Brohm should start last 2 games

I had thought this at first but have since changed my mind.

It is just as easy to believe that they found Fitz to be the best answer. Therefore, Trent was a backup and we all know how good Trent was here towards the end of his career with us. Between Brohm and Edwards neither supported a case for a consistant and trustworthy backup.

I think it was not neccessarily a vote of confidence in Brohm but more the decision to cut baggage and look what the other options held holding to find a trophy. Before this season you could hardly look at any of the QB's on this roster as a solid starter; at least now we are beginning to trust Fitzy.

OK, I can't argue with any of this, but what made you change your mind about how the Bills feel regarding Brohm? I can't see anything that has happened to change my mind about that. Have the Bills said or done anything to show they don't like BB?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had thought this at first but have since changed my mind.

It is just as easy to believe that they found Fitz to be the best answer. Therefore, Trent was a backup and we all know how good Trent was here towards the end of his career with us. Between Brohm and Edwards neither supported a case for a consistant and trustworthy backup.

I think it was not neccessarily a vote of confidence in Brohm but more the decision to cut baggage and look what the other options held holding to find a trophy. Before this season you could hardly look at any of the QB's on this roster as a solid starter; at least now we are beginning to trust Fitzy.

I'd suggest it's a little of both. Yeah, they almost had to cut Trent. When you have a marginal starting QB and bench him, the last thing you want is players second guessing the decision when you're 2, 3, 4 losses down the road and the former starter is sitting over there saying he's healthy and ready to play. So, you get rid of him and remove all doubt that you're moving forward - for better or worse.

However, they had to have some amount of confidence in Brohm to think he could be a viable back up. Otherwise, you don't make the cut or you go and get a backup. You just can't go through the whole season with someone you have zero confidence in as your backup QB (unless you have Manning or Favre starting because they never miss a game). So, they had to like what they saw in Brohm enough to make him #2 and not bring in anyone to challenge him for that spot.

Personally, I fully expected to see Brohm starting by the bye week. But, Fitz has been a very pleasant surprise and is making it awful hard for anyone to unseat him. At this point, I wouldn't be upset at all if they went into next season with Fitz and Brohm #1 and #2, respectively, again.

However, they had to have some amount of confidence in Brohm to think he could be a viable back up.

I struggle to convey my thoughts, but if you are saying that the coaching staff had more confidence in Brohm then they did Edwards then I am still puzzled. The day before they cut Edwards I think everyone had more confidence in a grilled cheese. Saying that they had more trust in Brohm then they did in Edwards is just like saying a brick will fall faster then a toothpick. Edwards was done in Buffalo and every one knew it. The only reason he was cut was like you said, to keep from raising drama.

I struggle to convey my thoughts, but if you are saying that the coaching staff had more confidence in Brohm then they did Edwards then I am still puzzled. The day before they cut Edwards I think everyone had more confidence in a grilled cheese. Saying that they had more trust in Brohm then they did in Edwards is just like saying a brick will fall faster then a toothpick. Edwards was done in Buffalo and every one knew it. The only reason he was cut was like you said, to keep from raising drama.

Still, you said you initially thought the Bills had interest in Brohm. (At least that's what I thought you meant.) If you once thought that, what happened to make you change your mind?

Still, you said you initially thought the Bills had interest in Brohm. (At least that's what I thought you meant.) If you once thought that, what happened to make you change your mind?

Currently:

To me it seemed the interest was nothing more then a better upside then Edwards. In my opinion Edwards is a better QB then Brohm, but no matter how much better he was his chances of success in B-lo were far less Brohms.

Initially:

I was looking at what Brohm offered us in potential alone. His college stats, the hype on the board, everything. I thought it was purely a vote of confidence in that he was going to compete with Fitz. I thought there was something the Bills saw in him and he would be starting after the bye week, like Dan said. I did not doubt Fitz. I doubted the coaching staff and viewed this as the group throwing as much at the wall as they can and seeing what sticks. That doesn't mean Brohm is poo, that just means you're desperate and has no reflection on his abilities.

Make better sense?

It's pretty much what Washington is doing by benching McNabb in favor of Grossman. They are intentiaonally losing for a better draft pick, but trying to disguise it, even though it's pretty transparent. I agree with it though. Fitz gives the Bills a better chance to win, but put Brohm in to see if he is worthy of a roster spot as well as please the "guy on the bench is always better" fans...

You make a good point about trying to find out what Brohm can show. (Gosh it's hard to concentrate while staring at your avatar) Imo the thing is that with Fitz starting and getting the snaps it allows us to see what other young guys have to offer such as the wide receiver corps. It's very much needed to find out what these young guys can do and Fitz gives them the opportunity to show their worth. If Brohm starts the last two games then we might not see the quality throws to the receivers that the coaches desire to evaluate them.

Also with Brohm at the helm we would most likely be playing from behind from the get go and the opposing team would just start running the ball. We will therefor not be able to evaluate our pass rush further. I would be ok with evaluating our wide outs more with less evaluation of Brohm. There are pros and cons to both views. Honestly it is a little discomforting not knowing what kind of quality we have behind Fitz. But maybe the coaching staff already knows this? We will see by what happens in FA and in the draft.

In the end I would rather our team learn a winning attitude. And evaluate talent while trying to win.

Yeah, let's keep trotting out those guys who have done such an outstanding job and won all those games this year. With that kind of thinking we can just skip the drafts cause we got some guys who are putting it all togather and will win 12 games......over the next 5 years.

