Early 2011 NFL Mock Draft

Mark Vader

Yeah it's way to early to make these predictions. Especially since we have the East-West Shrine Game, Senior Bowl, and NFL Combine still to come. Not to mention waiting for all the underclassmen to declare. But these are always fun to look at.

According to The Bleacher Report the Buffalo Bills will have the 3rd pick overall. Have a look at who they have us taking. Thoughts?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/552644-2011-nfl-mock-draft-projecting-the-entire-1st-round

I like Mallet but I don't know if he is a franchise QB. Some of these guys I feel will go sooner than indicated and vice versa. Also we won't be picking third and fortifying the lines is more important this year, so I would go with Anthony Costonzo, Robert Quinn, Nick Fairly or Stephen Paea depending on availability and need.

Besides what Promo said, half (16) of those guys are underclassmen (14 juniors/2 sophomores) - I guess the NFL is drafting them younger every year?

(Or the kids that throw these mocks together don't bother to consider that most of those guys will return to college for another year.)

Here's Frank Coyle's top 10 mock draft, he uses current records for his order:

1 Carolina Andrew Luck QB Stanford

2 Denver Patrick Peterson CB LSU

3 Cincinnati D'Quan Bowers DE Clemson

4 Arizona Von Miller LB Texas A&M

5 Detroit Robert Quinn DE North Carolina

6 Buffalo Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas

7 San Fran Jake Locker QB Washington

8 Dallas Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa

9 Washington Nick Fairley DT Auburn

10 Houston Stephen Paea DT Oregon St

Here's Frank Coyle's top 10 mock draft, he uses current records for his order:

1 Carolina Andrew Luck QB Stanford

2 Denver Patrick Peterson CB LSU

3 Cincinnati D'Quan Bowers DE Clemson

4 Arizona Von Miller LB Texas A&M

5 Detroit Robert Quinn DE North Carolina

6 Buffalo Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas

7 San Fran Jake Locker QB Washington

8 Dallas Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa

9 Washington Nick Fairley DT Auburn

10 Houston Stephen Paea DT Oregon St

I would not be at all upset with Ryan Mallett in round one - would love it even more if we could trade back into the first round and also grab Carimi with a mid-late round one pick.

But, again, none of these mock-drafters seem to comprehend that Luck is returning to Stanford to finish his degree, and Mallett hasn't made his intentions clear at all regarding the 2011 draft. Bowers, Peterson, Quinn, and Fairley are also all underclassmen.

I like Mallet, and think that he could be a franchise Qb if he was allowed to learn behind Fitz for a year or so. But I don'treally want to see him taken this high (3) as like all qbs he has a high bust potential. I also get nervous that watching him a number of times this year, he's somewhat a product of his offense. In the Alabama or Lsu game (i forget which) he was knocked out and his backup came in and looked just as good, which is often a bad sign.

Right now the Bills are drafting 6th and failing any upset wins by them or teams in the top 5 that's where they'll be come draft day. At 6th Mallet would be less of a reach as likely the top QB, DE, and DT would all be off the board and taking any of the OTs would be a big reach, and trading down is never really that easy to do. Additionally, the Bills couldn't trade too far down and still hope to get him as I don't see mallet, or whoever is deemed the 2nd best Qb in this class, lasting too far into the teens, given all the teams with Qb issues. Min, Sea, Cin, Ari, Was, Car, Cle?, Mia?, SF?.

I'd also say if there was an OLB on the board with Clay Matthews potential they should just grab him and maybe go for a guy like Locker in the 2nd.

Edited by DC Grid

I like Mallet, and think that he could be a franchise Qb if he was allowed to learn behind Fitz for a year or so. But I don'treally want to see him taken this high (3) as like all qbs he has a high bust potential. I also get nervous that watching him a number of times this year, he's somewhat a product of his offense. In the Alabama or Lsu game (i forget which) he was knocked out and his backup came in and looked just as good, which is often a bad sign.

Right now the Bills are drafting 6th and failing any upset wins by them or teams in the top 5 that's where they'll be come draft day. At 6th Mallet would be less of a reach as likely the top QB, DE, and DT would all be off the board and taking any of the OTs would be a big reach, and trading down is never really that easy to do. Additionally, the Bills couldn't trade too far down and still hope to get him as I don't see mallet, or whoever is deemed the 2nd best Qb in this class, lasting too far into the teens, given all the teams with Qb issues. Min, Sea, Cin, Ari, Was, Car, Cle?, Mia?, SF?.

I'd also say if there was an OLB on the board with Clay Matthews potential they should just grab him and maybe go for a guy like Locker in the 2nd.

Robert Quinn. He's the 3-4 Sam LB of our dreams. Other than Luck, I'm not sure there is a better player for the Bills in this draft.

Nick Fairley going at 12? This mock is sketch.

If teams consider that Fairley only showed up on the eve of payday then he could slip. I want no part of that guy in round 1. There isn't a more risky move than paying mega-millions out to rookie DE's and DT's. Some positions, like OT and even NT can be effective with less than full effort because of sheer size and strength. Others can excel with less than full effort thru superior athleticism(skill players).

But DE's and DT's need to give great effort virtually all the time to make a difference and that is a huge challenge. I mean let's face it, a GREAT pass rushing season for a defensive end is still less than one sack per game, so in order to make an impact they really can't be giving plays away.

It helps if they have a dangling carrot for motivation. Making them fat and happy before they ever play a down is as risky as it gets.

Strange thing is, this mock was put together yesterday.

Did you happen to check by whom?

Link-Chris Faig's Sporstswriter's Profile

A Senior at St. Thomas Aquinas College - Fan of the Florida Gators(Football), New York Jets, Seton Hall Basketball, and the New Jersey Nets - A Fan of all sports with Basketball and Football being the favorites.

Any incompetent boob can trow together a mock-draft and post it on the 'net - many of the scouting reports and mock-drafts that find their way to TSW are actually written by 14-year-old (or younger) kids - yet folks post them here as if they've discovered something profound. This mock-draft is a perfect example - written by a college-senior/sports fan who has the Bills picking 3rd (even though were currently in the 6th spot and will probably draft in the 10th spot), and half the players in his round one are underclassmen that won't even be drafted until April 2012!

Robert Quinn. He's the 3-4 Sam LB of our dreams. Other than Luck, I'm not sure there is a better player for the Bills in this draft.

i know he is maybe the next lawrence taylor, but i stay away of any other one year wonder, maybe i´ll prefer a guy like dareus, or any other senior that are pretty good a guy looks like phil hansen of the 90s that a lb that could be the next cornelius bennet, bryce paup or could be a guy like maybust 50/50, is too risk for me.......