Luck will not declare for the draft. Breaking news...

dayman

You have never played poker then. Sometimes when you receive a bad beat or get outmaneuvered by an opponent, you go on tilt and end up quickly blowing your entire chipstack. Carolina outmaneuvered everyone by tanking on purpose when they trotted out Jimmy Clausen to go under center every week. Gailey and Nix would be seething and CONSUMED by the fact that they came close to Luck but another organization showed better moxie. There's no way their personnel decisions this offseason wouldn't have suffered. But now, they can rest easy knowing that they didn't lose anything at all. Carolina's front office is now on tilt.

Yep, Carolina tanked the whole year just so they could get Luck, a kid who might not even enter the draft. Why in the hell did they waste a second round pick on Clausen in the first place? :huh:

Edited by Stl Bills

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another thing to consider...he is losing 3/5 of his offensive line, Harbaugh is leaving for sure, and he will be playing for a new head coach, who will very likely NOT have a 12 win team next year...when you look at all the variables involved, that has to be one of the worst decisions you could possibly make...

Unless, of course, he values his education dearly and wants to finish his degree before embarking on an NFL career...

"I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012," said Luck.

I'm fairly certain he's weighed everything you cited, plus a whole lot more that you've never considered. You could argue that he's making the wrong decision - I would then argue that he's probably a lot smarter than you.

Unless, of course, he values his education dearly and wants to finish his degree before embarking on an NFL career...

"I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012," said Luck.

I'm fairly certain he's weighed everything you cited, plus a whole lot more that you've never considered. You could argue that he's making the wrong decision - I would then argue that he's probably a lot smarter than you.

Yeah, except why couldn't he complete his degree anyway...? Especially if there's a lockout. :)

I suppose if he really wants to finish by 2012, that makes sense. I just don't understand why he wouldn't do it slowly or go back after.

To each his own though. Not going to begrudge a guy for getting his education (even though we all know football players who are stars for their school and getting scholarships don't care about education, right? ;) ).

this sucks! He better not get hurt or this will be a bad decision. It is a bad decision because when you are guranteed #1 you taking to much risk in getting hurt or doing poorly to drop your status. There have been some that went back that still got drafted high but many did not (Jake Locker) and I am not referring to any delusional players (Javan Snead) that should have stayed in, I'm talking about obvious guranteed high round picks.

O'h well I guess we can get Marcell Dareus (no Bowers please).

I'd be willing to bet bet he'll take out insurance if he does indeed stay.

The Bills new strategy should not to be tank next season (although they really won’t have to try to tank it lol), but use this draft to position themselves for next draft.

Bowers/Fairly now look like 1-2 locks, so we can stop dreaming of them. Trade back in the 1st, add another 2nd this year and next, then get Quinn/Dareus/Carimi. Trade a 2011 2nd for a 2012 first. Position yourself to have 5 picks in the first 50 of the 2012 draft and go after him then. Please don’t try and tell me a QB like that isn’t worth it because it has been proven time and time again that they are (I’m not saying you need to use all 5 to trade).

If you are thinking long term that’s the best course of action. Im not sure about 2012 but 2011 is not a deep draft with just a few elite prospects, so trading picks for next years picks wont kill us.

PS he could still change his mind if/when Harbaugh leaves. When is the deadline anyways?

How hilarious would this be if we went 0-16 just to draft him?

PTR

Almost as hilarious as going 4-12 this season, and having folks whine that we should have lost 4 more games!

And believe me, someone - maybe (Insert Name-of-Arm Here) - will be arguing vociferously that it's in the Bills interest to do so. :wallbash:

the purpose of an education is to get a better job to make more money. No offense but he is not going to be asked mechanical engineering questions when he overthrows a WR on the field...educations are great, but they are great for a reason, and that reason is to make more money at a better job. If its that important he can go online and read everything there is to know about mechanical engineering and get every book out of the library...you get the same knowledge and you don't have to pass up 60 million to do it...

If that's true how do you explain the 18 year old actors who go to college & take classes that have nothing to do with their acting careers? He's not passing up anything, he's deferring it by one year. If he ends up making $155 million in his NFL career instead of $160 million does it really matter?

