How the heck does Modrak still have a job?

Marv Levy

I can't believe MoDOPE still has a job? Is Ralph senile???

Blurb from R D&C article sums it up:

Here's the Bills' first-round draft pick report from Sunday. 2004, Lee Evans: Invisible as usual, until the game was out of reach; 2006, John McCargo: played for the first time all season and made a tackle; 2006, Donte Whitner: Played OK, made a pick but also drew a 15-yard personal foul penalty; 2007, Marshawn Lynch: Not on roster, traded to Seattle and playing lousy there; 2008, Leodis McKelvin, played the worst game of his undistinguished career; 2009, Aaron Maybin: Hey, he was active. 2009, Eric Wood: Injured and didn't play; 2010, C.J. Spiller: 14 touches, 102 yards including returns. Way to go, Tom Modrak, good job.'

Except for Wood and CJ its a total mindboggling discrace! Most fans on this board could have picked better by just picking up a Pro Football Weekly magazine!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Modrak is incharge of the quality picks the Bills make from 3-7 and the undrafted free agents then he is doing an amazing job.

If there really is a committee approach to the 1st and 2nd picks then that committee needs to be blown up.

Whoever is drafting the late rounds should be given the early rounds as well.

It can't possibly be the same group.

The High drafts are obvious busts, well maybe just Maybin.

McDrainBramage was rated the #1 CB coming into the draft and "fell" to the Bills at #11, the other teams must have realized how dumb the young man is, and thought he might not be coachable.

Which is true, you think after the first 3 fumbled kickoff returns he'd practice better ball security.

Either way whoever is drafting late needs to get the reigns early.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Modrak just scouts and makes reports and recommendations based on what he has seen. Two years ago he was very high on Cushing, but DJ and Co. pushed for Maybin.

There is only so much Modrak can do. He isnt in charge of making the actual picks.

OK, fair enough. It just amazes me on all the draft misses this team has had the past 10 years.

You can't have that many bad drafts and not have him be repsonsable for at least some of it. I don't think I would blame him for the whitner/maybin pick.... but a lot of other things I would. Especially those 2nd round picks we missed on. He finds gems in the later rounds like kyle william, steve johnson, etc. But man, those top picks are just blah.

I think Nix and Co actually like him, and I don't see him getting fired until Nix or Ralph is gone.

If Modrak is incharge of the quality picks the Bills make from 3-7 and the undrafted free agents then he is doing an amazing job.

If there really is a committee approach to the 1st and 2nd picks then that committee needs to be blown up.

McDrainBramage was rated the #1 CB coming into the draft and "fell" to the Bills at #11, the other teams must have realized how dumb the young man is, and thought he might not be coachable.

Which is true, you think after the first 3 fumbled kickoff returns he'd practice better ball security.

Agreed on all counts. We always wonder what the hell is going on in the war room.... if we knew the truth, it would probably answer a lot of questions as to why this team is where we are.

Modrak just scouts and makes reports and recommendations based on what he has seen. Two years ago he was very high on Cushing, but DJ and Co. pushed for Maybin.

There is only so much Modrak can do. He isnt in charge of making the actual picks.

I understand what your saying, he presents information to the decision makers and they make the final decision.

The question is what is the quality of the scouting assessment? Not sure how we can know the answer to that question without being present during the evaluation. All we know for sure is the end result of the process which is the actual draft choices. However, I cannot envision a situation where a scout's superior judgement is consistently being overruled by a higher ranking member of the management team which then turns into drafting the wrong guy year after year...

2007, Marshawn Lynch: Not on roster, traded to Seattle and playing lousy there

Did the dope who wrote that even look at the boxscore from the Seattle-Carolina game? I would've LOVED to see Spiller or Jackson have a 21 carry, 83 yard, 3 TD "lousy" day yesterday!

Did the dope who wrote that even look at the boxscore from the Seattle-Carolina game? I would've LOVED to see Spiller or Jackson have a 21 carry, 83 yard, 3 TD "lousy" day yesterday!

up until yesterdays game, he hasn't been very productive.

I don't think Marv Levy's post was dope-ish.

It's probably more of a dope move to nit-pick 1 line out of an all together good post than start name calling.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I don't think Marv Levy's post was dope-ish.

