We don't need a win Sunday

KRT88

I a huge Bills fan and I still remember the first game my dad took me to in 1978 (a 24-10 win vs. the Baltimore Colts and I think it was Sept. 24). Every week a cheer hard for my beloved Bills and I want them to win, but com Sunday, they don't need to win. If the lose they will likely have the 3rd pick in the draft (Cinicainnati has played a tougher schedule). If Denver we to win, they could end up with the 2nd pick.

Normally, I'd say who cares but let's be real, we've seen this team give it there best shot all season. They given some good teams there best shot and come up short. All year we haven't been able to stop anyone from running the ball. Defensively, they do not have the personal to run a 3-4, and their LB simply aren't good enough. A win on Sunday could see the team drop 7 or 8 spots in the draft. Is that really worth it! We've stunk most of the year so let's get something out of it! There's always some real quality in the draft, and if we can't settle on one guy, maybe we can use the pick to entice a team into trading picks with us, giving us some volume in terms of draft picks.

No one player will make a massive difference with this team so if we can't get a franchise QB or a real dominate pass rusher, use the high pick to try to collect a bunch of picks! Washington, as well as others may be desperate for a QB.

high draft picks only matter if the team selects an impact playmaker - not another useless boob who can't play (Maybin, McCargo, Whitner, Lynch, Losman, Williams, etc)

The Bills history of blown high round picks is incredibly atrocious and the guy in charge of college scouting responsible for the last decade of drafting futility is still in charge

good thing our plan is to build thru the draft

I hope the Bills renewed their Mel Kiper subscription this year so Modrak has something to read while sunning on the beach in Flordia.

Considering the number of teams one game ahead of the Bills in the standings, I'd have to agree.

A meaningless win over the Colts scrubs cost a couple of draft slots last year.

I'd just like to be the first to say that <<insert name of Bills' 2011 first round pick here>> was a reach, is overpaid, and sucks.

I know I won't be the last to say it.

I've never been one to root for the Bills to lose. I've been okay with loses this year because let's face it, they were never going to compete for a playoff birth and the thought of a high draft pick provided some comfort loss after loss after loss.

But this week, it's the Jets. Yes, they're a division rival. I hate the Jets. I want to beat the Jets every time we play them.

Still ... this is one game where a win could tangibly hurt this franchise. Yes. A win could hurt. It could cost them up to 5 spots in the draft. That's 5 impact players they could miss out on. It means less leverage to trade down (if they so desire) to stock up on more picks. It means less of a chance to find the defensive playmaker this team sorely needs.

It makes me want to vomit to type that. But it's true.

Still, it makes no difference. The team can't (and won't) lie down. They're pros and they're playing for their own jobs and coaching for their own jobs. They will play to win. As they should.

Still, the intelligent fans should look at this game as a gimme. If they win, awesome. Beating the Jets is always a good feeling. But that's as far as it goes. Momentum does NOT carry from one season to the next (no matter what people here try to tell you). So all a win will do is make the FANS happy for one more week. And that's great. But even a loss should make the fans happy as it means a potential #2 pick.

It's win win.

Edited by tgreg99

We should lose this game at all cost. As a matter of fact - once a team is mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs they should lose EVERY game. This would secure the best possible draft position for the next year.

Everyone says that Professional Sports is a business. If its a business then run it like one. Start your next fiscal year once you are eleminated from the current year. Hell - Buffalo has been winning these meaningless end of season games for the last few years taking them out of drafting better prospects. Not sound business at ALL!!

TANK THE GAMES AND GET THE BEST POSSIBLE DRAFT PICK!!!!!!!!!!

We should lose this game at all cost. As a matter of fact - once a team is mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs they should lose EVERY game. This would secure the best possible draft position for the next year.

Everyone says that Professional Sports is a business. If its a business then run it like one. Start your next fiscal year once you are eleminated from the current year. Hell - Buffalo has been winning these meaningless end of season games for the last few years taking them out of drafting better prospects. Not sound business at ALL!!

TANK THE GAMES AND GET THE BEST POSSIBLE DRAFT PICK!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with that is how do you convince the players to do that? Or the coaches?

These are guys who make a living playing a sport where the average career lasts just over 3 years. They cannot afford to "tank" a game. They're looking to perform at the highest possible level they can, put up as many stats as they can to justify a bigger contract next time they negotiate.

Coaches are the same.

There is ZERO chance a professional team "throws" a game. Ever. The only way you can do it is to order the coaches NOT to play certain people. But that won't happen either.

Throwing the game is stupid. It won't happen. But that doesn't mean that we should root for a win. Or hope for one. A win this weekend is meaningless to the franchise, meaningless to the future of the team. But it damn sure means something to the current players and coaches on the roster.

I'm sorry but I don't believe I said to "throw" a game. The way you lose games without throwing them is very simple. You play your second and thrid string personnal not only to put a inferior team on the field but also to ascertain how they play and wheather they are worth developing.

Sometimes teams hold on to these developmental players cuz they don't have the opportunity to see how they hold up to top notch compitition.

So it's really a win - win situation. Play your scrubs to develop and analyze. And lose games in the process to secure the highest possible pick.

TANK THE F---ING GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Completely agree. If they lose Sunday, the worst the lowest they draft is 4th, but if they win, they might be drafting as low as 12. Yes, no draft pick is a guarantee, and yes the Bills could draft another mike Williams, but playing the numbers game, there are a lot more impact players taken at 4 than 12.

Considering the number of teams one game ahead of the Bills in the standings, I'd have to agree.

A meaningless win over the Colts scrubs cost a couple of draft slots last year.

who cares, they probably still would have taken spiller...which would have been a retarded pick in the 2rd round, let alone with the 9th pick.

The Jets may WANT us to win. It could be quite comical with both teams fumbling and no one trying to recover it.

PTR

Jets want to win as they have a chance to move up to the 5 seed. As I pointed out in another thread, the brackets are done over each week so the number one seed in week two (NE) will play the lowest remaining seed. If both 5 and 6 seeds win week 1, the 5 seed won't need to go to NE week 2. Also there is the outside chance the 5 and seeds play in the championship game with the 5 seed hosting.