9/11 First responders Bill

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone step away from their ranting for a second to let me know how many people are to be covered by this $7.4 billion dollar fund?

p.s. Jon Stewart must be so relieved to have the Republicans in charge of the House. I'm sure even he was starting to wear thin on Sarah Palin jokes.

http://thomas.loc.go...z?c111:H.R.847:

It closes a tax loophole on foreign owned corporations doing business in the US. Essentially evening the playing field a bit between them and US owned corporations. Probably the reason the Republicans are voting against the bill is because the Chamber of Commerce opposes it.

Thanks, but that didn't really answer my question (and much like a member of Congress, I really don't want to read the whole bill). Let's have another bill to debate taxes on foreign corporations. I was just wondering where the proposed $7.4 billion was going, if in fact that number actually means anything.

As long as the media itself keeps doing stupid stuff, The Daily Show will never run out of material.

Especially since the Daily Show has become just another stupid media outlet.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.847:

It closes a tax loophole on foreign owned corporations doing business in the US. Essentially evening the playing field a bit between them and US owned corporations. Probably the reason the Republicans are voting against the bill is because the Chamber of Commerce opposes it.

As long as the media itself keeps doing stupid stuff, The Daily Show will never run out of material.

Tax loophole? What the !@#$ are you talking about now, monkey? There's no tax loophole closed in that bill.

Good Lord, what a stupid bill. Get this, the guy building the "Ground Zero Mosque" is eligible for coverage under the provisions of this bill. :lol:

Sry, I could not find any articles on it, I gave you the best I had.

So in other words, you are upset about Republicans blocking a bill despite having no idea what the bill is really about, other than some vague "9-11 First Responders" reference?

So in other words, you are upset about Republicans blocking a bill despite having no idea what the bill is really about, other than some vague "9-11 First Responders" reference?

Yes, basically it is the same logic that he and PBills apply to making their arguments. They see that their political masters and pundits criticize something from across the aisle, they don't consider the other sides argument but rather the spin from their masters, and then accept it as fact without thinking it through.

This is what we call a textbook case of being a "lemming".

Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act

what we're left with is a debate about a funding mechanism. The way the bill is currently shaped, Democrats pay for the health costs for 9/11 heroes by closing tax loopholes for foreign businesses that do business in the United States. This has drawn the ire of Republicans and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which has demanded the loopholes remain in place.

Collins, in effect, has told Gillibrand and other Dems that the bill can pass if they pay for it some other way, and yesterday, talks for an alternative funding mechanism appeared to be progressing. Details are a little sketchy, but the new plan would apparently include new visa fees and a 2% fee on some procurement contracts.

link

some Shep Smith outrage

more extensive Shep on huffpo

ShepHuffpo

Yes, basically it is the same logic that he and PBills apply to making their arguments. They see that their political masters and pundits criticize something from across the aisle, they don't consider the other sides argument but rather the spin from their masters, and then accept it as fact without thinking it through.

This is what we call a textbook case of being a "lemming".

really douche bag... are you for blocking this bill?

Oh by the way, there was no DNC statement or talking point sent out for me to call you a douche bag.. did that all on my own.

Edited by pBills

really douche bag... are you for blocking this bill?

Oh by the way, there was no DNC statement or talking point sent out for me to call you a douche bag.. did that all on my own.

I don't know enough about this bill to have an informed opinion, lemming.

Tax loophole? What the !@#$ are you talking about now, monkey? There's no tax loophole closed in that bill.

Good Lord, what a stupid bill. Get this, the guy building the "Ground Zero Mosque" is eligible for coverage under the provisions of this bill. :lol:

From a cost summary:

"Under current law, certain payments (principally dividends, interest, and royalties) made by US-based entities to a parent company based overseas are subject to a 30 percent withholding tax. That requirement customarily is reduced or eliminated when the payment is made to a country with which the US has a tax treaty. Companies with parents based in tax haven countries are able to effectively bypass the withholding tax by routing payments through an affiliate in a tax treaty country, which then transfers the funds to the parent company. The provision would limit this practice by retaining the withholding tax on certain deductible payments (principally interest and royalties) to a foreign-based affiliate unless the tax would be reduced under a treaty if the payment were made directly to the company’s parent corporation." full text

What am I missing?

"The WTC program (as created by the bill) will provide: (1) medical monitoring and treatment benefits to eligible emergency responders and recovery and cleanup workers who responded to the World Trade Center terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, and (2) initial health evaluation, monitoring, and treatment benefits to residents and other building occupants and area workers who were directly impacted and adversely affected by such attacks." (again, from the summary)

I don't know much about the guy building the Ground Zero Mosque, but I'd assume he can prove that he was directly and adversely impacted by the attack (as defined in the bill). If so, yes, he should be eligible for coverage.

From a cost summary:

"Under current law, certain payments (principally dividends, interest, and royalties) made by US-based entities to a parent company based overseas are subject to a 30 percent withholding tax. That requirement customarily is reduced or eliminated when the payment is made to a country with which the US has a tax treaty. Companies with parents based in tax haven countries are able to effectively bypass the withholding tax by routing payments through an affiliate in a tax treaty country, which then transfers the funds to the parent company. The provision would limit this practice by retaining the withholding tax on certain deductible payments (principally interest and royalties) to a foreign-based affiliate unless the tax would be reduced under a treaty if the payment were made directly to the company’s parent corporation." full text

What am I missing?

"The WTC program (as created by the bill) will provide: (1) medical monitoring and treatment benefits to eligible emergency responders and recovery and cleanup workers who responded to the World Trade Center terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, and (2) initial health evaluation, monitoring, and treatment benefits to residents and other building occupants and area workers who were directly impacted and adversely affected by such attacks." (again, from the summary)

I don't know much about the guy building the Ground Zero Mosque, but I'd assume he can prove that he was directly and adversely impacted by the attack (as defined in the bill). If so, yes, he should be eligible for coverage.

Much needed and deserved.