The hypocrisy of the NCAA

PS 56

For all of you as tired of the NCAA hypocrisy as I am, here is an excellent article. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-pryor010311

Colleges and Universities (and their coaches and administrators) makes millions a year on their football programs. Yet the players are supposed to be happy with their room and board scholarships. How many of these players actually graduate? How many make it into the NFL? What is actually wrong with a player making a few extra bucks? Its time to stop this nonsense. :wallbash:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of you as tired of the NCAA hypocrisy as I am, here is an excellent article. http://rivals.yahoo....=dw-pryor010311

Colleges and Universities (and their coaches and administrators) makes millions a year on their football programs. Yet the players are supposed to be happy with their room and board scholarships. How many of these players actually graduate? How many make it into the NFL? What is actually wrong with a player making a few extra bucks? Its time to stop this nonsense. :wallbash:

+1

They get paid.

Its called "tuition"

Yeah....Sure!!! They get plenty of time to pursue a course of study toward a meaningful degree that they can utilize after their eligibility is over. And of course they all belong in college as they are fine "student" athletes. <_<

Yet the players are supposed to be happy with their room and board scholarships. How many of these players actually graduate? How many make it into the NFL? What is actually wrong with a player making a few extra bucks?

I sure would've liked to have had a full ride... Instead I worked 30-50 hours a week while going to school fulltime. It's not the school's fault that some of the students don't care about their education, but don't say that they're not being offered anything useful.

Yeah....Sure!!! They get plenty of time to pursue a course of study toward a meaningful degree that they can utilize after their eligibility is over. And of course they all belong in college as they are fine "student" athletes. <_<

At the University of Minnesota, there were a couple of football players in my physics classes. Don't lump all of the athletes together as being dumb. They can do it if they want to.

Exactly, Fezmid.

I worked my ass off in college, carrying a full time gigs worth of working time, plus a full courseload, and Im STILL paying off my tuition and Im close to 40. And I didnt even go away to school.

The athelete full ride types, which is who we are talking about, get EVERYTHING for free, leave school without a DIME in loans, and while IN school, get treated like the President. President CLINTON, that is...with all the female ass in tow. No....I dont begrudge them...they were blessed with the physical size and skills to get those free rides. But regardless.... they get A TON more than most. At worst, they get a free education and room and board at an elite university. At best, they get the free ride AND a draft slot with a pro sports league. So spare me the "oh the poor college athlete" routine. They get plenty.

Edited by RkFast

I sure would've liked to have had a full ride... Instead I worked 30-50 hours a week while going to school fulltime. It's not the school's fault that some of the students don't care about their education, but don't say that they're not being offered anything useful.

At the University of Minnesota, there were a couple of football players in my physics classes. Don't lump all of the athletes together as being dumb. They can do it if they want to.

I'm not saying anything about anyone being dumb at all...there are always exceptions...but a lot of these kids would never be admitted to college were it not for their exceptional football skills. Many are there to be used up by a system that generates billions of dollars in revenue that goes into the pockets of institutions, administrators, ADs, coaches, networks, etc. Every blankin" body but the players!!!

The college football and basketball systems both are the PIMPS and the players are the whores!!!

A college education is the single most over priced thing in this country. So, of course, I'd rather see the colleges cut their tuition by 75% and price a college education were it should be priced.

you know someone recently told me that financial aid is responsible for this and I couldn't believe it...I guess I was uninformed...

..."an increase in need-based aid resulted in higher tuition and fees at both public and private institutions in the state. Public colleges also lowered their average institutional-aid awards, while there was no change at private colleges."

Link

For all of you as tired of the NCAA hypocrisy as I am, here is an excellent article. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-pryor010311

Rather than that, I'd rather see a league formed much like the Juniors in Hockey to develop young players. What's the point in pretending these players are qualified after college for anything other than football anyway. Take it out of the colleges and pay the developing players.

Don't take just some of the hypocrisy out, take all of it out.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Exactly, Fezmid.

I worked my ass off in college, carrying a full time gigs worth of working time, plus a full courseload, and Im STILL paying off my tuition and Im close to 40. And I didnt even go away to school.

The athelete full ride types, which is who we are talking about, get EVERYTHING for free, leave school without a DIME in loans, and while IN school, get treated like the President. President CLINTON, that is...with all the female ass in tow. No....I dont begrudge them...they were blessed with the physical size and skills to get those free rides. But regardless.... they get A TON more than most. At worst, they get a free education and room and board at an elite university. At best, they get the free ride AND a draft slot with a pro sports league. So spare me the "oh the poor college athlete" routine. They get plenty.

So what's the story with the great majority of college athletes after their eligibility is over? Do you know or even care for that matter? What in the college experience is preparing most of the ones who will not be professional athletes for the rest of their lives? Isn't that what colleges are supposed to be doing???

People always concentrate on the very small minority that "make it" and ignore the ones who are left behind and only get to relive their few short glory years in college. SMH!!!

