Offensive line much improved

I keep hearing everyone talk about how bad our offensive line is when I don't think it's the case at all. The Bills have been doing a very good job even though they have had to patchwork the line for several of the games this season. I think we found some up and comers in Wrotto and Urbick. There have been only 4 other QB's sacked less than Fitz that have thrown over 300 balls. Our #1 RB is averaging 4.3 a carry. I think Fitzpatrick has a lot to do with the line looking so good, along with an upgrade in coaching but let's give the line some credit and stop bashing them for things that went on before this season.

I keep hearing everyone talk about how bad our offensive line is when I don't think it's the case at all. The Bills have been doing a very good job even though they have had to patchwork the line for several of the games this season. I think we found some up and comers in Wrotto and Urbick. There have been only 4 other QB's sacked less than Fitz that have thrown over 300 balls. Our #1 RB is averaging 4.3 a carry. I think Fitzpatrick has a lot to do with the line looking so good, along with an upgrade in coaching but let's give the line some credit and stop bashing them for things that went on before this season.

Good post. The D-line and the LB corps are the weakness on the team right now.

The Bills are 25th in the NFL in time of possession. Much of this is due to their weakness on the OL, especially at OT. This is unacceptable, especially for a team that plays in the elements.

The Bills are 25th in the NFL in time of possession. Much of this is due to their weakness on the OL, especially at OT. This is unacceptable, especially for a team that plays in the elements.

I think you're reaching a bit, Bill.

Let's be fair about this; coming into yesteday's game, Buffalo:

- Ranked 12th in the league in fewest sacks allowed

- Ranked 12th in the league in overall rushing yards

- Ranked 9th in the league in yds/carry

- Ranked 1st in the league in "Power" rushes (rushes on 3rd or 4th down with 2 or fewer yards to go that achieved a first down or TD)

I'm not saying the OL is perfect, and I don't believe the OP is either, but there is absolutely no question that the line is MUCH improved from last season.

It's due to three factors...run defense, lack of turnovers, and poor yards per carry. They have picked it up in all three phases and are winning the TOP now.

There is only one question to answer about any o-line. Will they THRIVE in the playoffs against the top defenses? If the answer is no then they are not good enough. If the goal is a championship then that is the question. We already know that they are good enough to be 3 and 10. As far as Fitz not getting sacked, come on man. You will never get to the playoffs if all your line can do is block for 2 and 3 step drops. To be a champion we need to compare ourselves to the best in our own division, and that is the Patriots. Our pass blocking is abysmal compared to them. Unfair comparison? One team is streaking to the playoffs and the other to a top 5 pick. 3 and 10, but our o-line is good. I don't think so.

The defense plays a big part in this also. There are very few three and outs.

Almost all of the Bills supposed "shortcomings" on offense are not related to the offense. They're related to the defense. We trail in time of possession because our defense lets teams use a run-first strategy. They allow long drives, fail to stop opponents on 3rd and long, and until recently trailed the league in turnovers.

Every single one of these defensive weaknesses factors into our offense's ranking in time of possession, points scored, TDs and more. When our offense is on the field, they score points. Not always, but on pace with other good offenses. If our defense gave them the ball more, we'd be in the top third in the league.

Just watch: We fix the run D and maybe boost the pass rush (Moats?), and this offense matches anybody in the league.

Almost all of the Bills supposed "shortcomings" on offense are not related to the offense. They're related to the defense. We trail in time of possession because our defense lets teams use a run-first strategy. They allow long drives, fail to stop opponents on 3rd and long, and until recently trailed the league in turnovers.

Every single one of these defensive weaknesses factors into our offense's ranking in time of possession, points scored, TDs and more. When our offense is on the field, they score points. Not always, but on pace with other good offenses. If our defense gave them the ball more, we'd be in the top third in the league.

Just watch: We fix the run D and maybe boost the pass rush (Moats?), and this offense matches anybody in the league.

None of what you stated has anything to do with our lousy run blocking. Our line gets blown off the ball more often than not on running plays.

I disagree.

How were the averages of the K-gun Bills in time of possession?

Jerry Jones had an interesting quote on 60 minutes last night..."stats are for losers."

Time of possession means absolutely nothing if you are winning games.

Bill: Any thoughts on #76 Rhinehardt. He was moving the pile pretty well at the end of the game. I was impressed with his snapshot appearence.

I don't know about Bill, but apparently Chan was impressed enough with Rinehart that he's making him the starter at RG.

And I'd like to see what these guys can do with a healthy off-season and the chance to work together throughout, before I start calling to replace anyone (with the exception of RT). It looks like Bell, Levitre, and Wood are set at LT, LG, and C, and they're young and should only improve with more playing time and (Bell and Wood) being further removed from injury. That leaves RG as a battle between Hangman, Urbik, and now it seems Rinehart, with the 2 non-starters being good depth. The key is finding a RT, whether it be Wrotto, Wang, or a FA pickup or draftee.

Edited by Doc

None of what you stated has anything to do with our lousy run blocking. Our line gets blown off the ball more often than not on running plays.

I don't disagree that our offensive line needs to improve. I think ROT is the most urgent need there. But I'm in the "fix the defense first" camp. Between free agency and a draft, we should both be able to get some of what we want.

I don't know about Bill, but apparently Chan was impressed enough with Rinehart that he's making him the starter at RG.

And I'd like to see what these guys can do with a healthy off-season and the chance to work together throughout, before I start calling to replace anyone (with the exception of RT). It looks like Bell, Levitre, and Wood are set at LT, LG, and C, and they're young and should only improve with more playing time and (Bell and Wood) being further removed from injury. That leaves RG as a battle between Hangman, Urbik, and now it seems Rinehart, with the 2 non-starters being good depth. The key is finding a RT, whether it be Wrotto, Wang, or a FA pickup or draftee.

+1

Except for RT and possibly guard. I believe that will be a 2 man battle between Urbik and Hang, but we shouldn't limit ourselves if a good rookie comes out. But, i do agree Rt is a huge concern and a good TE will make this line THAT much better.