Draft pick may be a battle between Nix and Gailey

Madd Charlie

I think it comes down to who is the best player at a position of need.

But and if AJ Green rates higher than any player in our gaggle of receivers, is he needed?

If Prince Amukamara rates higher than any of our CB'S, is that then not a position of need as well?

I have been and I remain a huge Adrian Clayborn fan. And that's all I'll say about that. :thumbsup:

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But and if AJ Green rates higher than any player in our gaggle of receivers, is he needed?

If Prince Amukamara rates higher than any of our CB'S, is that then not a position of need as well?

I have been and I remain a huge Adrian Clayborn fan. And that's all I'll say about that. :thumbsup:

Our WRs and CBs are adequate, so, no.

I don't buy that logic. There is simply no way that Nix was looking at Spiller up to and on draft day with the plan to draft him for "next year's offense". How does that make sense? What is "next year's offense"? What's going to be the big change? Is it a secret--so secret that the league can't get but the tiniest peak at Spiller's electricity?

Many teams are running a two back ground game--except the Bills, despite drafting the "best player available" in the top 10 of the first round of the draft.

This sounds like a weak rationalization as to why Gailey simply cannot find any place for this kid in the offense. Nobody drafts a RB in the first round---for use at a later date.

I think on draft day Nix was thinking Spiller would be a future impact player even if it didn't happen right away. At this time last year, the Bills' roster was so far away from being playoff caliber it made a lot more sense to try and nab a future game changer rather than drafting for need. When you are close to making the playoffs, draft for need. When you are where the Bills were last year, you do what Nix did and draft guys who will be difference makers down the line - then build around them. It might not worked out as planned, but drafting best player available makes sense for a team not on the cusp of contention.

You'd prefer them to be adequate and not great? Okay.

I'm glad you're not running our team.

Great WRs don't do much good as such--see: Andre and Calvin Johnson, Lloyd, any Moss, TO/OC, Fitzgerald, etc. And the best CB in the world won't have much of a direct impact on the score of the game--he can cover one man at a time. A very good or great QB can complete passes to many players in a single game--see: Brady, Brees

I would rather have "great" players at more important positions. You should want that too.

Great WRs don't do much good as such--see: Andre and Calvin Johnson, Lloyd, any Moss, TO/OC, Fitzgerald, etc. And the best CB in the world won't have much of a direct impact on the score of the game--he can cover one man at a time. A very good or great QB can complete passes to many players in a single game--see: Brady, Brees

I would rather have "great" players at more important positions. You should want that too.

What are the "more important" positions? You could make a list of great players at every position that are on bad teams, with the exception of QB. Your examples don't provide anything meaningful.

Oh, OK. So they drafted him with the plan to unleash him on the NFL NEXT year. Well, he better have like 2000 yards from

scrimmge or the Bills are in trouble.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. We're going to have to disagree.

Yea, good thing they got rid of Parrish...because it was obvious that he was a bum from what he did last season.

No battle at the top. They need a franchise QB, OL, DL & LB. Frankly, same as last year.

Last year, when the Bills' turn came, every decent QB, OL & DL player was gone and anyone they chose at those positions in that slot would have been a reach. (I would have preferred a trade.) So they looked at the best player on the board and took Spiller. It was as simple as that.

As long as we lose Sunday we will be choosing 2-3 or 4th. If we win, we could slide to 10th because our strength of schedule is the toughest in the league. (I know there's a formula to determine opponents, but how does a team like Buffalo get a SOS at .575 and the PAT's get .400-something, but I digress.)

If we pick in the top 4 - we should get a value player at a position of need, QB, DE, OT or LB. If we pick 10th, we might take that CB, Safety or WR.

I love when we win, but for the sake of the future, Sunday is meaningless outside of reps to add to experience, so I actually hope we lose with dignity to avoid sliding 6 draft slots!!

If we win I will be happy, but I will look at the draft slotting with my fingers crossed hoping that big of a slide doesn't occur.

I don't agree. It appears Nix and Gailey are on the same page wrt the draft, at least this past year. And while Gailey may be an offensive coach, he knows his defense is losing a lot of games for him, so taking the big name WR won't cure that problem. Offensively the Bills are mediocre, but on defense it's a complete cluster. They don't know if they're a 43 or 34, can't stop the run, and have surrendered 30+ 8 times this season.

The real battle will be between Nix/Gailey and the suits. The latter know the team has no drawing card in 2011 and it'll be a challenge to sell 40k season tickets. Needless to say, that's where the real battle will be waged.

agreed on all points.

I don't buy that logic. There is simply no way that Nix was looking at Spiller up to and on draft day with the plan to draft him for "next year's offense". How does that make sense? What is "next year's offense"? What's going to be the big change? Is it a secret--so secret that the league can't get but the tiniest peak at Spiller's electricity?

Many teams are running a two back ground game--except the Bills, despite drafting the "best player available" in the top 10 of the first round of the draft.

This sounds like a weak rationalization as to why Gailey simply cannot find any place for this kid in the offense. Nobody drafts a RB in the first round---for use at a later date.

because they knew they were not going to win this year

FINALLY, someone gets it!!! Haven't seen to many here wanting him...He'd be my #1 pick!!!

