Don Criqui---worst announcing job in NFL history today...

Big Turk

For those who had the pleasure of not watching the game today, you missed one of, if not THE worst announcing jobs in the history of the NFL today. Don Criqui was so bad, I almost thought he was doing it on purpose. He inexplicably kept saying "they are close to a first down" or "Its going to depend on the spot of the ball", when the ball was clearly a yard or two past the first down marker and the only person in the stadium who was unsure whether or not it was a first down was Criqui. Must have happened at least 8 to 10 times during the game, and at one point like 3 or 4 first downs in a row on one of the Bills drives. They made no mention of how the Bills got jobbed out of a TD when the officials reversed the ruling on the field and called Delhomme's forward pass a fumble, and there was little if any insights into the game, other than how the Browns' Hillis has had fumbling problems this season. That was basically the extent of the commentary. If was really, really bad, and seemed as if they were just very unprepared to do their jobs properly. Almost bordered on being unprofessional, IMHO.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who had the pleasure of not watching the game today, you missed one of, if not THE worst announcing jobs in the history of the NFL today. Don Criqui was so bad, I almost thought he was doing it on purpose. He inexplicably kept saying "they are close to a first down" or "Its going to depend on the spot of the ball", when the ball was clearly a yard or two past the first down marker and the only person in the stadium who was unsure whether or not it was a first down was Criqui. Must have happened at least 8 to 10 times during the game, and at one point like 3 or 4 first downs in a row on one of the Bills drives. They made no mention of how the Bills got jobbed out of a TD when the officials reversed the ruling on the field and called Delhomme's forward pass a fumble, and there was little if any insights into the game, other than how the Browns' Hillis has had fumbling problems this season. That was basically the extent of the commentary. If was really, really bad, and seemed as if they were just very unprepared to do their jobs properly. Almost bordered on being unprofessional, IMHO.

I knda miss the days of Frank and Al and Dan . . .

I thought the same thing they also made it sound like the Browns were Super Bowl contenders to. :doh:

It seems like every Sunday, somebody posts something exactly like this, about whatever broadcast team worked the Bills game...ZZZZZZZzzzzzz

Maybe we expect too much out of a broadcast team? What exactly do you expect? I guarantee, if you name the best broadcasters in the business, somebody here will vehemently disagree with you...they are all great, and they all suck! To me, it is kind of irrelevant if Criqui got the ball spot wrong more than once...I really don't need these guys to tell me all that much. I will say, I just like the sound of Criquis voice. It conjures up better days of yore for the Bills...

I knda miss the days of Frank and Al and Dan . . .

Everybody hated them too!

Edited by Buftex

Criqui's not bad...he does evoke memories of the glory days.

Seriously? Criqui truly is the worst announcer in football. He's done a couple of Bills games this season (which should tell you something right there) and has been utterly horrible every single time. Beuerlein's always correcting him. A lot of announcers are bad, but Criqui truly is awful.

Yes during the game I mentioned to my wife after more than a few of his comments that he must be mentally challenged. I know we are bad so we get the worst, and when we play another bad team that just makes it even worse. So we got the bottom of the pile for play by play, but on a side note, steve tasker seems to be calling allot more of the bigger games, so good for him.

So lets see, w ca now start a list of al lthe announcers we don't want.

Based on all the commnets written here, have to start out with:

Tasker, Wilcox, now lets add Criqui

Porbably best they just don't bother broadcast our games at all this will keep everyone happy.

Take off your rose I mean Bill's colored glasses and just watch the game.

I thought the same thing they also made it sound like the Browns were Super Bowl contenders to. :doh:

Well, part of Criquis job is to keep viewers watching. Since this game was broadcast, primarily in the Celveland, OH area, how dumb would it be for him to be ripping on the Browns the entire game? This was not likely a very highly viewed game today (not sure how the NFL satallite package factors into NFL viewer ratings), so you would assume, the majority who watched, were doing so, because they are Browns fans. Catering to the base?

Edited by Buftex

Tough day for the Buffalo born, St. Joes grad who must be in his mid 60's by now.

Maybe the network teams don't spend much time preparing for the Bills broadcast, since they know so little of the USA sees the games anyway.

" To build a school on Kenmore Avenue, is to build no school at all. " - Rev. James Van Dyke, S.J.

I do wonder at times if Criqui - being from WNY - goes out of his way to seem impartial, or if he's truly awful.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam!!!!! 0:)

Criqui was awful. Plus it took the better part of an hour for them to realize Evans was hurt.

yeah it was funny, I saw ans holding his ankle immediately after the play on the ground and thought to myself that didn't look good, but since I heard nothing else, I figured he was OK...a quarter and a half later, they announce Evans is out for the game...

Last year after he had called a particularly bad game. I went looking for his biographical information and to my surprise, I was unable to find any dates on his birth, graduation from high school, or college.

This is highly unusual. Clearly, Criqui consider this to be closely held information.

In spite of retaining his generally youthful appearance, I wonder if he's near the end of his career.

He didnt bother me other then when he was trying to predict that in two more plays the Browns would be in the endzone.....

The only problem is they weren't and the bills stopped them on the goaline forcing a field goal......oooooops!

Yeah... That comment along with his comment about The Browns' running back Hillis playing like "a man against boys".... On the opening drive... That really pissed me off... Criqui is a loser. He is the worst I have ever heard. He makes Solloman Wilcox look good... That's not easy to do...

Yeah... That comment along with his comment about The Browns' running back Hillis playing like "a man against boys".... On the opening drive... That really pissed me off... Criqui is a loser. He is the worst I have ever heard. He makes Solloman Wilcox look good... That's not easy to do...

+1...I was ready to jump through the screen on the first drive. But who did you think was going to get that assignment? There was relatively nobody watching the game.