Mike Mularkey getting some looks...

Buftex

Cheeseburger Mike Mularkey appears to have some interviews lined up in Ohio and Colorado:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5988072

Also, it looks like Perry Fewell will interview for the Browns job as well...

Mularkey is a good coach and I wish we coulda hung onto him a little longer. Too bad he was smart enough to realize what a joke Donahue and Co. were and quit on them while his reputation was still intact.

I didn't have a problem with Mularkey but he just never seemed comfortable being the head guy....having to articulate his thoughts in press conferences. He is the prototypical behind the scenes guy and seems to enjoy being out of the limelight...or hotseat. Maybe he has changed...we'll see.

Cheeseburger Mike Mularkey appears to have some interviews lined up in Ohio and Colorado:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5988072

Fewell will interview to fulfil the Rooney rule. I think he's a good d-coordinator. The Bill's D certainly looked better last year than it did this year. Of course, anyhting looks better than this year.

Mularkey is a good coach and I wish we coulda hung onto him a little longer. Too bad he was smart enough to realize what a joke Donahue and Co. were and quit on them while his reputation was still intact.

:blink:

Token minority candidate? I have to believe Holmgren is going to bring someone in his familiar with. I haven't read it anywhere but I wonder if Holmgren could convince his old WR coach in Green Bay to leave the ESPN booth and man the sidelines again and be the next Browns HC. Or for those who don't know who I'm referring to let me say can anyone say Chucky III: Return of Jon Gruden.

Edited by The Jokeman

I agree, I think Mularkey might have turned into a good coach for us...but you do realize, he quit because Tom Donahoe was fired, and he was not sold on the new "Levy era"...if TD had stayed, Mularkey would have stayed.

anybody in that position should be better the second time around

but he. was. awful.

hell moobs was better than he was

Moobs had less talent to work with, overall...but, call me crazy, I think Mularkey was a better coach. I can also tell you, Mularkey was much more highly thought of than Williams, by most in the organization...the one thing, IMO, that killed Mularkey, he had Losman forced on him as his starter, by TD. He was not in favor of dumping Bledsoe, and going with Losman. I think he knew Bledsoe was on the decline, but he also knew, Losman was not ready to be a #1 guy in the NFL. TD really had to sell him on the idea...

LOL!! There isn't one word that is true there, including the one about Donahoe being there.

I'm with you there. He was only slightly better than DJ, and that ain't saying much. To steal a line from Band of Brothers, "Mularkey, isn't that slang for bull ****?"

He was.

I don't think Mularkey was ready to be a head coach at the time; he was just a hot young coach that Donahoe knew from Pittsburgh. MM wasn't sure which way he wanted to take the organization (Sam Wyche even mentioned once that MM asked him what he should be doing at times) and as a result MM was seemingly talked into going along with stupid decisions such as discarding Bledsoe to force Losman into the lineup before he was ready, firing some of the coaches on his staff when he was himself a lame duck and the front office was being blown up, etc. I give him credit for realizing quickly that his situation was being stacked for failure, though his walking away and allowing Ralph off the hook was unusual. Perhaps if he had called a spade a spade in that meeting, he would have delivered a wake up call as well as probably gotten his wish to leave.

I agree, I think Mularkey might have turned into a good coach for us...but you do realize, he quit because Tom Donahoe was fired, and he was not sold on the new "Levy era"...if TD had stayed, Mularkey would have stayed.

I always thought the reason Mularkey quit was that he thought Marv was bringing him back so that Marv could fire him in the middle of the next season & name himself coach. Marv only hired Jauron after Ralph was adamant that Marv had to find a coach other than himself after Mularkey quit.

Funny...it seems that the Broncos are paying attention to the Bills...Studesville (ex-Bills running backs coach) was their interim manager, and now, they are intereted in interviewing Mike Mularkey, Gregg Williams and Perry Fewell for their permanent HC job...

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2011/01/broncos-study-bills-coaching-tree.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29

Moobs had less talent to work with, overall...but, call me crazy, I think Mularkey was a better coach. I can also tell you, Mularkey was much more highly thought of than Williams, by most in the organization...the one thing, IMO, that killed Mularkey, he had Losman forced on him as his starter, by TD. He was not in favor of dumping Bledsoe, and going with Losman. I think he knew Bledsoe was on the decline, but he also knew, Losman was not ready to be a #1 guy in the NFL. TD really had to sell him on the idea...

Agreed. Recall also that when Moulds pulled his stunt in the infamous Miami meltdown, Mularkey wanted to suspend him for the rest of the year, but Ralph chopped his balls off by insisting that MM not sit him for more than a game. After the season, Ralph forced him to fire all of his assistants -- and, as a result, MM had trouble finding quality assistants willing to come. That's when he knew that the deck was stacked against him and resigned.

I always thought the reason Mularkey quit was that he thought Marv was bringing him back so that Marv could fire him in the middle of the next season & name himself coach. Marv only hired Jauron after Ralph was adamant that Marv had to find a coach other than himself after Mularkey quit.

I guess there is no way to know what was going through Marvs' head, and I am sure he would never admit to anything like that...but I think whatever notions Marv may have had about returning to the sidelines were nipped in the bud by Ralph Wilson, pretty much from day one, when Levy was announced as the GM. IIRC, Marv, at his introductary GM press conference, kind of danced around the issue of returnign to coaching...but then Ralph took the mic, and said, definitively, "Marv Levy is our new GM,and will not be our head coach."

From what I know of the situation, Mularkey felt a little "thrown under the bus" by the whole Bledsoe/Losman situation (he wanted to keep Bledsoe, or another vet (not Kelly Holcomb), around for another year, and was never comfortable handing the reigns of "his" team over to Losman, and he felt he wasn't ready, and I think MM was correct)...but he took the hit, as it was TD's will, and TD was the guy giving him his break as a HC. Then, when TD was fired, and the Bills made Levy the GM, Mularkey was kind of uncomfortable with the set up at 1 Bills Drive...and felt he was being doomed to more failure...he was right, I think. If you recall, when Levy was there, it was a very murkey front office set up.

I can tell you, Ralph liked Mike Mularkey, and Mularkey was very well liked by the Bills front office staff. I know that doesn't mean a lot in some ways, but there was a much greater sense of loss when Mularkey left, than when Gregg Willimas was fired.

Edited by Buftex

Funny...it seems that the Broncos are paying attention to the Bills...Studesville (ex-Bills running backs coach) was their interim manager, and now, they are intereted in interviewing Mike Mularkey, Gregg Williams and Perry Fewell for their permanent HC job...

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2011/01/broncos-study-bills-coaching-tree.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29

And they just named Elway GM, who, much like Levy, has no experience in running an NFL franchise.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

And they just named Elway GM, who, much like Levy, has no experience in running an NFL franchise.

True, but he does have some experience running a franchise, albeit in the Arena Legue. Keep in mind, when the Bills hired Bill Polian, his only GM experience was in the USFL. I guess we will know more about Elways' fitness as GM, if he interviews/hires Dick Jauron! :rolleyes:

Yeah: Success breeds more success, right? Ha! Good luck to 'em!

He quit on Marv when Donahue was fired. He thought Marv would come in and have too much say and his kid was getting picked on at school so his family wanted to move as well.