It's probably more of a dope move to nit-pick 1 line out of an all together good post than start name calling.

I think he was referring to Sal M's article, not the OP's initial post.

I understand what your saying, he presents information to the decision makers and they make the final decision.

The question is what is the quality of the scouting assessment? Not sure how we can know the answer to that question without being present during the evaluation. All we know for sure is the end result of the process which is the actual draft choices. However, I cannot envision a situation where a scout's superior judgement is consistently being overruled by a higher ranking member of the management team which then turns into drafting the wrong guy year after year...

Well, we know that Lynch was hand-picked on Ralph's direct orders. We also know that Modrak was not for the Maybin pick. We also know that Whitner wasn't the "top rated" pick, but rather the pick that "everyone could live with". So there are 3 examples where the scouting department's input is being undervalued.

I'm making assumptions on this next part, but I would guess that the Scouting report (Modrak's report) is relied on much more as the draft goes on. Given our success in drafting late, and on UDFAs, it would seem like he does know what he is doing. The issue is that too many people have input on the 1st Round pick because it's the spotlight pick. If this is true, hopefully with Nix in charge now we'll see a better use of the scouts.

Of course, this is all just guessing based off of small bits of leaked info. We really dont know who to blame since we arent privy to what really happens in the war room.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Great topic. Something that has never been discussed on TSW before.

Uh.. it was against Carolina smarty! You know the team that has 1 win?

I can't believe MoDOPE still has a job? Is Ralph senile???

Blurb from R D&C article sums it up:

Here's the Bills' first-round draft pick report from Sunday. 2004, Lee Evans: Invisible as usual, until the game was out of reach; 2006, John McCargo: played for the first time all season and made a tackle; 2006, Donte Whitner: Played OK, made a pick but also drew a 15-yard personal foul penalty; 2007, Marshawn Lynch: Not on roster, traded to Seattle and playing lousy there; 2008, Leodis McKelvin, played the worst game of his undistinguished career; 2009, Aaron Maybin: Hey, he was active. 2009, Eric Wood: Injured and didn't play; 2010, C.J. Spiller: 14 touches, 102 yards including returns. Way to go, Tom Modrak, good job.'

Except for Wood and CJ its a total mindboggling discrace! Most fans on this board could have picked better by just picking up a Pro Football Weekly magazine!

Looks like D and C reads TSW...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/124148-draft-day-futility/

Not sold on this argument. First, somebody has to play the games. So, you have to put somebody out there. If you are consistently drafting busts in the first few rounds, then by necessity you must play some later round players and UDFAs. Second, it's not generally the case that these late rounders and UDFAs are All-Pros that dominate their positions and keep an above average 1st rounder on the bench with their play. It's more the case that they play because the Kiper hyped bust is just a terrible football player.

The Bills have hit on and developed some bargains though. Jason Peters, Kyle Williams, maybe Stevie Johnson, which is a stroke in their favor and some nice work by past/current coaches. It's not a unique accomplishment, but at least they've done something right with a few of these guys.

Not sold on this argument. First, somebody has to play the games. So, you have to put somebody out there. If you are consistently drafting busts in the first few rounds, then by necessity you must play some later round players and UDFAs. Second, it's not generally the case that these late rounders and UDFAs are All-Pros that dominate their positions and keep an above average 1st rounder on the bench with their play. It's more the case that they play because the Kiper hyped bust is just a terrible football player.

The Bills have hit on and developed some bargains though. Jason Peters, Kyle Williams, maybe Stevie Johnson, which is a stroke in their favor and some nice work by past/current coaches. It's not a unique accomplishment, but at least they've done something right with a few of these guys.

Notice the "If" and try reading past the first sentence.

You got a point the players on the field today could be great depth guys if we were able to hit on the early picks.

Look at Marshawn's stats since he went to Seattle. Pedestrian, average at best.

Well, we know that Lynch was hand-picked on Ralph's direct orders. We also know that Modrak was not for the Maybin pick. We also know that Whitner wasn't the "top rated" pick, but rather the pick that "everyone could live with". So there are 3 examples where the scouting department's input is being undervalued.

How do we know this?

On the other hand, Modrak did put together a draft board that graded Ngata and McCargo identically.