Geez, we might have some better players sitting on the sidelines cause we gotta keep playing our illustrious all-stars who got us a few wins this year.

Some fans deserve what they get.

I'm sorry, probably didn't explain myself well enough. I agree Trent was shot, here. They almost had to get rid of him. But, they also had to have some confidence in Brohm as the backup because they didn't bring in someone else. In this league, it's almost a matter of when, not if, you're gonna play backup QB. So, you've got to have some level of confidence in your backup. Therefore, I think Chan is fine with Brohm as a backup.

I'm sorry, probably didn't explain myself well enough. I agree Trent was shot, here. They almost had to get rid of him. But, they also had to have some confidence in Brohm as the backup because they didn't bring in someone else. In this league, it's almost a matter of when, not if, you're gonna play backup QB. So, you've got to have some level of confidence in your backup. Therefore, I think Chan is fine with Brohm as a backup.

Agreed.

Another reason I think they like Brohm, at least a little bit, is they kept him on the opening day roster. Trent was #1 and Fitz had already proven to be a serviceable #2. They could have kept the younger Levi Brown, who they drafted and kept him on the practice squad and off the opening day roster. Or they could have picked up someone else off of waivers/practice squads/etc. By keeping Brohm, it suggests they liked him, at least a little bit.

I have neither seen nor heard anything that would make me think they have changed their opinion of him.

Agreed.

Another reason I think they like Brohm, at least a little bit, is they kept him on the opening day roster. Trent was #1 and Fitz had already proven to be a serviceable #2. They could have kept the younger Levi Brown, who they drafted and kept him on the practice squad and off the opening day roster. Or they could have picked up someone else off of waivers/practice squads/etc. By keeping Brohm, it suggests they liked him, at least a little bit.

I have neither seen nor heard anything that would make me think they have changed their opinion of him.

Absolutely, there's nothing out there on the interwebs to suggest that Chan and company don't like Brohm. In fact, all evidence (he made the team and moved up to season-long #2) suggests they're quite satisfied with him, IMO. It'll be very telling, to say the least, to see what they do in the draft regarding the QB position. I really can't see them bringing in a FA to backup Fitz. So, whether or not they draft someone could say everything about what the feeling is towards Brohm.

With just 2 games remaining Fitz has cemented his status as the starting QB, we aren't going to the playoff, perhaps we should take the last 2 games to see what Brohm and Levi can do, as well as the rest of the rookies and other non starting guys.

Jehuu Caulcrick is another one we should try running a bit more he is a big physical back, and locals would get a kick out of seeing him run for 100 yards given that he came from Clymer NY in Chautauqua County.

I'd like to see Fred Jackson get his 1000 yards because he deserves it.

Please stop posting...thanks

You could be right. But I can't see any evidence the Bills aren't impressed with Brohm. The dumping of Trent showed they like him at least a little, IMO. He might have had a chance to show us something if Fitz hadn't stepped up. While I'd like to know what Brohm can do, I'm happier knowing we have at least one QB that can get the job done.

I haven't seen or heard any evidence from the brain trust about Brohm, at all. From my perspective, the roaring silence IS the evidence. Getting rid of Trent was the easier of the two decisions. Brohm hasn't had the chance to show whether or not he's a head case. Trent removed all doubts. The biggest thing in Brohm's favor is his familiarity with the play book, coaching staff & players. To take the #2 spot away from Brohm, someone is going to have to come in and be clearly better than Brohm in terms of talent and command of the position.

I'm not knocking Brohm and I would be interested to see what he can do. I'm just not sold on the idea of fornicating with the offensive chemistry of the team for no goddam reason other than to see what's behind the green curtain. At least not for the last two games of the year when we have the chance to make a statement to the Pats & Jets that NEXT year, you are NOT gonna wanna playus.

YES! Finally, someone is exhibiting some sense around here.

Bench Fitz to give the coaching staff a better look at what the second/third string can do in real game situations, but for heaven's sake don't stop there.

Bench Wood, Jackson, McIntyre, D. Nelson, Bell, Levitre, Wrotto, and that pain-in-the-azz Steve Johnson. Put Stroud, Spencer Johnson, Kelsay, Ayodele, Posluzny, Moats, Mcgee, Drayton Florence,Byrd and Whitener on the pine. And let's not forget to sit that lump-of-poorly-performing-poop Kyle Williams.

YES! Let's let the world see what our scrubs can do against two playoff-bound teams in the last two friggin' games of the year. They should be instant sellouts.

Oh, I forgot to mention Moorman and LIndell. Cut their azzes and find some undrafted FA kickers to put in. There's got to be plenty of them hanging around somewhere.

Brilliant! I love seahorses and seashells.

I think if the Bills are winning by 21 or more and controlling the game, or losing by 21, in the 4th quarter w/no sign of life, they should get Brohm some work. I liked what I saw in Preseason, and think he just may be the next Bills starting QB (if Fitz doesn't have a long run).

But Fitz is really still learning to be a starting QB (so far so very good) and needs to keep playing. And the Bills are just starting to learn to win, and really should continue to concentrate on that at the moment.

+1

Football is a game of pride.

You don't bench your starter who has won 4 out last 6 and kept the team very close against better teams since the bye.

Just don't, and say you didn't

The chances of blowing the next two games out to a "safe" lead and seeing Brohm are fairly small I think.