Howard Stern sign 5-year extension with Sirius/XM

PromoTheRobot

Who cares? When Stern left regular radio I stopped listening.

If there is one thing I am never going to pay for, it is radio (which I can listen to for free right now).

I thought the same thing until I got it. Commercial free music has ruined me. I yell at the regular radio when I am forced to listen to it.

Also, 20 million people disagree with you.

I thought the same thing until I got it. Commercial free music has ruined me. I yell at the regular radio when I am forced to listen to it.

A couple years after I first got Sirius (back in 2002) I was riding with someone that was listening to one of the local morning drive dj teams. They spent 15 minutes talking about the new Heinz ketchup bottle design. Just another reason to love Sirius.

Only about 24 hours or so after ranting about how he wouldn't take a cut in salary and moaned about his contract negotiations, Howard Stern signed a new 5-year deal with Sirius-XM. Reports put it at about $80 million per year (or $2,008 per minute, says The Daily Beast). But Stern keeps about $60 million, as he pays his staff and other production costs with the other $20 million. Stern's salary is about one-fourth of the total programming cost for all of Sirius-XM.

I feel the same way! I've had my Sirius subscription since September 2005 and I feel spoiled by having it. I won't listen to the radio in my area except for local sports. The commercial-free music is great for traveling and the NFL games give me a chance to hear the Bills if I can't watch them on TV (generally tough here in Central Illinois but I have Sunday Ticket for the second half of the season).

20 million people that don't think the way I do. I would rather spend the money on taking my kids to a museum or buying them something.

Also, 20 million people agree with you, the other 174 million in the 18 to 64 age range agree with me.

I like all the other programming that Sirius offers, but to be honest I probably would have canceled my subscription had Stern decided to retire or leave. I'd just listen to podcasts and music on my ipod. The only time I listen to regular 'free' radio anymore is for local weather and traffic.

the 2 are not mutually exclusive, many of us have kids and are able to handle having both in our lives...not to make light of anyone's financial situation, but $100/year shouldn't be something that makes or breaks little juniors expectations of going to see some artwork or exhibits, or having more stuff that they don't need......

I would rather spend the money on taking my kids to a museum or buying them something.

20 million people that don't think the way I do. I would rather spend the money on taking my kids to a museum or buying them something.

Also, 20 million people agree with you, the other 174 million in the 18 to 64 age range agree with me.

You must not have cable TV. Picking up local stations with rabbit ears will definitely allow for several more museum trips.

Shockingly, the $12/month for commercial free radio still allows room in my budget for other things.

You must not have cable TV. Picking up local stations with rabbit ears will definitely allow for several more museum trips.

Shockingly, the $12/month for commercial free radio still allows room in my budget for other things.

i was smart, bought the lifetime when it was only $359 and free to switch radios (of course, only 3 times), and it even had free internet.

Now, it costs $499 for lifetime, which can be switched 3 times to another receiver for $75 a pop, and internet is extra. It drives me nuts that it's went up so much, but I have only had one radio to fail out of the 3 receivers, of course that one was a later added one and it cost $75 to switch it, that is, until I reemed them out for throwing this fee on which they never told me. Those damn phone activation people are soooo hard to deal with.

Sorry, I just don't see the big deal with "commercial free radio".

I do pay for cable. There isn't much good on rabbit ear TV these days.

There is however plenty of good stuff on the FREE radio I listen to.

As far as my budget goes, 2 kids, and wife that is not currently working, which means we live on one salary, so, every penny counts.

There is? I can understand if you don't see paying for radio being worth it, but what is on free radio these days is largely terrible.

I completely agree. I recently ditched cable and am probably in the minority that I have sat rad and over the air TV.

I can listen to radio much more in the day then I can watch TV. To me the choice was obvious