Some thoughts as the season winds down

jahnyc

Some thoughts below:

1. Not to state the obvious, but the Bills lack talent. RT, outside linebacker, TE, DE and DT are all priorities. The question will become how many holes can be filled this offseason with the draft and free agency, and whether the Bills will spend money on free agents. My concern is that the Bills will create a number of new holes by not re-signing certain players and releasing others that are well paid. In the first category are Whitner, Poz and Florence. In the second category are Stroud and Evans. The magnitude of the needs and potential holes will not allow the Bills to address all needs in one or two offseasons, unless the Bills make a significant number of free agent acquisitions.

2. Overall, the Bills offense was more enjoyable to watch this year. Fitz made some plays, and even converted on long third downs. Gailey did well with what he had when you consider the o-line, injuries, and lack of a starting caliber tight end.

3. The defense continues to be a disaster. Could not stop the run in many games this year and in passing situations applied no pressure. We do not have the right personnel for the 3-4 defense. Not sure if Edwards is the right guy as DC.

4. Williams had a very strong year. Also good to see Stevie Johnson develop into a strong starting WR. Moats seems to be a player, and I hope he develops. Troup and Carrington were somewhat disappointing, but some of this should be expected as first year players.

5. Spiller continues the trend of underwhelming first round picks. Granted, he is a rookie, but many rookie running backs have great first years. We will not have success if we continue to draft poorly with our first pick. Lynch, McKelvin and Maybin have all been disappointments. Maybin seems to be a complete bust. McKelvin has had three years to develop and still looks lost at times.

6. The secondary could go from a strength to needing additional players. We could potentially lose Whitner, Wilson, Flrorence and Youboty.

7. The play of Whitner and Poz continue to be a mystery to me. Should they be re-signed? I would love to get an independent third party analysis of their play. Whitner seems to have trouble covering TEs, although he made a lot of tackles this year. Poz has always seemed a bit slow, but also makes a lot of tackles.

8. Stroud seemed awfully quiet this year. I know that he switched positions (DT to DE), but did he make plays?

9. We need more production from rookies, meaning that we need to select players in the draft who can contribute immediately.

10. The bottom line is that it was another poor season for the Bills. It has been more than 10 years since we made the playoffs. We need upgrades, including at many of the same positions that we needed last offseason. I think many were thankful that we did not finish 0-16, but we need to communicate to the front office that the team's performance this year was not acceptable.

Poz and whitner will be resigned on name value alone, and that is sad. Whitner reminds me of bernard pollard. Good for a big hit once in a while, but otherwise just another guy. Poz cant cover a snail. Another guy that gets way too much slack because he's white.

Honestly, kyle williams and drayton florence. Send the other 9 to the arena league

I think you keep Whitner aorund for a while longer for the sake of not creating more holes. There's lots of more important needs (like almost the entire front-7), and while he's not a standout, he does his job.

If you keep Poz, it has to be with the plan that he's depth and not a starter.

Edited by BlueFire

I think you keep Whitner aorund for a while longer for the sake of not creating more holes. There's lots of more important needs (like almost the entire front-7), and while he's not a standout, he does his job.

If you keep Poz, it has to be with the plan that he's depth and not a starter.

+1

I have to believe wilson, in his limited number of plays per game out plays witner almist every game in terms of coverage and creating turnovers.

Why do people always make this comparison?...has Wilson even played Strong Safety at all this year? The safety positions aren't interchangeable. If anything Scott should be the one to replace Whitner.

Why do people always make this comparison?...has Wilson even played Strong Safety at all this year? The safety positions aren't interchangeable. If anything Scott should be the one to replace Whitner.

Wilson has been playing the FS spot, so people should compare him to Byrd (who has been so unbelieveably bad this season, yet people are blinded because he made peyton hillis fumble). Wilson would get chewed up and swallowed at the SS spot. Wilson is a good depth player and spot starter, but if you're relying on him to start 16 games, you're in trouble.

