Obscure Bills players from the past

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith Moody, the great return man of the '70s and later Brockport State's head coach.

160735[/snapback]

Moody didn't leave that great of a legacy up here either. I figure i'll take another crack at this.

Filmel Johnson.

Chris Walsh

Adam Lingner (nice guy)

Matt Darby

Keith Goganious

Trey Junkin (still around long snapping 20 years later)

McKeller works at the Honda dealership here in Winston-Salem, NC. Next time, I'm in there I'll ask him about it.

the K-Gun was named for Keith "Killer" McKeller, or so said Jim Kelly in his autobiography "Armed and Dangerous"

156126[/snapback]

Someone mentioned Matt Darby, but how about:

LB Ray Bently and "Darby the Dinosaur"?

And as long as we are talking Al Edwards and Russel Copeland, how about:

WR Chris Walsh

Meanwhile, the answer is:

TEs Vince Marrow and Rob Coons

The question:

Who were the backups to "Friggin'" Lonnie Johnson? (Eat your heart out Ken Jennings!)

And of course my favorite obscure Bill of all-time.... DT John Dominic.

JDG

Hey what about the legendary Pitt guy Pete Gonzalez ...........he never made it out of training camp and was a worse QB than Matt Rodgers

Other winners from the Bills include:

Al Cowlings

Amir Rasul

Eddie Fuller

Sheldon Jackson

Eric Smedley

and of course Victor Allotey ---I think he spent 13 years on the practice squad

Butch Byrd, not obscure, one of our all-time great CBs, was a mechanic in the off-season at a Chrysler dealer at Hertel & Delaware. My neighbor was a salesman there.

Sestak & Maguire had a restaurant/pizza place in Kenmore.

It's funny to hear Paul Maguire talk about those old days, where players came to camp in July to GET in shape! After goofing off for 6 months.

Guest Southern Man.......

I didn't see this here... and how can you forget: Tom Cousineau

He was the first pick of the draft THEN NEVER played for Bflo... he signed in the CFL. He returned to NFL and played for a while, but was a disappointment in a similar way to Erik Flowers.

BUT............he still indirectly played a huge role in Bills glory years of the mid-80's through mid-90's.

In exchange for trading his rights to the Browns (his hometown), the Bills received a compensatory 1st round draft choice in the 1983 draft. With their first pick (their own) they chose TE Tony Hunter (bust), but with the late 1st round pick obtained for Cousineau, they took Jim Kelly - who took a detour though the USFL before becoming Mr. All-Time Buffalo Bill.

Thank God Cousineau chose the money in Montreal over coming to Buffalo. As much as we all play the "what if" game with the miscues in superbowl XXV, WHAT IF Cousineau had decided to make his football home in Buffalo? Probably no Kelly or superbowls.

BTW - Cousineau was taken with one of the multiple picks aquired from the 49'ers for getting O.J. Indirectly, O.J. Simpson's value in trade led to the drafting of Kelly. O.J.'s success could be linked to the re-hiring of Lou Saban who saved O.J.s faltering career with his arrival in 1972. Saban was also the guy who recruited Kelly to play QB at U of Miami. The circle is complete.

Put Lou Saban on the Wall of Fame for God's sake.

BTW part 2 - Did Carlester Crumpler ever play for he Bills? I definitely remember the name, yet he doesn't appear on any Bills all-time roster (from the media guide). Was he a preseason washout who never made the roster? He's got to be # 1 on this thread's obscure list, since he has that memorable name, but never played. Of course his son is now a star TE for the Falcons. And since Carlester makes my list as # 1 (name recognition and no playing time). # 2 has to be the defensive back out of Princeton, Dean Cain, who was the late 80's TVs Superman. He was cut during 1987 training camp following an injury. Never made the final roster. Cain is one those guys on TV who, when asked, always (still) supports the Bills.

Now, I turn you back to our usual stupidity.

K-GUN was named after Keith McKeller... As much as it might seem the "K" stand for Kelly... but the K-Gun was a formation not an offense...

Here is a dirrect quote from Marv himself...

When I coached, tight ends were huge for us. We had Pete Metzelaars and Keith McKeller, who was like Gates and played basketball in college. When you hear the term "K-Gun," that meant that Keith was going into the game. We used our tight ends as receivers, but maybe not to the degree you see Gonzalez and Gates used. But an offense cannot function without a good tight end.