Yes they are given a huge amount of money in the form of tuition. But it does seem kind of crazy to bring these kids in, many who have no money to their name, give them free tuition, but you want to go home for Christmas, and you can't afford the plane ticket,; Oh well too bad, you're on your own. They have free meals at the training table, but you want to go to the movies on the weekend or to a party, again you're on your own. They are not allowed to work so hard for them even to make money. Well they could sell their game tickets, but not allowed to do that either.

Personally I think they should be paid the same hourly wage as anyone on work study gets paid for every hour of practice time they put in. I believe they are limited ot 15 hours per week by NCAA rules, so give them 15 hours of pay for that. Spring practice again, pay them for their time. If you ask most kids, they'd rather not practice, but the coaches require it. The more they practice, the better the team plays, potentially giving the school more money. So pay the kids for their time practicing.

Ask Reggie Bush if all he got was room and board and a scholarship.

So what's the story with the great majority of college athletes after their eligibility is over? Do you know or even care for that matter? What in the college experience is preparing most of the ones who will not be professional athletes for the rest of their lives? Isn't that what colleges are supposed to be doing???

People always concentrate on the very small minority that "make it" and ignore the ones who are left behind and only get to relive their few short glory years in college. SMH!!!

The "quality" of the education they are getting is a very different (and very real) issue from the idea that these kids "dont get any benefit."

Yes they are given a huge amount of money in the form of tuition. But it does seem kind of crazy to bring these kids in, many who have no money to their name, give them free tuition, but you want to go home for Christmas, and you can't afford the plane ticket,; Oh well too bad, you're on your own. They have free meals at the training table, but you want to go to the movies on the weekend or to a party, again you're on your own. They are not allowed to work so hard for them even to make money. Well they could sell their game tickets, but not allowed to do that either.

Personally I think they should be paid the same hourly wage as anyone on work study gets paid for every hour of practice time they put in. I believe they are limited ot 15 hours per week by NCAA rules, so give them 15 hours of pay for that. Spring practice again, pay them for their time. If you ask most kids, they'd rather not practice, but the coaches require it. The more they practice, the better the team plays, potentially giving the school more money. So pay the kids for their time practicing.

Some kind of small stipend is a good solution to the problems you describe.

I agree that ADs' and coaches' salaries are out of control. Normally I would say it's a free market, but these are tax dollars and kids' tuitions that are going to this. Someone has to stop this nonsense. What does an athlete get out all this? They get a free college education and sometimes even admission over others with similar SAT scores. If they don't treat that education as an opportunity, how are we to get too worked up? Now if coaches are lying to them about their chances, that needs to be addressed. At the school where I teach, that scholarship would be worth over 100,000 for 4 years. That's more than I made in my early 20s.

Great - pay them for working 15 hours a week and make them pay for their own tuition, room, and board then.

I can't believe that people here think that getting $20k+/year or more for playing college ball is "so unfair" and that the NCAA is screwing them over.

Exactly, Fezmid.

And the university rakes in the $$$ while still charging tuition that takes 20 years to pay off.

Great - pay them for working 15 hours a week and make them pay for their own tuition, room, and board then.

I can't believe that people here think that getting $20k+/year or more for playing college ball is "so unfair" and that the NCAA is screwing them over.

I'm sorry, but did hundreds of thousands of people line up for days in frigid cold and pay $100 to watch you program code when you were in college?

NCAA is lucky that SCOTUS ruled against Clarett, but it's just a matter of time until another player challenges the college athletes' exploitation and the whole thing comes crashing down. The colleges & NFL are getting a free ride out of this, all in the name of nonsensical amateur designation. At least the Olympics owned up to its farce.

And the university rakes in the $ while still charging tuition that takes 20 years to pay off.

And your point is....?

Either tuition is worth it or not. Nobody's forcing anybody to go to college, and you can get some cheap local colleges. If you choose to go to an expensive school, it must be because you thought it was worth the extra cost - and thus if it takes you 20 years to pay it off, you made that choice. Right?

And your point is....?

My point Fezmid (pointed to another poster who lamented the fact that he, as I, worked multiple jobs to make it through, and he's still working on paying off his loans)is that those atheletes are making money for the school (I certainly did not, and I'll assume you didn't either). They $give$ back more than they receive. Yet the NCAA is set up to watch every phone call, text message, burger purchased to make sure that THE STUDENT ATHELETE is following the rules while college coaches & administrators are signing fat contracts with every manner of 3rd party to pad their wallets even more than their outrageous salaries already have.

The NCAA and by extension the individual conferences and universities/colleges are hypocritical in how they deal with atheletes. You and others point to the 'value of an education' and think that is all they 'deserve'. Meanwhile tickets are sold, merchandise is sold in amounts that far outweigh the 'value of an education'.

I don't have a problem with you thinking that an education is all that a scholarship athelete 'deserves' (because really what do any of us deserve). I don't agree with that, I feel that those athletes are due more than the 'value of an education'. But I do have a problem with you or anyone else by extension defending the NCAA and the conferences and the schools. If you don't see what they are engaged in as hypocrisy (which is the point of the thread) then you do not see the situation for what it is (IMO).