Draft pick may be a battle between Nix and Gailey

Madd Charlie

Spiller filled no need that I can see.

I agree with that. At the time that was really the only position on offense that we didn't need a player. I think back to when right before the draft last year Gailey started t talk abut how he wanted a "water bug" on offense although we had obvious needs everywhere on both sides of the ball. Thats really what leads me to believe that Gailey has a lot of influence over the draft. Like it or not going int next season our offense is our strength, especially after the left tackle position is filled. Does Gailey take just one pick, although it is the first pick and take that last piece to what could be a playoff caliber offense? Even if we used our first two picks on lets say AJ Green and Costanzo, and the rest or free agency to address de, lb, cb, qb and ss aren't we all pretty happy at that point?

Edited by Dayzofglory

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats really what leads me t beleive that Gailey has a lot of influence over the draft.

I would guess every HC that is worth a damn has a lot of influence over the draft. If a GM didn't seriously consider the HC's opinion either the GM is a moron, or the HC isn't long for the job.

May I suggest glasses?

No, seriously, I think Chan wants a multi-purpose weapon on offense. Fred is a nice back, but he isn't a home-run threat nor is he a long ball receiving threat. While CJ hasn't shown what many thought he could do, he can do things Fred simply isn't able to do. Fred is also 30. If Chan is looking at building a team that will be successful for years, it's easy to see what role Spiller fills, IMO.

To see the need you have to see it through the FO's eyes AND you have to look past the next year or two.

I understand what they wanted: A viable 3rd down back.

Spiller isn't big enough to be an every down guy, they certainly didn't use him much. He had 70 rushing attempts and 24 receptions. I'm not saying it was a bad pick, I kind of liked the idea, but I just don't see that as having been a need of

any sort given the other huge holes they had on this team, and switching to the 3-4 and the O-line issues.

I agree with that. At the time that was really the only position on offense that we didn't need a player. I think back to when right before the draft last year Gailey started t talk abut how he wanted a "water bug" on offense although we had obvious needs everywhere on both sides of the ball. Thats really what leads me to believe that Gailey has a lot of influence over the draft. Like it or not going int next season our offense is our strength, especially after the left tackle position is filled. Does Gailey take just one pick, although it is the first pick and take that last piece to what could be a playoff caliber offense? Even if we used our first two picks on lets say AJ Green and Costanzo, and the rest or free agency to address de, lb, cb, qb and ss aren't we all pretty happy at that point?

Yeah, sure, if that's how it worked out. The Bills never bring in anyone in FA that's very good, and struggle to draft

players every year. So those positions may take them 2 years to fill, IMO.

I understand what they wanted: A viable 3rd down back.

That's simply ridiculous.

Spiller isn't big enough to be an every down guy, they certainly didn't use him much. He had 70 rushing attempts and 24 receptions. I'm not saying it was a bad pick, I kind of liked the idea, but I just don't see that as having been a need of

any sort given the other huge holes they had on this team, and switching to the 3-4 and the O-line issues.

How they used him THIS year, and what they have in mind for him are two different things. Chan has said as much. You might want to try to think a bit further ahead than one (rookie) year.

As for his size, he is almost exactly the same size as Chris Johnson.

He's also the same size as one of my fvorite RBs in the league, 1000-yd rusher LeSean McCoy.

That's simply ridiculous.

How they used him THIS year, and what they have in mind for him are two different things. Chan has said as much. You might want to try to think a bit further ahead than one (rookie) year.

Oh, OK. So they drafted him with the plan to unleash him on the NFL NEXT year. Well, he better have like 2000 yards from

scrimmge or the Bills are in trouble.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. We're going to have to disagree.

Oh, OK. So they drafted him with the plan to unleash him on the NFL NEXT year. Well, he better have like 2000 yards from

scrimmge or the Bills are in trouble.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. We're going to have to disagree.

