Jackson same thing in the second round. The difference is they already had an all world QB, strong lines and good LB's. It seems simple as long as you can hit on some of your draft picks. Don't draft Rb's,CB',Wr's early in the draft until you can run the ball, stop the run, and have a very good QB. It also helps if you have few holes to fill and a butt load of draft picks.

The key is the "all world" QB. With that in place they can focus all of their resources on every other position. They can afford to miss every so often, and move up and down the board since they don't need to be picking as high as possible because they don't need that franchise type guy. They have him at QB. Think of all the picks wasted by the Bills the last 10 years trying to get just a good QB. A 1st on Bledsoe, a 1st and 2nd on Losman and a 3rd on Edwards. All that and we're going into next year with a 7th round guy who was signed as a UFA.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Benjarvus green ellis- 2 of his top 3 rushing performances this year came against the Bills. He has 2 100 yard games. 1 against the Bills. Danny Woodhead- has 1 100 yard game this year. Against who else? The Bills. Outside of playing Buffalo the patriots have a very stagnant run game. Don't be surprised should they run into a team like Baltimore or KC who actually stick to the run, that they'll be an early playoff exit, just like they were when the Ravens on the legs of Ray Rice knocked them around.

Do me a favor and look up what team lead the league in rushing TDs this year. Then, I want you to compare that number to the number of rushing TDs the Bills had this year. You would think that investing such high draft picks on RBs would result in the Bills having some success in the running game.

Patriots win by scheming and Belicheck putting his players in a position to succeed. Not drafting for need, but drafting for system.

The only reason the Patriots found this dynasty was Bledsoe. Had Bledsoe not been hurt Brady would not have played. Bledsoe would have never led them as far as Brady and Brady would have never started.

If you think Belicheck would have pulled Bledsoe, you're wrong. Belicheck had not pulled him and most likely traded Brady after a another season in New England. He had just signed a record contract under Belicheck. You can look at the situation now and see that he is willing to cut anyone who's not cutting it but all of this was before he got his legs underneath him. If he'd have cut Bledsoe it could have led to Belicheck's undoing, failing at his 2nd (tho technically 3rd) stint as HC.

There is no way to copy the Patriots success, it was a fluke - an amazing event that has yielded a beyond imaginable outcome. Some congratulate the Patriots for their success, I congratulate them on their luck...that and Mo Lewis.

Perfectly said. :thumbsup:

I think the Bills plan is completely opposite of the Patriots.

The Bills have had been in chaos since John Butler left. Three GMs and 5 coaches later we are still looking for a QB and we have less talent than we had 10 year ago.

The Patriots have endured changes by being so sucessful. The have impressed me by grooming replacement coaches and front office people, almost all from within.

They have drafted wisely and used free agency to perfection. Their ability to unload players and stockpile draft picks is unmatched. Sure, drafting Brady at 6 was luck but with all the continuous smart moves they make it should not surprise us that that they will find players in any round.

At the top of it is Belichek. He seems to run everything and no one in the league plans better or has the attention to detail that he has.

How are people arguing this? It clearly works. TE is a much more effective position than WR and RB. Maybe not to acrue stats but to acrue wins. Every playoff team this year has a top TE, every stinking one. Not every team has a top QB but thats becasue there isnt a top QB in the NFC West and one of their teams has to get in. When a OL can open up truck lanes any ole bum could play RB and get 4 yards a carry just as long as he doesnt fumble. When that same OL gives brady enough time to shave his nuts before throwing the ball any scrap WR can get open - remember DBs arent allowed to breathe on WRs anymore.

Every year we draft more crappy Rbs WRs, and DBs is another year wasted.

PS I watched the cotton bowl alst night and if that Patrick Peterson is half as good as they are making him out to be that we should draft that WR #8 from A&M because he was straight owning Peterson (who looked like garbage) **Im just making a point, we should not draft a WR.

The Bills have had been in chaos since John Butler left. Three GMs and 5 coaches later we are still looking for a QB and we have less talent than we had 10 year ago.

The Patriots have endured changes by being so sucessful. The have impressed me by grooming replacement coaches and front office people, almost all from within.

They have drafted wisely and used free agency to perfection. Their ability to unload players and stockpile draft picks is unmatched. Sure, drafting Brady at 6 was luck but with all the continuous smart moves they make it should not surprise us that that they will find players in any round.

At the top of it is Belichek. He seems to run everything and no one in the league plans better or has the attention to detail that he has.

