If Cam Newton is there at 3

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of the top QBs are in the Manning/Brady mold and Newton is not that. Newton is a risk but the upside is collosal.

I will leave that pick to the experts but I think Fairley is a beast on the DL and could see him contributing right away and being an impact player down the road.

I think I'll take the next Brady or Manning, thank you. His name is Andrew Luck. Newton = Vince Young. Lots of flash and attitude, no rings.

Luck will be gone so Cam it is

Carolina is in major rebuild mode. If we give them our 1 and 2 this year and our 1 next year, they may bite. Depends on what they see in Clausen. If they see something, we may have a deal. Hell, give them Evans as well. Think man, We need to compete with the Pats and the Jets. We need a top 10 QB in the league. Fitz will never be that. Newton = Vince Young and has only played one year of real football and played on a great team. No thanks.

Newton is a one year wonder - I would be hesitant to take him with the #3.

I agree Newton had a wonderfull year! How do you feel about Fairley? Last year he has 3 stops behind the line and this year he had 20. Is he a one year wonder too? I understand the one year wonder concept what I don't understand is the label applied to a player who had a turly exceptional year. Newton is the most dominant player in college football in a decade. There is nothing one year about that kind of talent. I am looking forward to the championship game, his interviews and the combine. There are some questions about his character. There are no questions about his leadership. There are no questions about his throwing motion, accruacy, or arm strength.

Does anyone really have any belief that the Bills will attempt to trade down, when they sent their picks up to the podium in record breaking time last year? :oops: Spiller and other early picks would have been there when the clock ticked down to zero, but Nix seemed to think he was competing with several other teams at the exact same time.

Bring on the Whaley era. The sooner the better.

Nix is a BPA guy. When his turn to draft comes, he just takes the guy from the top of the list. Actually not a bad approach. Drafting for need instead of Best Player Available is what got us Losman and McCargo, among others.

agree, you have to take a QB. Either Newton or Luck would be fine.

No, NO, NO!!! No to Cam Newton. The guy has too many character issues. You only draft Luck if and that's a big IF, he declares for the draft otherwise, you draft big men with the #3 overall pick. Fairley sounds like a good option to me, if he's there at 3.

If Luck does not declare, Carolina will go defense. The organization is very conservative. Mr. Richardson likes his teams to have a tough defense and run the ball. Since I don't see another offensive player worth the #1 overall pick I say they try to replace what they lost when Peppers left.

Only one year of experience in a major college program.

Off the field issues.

Can he adjust to the speed of the NFL?

Can he read defenses and go through progressions?

This kid is a project at QB so I would be pretty devastated if we did take him at 3. We have so many holes that we need to fill and there's absolutely no reason why we can't take a need like Dareus at 3 and pick up a guy like Gabbert or Locker in round 2. Guys like Newton and Mallett have too many character concerns for my liking.

Would you consider taking a QB with this college resume?

Statistics Passing Rushing

YEAR CMP ATT CMP% YDS TD INT ATT YDS TD

xxxx 90 153 58.8 1840 12 5 110 580 8

xxxx 97 179 54.2 1439 9 7 113 636 9

Any idea who this is?

I think the big question is whether Carolina takes Mallett after Luck announces he's staying at Stanford for his senior year (it almost makes me hope Luck does enter the draft, just to make sure we get Mallett).

You would root for something in the Bills best interests and be wrong in the process?

Would you consider taking a QB with this college resume?

Statistics Passing Rushing

YEAR CMP ATT CMP% YDS TD INT ATT YDS TD

xxxx 90 153 58.8 1840 12 5 110 580 8

xxxx 97 179 54.2 1439 9 7 113 636 9

Any idea who this is?

NO WAY! Mike Vick is soooo overrated. He is having a decent year only because Andy Reid has been able to work wonders with him. As for his career pre jail, he was very pedestrian.

I have serious doubts about Newton being a servicable NFL QB.

The only QB the Bills should draft at #3 is Luck, noone else.

Edited by FreakPop

NO WAY! Mike Vick is soooo overrated. He is having a decent year only because Andy Reid has been able to work wonders with him. As for his career pre jail, he was very pedestrian.

I have serious doubts about Newton being a servicable NFL QB.

The only QB the Bills should draft at #3 is Luck, noone else.

+1. Although Vick's comeback is certainly quite a story. People are not giving enough credit to Andy Reid and to a very stacked offense in Philly. What would happen if Vick was on another team that was not quite as talented or decently coached? And yes , Vick's QB numbers in Atlanta were not very good. He looked more like a running back then.

Cam Newton's raw talent absolutely warrants a top 10 draft pick. There has probably never been a player at QB with his blend of size and speed.

Obviously he needs a lot of work and experience in running a pro-style offense but I can get behind picking him at #3 for a few reasons

(1) We have a coach in Gailey who is creative enough offensively to maximize Newton's talents. Clearly an offense designed for Cam Newton is going to be different from an offense designed for Peyton Manning.