I'm glad ur not running the team, man, cause you probably would discard any rookie who didn't produce in his first year. Chan has said multiple times that while CJ has all the talent in the world, he just hasn't hit stride with his learning curve yet. Some rookies take a little time to adjust to the NFL before they become playmakers. We already had Freddie and Marshawn when we drafted the kid, so as Dean pointed out, it obviously wasn't some immediate need to give him 200 carries his first year...he'll come along and he'll blossom in years to come with the proper guidance from Gailey and co. CJ got his feet wet this year, so now he'll grow in the offseason and hit camp next year with a bigger role, most likely. He'll be fine man, just have some patience and let Chan do his thing.

May I suggest glasses?

No, seriously, I think Chan wants a multi-purpose weapon on offense. Fred is a nice back, but he isn't a home-run threat nor is he a long ball receiving threat. While CJ hasn't shown what many thought he could do, he can do things Fred simply isn't able to do. Fred is also 30. If Chan is looking at building a team that will be successful for years, it's easy to see what role Spiller fills, IMO.

To see the need you have to see it through the FO's eyes AND you have to look past the next year or two.

I think fans get short sighted and it is not all that hard to do in a down year. The first thing I thought when we drafted Spiller was "Uh huh......and this is going to help us HOW exactly this year?" and in the end the answer to that question was.....HE WASNT....Spiller was a pick for next years offense.....they seem to be finding new ways to use him as time goes on and with another offseason and training camp I expect Spiller to be much better utilized. We as fans are just so frustrated on lack of wins that any pick that does not help immediately is a bad pick. Then you couple that with the travesty that was Aaron Maybin and there you have it.

My guess is that it comes down to a battle between Nix and Gailey. Gailey will ask for more offensive weapons and want to take AJ Green and Nix and his assistant from Pittsburgh will want to follow the Pittsburgh model and strengthen the defensive line and linebackers and take Bowers from Clemson. Looks like Gailey won last year with Spiller and the jury is still out on that pick so expect Nix and company to win this year.Da'Quan Bowers is the pick second option Nick Fairley. We came into this season seriously expecting to be the best pass defense in the league so corner most likely wont be the pick. Pass rush will make those guys much better.

Pretty weak assumption there, eh Sport? Jeez.....

If it really is a battle between two diametrically opposed views and one significant "side" wins while the other loses then the Bills likely do not get better without regard to which "side " wins.

In a better world all of these folks in charge operate as adults and the team is truly must be a TEAM of we are gonna do better.

Dynamics and even adult disagreements are certain to happen, but the problem with the Bills has been it has been too much of a zero sum game, The Bills cannot afford disagreement which leaves half the team leadership and the fan base unhappy because they lost a disagreement,

The more I read about and watch Bowers, the more I want this kid lining up for our defense. The guy is a frickin monster! As much as I love it when we have a productive offense, I like it even more when we have a stout, dominating defense.

FINALLY, someone gets it!!! Haven't seen to many here wanting him...He'd be my #1 pick!!!

I think fans get short sighted and it is not all that hard to do in a down year. The first thing I thought when we drafted Spiller was "Uh huh......and this is going to help us HOW exactly this year?" and in the end the answer to that question was.....HE WASNT....Spiller was a pick for next years offense.....they seem to be finding new ways to use him as time goes on and with another offseason and training camp I expect Spiller to be much better utilized. We as fans are just so frustrated on lack of wins that any pick that does not help immediately is a bad pick. Then you couple that with the travesty that was Aaron Maybin and there you have it.

I don't buy that logic. There is simply no way that Nix was looking at Spiller up to and on draft day with the plan to draft him for "next year's offense". How does that make sense? What is "next year's offense"? What's going to be the big change? Is it a secret--so secret that the league can't get but the tiniest peak at Spiller's electricity?

Many teams are running a two back ground game--except the Bills, despite drafting the "best player available" in the top 10 of the first round of the draft.

This sounds like a weak rationalization as to why Gailey simply cannot find any place for this kid in the offense. Nobody drafts a RB in the first round---for use at a later date.

If it really is a battle between two diametrically opposed views and one significant "side" wins while the other loses then the Bills likely do not get better without regard to which "side " wins.

In a better world all of these folks in charge operate as adults and the team is truly must be a TEAM of we are gonna do better.

