Marty talking about Buddy

bkc

Marty Shottenheimer was talking to Peter King about his days In S.d . One of the things he mentioned is how Buddy was the Go to guy when it came to evaluating players for the draft . He said the A.j relied heavily on Buddy for all matters on draft day . He basically said no one is better at evaluating players then Buddy Nix. Take it for what it is worth, form your own opinions. That said I think Buddy is doing a great job. Look at all the talent brought in either through undrafted Free agents or through the waiver process. While the Bills are still lacky in several areas the top to bottom quality is greatly improved in his first year. Can't wait to see what he does in his first offseason after having a year to evaluate his current talent.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marty shot was talking to Peter King about his days In S.d . One of the things he mentioned is how Buddy was the Go to guy when it came to evaluating players for the draft . He said the A.j relied heavily on Buddy for all matters on draft day . He basically said no one is better at evaluating players then Buddy Nix. Take it for what it is worth, form your own opinions. That said I think Buddy is doing a great job. Look at all the talent brought in either through undrafted Free agents or through the waiver process. While the Bills are still lacky in several areas the top to bottom quality is greatly improved in his first year. Can't wait to see what he does in his first offseason after having a year to evaluate his current talent.

Pretty cool stuff. I like Marty.

Lies LIES - it just, it just, has to be! :D

I know TBD is in a state of depression, but I'm already excited for next year (and I even want to win this week; my client is a Jets fan, he deserves a little pain at the hand of the Bills)

Marty shot was talking to Peter King about his days In S.d . One of the things he mentioned is how Buddy was the Go to guy when it came to evaluating players for the draft . He said the A.j relied heavily on Buddy for all matters on draft day . He basically said no one is better at evaluating players then Buddy Nix. Take it for what it is worth, form your own opinions. That said I think Buddy is doing a great job. Look at all the talent brought in either through undrafted Free agents or through the waiver process. While the Bills are still lacky in several areas the top to bottom quality is greatly improved in his first year. Can't wait to see what he does in his first offseason after having a year to evaluate his current talent.

Was NOT impressed with his first draft - Why pick Spiller when the team is changing to a 3-4 defense and has been near the bottom or at the bottom in run defense for the past several years....plus several guys were learning new positions on defense (Kelsay, Stroud etc...)

I hope they draft what they NEED this time around.

Edited by Azucho98

Was NOT impressed with his first draft - Why pick Spiller when the team is changing to a 3-4 defense and has been near the bottom or at the bottom in run defense for the past several years....plus several guys were learning new positions on defense (Kelsay, Stroud etc...)

It's because there is a difference between drafting/evaluating, and team-building. Just because Nix can scout doesn't necessarily mean he knows how to run an organization and re-build a team. This offseason provided some concerns. The switch to the 3-4 was ill-advised, and then, when they scrapped it mid-season, many of their draftees took on diminshed roles. And Nix's self-stated plan to sit out the free agency period was exposed as a mistake when it became clear that the roster had much more holes than one draft could fill. There are also real questions about his choice of DC.

This team needed (and needs) to look to the future in the draft, not just the next year. I believe Chan and Buddy felt he NEEDED an offensive player like Spiller for this offense to work effectively. It may not have been the biggest need for this season, but you have to look further ahead than that when you are rebuilding.

You can certainly argue Spiller wasn't the best choice, but your ideal of "need" seems far too narrow.

Bc successful organizations don't draft need just to do it.

It's because there is a difference between drafting/evaluating, and team-building. Just because Nix can scout doesn't necessarily mean he knows how to run an organization and re-build a team. This offseason provided some concerns. The switch to the 3-4 was ill-advised, and then, when they scrapped it mid-season, many of their draftees took on diminshed roles. And Nix's self-stated plan to sit out the free agency period was exposed as a mistake when it became clear that the roster had much more holes than one draft could fill. There are also real questions about his choice of DC.

First Chan picked his coaches

Second the free agnecy this past year was very limited due to ending of the labor agreement

Third they didn't scrap the 3/4 they tried every d front available to try to stop the run due to both lack of talent and injuries

Why does Tom Modrake still collect a paycheck?

The contributions of all the late round draft picks and UDFA's suggest Modrak is a genius. Typically the head scout has the least say about early round picks, and the most for later picks and UDFAs. Is that how it works for the Bills? I don't know, and I would bet you don't, either.

Agree on all points, and you didn't mention the o-line

While I agree with the bolded sentence, you can't really judge a man's ability to "build a team" based on one offseason.

We have to think back to the end of last year. The offense couldn't get out of its own way and needed an instant playmaker. It wasn't going to be QB and Gailey remembered how Spiller ran all over the ACC. I can see their reasoning, even if it didn't work out. Not every 1st-rounder does. I would look at picks 2-7 for a better take on that draft. We don't yet know what we have in Easely and the others have held their own as rookies. I say we wait one more draft to see what Nix can do. The man has been in football longer than most of us have been alive and unfortunately has been told to build cheaply through the draft. The competing interests he has to appease are Ralph's wallet (seems he is trying to get his estate in order) and the fans (along with marketing department). I don't envy him.

First Chan picked his coaches

Second the free agnecy this past year was very limited due to ending of the labor agreement

Third they didn't scrap the 3/4 they tried every d front available to try to stop the run due to both lack of talent and injuries

Sorry, but those are all RIDICULOUS excuses.

1) Chan reports to Nix. If you're saying that Chan has free reign on his hires, then it's even more reason for concern about Nix's performance as GM.

2) There were plenty of good players available in FA and via trade who would've helped this team. PLENTY. I'm not going to document each one of them, but I wish folks would stop repeating that there was no one available (or that those players who were on the market wouldn't have come here). B.S. This team chose to sit out, for whatever reason, while quality right tackles like Jamaal Brown and Flozel Adams changed venues. Think Scheffler would've helped at TE? The list goes on and on.

3) Interesting revisionism there considering that they drafted specifically to implement a 3-4 defense to stop the run. It's not like Troup and Carrington were injured - they were benched.

While I agree with the bolded sentence, you can't really judge a man's ability to "build a team" based on one offseason.

Which is why I said there are "some concerns."

We have to think back to the end of last year. The offense couldn't get out of its own way and needed an instant playmaker. It wasn't going to be QB and Gailey remembered how Spiller ran all over the ACC. I can see their reasoning, even if it didn't work out. Not every 1st-rounder does. I would look at picks 2-7 for a better take on that draft. We don't yet know what we have in Easely and the others have held their own as rookies. I say we wait one more draft to see what Nix can do. The man has been in football longer than most of us have been alive and unfortunately has been told to build cheaply through the draft. The competing interests he has to appease are Ralph's wallet (seems he is trying to get his estate in order) and the fans (along with marketing department). I don't envy him.

Not ANY first rounder does, for this used car franchise.

Some would say Nix has been given an impossible mandate...

again anyone taking shots at the Spiller pick has to give a realistic name on who you wold have drafted at number 9

Let's see. The next player taken was Tyson Alualu. He's started 15 games at DT and been very solid. 35 tackles and 3.5 sacks. Pretty darn good for a rookie DT, but then the Bills probably couldn't have used a guy to help clog the middle.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tysonalualu/situationalstats?id=ALU059326

Let's see. The next player taken was Tyson Alualu. He's started 15 games at DT and been very solid. 35 tackles and 3.5 sacks. Pretty darn good for a rookie DT, but then the Bills probably couldn't have used a guy to help clog the middle.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tysonalualu/situationalstats?id=ALU059326

Or Bulaga or Anthony Davis, both of whom have developed into very good right tackles already.