(2) Newton almost certainly will be durable due to his sheer size. There's going to be a huge learning curve for Newton but he should be able to be out on the field week after week to take his lumps and gain experience. Unlike Matthew Stafford, for example.

(3) He really does have a winning personality and should become a leader that the team can rally around. He'll make players around him better. Auburn has reaped the benefits of this

I'm far from convinced he's going to be a good NFL QB. In fact, he will probably fail. But you have to take chances in this league to get your QB position settled. Newton has the kind of raw talent and personality that I can support taking a chance on. Because if things click into place, he will be a weapon that nobody in the NFL has. He'll see over the line better and be more durable than Vick, and he has a better release and arm strength than Vince Young. An unprecedented talent.

Obviously he needs a lot of work and experience in running a pro-style offense but I can get behind picking him at #3 for a few reasons

I'm far from convinced he's going to be a good NFL QB. In fact, he will probably fail.

Does not compute..

Does not compute..

The idea is simple. You have to take a chance at the QB position because in this league you are treading water until you find one. It's better to take a chance and lose than to be out of the game altogether. You have to be in it to win it.

Newton has the kind of freak talent that I'm willing to take a chance on.

We don't have a QB problem. We have an average QB. We have a problem stopping the run. Lets start there.

Bottom third isn't average. Also, bottom third doesn't win championships. We do want to win a championship right? Or are we just going to be happy again rebuilding back to 7-9? I forget.

If you think Cam Newton will fail in the NFL or wont be able to adjust to playing at the NFL level and that Luck/Mallet is ANY less of of gamble. Its obvious to me you don't watch college football. If anyone wants to name the other football players who are 6'6" 250 with a rocket arm and runs 4.5 40? go ahead.

Vince Young

VY is one of my favorite college players of all time and is a big reason why I became a Horns fan. sure is only 6'5'' and 240 but I don’t think that 1 inch and 10 lbs are keeping him from being a superstar QB. Its what I upstairs that matters with QBs and as long as your athletic ability is at a minimum threshold you will succeed. Cam has all the physical ability in the world but he has shown immaturity, lacks starting experience, and no fan has any clue what he has upstairs because we haven’t dissected film of him.

He may be Roethisburger but he may be VY. Judging on their college careers (and not their race) Id say he has more of a chance to be VY.

Bottom third isn't average. Also, bottom third doesn't win championships. We do want to win a championship right? Or are we just going to be happy again rebuilding back to 7-9? I forget.

Of course we want championships. People advocating DL are just smart enough to realize that winning championships isn't going to occur until this team hits on 2-3 drafts and rebuilds along the DL. They also realize that a project like Cam Newton does not transform the Bills overnight into a winner and that any QBs success will hinge on protection (OL help) and more offensive snaps (a result of stopping the run and getting off the field), hence the reason why upgrading the lines are most important.

Of course we want championships. People advocating DL are just smart enough to realize that winning championships isn't going to occur until this team hits on 2-3 drafts and rebuilds along the DL. They also realize that a project like Cam Newton does not transform the Bills overnight into a winner and that any QBs success will hinge on protection (OL help) and more offensive snaps (a result of stopping the run and getting off the field), hence the reason why upgrading the lines are most important.

Then you should be smart enough to realize that it's not that simple. Let's say we could add a great QB. He would make the offense more productive. Which would result in more first downs, more time of possession and more points. This would result in less time of possession for the opposing team and less time for them to rack up yards and points. Assuming we could score more points and play with a lead, the opposing team would have to pass the ball, thereby improving our run D and allowing more opportunities for Turnovers.

Fitz is mediocre and he turns the ball over too much. Give the Bills a better QB with better accuracy and who does not turn the ball over and the Bills defensive stats would improve.

It is all interconnected. Improving the defense and keeping Fitz will not improve the Bills significantly. They need to find a QB. I am in favor of taking a shot with Mallet or Newton at 3 and developing them into our franchise QB. We can address the D-line, LB and OT later in the draft and in Free agency. The one thing that is never available in free agency is a franchise QB. Lets take a shot with Mallett or Newton and hope they are that guy. There is no guarantee that whatever saviour DE you draft at #3 will be the next Bruce Smith anyway.

Fitz was 10th in attempts per game but was only the 24th most sacked QB. The guy had time to throw and threw a lot. He just isn't that good.

Yes we need to overhaul the lines on both sides. But lets not pretend Fitz is the savior only being held back by bad Oline play. Brady was only sacked ONE more time than Fitz (yea i know he played three more games).

Other QBs play with bad lines, Rodgers gets killed in GB, 80 sacks in two years but still manages to win games.

I dont think we take a QB at #3 but too many people are making the point that this team just needs to fix its lines and playoffs here we come. I dont think that is the case