I want Cam Newton

buffalo_bills

Basically what you are saying is, he is like all black QB's that weren't successful. What is the Buffalo culture you are implying???

If you heard him speak you would realize he and McGahee are two totally different people.

If you have seen this guy play you wouldn't hesitate to pick him. I think Chan Gailey would develop the hell out of him. This guy has the smarts to play the pro game and will make a huge impact. Nothing against Luck but Newton was the better guy this year.

I would not trade up to get any pick. If anything I would trade down to get more picks. If available Newton, Luck or Bowers would be my choices. We should be able to land one of them.

There is no bigger pimp than the NCAA.

Take off the racial blinders.

Regardless of his race, taking a QB in the first round is a crap shoot. It has been proven repeatedly. If he were to fall to later in the draft, then maybe he's worth a shot. #3 pick? Too much of a gamble.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

College players with off-field issues are complete gambles. Some work out but many don't. Using a high 1st round pick on a gamble isn't worth it. When you draft a high 1st rounder you try to be risk averse and not roll the dice that a player will suddenly grow up. Many of the top picks who were busts had maturity issues that ruined them in the NFL. I don't know enough about Newton, but if the Bills are considering drafting him they better do a background check that includes multiple conversations with the guy.

A classic example is the year Manning & Leaf went 1-2. Leaf may have looked good on the field, but he was a head case. If San Diego had done their due diligence, they never would have drafted him. They let his on field play rule the day.

Not sure what else a background check will reveal about Newton. We know more about him than any player in recent history. He's a thief, an academinc fraud and he had his father pimp him out to several colleges.

No one really seems to care and he does seem like a bright kid. I'd take him--look at the past 2 1st rounders we've gambled on. I doubt he would pay off less than they will.

Basically what you are saying is, he is like all black QB's that weren't successful. What is the Buffalo culture you are implying???

If you heard him speak you would realize he and McGahee are two totally different people.

If you have seen this guy play you wouldn't hesitate to pick him. I think Chan Gailey would develop the hell out of him. This guy has the smarts to play the pro game and will make a huge impact. Nothing against Luck but Newton was the better guy this year.

I would not trade up to get any pick. If anything I would trade down to get more picks. If available Newton, Luck or Bowers would be my choices. We should be able to land one of them.

There is no bigger pimp than the NCAA.

Take off the racial blinders.

The thinly veiled racism that comes out in these threads is astounding sometimes.

Regardless of our defensive needs and speaking strictly about Newton, I'm completely torn. I really like the kid as a player and think with a year to sit behind Fitz and with Gailey developing him, he could really turn out well for the Bills. However, I don't like the fact that he is basically a "One Year Wonder". I'd love to say "not until our second round pick", but there is no way he falls that far. I'd want to do a couple of interviews with him first, but I guess I'll have to leave the up to Buddy. Nix and Gailey are well aware of the personnel holes this team has. If they feel that he will make the transition into the NFL and want to use a #3 overall on him, then I trust their judgment.

Regardless of his race, taking a QB in the first round is a crap shoot. It has been proven repeatedly. If he were to fall to later in the draft, then maybe he's worth a shot. #3 pick? Too much of a gamble.

Any first rounder QB or player at any position can be a crapshoot especially when Modrak is heading up the scouting. We have many needs offensive and defensive that need to be addressed. I think many people think we have a great offensive we only need defensive help. Not true.

Defensive needs to be the priority of the draft on a whole if you have a top 5 pick you should get the best impact player.

Picks should not be that much of a gamble if the research is properly done. Still no guarantees but the odds will stack in our favor if we do our homework. Notice how some teams seem to evaluate better than others.

Edited by VADC Bills

Great Athlete but can he drop back and read an NFL defense?

I just see a great college player, not sure about him as a pro Quarterback

How do you know Luck can read a defense? or Kellen Moore? or who knew Tom Brady would be that good? Fact is nobody knows until they get on the field so why not give the kid a shot? I agree with you I do but with his mobility I think if he get in trouble he can just run until he get better at reading defenses and since we have no O-Line he will or our QB will need to run for his life....

Count me as one who's completely against this. He's a thug & a thief. To me, he's just another Jamarcus Russell/Vince Young. Braun, talent, witless.

Geneology? His father is a pimp..

This is just blatant racist shi*t c'mon son really? This is why nobody thinks Buffalo is ready for a black quarterback...

I want Cam as a Bill he'll bring excitement to a team that is flat and boring period. I mean if Luck is there take him but if not Cam and Chan (That rhymes) well be ok in my book.... Lets go Cam...

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

You do not know what you are talking about.

Every quarterback drafted is a "crap shoot". The hit rate on quarterbacks taken at the top of Round 1 of the NFL draft is A MILLION times higher than the hit rate on quarterbacks selected anywhere else.

Just because you can name a handful of high first round QB flops doesn't mean there aren't a THOUSAND quarterbacks that flopped that were drafted in rounds 2 and higher.

You think #1 overall draft pick quarterbacks flop often? Wonder why getting Tom Brady in the 6th round is so incredible? Pretty much 100% of them fail.

