Blaine Gabbert going Pro

Stl Bills

I'm sure we'll get into this more in the off season. but is there any evidence that sitting helps a quarterback improve more than playing? I mean actual evidence, not anecdotal stuff. I'd even take a strong logical argument.

I think it depends on the team around the QB. If you have a weak team like buffalo (bad O line, problems at WR, potential RB problems if Freddie hits a wall) then I think you sit him, perserve his confidence, and let him learn from a vet. (Like Rodgers in Green Bay). If you have built up your lines (O and D) and have a good RB, you start him like St. Louis did with Bradford. This is a gross over generalization, but what I would recommend. Of course, i'm sure you can make that argument that if we get a top QB you can start him right away regardless and i'm sure teams have done that in the past w/o must of a core around him (P. Manning, Marino, etc.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/31/todd-mcshay-backlash-builds/

He routinely gets blasted for being wrong. McShay is terrible.

Good find K and in honesty i personally don't agree with mcshay on those wild projections he gives certain players like gabbert.

I just figured that for the most part he must know what he's doing since he still has a job and seems to be gaining popularity.

Daniels goes about 5'11 with his cleats on.

Well then he must have taken lessons from David Blaine on how to levitate before the 2009 combine. He measured exactly 6ft tall with no shoes on in front of about 200 NFL scouts and personnel members.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chase-daniel?id=81284

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56835&draftyear=2009&genpos=QB

i want a defensive pick in the first TWO rounds!

i've heard a hellofvalot of andrew luck. i even know about heisman winner cam newton.

WHO THE HELL IS BLAINE GABBERT? or was it just a dumb mock draft with zero background info.

i couldnt see myself rooting for someone with a dumb name like that anyway. go gabberts!

I think it depends on the team around the QB. If you have a weak team like buffalo (bad O line, problems at WR, potential RB problems if Freddie hits a wall) then I think you sit him, perserve his confidence, and let him learn from a vet. (Like Rodgers in Green Bay). If you have built up your lines (O and D) and have a good RB, you start him like St. Louis did with Bradford. This is a gross over generalization, but what I would recommend. Of course, i'm sure you can make that argument that if we get a top QB you can start him right away regardless and i'm sure teams have done that in the past w/o must of a core around him (P. Manning, Marino, etc.)

Manning didn't have a core around him? Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, Tarik Glenn, Adam Meadows, Ken Dilger aren't a core?

This is a QB I would look at if he slides into round 2.....and would make all the more sense if we could trade down and pick up an additional 2nd rounder

IMO he'll slide into the second at least. But I'm no draft expert.

I think you'll have Luck, Mallet, Newton, maybe Locker, and maybe even someone like Ponder all go before him.

I wouldn't be upset if we got him in the second, especially late in the second like you suggest.

I would be much happier if we got him in the third.

I've watched Gabbert many times, and I believe that he has a phenomenal arm. Anybody see the Insight Bowl? He threw for nearly 500 yards, including several extremely accurate long tosses. He was the top pro-style quarterback recruit in the country his senior year of high school. He's big, fast, and tough. I think he definitely has the strength to work the ball in Buffalo weather.

I don't think he's worth the 3rd pick, but if we found somebody in the top 15 who really needed to move up, I'd try to get Gabbert on this team.

I remember when we had the 4th pick, and I was really hoping they would trade out of that slot, because one player wasn't going to make a big difference. Turns out the guy they picked didn't make any difference at all, except in the width of Ralph's wallet. Mike Williams!!

I've watched Gabbert many times, and I believe that he has a phenomenal arm. Anybody see the Insight Bowl? He threw for nearly 500 yards, including several extremely accurate long tosses. He was the top pro-style quarterback recruit in the country his senior year of high school. He's big, fast, and tough. I think he definitely has the strength to work the ball in Buffalo weather.

I don't think he's worth the 3rd pick, but if we found somebody in the top 15 who really needed to move up, I'd try to get Gabbert on this team.

I remember when we had the 4th pick, and I was really hoping they would trade out of that slot, because one player wasn't going to make a big difference. Turns out the guy they picked didn't make any difference at all, except in the width of Ralph's wallet. Mike Williams!!

If you really believe in a player, you don't gamble that he'll still be there and trade down, because unless you're projecting him an entire round down, that is way too dangerous. Also, trading down is a lot tougher to do with a top 5 pick. Moving down from 3 to 15, or somewhere in between is good if you don't have a specific player in mind and the other team does.

In 2001, the Bills wanted a LT and there was McKinnie who made a lot more sense than Mike Williams available at #4. Never pick a guy with a history of weight problems that high, it's a gamble that is just too high risk, low reward. Even though McKinnie isn't great, he's been with the Vikings 10 years now and is way better than any tackle the bills have.

So, if you think Gabbert is a franchise QB, you take him at 3, if you don't, you pass on him entirely and don't trade down because if he's either good enough at 3 or not worth it at 15. Any 1st round QB who doesn't pan out sets the franchise back a minimum of 3 years.

I really hope the Bills don't go anywhere near Gabbert, even in the second round. People talk about how everyone is high on him, but the reality is all of the positive press is coming from only two places, Mizzou or McShay. McShay and the ESPN Scouts.com crew love this guy, but in the 2 games I watched of him this year (I know limited sample size) this guy was awful. In the Iowa game in particular he exhibited almost nothing you'd like to see in a pro qb. He had happy feet, was inaccurate and error prone on his throws that were over 10 yards.

He captained a 12th ranked team to a loss against the unranked opponent throwing two picks along the way, and plays in a spread system that exagerates his stats. He physically is nothing like Daniels, but the reality is he hasn't done much better in the same system. Add to that the fact that he's lost every big game he played in, and I just can't see why McShay is pimping this kid so hard, and / or why so many people seem to be falling for it.

The Bills already have a system Qb on the roster that they don't need in Brohm, they should be looking to replace him with someone much better, and not just another guy who will fail in the NFL.

Edited by DC Grid

Umm, Chase Daniel hasn't even had a chance to prove himself in the Pros yet...the guy backs up Drew Brees for god's sake. I think he'll eventually start somewhere. I think he's in a great situation learning from Brees, and although he's short he does have a good arm (its not Elway-like but its above average). Just my two cents though. Hell the one time he got any work against a number one defense was this preseason when he played a whole quarter against the Texans' starters and all he did was throw 3 TDs in one quarter.

Where oh god did you get that avatar pic from?

If you really believe in a player, you don't gamble that he'll still be there and trade down, because unless you're projecting him an entire round down, that is way too dangerous. Also, trading down is a lot tougher to do with a top 5 pick. Moving down from 3 to 15, or somewhere in between is good if you don't have a specific player in mind and the other team does.

In 2001, the Bills wanted a LT and there was McKinnie who made a lot more sense than Mike Williams available at #4. Never pick a guy with a history of weight problems that high, it's a gamble that is just too high risk, low reward. Even though McKinnie isn't great, he's been with the Vikings 10 years now and is way better than any tackle the bills have.

So, if you think Gabbert is a franchise QB, you take him at 3, if you don't, you pass on him entirely and don't trade down because if he's either good enough at 3 or not worth it at 15. Any 1st round QB who doesn't pan out sets the franchise back a minimum of 3 years.

I can honestly say I'd rather have Bell over Mckinne. Mckinnie got abused all of 2010.

McShay had him as the #2 QB in the draft. The kid has talent but he has never blown me away. But it just goes to show the power that analyst who never worked a day in a NFL front office have. McShay pimped Jevan Snead and they didn't get drafted and got cut in camp.

He was also Maybin's biggest supporter and said he was the next Jason Taylor...So... :huh: