The Offseason I Want To See

H2o

Re-Signings:

Parrish, Puz (if reasonable and willing to do whatever the team asks, maybe switch LB spots), Whitner (if reasonable), Wilson, and Florence.

Free Agency:

Everyone says "no one wants to come Buffalo" and "no big names will come here", but there are a couple that I hold out hope that our organization pursues with all we got if they are available. Even if that means having to spend a little more. Winning teams fill the stands and sell mercahndise, plain and simple. Here we go:

David Harris - Throw him about $5 million more in guaranteed money than Dansby got last offseason. Hopefully that would get it done.

Lamar Woodley - Pay Woodley like Pitt paid Harrison, maybe a little more, with more in guaranteed $. Pitt can't splurge on everyone.

Shawn Merriman - See if you can get him relatively cheap on say a 3-year deal. Coming off injuries, but worth a shot.

Bo Scaife - Slowly being phased out for Jared Cook in Tenn. he may welcome the fresh start here and would be better than what we have.

If all of what I have listed would take place it would have our starting LB's as Merriman, Puz, Harris, and Woodley. That would be excellent considering Moats has shown promise and could slide in for Merriman if he can't return to form. Scaife would give us a solid NFL caliber TE that can block and catch a football. Lee Evans would likely either become a "cap casualty" or get moved for what we could get hopefully. I like Evans and respect him as a player, but would much rather spend the money on the players I have listed.

2011 Draft:

Assuming we stay in the same position as right now,

1. Nick Fairley / DE-DT / Auburn

2. Nate Solder / OT / Colorado

3. Devier Posey / WR / Ohio St.

4a. Jalil Brown / CB / Colorado

4b. Kelvin Sheppard / LB / LSU

5. Cliff Matthews / LB / South Carolina

6. Steve Schilling / OG / Michigan

7. Lee Ziemba / OT / Auburn

Fairley is the immediate impact player that this defense needs. Solder would come in and be a day 1 starter at the RT position. Posey would be an interesting WR to throw in along with the rest of the young guys we have. The LB's would be set. Jalil Brown is an interesting CB prospect that could end up being a steal. More depth for the OL.

All in all, if these things took place this offseason we would be a playoff team next year without a doubt IMO.

Edited by H2o

The biggest flaw in your plan is getting rid of Lee Evans and wasting a draft pick on a Wide Receiver in the 3rd round.

Lee actually isn't very expensive. His contract was front loaded which means he only counts for a certain amount against our cap (if there even is one next year). I think the number is $4 million a season for these last 2 years? Not 100% sure but that's something I've heard repeated a few times.

I love your free agent acquisitions and first 2 draft picks but the 3rd rounder cannot be wasted on a position where we are actually okay. Don't forget how much faith they have in Easley. We have too many guys at that position right now, especially if Parrish is coming back.

Re-Signings:

Parrish, Puz (if reasonable and willing to do whatever the team asks, maybe switch LB spots), Whitner (if reasonable), Wilson, and Florence.

Free Agency:

Everyone says "no one wants to come Buffalo" and "no big names will come here", but there are a couple that I hold out hope that our organization pursues with all we got if they are available. Even if that means having to spend a little more. Winning teams fill the stands and sell mercahndise, plain and simple. Here we go:

David Harris - Throw him about $5 million more in guaranteed money than Dansby got last offseason. Hopefully that would get it done.

Lamar Woodley - Pay Woodley like Pitt paid Harrison, maybe a little more, with more in guaranteed $. Pitt can't splurge on everyone.

Shawn Merriman - See if you can get him relatively cheap on say a 3-year deal. Coming off injuries, but worth a shot.

Bo Scaife - Slowly being phased out for Jared Cook in Tenn. he may welcome the fresh start here and would be better than what we have.

If all of what I have listed would take place it would have our starting LB's as Merriman, Puz, Harris, and Woodley. That would be excellent considering Moats has shown promise and could slide in for Merriman if he can't return to form. Scaife would give us a solid NFL caliber TE that can block and catch a football. Lee Evans would likely either become a "cap casualty" or get moved for what we could get hopefully. I like Evans and respect him as a player, but would much rather spend the money on the players I have listed.

2011 Draft:

Fairley is the immediate impact player that this defense needs. Solder would come in and be a day 1 starter at the RT position. Posey would be an interesting WR to throw in along with the rest of the young guys we have. The LB's would be set. Jalil Brown is an interesting CB prospect that could end up being a steal. More depth for the OL.

All in all, if these things took place this offseason we would be a playoff team next year without a doubt IMO.

Don't like picking a WR in the third round. We are very deep at WR and there should be someone better at a needed position like LB or DL available in the third round.

People have to be realistic with their free agent expectations. Last year our "haul" was Andra Davis and Dwan Edwards.

I was taking into account that if we could get either Harris or Woodley quick that one may also help us get the other as they were once Michigan teammates. :thumbsup:

People have to be realistic with their free agent expectations. Last year our "haul" was Andra Davis and Dwan Edwards.

I imagine we can do somewhat better in FA this yr, since we've shown a little potential this yr. Note I do say "somewhat better". but i think we look slightly more attractive now than recent past.

1st round, Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson. Cornerstone of Defense

2nd round Jake Locker QB Washington. Jack Kemp, Joe Ferguson, Jim Kelly now Jake.

3rd round Jeremy Beal OLB, Oklahoma. Can get a pass rush please!!!

4th round Casey Matthews ILB, Oregon. 3-4 linsbackers are needed.

4th round part two. Chris Hairston OT, Clemson. Blocked for CJ before.

5th Round Davonte Shannon SS Buffalo. Hometowner to take Whitners spot.

6th Round Zach Pianalto TE, North Carolina. This guy has a TE name.

7th Round Cliff Matthews OLB, South Carolina Can get a pass rush please part two!

Outside of dansby and maybe a handful of players -- Edwards was considered one of the better D FAs to be had. His concerns were medical not skill.

Nix has been very public about being a GM who doesn't use UFA much. Last year's signings were to help transition to a 34 and replace a suddenly retired Brad Butler. These weren't huge contracts at all. When there's a CBA to provide a UFA period, I still see no reason this team spends a lot of money on guys like David Harris and LaMarr Woodley who will command huge salaries if they become available at all.

It's been 4 year since the Dockery/Walker signings, so it seems like they've removed themselves, even before Nix' arrival, from the top UFA game. And after 11 seasons of non-playoff football, one has to wonder why.

Edited by BillsVet

Re-Signings:

Free Agency:

2011 Draft:

I saw yesterday on SC that the five players had to commit to returning for next year if they wanted to make the trip to the bowl game. That means Posey will not be available. This is my revised draft if that is the case:

3. Sam Acho / DE-LB / Texas

I'm beginning to think the Bills will go after Jake Locker in the first round. After reading the write-up on him from Buffalorumblings, and hearing some other scouts and NFL people talk about him, it seems he has been playing hurt this year, decided to finish school (probably a plus for Nix) when he could've been the #1 pick, potentially. Also, his recievers have dropped a ton of his well placed passes, masking his completion percentage this year, and he's been in a pro system for two years. Add to that he is very mobile, has a great arm, and I think all those factors will move Gailey towards seeing his perfect QB to mold for this franchise.

Otherwise, AJ Green - I know, we don't need a reciever that high - but, I think when the Bills took Spiller last year they were doing so with the intention of taking the first piece in a Super Bowl trio of RB, QB, and WR. They will look to create that offensive mold, like Dallas had, like Buffalo had...

If Locker is much better than he's looked this year, and if Gailey can coach him up further, then I'd be happy with it. I wouldn't like the Green pick. If it isn't Locker or Luck in 1, then I'd like to see Bowers or Fairley.

Puz (if reasonable and willing to do whatever the team asks, maybe switch LB spots

What position would he better at? The learning curve he'd have and the weight he'd have to take over to shift over on the inside would be rough. He's already a little on the slower side.

Nix has been very public about being a GM who doesn't use UFA much. Last year's signings were to help transition to a 34 and replace a suddenly retired Brad Butler. These weren't huge contracts at all. When there's a CBA to provide a UFA period, I still see no reason this team spends a lot of money on guys like David Harris and LaMarr Woodley who will command huge salaries if they become available at all.

It's been 4 year since the Dockery/Walker signings, so it seems like they've removed themselves, even before Nix' arrival, from the top UFA game. And after 11 seasons of non-playoff football, one has to wonder why.

We have so many holes that if we don't sign FAs mixed with pix we will never be any good.