Dynamics and even adult disagreements are certain to happen, but the problem with the Bills has been it has been too much of a zero sum game, The Bills cannot afford disagreement which leaves half the team leadership and the fan base unhappy because they lost a disagreement,

Im not suggesting that there is a civil war going on at 1 Bills Drive but I just think that its doubtful that in ANY war room there is 100% of the people that can agree on 1 guy. In the case of a disagreement when the clock is ticking down on draft day, some one is going to get what they want and someone is going to have to wait for a later round to fill a position or grab a player that they may covet.

Im not suggesting that there is a civil war going on at 1 Bills Drive but I just think that its doubtful that in ANY war room there is 100% of the people that can agree on 1 guy. In the case of a disagreement when the clock is ticking down on draft day, some one is going to get what they want and someone is going to have to wait for a later round to fill a position or grab a player that they may covet.

You have a point of course. The main players in the FO put together their board before draft day, when they have time to debate/discuss/etc. While they might not agree on every player, they rank them in an order they can live with. And I think they have a good idea of who they are targeting, especially in the early rounds.

Of course things can change on draft day. Both of the two guys you targeted (and thought would be there) are taken, but there are a couple of guys you didn't expect to be available (for example). Who makes the call when the clock is ticking?

I would guess, with this FO, it is Buddy. But I wouldn't simply assume Buddy picks the guy he wants over the guy Chan prefers or Modrak recommends, when that situation arises.

And that man, who rarely comments publicly about the team, said getting a franchise QB was the top priority in the offseason. Granted RW's statements were before Fitz hit his stride this season and put up decent numbers.

I feel all your pain, i really do. But i truly doubt that 1st pick in april will be anyone you all hope for. There's another thread on the front page right now suggesting we might take a CB. I personally don't think that will happen (if it does, bill from nyc's head will explode) but dont be alarmed if they end up taking someone like AJ Green or Cam Newton.

If Newton blows up at the combine or at his personal workout, buffalo will take him. RW will demand it.

I would prefer Fairley btw

According to last year, when Nix was introduced as GM. He's the guy who's in charge according to Wilson's comments last year when introduced. Now that may mean absolutely nothing. Thing is we can only speculate as fans. But according to what their saying, I believe Nix has the final word on the Pick. His philopshy is building through the draft and taking the best available player when they draft. That's the Nix philosphy. I know they need a QB, but I don't think he'll break from his philosophy.

Nix, Gailey, and everyone else will use the team's first round draft pick on the best player available, regardless of position.

Not if they're picking at 4. The likely scenario is there will be the #1 WR, CB, OT, DT (and more) available, and the differences in measuring who is the BPA won't be significant enough to offset "need" at that point. Drafting 8-10 usually someone slides down that wasn't expected. At least that's MHO.

Personally, best case is to get the #3 and trade down if available.

I don't agree. It appears Nix and Gailey are on the same page wrt the draft, at least this past year. And while Gailey may be an offensive coach, he knows his defense is losing a lot of games for him, so taking the big name WR won't cure that problem. Offensively the Bills are mediocre, but on defense it's a complete cluster. They don't know if they're a 43 or 34, can't stop the run, and have surrendered 30+ 8 times this season.

The real battle will be between Nix/Gailey and the suits. The latter know the team has no drawing card in 2011 and it'll be a challenge to sell 40k season tickets. Needless to say, that's where the real battle will be waged.

[/quot

This is exactly right. Ralph will get his future QB /drawing card in Round 1. Bet on it.

Besides the wild card Ralph factor, I think a good way to predict who the Bills will pick in Rd 1 (and subsequent rounds) is to take a look at the kind of player they picked last year. Troup is a great example - I believe he was relatively injury-free, and a team captain going back to high school. That is the type of player they're looking for. Not necessarily someone with no off-field blemishes, but someone who has been a team captain and has stayed healthy. No idea where Fairley/Bowers/Mallet fit into that category but it's worth investigating.

EDIT: this is a successful model, btw. I saw a chart of Dimitroff's last few drafts for the Falcons, and they're the same - guys who have stayed healthy and been team captains for a decade.

Edited by Coach Tuesday