I think the real troubles go back to the Polian era. Butler did a great job in SD, but in Buffalo, he was unable to rebuild the team to take advantage of the talent he inherited. Look at his drafts: http://drafthistory.com/teams/bills.html (1993-2000). Three CBs in the first round, a pick blown on Rob Johnson, another on Antowain Smith, Eric Flowers, etc. He deserves credit for Reuben Brown and Eric Moulds, but it's not a great track record. When we needed a hit in the second round, we got a torrent of Lonnie Johnsons and Todd Collins.

You cannot discount the Brady / Belichek factor, but I think the "formula" is rather simple. The Pats win, which makes Foxboro a desireable place for FAs and they treat it like a business, trading used players(see: Moss, Randy) at a time when teams think they may still get something out of them. Also, they draft well...maybe not all "superstars" or Pro Bowlers, but guys who assimilate to the culture and fill roles where needed.

Bottom line, guys want to play there....just like guys wanted to play for the Bills in the early 90's. The location does not matter....winning does.

With all the picks we have wasted on CB's, Safety, RB's and terrible DL in the first round

This.

The Bills have refused to spend top picks on the front 7 and OL for years (other than a one-year wonder "defensive end" that is built like a small linebacker) and that is why they get manhandled against teams like the Pats* who understand the need to build from the inside out. The Pats are literally pulling guys off waivers to play RB while the Bills continue to spend first round picks on that position every 3 years.

The maddening thing about it is how the Bills continually pass on stud talent at positions of huge need. I'll never bemoan not drafting Brady because no one saw that coming. But to pass on highly regarded performers like Wilfork, Ngata, Oher, Clady, Orakpa, Bulaga, etc. when they had huge holes at those positions is maddening.

I've listened to Patriots players and coaches being interviewed on NFL radio and I can tell you the single most import reason for their success:

They Adapt.

To a man, the coaches and players say they don't have a system and try to fit players in, they identify players who have a talent and try to figure out a way to exploit that talent. The players dictate the type of system they run, the system doesn't dictate to the type of players they acquire.

Think about the 19-1 season. They ran a wide-open, spread offense focusing on the passing game. They put up insane point. Why? Because they added Randy Moss and Wes Welker during the offseason.

Now think back to the previous Super Bowl runs, where they had Branch, Brown and Givens, and Kevin Faulk was the focus of their running game. They ran a completely different style of offense focusing on "dink and dunk" with the small, fast receivers.

I've listened to Patriots players and coaches being interviewed on NFL radio and I can tell you the single most import reason for their success:

They Adapt.

To a man, the coaches and players say they don't have a system and try to fit players in, they identify players who have a talent and try to figure out a way to exploit that talent. The players dictate the type of system they run, the system doesn't dictate to the type of players they acquire.

Think about the 19-1 season. They ran a wide-open, spread offense focusing on the passing game. They put up insane point. Why? Because they added Randy Moss and Wes Welker during the offseason.

Now think back to the previous Super Bowl runs, where they had Branch, Brown and Givens, and Kevin Faulk was the focus of their running game. They ran a completely different style of offense focusing on "dink and dunk" with the small, fast receivers.

Excellent point. And this goes to back to the draft -- passing on premier talent because "he doens't play in the right scheme".

How do they Patriots remain so good. With the draft picks they have piled up they will be good for years to come. Having Brady on your team doesn't hurt. But they still won some games with an average at best QB in Cassell.

They put an emphasis on key positions and fill in the rest with average players.

Having a strong defensive line especially in the middle and strong LB's makes a defense work well. When your top CB wants to walk to make big money you let him go or trade him for some value and replace him with a draft choice.

They draft very good tight ends. The top WR's in the game can be covered by the top CB's and sometimes taken out of the game. Great TE's are a mismatch for a good safety or LB. They automatically are a mismatch and they take advantage of that.

On offense they put an emphasis on a strong OL while not spending a lot of time going after high profile RB's and WR's, minus the Moss trade. They also have a great QB to run the offense.

The thing they do with their veterans is probably one of the main reasons they remain one of the top teams. They trade players as they age, while they still have value. In doing this they replace a high salary with a younger high draft pick and keep on going and not missing much in the process. They play them and let them take their lumps. The days of allowing a player to sit and develop are gone with the modern day NFL. You must have blue chip players in key areas and then you just need to fill in the other areas with average, smart players that buy in to your system.