I really didn't know much about the kid, cause I'm far more familiar with the SEC teams and players than I am the ACC ones, save for Ga Tech (since I live in ATL). But a while back on local radio, they were talking about this kid's stats so I wanted to know more about him. Based on what I can tell so far, the guy would be a great fit for our team. He's a dominant presence, he has a crapload of tackles for loss, and he can get after the QB. He's got good size for a pass rushing end at 6'4", 280, and I don't THINK he's got any character issues or off the field problems. What's not to like? :)

because they knew they were not going to win this year

Why would they think that? They won more last year with worse coaching and worse QB performance (in the aggregate).

CG famously has said that he walks onto the field with the expectation of winning every Sunday. Even if he was just tossing us a bromide, what is the logic to sequestering what may be your best offensive weapon? For "next year"?

We picked Spiller with the intent to not play him much because everyone knew we weren't going to win? That makes absolutely no sense at all. He's a RB! Get him in there.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to play him much more this year so that, when this "next year's offense" came to exist next year--he would already be part of it?

I really didn't know much about the kid, cause I'm far more familiar with the SEC teams and players than I am the ACC ones, save for Ga Tech (since I live in ATL). But a while back on local radio, they were talking about this kid's stats so I wanted to know more about him. Based on what I can tell so far, the guy would be a great fit for our team. He's a dominant presence, he has a crapload of tackles for loss, and he can get after the QB. He's got good size for a pass rushing end at 6'4", 280, and I don't THINK he's got any character issues or off the field problems. What's not to like? :)

Oh, and his number is available and waiting for him, too :thumbsup:

Why would they think that? They won more last year with worse coaching and worse QB performance (in the aggregate).

CG famously has said that he walks onto the field with the expectation of winning every Sunday. Even if he was just tossing us a bromide, what is the logic to sequestering what may be your best offensive weapon? For "next year"?

We picked Spiller with the intent to not play him much because everyone knew we weren't going to win? That makes absolutely no sense at all. He's a RB! Get him in there.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to play him much more this year so that, when this "next year's offense" came to exist next year--he would already be part of it?

- Change over in up top people

- Change over in defense knowing we didn't have the parts to make it work

- New offensive scheme

- Change over in all of the coaching positions

- Lack of participation in free agency

I know that people like to think that our higher ups are not as smart as we are......but the fact is this is these guys know a heck of a lot more then we do about what their plans are.

It is my belief that these guys had grown tired of middle of the road first round picks always picking just outside of the blue chippers.....there are some players in this draft that have a very good chance of not being busts.....and also a good chance those players will go in the top 5 of this draft.

Everyone wants to believe that teams have no agendas going into a season that involve something else but winning.....but I dont think that is true.

Im not suggesting that there is a civil war going on at 1 Bills Drive but I just think that its doubtful that in ANY war room there is 100% of the people that can agree on 1 guy. In the case of a disagreement when the clock is ticking down on draft day, some one is going to get what they want and someone is going to have to wait for a later round to fill a position or grab a player that they may covet.

I agree that there is not nor should there be agreement at this point about choosing one guy. In fact. in our competitive American system getting the best result depends not only on their being conflicting camps and thinking but in this TEAM coming together to way all the options and come up with a solution that meets a bunch of real world needs in a way that allows everyone to move together toward the same goal.

I want Gailey and Nix to disagree about a lot of stuff.

I then want them to be adult enough and smart football guys to reach a consensus approach which uses the multiple draft picks, FA. trades. UDFA and any means legal to amass a winning team.

The lead post is actually a sign of a good thing if these men respect each others knowledge and can reach a consensus relatively smoothly that has one of the "lose" out in his first choice, but his legitimate concerns (this team needs defensive help badly- a QB may be a great one but even Luck if he he turns out to be the best player he could be with the team he is chosen by strikes me as great plastic surgery on a team whose ability to stop the run is a gaping open chest wound),

Who cares if their is a dispute between Gailey and Nis, the important thing is whether they can settle it like adults (WGR and Sully will not want them to as this type of dispute makes for easy reporting and selling column inches and air space for ads for their employers).

I think we should focus on defense and our O line solidifying that will go along way. We need a mix of veteran talent and rookies.

A Stud DT Like the kid from Auburn to replace Dud John McCargo and Marcus Stroud becomes a rotational backup. I still don't think we will be playing a 3-4 that much.

2 LBS - 1 inside 1 outside

A DE -

A RT - 2nd or 3rd Round

A CB -

May I suggest glasses?

No, seriously, I think Chan wants a multi-purpose weapon on offense. Fred is a nice back, but he isn't a home-run threat nor is he a long ball receiving threat. While CJ hasn't shown what many thought he could do, he can do things Fred simply isn't able to do.

Dean, I'm not as down on the Spiller pick as many, not having a strong view on the talent around him on the board (how is Alualu doing?).

I hope he develops into a star. I'm willing to give him several seasons to figure it out.

On the same light that CJ could (potentially) do things Fred isn't able to do, CJ started the season unable to do many things Fred does very well.

Protecting the QB and blocking, for two. Following his blockers through the hole instead of trying to break to the outside every play, for a third.

What leaves the bad taste in my mouth was proclaiming CJ the starter and #1 on the depth chart at the beginning of the season, where he stayed for some time even after Jackson started taking the snaps.

It must have been obvious to the coaching staff that CJ couldn't block for beans and didn't try to follow his blockers.

CJ may have greater long-term potential, but Fred is the far better overall player right now.

Why anoint CJ the "starter", #1 on the chart, except as a marketing ploy?