Two way of thinking

1 Thank the lord he isn't coming out the Bills were so close and except for winning a few meaningless games he would be coming to Buffalo

2 Sh t that means one of the Defense guys the bills want might not make it to three

we shall see

Unfortunately reality is # 2

The Bills new strategy should not to be tank next season (although they really won’t have to try to tank it lol), but use this draft to position themselves for next draft.

Bowers/Fairly now look like 1-2 locks, so we can stop dreaming of them. Trade back in the 1st, add another 2nd this year and next, then get Quinn/Dareus/Carimi. Trade a 2011 2nd for a 2012 first. Position yourself to have 5 picks in the first 50 of the 2012 draft and go after him then. Please don’t try and tell me a QB like that isn’t worth it because it has been proven time and time again that they are (I’m not saying you need to use all 5 to trade).

If you are thinking long term that’s the best course of action. Im not sure about 2012 but 2011 is not a deep draft with just a few elite prospects, so trading picks for next years picks wont kill us.

PS he could still change his mind if/when Harbaugh leaves. When is the deadline anyways?

Not sure which deadline you mean - deadline to declare for this April draft is next Friday, Jan. 15 - Harbaugh's self-imposed deadline on where he'll be next season is end of this week (colleges have already begun working to sign their HS recruits as of Tuesday, so there's that to consider).

Something tells me Harbaugh and Luck have already discussed the situation extensively - nothing's changing.)

Edited by The Senator

great news. Take the temptation off the table so Buddy can focus on finding a real pass rusher or RT.

:wallbash: What do you guys not get here. There is no Tackle to take at 3 and we have less of a chance at a Fairley or Bowers because they might now go 1 & 2.

Well, academically, he'll be done as a student - supposedly taking 19 credit units this next term just to stay on schedule for Spring 2012 graduation . I don't know what the rules are or if it's ever been done, but I suppose he could go for a Masters Degree and play while in grad school.

It's actually fairly common, especially at schools which actually graduate most of their players.

Stanford's net coach won't mess with Luck.

Carolina's satement had nothing to do with this.

Senator isn't the only onw who said Luck wouldn't come out.

The next coach may not mess with Luck. But the real question is, will he be even as good a coach as Harbaugh purportedly is? The only real reasons to return to school are a) to finish his degree, b) to win the Heismann and c) to win a national championship. I've already made my feelings known on a), b) is a kiss of death for NFL-bound QB's, and I'd be willing to bet that there are at best a handful of division I-A coaches who have won a national championship their first year with a team, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it has never happened before.

Can't say the Panthers' statement had nothing to do with it. It's possible that Luck/his camp were ready to pull an Eli Manning and force a trade somewhere he wanted to be. With Carolina saying they weren't going to trade the pick OR him, that slams the door on that.

I never said he would come out. Just that he'd be a fool not to do so. I guess we'll see next year at this time.

Yeah, except why couldn't he complete his degree anyway...? Especially if there's a lockout. :)

I suppose if he really wants to finish by 2012, that makes sense. I just don't understand why he wouldn't do it slowly or go back after.

To each his own though. Not going to begrudge a guy for getting his education (even though we all know football players who are stars for their school and getting scholarships don't care about education, right? ;) ).

Maybe he wants to finish his degree before the world ends on 12/21/2012?

This just jacked up every mock draft in America.

Yet another reason why January mock drafts are useless. I'm going to print off a few now and compare them to the final mocks that are done after real pick info leaks out in April. I would guess that 1/2 of the 1st round changes. Maybe I can look at last year.....

the purpose of an education is to get a better job to make more money. No offense but he is not going to be asked mechanical engineering questions when he overthrows a WR on the field...educations are great, but they are great for a reason, and that reason is to make more money at a better job. If its that important he can go online and read everything there is to know about mechanical engineering and get every book out of the library...you get the same knowledge and you don't have to pass up 60 million to do it...

Tell that to my wife who went to one of the top business schools in the country for her MBA just because she wanted to prove she could do it.

(although I wish she'd use it to get a higher paying job, I really do! :( ).