I believe that the modern NFL, since salary cap and free agency, the teams are watered down. If you just go back to the Bills glory days and look at both sides of the football and how many players they already have in the HOF. The Cowboys, Bills, Niners, Packers and some other teams of the early 90's would destroy the best teams today in my opinion, taking out advances in medicine and sports nutrition. The point I'm trying to make is that the Bills should be focusing on a few key areas in the next 2-3 drafts to be a great team in the modern day NFL. You will never have great players in every position. Don't waste draft picks on positions that are less important.

1. QB is the most important position in football. Makes the whole team better.

2. Great OL makes everyone on the offense better: QB, WR, RB.

3. Great TE's give a great outlet and are mismatches for defenses no matter what style you run.

4. Great DL (see above on OL): CB, Safety, LB.

5. Good LB's benefit from a great DL and are free to do their thing and fly around and show why they are the best athletes in the NFL.

I don't watch enough college football to even act like I'm an expert. I can't take both Saturday and Sunday off with kids to watch football. I know if AJ Green is to fall to 3, I don't want the Bills to waste a pick on him. He is a game changer, from what I've seen, but I want a player that is worthy of the pick that will make everyone else around him better. In my opinion a player like that is someone you grab when you have a strong DL and OL already in place. It's like installing a beautiful front door on a house before building the foundation or framework.

The patriots have spent just as many 1st and 2nd round picks on RB and WR and they have on line in the past ten years. Look it up. Seriously stop perpetuating the nonsense on this board that WR and RB shouldnt be drafted high. The Patriots do it.

The patriots are good bc they get the best value out of the picks they stockpile. Oh yea, they also have a great QB who makes any talent around him better. Think thats probably the most important thing to copying their success.

The patriots have spent just as many 1st and 2nd round picks on RB and WR and they have on line in the past ten years. Look it up. Seriously stop perpetuating the nonsense on this board that WR and RB shouldnt be drafted high. The Patriots do it.

The patriots are good bc they get the best value out of the picks they stockpile. Oh yea, they also have a great QB who makes any talent around him better. Think thats probably the most important thing to copying their success.

I don't dispute that Brady is the key, but your research off a little off. The last WR the Pats took in round 1 was Terry Glenn. Maroney is the only first round RB they've taken this century (compared to 3 for Buffalo). They've also drafted 3 DT that have beent to 9 probowls in that time, plus one of the best young linebackers and best young safteys in football.

There's nothing wrong with drafting WR and RB high -- assuming you don't have a mess on the OL and the worst front 7 in football.

I don't dispute that Brady is the key, but your research off a little off. The last WR the Pats took in round 1 was Terry Glenn. Maroney is the only first round RB they've taken this century (compared to 3 for Buffalo). They've also drafted 3 DT that have beent to 9 probowls in that time, plus one of the best young linebackers and best young safteys in football.

There's nothing wrong with drafting WR and RB high -- assuming you don't have a mess on the OL and the worst front 7 in football.

No my research is not wrong, i said first two rounds.

BTW the pats havent taken a OL in the first two rounds since 2005.

Since 2002 they have selected in the 1st round 1 CB, 2 safeties, 1 LB, 1 RB, and 1 OL and 2 DL. So are they wasting picks on skill positions?

If you include the 2nd round they have picked 6 DBs, 3 TEs, 4 DL, 3 WR, 1 LB and 1 RB with 1 OL.

thats 8/19 picks used for lineman if you include TEs or about 42% of their high picks. So most of their picks were on skill positions including a lot of DBs.

The Bills in that same time period took 5 DL, 1 OL and 1 TE for 7/19 picks used on line positions. THEY USED ONE LESS PICK than the Pats. The bills also took 4 fewer DBs and 1 more WR.

So the analysis is way off. Its not hte position that you draft its whether you draft the right players. Keep in mind the Pats also had their QB in place during this time period. We still do not.

Its a little different when you break down the numbers isnt it. The pats are great bc they draft the best players they can and dont draft someone just bc they play a position. The bills are wise to follow the same and they did last year with Spiller. Its hard to argue there were better players available at that point (yes some taken after have performed better but thats hindsight now)

Pats* QBs Drafted

Year  Round 	Player
1993 1 Drew Bledsoe
1994 7 Jay Walker
1999 7 Michael Bishop
2000 6 Tom Brady
2002 4 Rohan Davey
2003 6 Kliff Kingsbury
2005 5 Matt Cassel
2008 3 Kevin OConnell
2010 7 Zac Robinson[/Code]

It's obvious that they built their team by drafting on average a QB every 2 years in the 5th round.

Their stats bear me out.