read this and weep

No weeping here. Bledsoe was the one literally weeping after that game. I think it was the worst game he ever played. If they couldn't beat the Steelers 3rd string then they had no business being in the playoffs anyways. But man, that was a defense. I sure wish they had that defense a few years earlier.

DVOA

Created by Aaron Schatz, the original Football Outsiders statistic is known as DVOA, which is an acronym for Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. The statistic measures the success of a given play compared to the league-average level of success for that play given the situation at the time (score, time remaining, down and distance to go, location on the field, caliber of opponent, and so on).

Okay, I am sick and tired of of this "all they had to do was win at Pittsburgh and they were in" BS. That was not the case, plain and simple.

The Jets also needed to lose to the Rams..which they did. They finished at 10-6 even with a loss that day, and the Bills would get to 10-6 with a win. Bills has the tiebreak.

However, I was watching both games that day via Tivo, and the Bills game ended way before the Jets game..I want to say the Jets- Rams game was only half way through the 4th qtr when the final Bills score came across the board in St Louis, and the Jets started celebrating on sidelines as they knew they were in. It was a close game, but Herm started making some calls from there on in that he would not have made had he needed the win to make the playoffs. I do not remember 100% what they were, but the outcome of that game might have been different had the Bills game not ended before the Jets game.

This in no way excuses the Bills play that day, but to say all they had to do was win and they were in is just not correct.

Okay, I am sick and tired of of this "all they had to do was win at Pittsburgh and they were in" BS. That was not the case, plain and simple.

The Jets also needed to lose to the Rams..which they did. They finished at 10-6 even with a loss that day, and the Bills would get to 10-6 with a win. Bills has the tiebreak.

However, I was watching both games that day via Tivo, and the Bills game ended way before the Jets game..I want to say the Jets- Rams game was only half way through the 4th qtr when the final Bills score came across the board in St Louis, and the Jets started celebrating on sidelines as they knew they were in. It was a close game, but Herm started making some calls from there on in that he would not have made had he needed the win to make the playoffs. I do not remember 100% what they were, but the outcome of that game might have been different had the Bills game not ended before the Jets game.

This in no way excuses the Bills play that day, but to say all they had to do was win and they were in is just not correct.

You are absolutely correct. I watched the end of that game too. The biggest thing the Jets did was not kick a long-ish FG in OT because it didn't matter whether they won or lost. They went for it and failed. It wasn't the easiest of kicks, but it was makeable and in a dome. They would have kicked if they had to win.

You are absolutely correct. I watched the end of that game too. The biggest thing the Jets did was not kick a long-ish FG in OT because it didn't matter whether they won or lost. They went for it and failed. It wasn't the easiest of kicks, but it was makeable and in a dome. They would have kicked if they had to win.

Thats right..thanks for bringing that up.

The Bills never fail to disappoint. :(

Or never stop? Six years later, and we are still disappointed by the Steelers loss...

What I will always remember most about that Bills/Steelers game, was that I watched it with one of my best friends, someone I knew, only because he was a fellow displaced Bills fan in Texas...he died the next morning. I seriously always wondered what might have been different if the Bills had won that damn game...silly I know. When he was buried, his family (not Bills fans, but well aware of his passion for the team) decided to have a Bills themed burial for him...he was buried in an away Bledsoe jersey...how appropriate! Bledsoe, in some ways, may have killed him... :cry:

Or never stop? Six years later, and we are still disappointed by the Steelers loss...

What I will always remember most about that Bills/Steelers game, was that I watched it with one of my best friends, someone I knew, only because he was a fellow displaced Bills fan in Texas...he died the next morning. I seriously always wondered what might have been different if the Bills had won that damn game...silly I know. When he was buried, his family (not Bills fans, but well aware of his passion for the team) decided to have a Bills themed burial for him...he was buried in an away Bledsoe jersey...how appropriate! Bledsoe, in some ways, may have killed him... :cry:

Was that Ed?

Because Willie Parker was unknown doesn't mean he stunk actually he was pretty good as it turned out

Exactly. Plus, Pittsburgh kept their starting OL in most of the game. Notice the article also mentions an unknown guy named James Harrison..

They were pretty stacked.

Exactly. Plus, Pittsburgh kept their starting OL in most of the game. Notice the article also mentions an unknown guy named James Harrison..

They were pretty stacked.

All that is true...but the Bills, especially Drew (who I like) really came up small that day.

All that is true...but the Bills, especially Drew (who I like) really came up small that day.

Agreed, they didn't step it up like they should have -- but they weren't playing against "3rd stringers" either like people like to say.

Generally true... but. After Nate's pick-6 made it 17-16 Bills, Drew led the offense on a long, time-consuming drive. The Steelers were on the way to bus running... but the drive stalled, and Lindell missed a chip shot FG (this led to a high point in the "Lindell sucks... TD refuses to let him go because he is an egomaniac" meme on TBD). The very first play after the miss, which was hugely deflating, Wille Parker breaks a long run that leads to a Stillers FG. Instead of 20-16, it is now 19-17 Stillers. Then comes the Bledsoe sack fumble (the play that essentially ended any chance that he would be back in 2005) and the rest is history.

It all hinged on 2 consecutive plays. So narrow is the margin between victory and defeat in the NFL.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)