Shawn Merriman radio interview

zow2

He was interviewed on The Sports Junkies Show yesterday in the DC area. He's from there and gave some insight about the Bills and why he signed. He's honest about not wanting to sign w/ Buffalo at 0-8 but now that he's been around the team,,,his perception of the organization has totally changed in a positive way. Good stuff. The interview starts at about 5 minutes in to this podcast, segment 11. I'm hoping that even if he flops, his signing will encourage other free agents to have an open mind and come here.

http://1067thefandc.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/the-sports-junkies-hour-4-1411/#more-59576

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was interviewed on The Sports Junkies Show yesterday in the DC area. He's from there and gave some insight about the Bills and why he signed. He's honest about not wanting to sign w/ Buffalo at 0-8 but now that he's been around the team,,,his perception of the organization has totally changed in a positive way. Good stuff. The interview starts at about 5 minutes in to this podcast, segment 11. I'm hoping that even if he flops, his signing will encourage other free agents to have an open mind and come here.

http://1067thefandc.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/the-sports-junkies-hour-4-1411/#more-59576

"now that he's been around the team,,,his perception of the organization has totally changed in a positive way." Yea, that and the 5 million+ he'll get from the Bills.

I dont think money has nothing to do with him saying YES i want to stay in Buffalo. He could of went out and got $ from another team but its a postive thing that he seen something special in the team and the players and seen they went out and fought every game.

To all the critics of this signing ... if Merriman cannot play he will be cut, terminated, off the payroll. The cost of this signing in the scheme of things is minimal unless it's all that Ralph/Buddy/Chan are willing to payout towards free agents this winter.

If he is a non-factor it's no biggie because his presence in training camp can only be helpful to the young players and he is not going to displace anyone either as a body on the summer time roster or on the payroll.

However, if he can play and even minimally resemble the player he once was he will be better than any of the veterans we currently have on the team. So, then we are getting a bargain.

The board naysayers would have screamed if he had signed with another team and put Buffalo down as a place no one wanted to play for.

I still believe that there is a limited sense of loyalty amongst some players and this might be the case that he'd sign with Buddy before anyone else could even attempt to sign him.

There are greater concerns with this team than Merriman and if we cut Maybin then we will already have some of Merriman's potential salary recouped.

Sounds like a lots of other FAs or players who think Buffalo is a wasteland, but then come to really like it once they spend some time there.

Exactly. Aside from Willis "baby daddy baby daddy baby daddy baby daddy" McGahee, who was a total tard, there are a LOT of players who come to realize how many positive aspects there are to playing for the Bills. It's pretty rare that someone is just dying to get out of here. Even now, you have Poz saying how much he wants to say...Florence saying that he's hoping to stay...etc. TKO loved it here, Bledsoe loved it here (at first lol), TO has had a lot of positive things to say, the list goes on and on. And having lived in Western NY for over ten years myself, I understand exactly why they feel this way. Maybe downtown B-lo is a bit of a hole, but that general area is a beautiful part of the country and there are a lot of really good people there. On top of that, the Ralph is always rockin', and we're one of the most passionate and loyal fan bases in all of sports.

Good to see Merriman is enjoying the idea of sticking around :thumbsup:

To all the critics of this signing ... if Merriman cannot play he will be cut, terminated, off the payroll. The cost of this signing in the scheme of things is minimal unless it's all that Ralph/Buddy/Chan are willing to payout towards free agents this winter.

If he is a non-factor it's no biggie because his presence in training camp can only be helpful to the young players and he is not going to displace anyone either as a body on the summer time roster or on the payroll.

However, if he can play and even minimally resemble the player he once was he will be better than any of the veterans we currently have on the team. So, then we are getting a bargain.

The board naysayers would have screamed if he had signed with another team and put Buffalo down as a place no one wanted to play for.

I still believe that there is a limited sense of loyalty amongst some players and this might be the case that he'd sign with Buddy before anyone else could even attempt to sign him.

There are greater concerns with this team than Merriman and if we cut Maybin then we will already have some of Merriman's potential salary recouped.

After listening to the interview what impressed me was the coat drive that he has been leading since college to help the homeless in the Washington DC area. His concern for people who were hurting truly came through.

And, when asked about Maybe he rather quickly talked about "Moats and the other guys" so not sure that was a big plus for Aaron.

Exactly. Aside from Willis "baby daddy baby daddy baby daddy baby daddy" McGahee, who was a total tard, there are a LOT of players who come to realize how many positive aspects there are to playing for the Bills. It's pretty rare that someone is just dying to get out of here. Even now, you have Poz saying how much he wants to say...Florence saying that he's hoping to stay...etc. TKO loved it here, Bledsoe loved it here (at first lol), TO has had a lot of positive things to say, the list goes on and on. And having lived in Western NY for over ten years myself, I understand exactly why they feel this way. Maybe downtown B-lo is a bit of a hole, but that general area is a beautiful part of the country and there are a lot of really good people there. On top of that, the Ralph is always rockin', and we're one of the most passionate and loyal fan bases in all of sports.

Good to see Merriman is enjoying the idea of sticking around :thumbsup:

Well said. I was impressed by what Merriman said, is planning to do, and is apt to follow through on.

the merriman interview is a-ight, but more i'm more intrigued by the content in segment 10 which, according to the accompanying summary, contains a "chick who banged an HVAC guy, more calls."

Great insight, Sully was bitching that the merriman signing ends all our FA activities since Ralph will say hey I am already paying a FA why do we need more. Its a low risk deal Bills are out 2.5M if they cut him and they will if he is not physically ready all thru off season drills etc.

Well said. I was impressed by what Merriman said, is planning to do, and is apt to follow through on.

Same here...it would be SO nice if Merriman was able to get healthy and productive again...would improve our defense immediately.

"now that he's been around the team,,,his perception of the organization has totally changed in a positive way." Yea, that and the 5 million+ he'll get from the Bills.

He'll make just $2.5M guaranteed from the Bills next year, with any additional money coming from incentives. Which is how it should be.

Yes, but did he mention when he might be getting back on the juice?

Hopefully soon. But this time with a better masking agent. ;)

He sounded sincere and like a decent guy not like the jerkoff party animal we've heard of. He didnt seem to have any issues w/living in WNY part of the year and already bought a house.....

He also had nice words about AJ Smith and the Chargers. I never heard the guy speak before so I was suprised by this interview.

I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I've been waiting to hear what he had to say in regards to why he resigned so it was nice to find a link. Thanks!

Now that's the most shocking news. I didn't think anyone would have much good to say about AJ these days. I think he may have on more year to go deep into playoff or both him and Turner will be gone. Sounds like he's the one GM with an ego bigger than most players.

He also had nice words about AJ Smith and the Chargers. I never heard the guy speak before so I was suprised by this interview.

when he was injured for a long term he was on nfl network as a sports commentator. he's actualy very eloquent. not surprised at all by this interview.

what i have mentioned a couple times around here is that the bills medical staff has had a chance to evaluate merriman since they claimed up a couple months back. they must actually believe he can get healthy and back to being a productive lb. could you imagine if we just signed him in the spring after a simple physical?