Buffalo is a ghost town - the worst city ever...

BLZFAN4LIFE

I loved what Jack Kent Cooke said after his Kings really struggled at the gate:

I put the Kings in LA because there are 500,000 ex-Canadians living in Southern California. Now I know why they left Canada. They hate hockey!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved what Jack Kent Cooke said after his Kings really struggled at the gate:

I put the Kings in LA because there are 500,000 ex-Canadians living in Southern California. Now I know why they left Canada. They hate hockey!

I worked with a guy who went to one of the first Ducks games. He said there was a woman behind him that asked "what are they doing skaing around with those poles in their hands?"

I'm a big Buffalo backer. I don't live there anymore but always defend the city and talk it up to anyone that says anything negative. I was in town for the Bills game and the Rangers/Sabres home opener in October. There was a pretty big buzz for the Sabres home opener. As we drove downtown on a Saturday eve it was literally empty (or a ghost town as this kid said). I literally did not see anything going on anywhere until we parked and got within a block of the Arena. Then finally i saw people with Sabres jerseys on and some festivities in the plaza. I have to say it was kind of a downer as we drove through downtown. I'm not expecting Buffalo to be a vibrant nightlife but you literally have to be on top of the action to notice anything going on. I can see why this kid made that stupid tweet. I don't like it but i can understand from his perspective.

I'm a big Buffalo backer. I don't live there anymore but always defend the city and talk it up to anyone that says anything negative. I was in town for the Bills game and the Rangers/Sabres home opener in October. There was a pretty big buzz for the Sabres home opener. As we drove downtown on a Saturday eve it was literally empty (or a ghost town as this kid said). I literally did not see anything going on anywhere until we parked and got within a block of the Arena. Then finally i saw people with Sabres jerseys on and some festivities in the plaza. I have to say it was kind of a downer as we drove through downtown. I'm not expecting Buffalo to be a vibrant nightlife but you literally have to be on top of the action to notice anything going on. I can see why this kid made that stupid tweet. I don't like it but i can understand from his perspective.

Thanks for your support. Which way did you take to get downtown?

Were all the bars on Chippewa closed? What about the Elmwood strip? Allentown?

Hertel? That's why I'm asking what route he took.

I can believe the few blocks near the hotel he might be staying at might be very dead. But Buffalo really isn't a "Downtown" city. It is a city of neighborhoods. I might think Long Beach was a ghost town too, if I only wandered a few blocks from my old apartment on Signal Hill.

In order to find those spots (particularly Elmwood bars and Allentown), you have to know exactly where to look. And if you DO find them, and expect anything more than (at best) Pubs and (mostly) Dive Bars, then it can look pretty bad. I was home for a week in mid-September and was ready to tear it up, but even knowing where I was going, most places were completely empty all the way until Friday night.

And as far as Chippewa goes :sick: ... I guess my point is that those "scenes" dont cater to very many different people.

You and I might think Founding Fathers is a great bar (and it is), but for a visitor looking for the Best the City has to Offer, it would be like taking them to drink in my grandmother's basement.

Im not surprised that he posted what he did. I think it's a little immature and misguided, but it's not surprising. Buffalo IS a ghost town more often than it is "bustling with nightlife".

I can believe the few blocks near the hotel he might be staying at might be very dead. But Buffalo really isn't a "Downtown" city. It is a city of neighborhoods. I might think Long Beach was a ghost town too, if I only wandered a few blocks from my old apartment on Signal Hill.

Well if you wandered a few blocks from Signal Hill you'd be nowhere near downtown Long Beach. Other than that it's exactly like what he was referring to. :rolleyes:

We just came down Elmwood to Delaware. Actually, i had dinner that eve at Coles on Elmwood before the game. It was crowded for sure. Like others said, if you don't know exactly where to go, you won't see pedestrians walking around much, especially downtown. What can i say? it was a ghost town. Funny to hear the kid backtrack in his apology interview on the News website. He now says Buffalo is a vibrant and energetic city....in the springtime i guess.

I assume this kid stepped outside of HSBC and formed his opinion. Standing at the foot of Main St on it's best day it still looks like a ghost town.

Originally a new arena was to be built at Chippawa and Genesee Sts near the heart of the city's club and theater districts but that made too much sense for city officials. Instead they put it at the foot of Main where there is absolutely nothing except the old Aud. HSBC Arena, they assumed, would draw commercial development like Bass Pro. :lol: How did that work out?

To be fair that end of Buffalo has potential. It's on the waterfront. The plan now is to restore the old cobblestone streets and part of the original Erie Canal that ended right there, then build something like the Baltimore Inner Harbor only on a smaller and more local scale. But right now its a whole lotta nuthin' there.

And they keep having big events like the Hockey Junior Worlds which is nice but they are leaving a lot of people with the worst possible impression of the city.

PTR

Instead they put it at the foot of Main where there is absolutely nothing except the old Aud. HSBC Arena, they assumed, would draw commercial development like Bass Pro. :lol: How did that work out?

Well that's exactly what happened to the SOMA district after they built AT&T park. Completely changed the area and 10 years later is still going. Impressive.

Well if you wandered a few blocks from Signal Hill you'd be nowhere near downtown Long Beach. Other than that it's exactly like what he was referring to. :rolleyes:

My point was, if he only wandered a few blocks from his hotel it may have seemed like a ghost town. Maybe he was downtown. Buffalo isn't a downtown kind of city.

We just came down Elmwood to Delaware. Actually, i had dinner that eve at Coles on Elmwood before the game. It was crowded for sure. Like others said, if you don't know exactly where to go, you won't see pedestrians walking around much, especially downtown. What can i say? it was a ghost town. Funny to hear the kid backtrack in his apology interview on the News website. He now says Buffalo is a vibrant and energetic city....in the springtime i guess.

There's a difference between a ghost town and a place where people are out, places are open but not many people are walking around. When someone says a place is a "ghost town" I figure nothing is open, there is nothing to do, etc.