Yes GW started 12 games last season at both free and strong safety. He started at SS when Whitner was out, and he started at SS when Byrd was out with Whitner moving to FS. He started at FS when Byrd and Whitner were out and Scott played SS. Wouldnt that make GW more of a SS than Whitner? If they both play and it is WHITNER WHO PLAYS FS WHEN THEY ARE BOTH ON THE FIELD? You would think so wouldn't you? In fact, once Whitner was back from injury GW remained in the starting lineup with Byrd, for 2-3 games IIRC. Perhaps Fewell knew who the better players was, something Dickie J didnt want to admit.

Wilson has been playing the FS spot, so people should compare him to Byrd (who has been so unbelieveably bad this season, yet people are blinded because he made peyton hillis fumble). Wilson would get chewed up and swallowed at the SS spot. Wilson is a good depth player and spot starter, but if you're relying on him to start 16 games, you're in trouble.

No, he hasnt, he has barely played at all this year. When he has it has been as an extra DB in dime sets.

GW played like a PBer the second half of last season at SS but you claim he was chewed up Talk about fabrication, its another Bills coaching miracle that he isnt playing this year (ala Greer/fJackson/Jim Leonard.)

PS: The difference between the safety positions in todays NFL is very very small, and in most defenses completely interchangeable. Bottom line is a good player could succeed in either role. Whitner is not a very good player and GW is, which is why he makes plays and Whitner does not.

O yea, and I forgot. GW can cover a TE, somethign Niether Byrd nor Whitner can even pretend to do. God damnmmmit do our pro personell suck donkey nuts. They screw up our drafts, screw up our FAs, and they cannot even evauluate their own dang roster for christ sake. F you Ralph for not taking on your responsibiliity and doing anythign about it. F that schmebb Russ Brandon too. Cut them all lose - scouting players is not hard to do. W fuk people are even giving up on Spiller now, after calling me an Ahole since draft day for saying he was gonna suck - what a suprise - it was so obvious that he was going to stink, just like Maybin, McKelvin, all of them. The game they play in college just !!!!!!!SCREAMS!!!!!!!! that they will stink it up in the NFL. Meanwhile I sit there going "that guy will make the PB as a rookie" and guess what, Im right! Holy crap we couldnt be any worse even if being the worst team in teh league was our goal. I hope something happens to our FO so we can be rid of their ineptitued once and for all. And it better be before Free agency and the draft start, Because holy crap If I have to watch Ryan "where is the barn let me see if I can hit it one last time I swear I wont go 0 for 10" Mallet throw interceptions for the next 5 season I am just going to snap. Worse yet they will probably take Locker - who at best has a chance at being JP Losman. O yea, Losman, McCargo, Witner - holy Fing A holes, really?

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by Thoner7

Right on the money. It seems no one around here understands the difference between FS & SS.

Seems from what you hear about Spiller, there were alot of unusual things going on down in Clemson, Sounds like their whole game plan was heres the ball, you figure out where to go, and at a college superior talant can get away with that. In the NFL it doesn't work. Heard things how he's not use to having pays called in huddles, etc.

Did the Bills know that's what they were getting, I'm certain Clemson as any school would go out of their way to hide those types of things so not to damage recruiting. Either way the Bill's should have known that, maybe they did, maybe they didn't?? Or they at least didn't appear to realize the level is seems to be at with him and ho it's slowed down his progress.

Being that Poz has not played an entire season, this year was pretty good. I like him as one of our LB's.

And honestly, I can't think of too many LB's that can cover anyone out of the backfield. Why does Poz get such a bad rap on pass coverage? Heck, I watched Jason Campbell abuse some LB's yesterday trying to cover Raider TE's and RB's. Jason Campbell, for gosh sakes!

Whitner was a wasted draft pick. We should have selected Ngata. There. I said it. Again. But since we didn't, I'll take him for now. I don't know that he's worth $5 million/per, but unless we are considering throwing that money into a top flight offensive/defensive linemen, I say keep him. Atleast he's better than Kelsay.

Florence is hot and cold. Brilliant in his INTs and TDs, but terrible in his multiple mental farts in a game that lead to serious penalties. It hasnt been one and done with Florence when he screws up. He makes an error, then does it again, and again. I don't like that in a player.

Wrotto has played well for us. As long as its not top dollar, he could be a good salvage to hang onto.

Finally, Wilson is a good depth player.

Other than that, we could lose the rest of them.