You do not know what you are talking about.

Every quarterback drafted is a "crap shoot". The hit rate on quarterbacks taken at the top of Round 1 of the NFL draft is A MILLION times higher than the hit rate on quarterbacks selected anywhere else.

Just because you can name a handful of high first round QB flops doesn't mean there aren't a THOUSAND quarterbacks that flopped that were drafted in rounds 2 and higher.

You think #1 overall draft pick quarterbacks flop often? Wonder why getting Tom Brady in the 6th round is so incredible? Pretty much 100% of them fail.

Exactly. And furthermore, there have been plenty of Dline and Oline busts from that early as well (including the Bills own Mike Williams).

Its all a gamble. Luckily, with a high pick and as many needs as we have, Nix can cut down that gamble remarkably. If they think Newton is the guy and pick him early, then so be it.

Maybe he's right, but of course Chizik is going to say that.

Not really. He wasn’t asked the question straight up. He actually went out of his way to say how smart the kid is when it comes to defensive football. He talked about his football IQ like it was superior to his athletic ability.

I was never a fan of drafting Newton until now. Im not sure if he will like Buffalo or not (prob not) but if he is a player we should grab him. I actually do have confidence in Buddy Chan being able to assess a QBs mind. They knew to go after Tebow and to stay away from Clausen when most everyone was leaning the other way, and the only explanation would be those two guys mental understanding of the game.

PS Newtons arm is not stronger than Tebow whoever said that. You may not like Tebow but the dude throws lazers. He had some throws in the Houston game (60+ yarders on a frozen rope while rolling out) that only Vick or the 1998 Farve could have made. Even I was surprised he could do that. Newtons is not weak, but Tebow is in the top 1% in terms of arm strength.

Didn't we learn anything from the Maybin draft? One year college wonders are just a bust. I'm not saying Newton is not exciting to watch but, why would you bench Fitz and plug in a kid who more than likely cant read a pro D. yea, ha can run. So what! We finally got a QB who can keep our O in the game and have a shot at winning and you all want to just get rid of him. We need a middle LB like P Willie in SF! Poz is ok. We need someone who strikes feer in the eyes of aponenets. If we don't focus on the D next year were doomed again. JMO

Didn't we learn anything from the Maybin draft? One year college wonders are just a bust. I'm not saying Newton is not exciting to watch but, why would you bench Fitz and plug in a kid who more than likely cant read a pro D. yea, ha can run. So what! We finally got a QB who can keep our O in the game and have a shot at winning and you all want to just get rid of him. We need a middle LB like P Willie in SF! Poz is ok. We need someone who strikes feer in the eyes of aponenets. If we don't focus on the D next year were doomed again. JMO

Have you sat with him in the film room? How the F do know about his ability to read a Pro D???

Im not saying bench Fitz at all. The exact opposite actually.

Fitz turning into a more-than-serviceable QB puts us in the PERFECT position to draft a QB, if we think there is one there with "Franchise" potential.

The fact is that NO rookie QB is going to know how to read a Pro D. Out of the top prospects, Mallett is probably the furthest along, and even he will need some work.

Having Fitz as a capable starter, and Gailey who has a rep as a QB guru, would allow the rookie QB to develop at his own pace and not be thrown into the fire too soon.

I agree the defense needs help, and Im all for shoring up the front-7 with our early picks. But Newton is just more than another RB. With proper development, he could be leading this team as well as, if not better than, Fitz. There are 6 other rounds to get D help in a draft much deeper at Defense than it is at QB.

Taking an offensive tackle early in the draft is a crap shoot. It has been proven repeatedly.

Taking a defensive tackle early in the draft is a crap shoot. It has been proven repeatedly.

Taking a safety early in the draft is a crap shoot. It has been proven repeatedly.

Taking a running back early in the draft is a crap shoot. It has been proven repeatedly.

Taking a defensive end/linebacker early in the draft is a crap shoot. It has been proven repeatedly.

The Bills problems haven't been with whom they have drafted, the Bills problems have been with whom they have entrusted the draft.

Not sure what else a background check will reveal about Newton. We know more about him than any player in recent history. He's a thief, an academinc fraud and he had his father pimp him out to several colleges.

No one really seems to care and he does seem like a bright kid. I'd take him--look at the past 2 1st rounders we've gambled on. I doubt he would pay off less than they will.

And this is why he'll be taken in the first round. Heisman Award, possible national champ, and his athleticism will outweigh his potential off-field "incidents". There are too many GMs out there that will not be concerned with anything off the field as they're making him their first round pick.

His talents aside, I'd be concerned about his influences. If his father was pimping him out to SEC schools, what's to say he (or others around him) won't do something similarly conniving once Cam turns pro?

SO true. A large faction of Bills fans do not want to see an African American quarterback their team, period.

I don't believe that at all. There is no such "large faction". I think if we picked him, especially after a good BCS game and combine, Bills fans would be very excited. And I don;t mean TO-excited, I mean truly excited.