Obscure Bills players from the past

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

Same with the guy who came from VaTech a few years ago and was even

shot and then got cut....LB converted to DE...

162508[/snapback]

That was Cory Moore drafted in the third round in 2000. Another "tweener" a term I hope I never hear used again in refference to a Bills player....bust,bust,bust

:lol:   :P  :) thanks...for allowing me to win a bet

162617[/snapback]

No problem. :P I knew you were rolling with laughter when you posted Bennett, Thus my response.

My God ! Seems 80 % of this board probably can't name 10 guys on the current team, let alone anyone from 10 years back, besides Kelly. You do know the Bills started playing football in 1960, correct ? This team has a great and glorious history, littered with many great names who were hardly obscure. Ones opinions would carry some weight, if you actually knew a few players names beyond Kelly, Bledsoe and McGahee. :lol: . Many of those players mentioned were very popular, household names in this town for long periods of time.

No problem.  :D  I knew you were rolling with laughter when you posted Bennett, Thus my response.

My God ! Seems 80 % of this board probably can't name 10 guys on the current team, let alone anyone from 10 years back, besides Kelly. You do know the Bills started playing football in 1960, correct ?  This team has a great and glorious history, littered with many great names who were hardly obscure. Ones opinions would carry some weight, if you actually knew a few players names beyond Kelly, Bledsoe and McGahee.  :lol: .  Many of those players mentioned were very popular, household names in this town for long periods of time.

163796[/snapback]

So what you are saying is that there REALLY is no obscure Bill?

How about RB, Andy Reid? Could it be that same Andy Reid? :D

:D

As much as Buffalo is steeped in history... I don't think anybody could keep the kickers in the mid 1970's straight...

Here... I finally found the kicker's name I was looking for earlier in the thread... remember? Those were the "revolving" kicker years after Leypoldt left during 1976... Benny Ricardo, George Jakowenko, Neil O'Donoghue, Carson Long, Tom Dempsey... Some stability finally came with Nick Mick-Mayer (during '79):

I used to just love saying this guy's name as it rolled off your tonngue...

GEORGE JAKOWENKO

Jakowenko, George

Height: 5-9

Weight: 175

born: Jun 26, 1948 Charleroi, Belgium

High School: Nyack (NY)

College: Syracuse

YEAR TEAM GP GS POS

1974 OAK N 6 0 K

1976 BUF N 11 0 K

2 Years 17 0

Playoffs 2 0

SCORING TD 1X 1XA 2X FG FGA SAF PTS

1976 BUF N 0 21 24 12 17 0 57

How is that for obscue?...

Also, are the Bills from the late 1940's AAFC teams fair game? ;);)

On another note... Stumbled upon this NFL oddity: 1948 NFL BOSTON YANKS... HUH???? :lol:

:D

Man I thought he was going to be good.  How disappointing.

164079[/snapback]

And what sucks is that we didn't even get any value in return for him. One of the few busts in Polian/Butler scouting regime. But on the bright side, that and Burkett's stupidity allowed a spot for Lofton.

Talk about a great way to help build a team, trading truly obscure players to get legit starters - Roland Mitchell for Leonard Smith, Byron Franklin for Metz.

So what you are saying is that there REALLY is no obscure Bill?

No, he's saying that many of the names listed in this thread are far from obscure. If anything, it's an insult to the memory of players who were long time starters on very good teams to be included in an "obscure" players thread.

Jim Braxton, obscure? Please.

Guest Guest_TDWI_*

WHY HASN'T ANYBODY MENTIONED JOEY LUMPKIN YET? THE MOST UNDERRATED LINEBACKER IN BILLS HISTORY!

ALSO, HOW ABOUT MATT VANDENBOOM?

No, he's saying that many of the names listed in this thread are far from obscure.  If anything, it's an insult to the memory of players who were long time starters on very good teams to be included in an "obscure" players thread.

Jim Braxton, obscure?  Please.

164143[/snapback]

I agree... I See your point... My comment was more tongue-in-cheek.