Say what you want about Ralph Wilson as a meddling owner

JÂy RÛßeÒ

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/11/28/week-12-monday-morning-qb/4.html

I've got to give props to owner Ralph Wilson this morning. When Wilson heard last week that I'd raised money from you readers running a half-marathon -- money that, in part, was going to fund a semi trailer full of food and household items sent by Oklahoma City-based Feed the Children to serve 400 needy Buffalo families -- he said he wanted to match that $7,500 going to Buffalo families and send another chock-full trailer. And so he did; the money will go to the Food Bank of Western New York. Feed the Children trailers will be in Buffalo and Cleveland disbursing their goods on Tuesday, with the Browns and Bills there helping. Thanks to all of you for making it happen. I'll have a couple of photos in the column next week, showing you how your donated money is helping those who need it most.

And other Bills props in the column:

I think this is what I liked about Week 12:

g. Buffalo's effort, every week. It's a little-engine-that-could team. "We feel fortunate to come away with a win,'' said Steeler coach Mike Tomlin. Feel? Try we definitely are fortunate .

h. Buffalo defensive tackle Kyle Williams, with 10 tackles and two sacks of Ben Roethlisberger ... and four holding calls against the man blocking him, Chris Kemoeatu.

Course, Stevie was his goat of the week...

one more tidbit from that, non-Bills...

10. I think these are my non-football thoughts of the week:

a. Thanks to Saranac area manager Matt Bronson and area rep Jean Marc Aubuchon for giving me a lifeline of Saranac Pumpkin Ale. Can't thank you guys enough -- and thanks, too, for introducing me to Saranac Caramel Porter. I've had milkshakes that were thinner, but not as good.

That's 1/227 of what he paid Shawn Merriman.

Had the Bills not signed Merriman, RW would have been further vilified as a cheap scumbag owner worried only about the bottom line, rather than winning games :wallbash:

(But wait, I thought it was better to lose games? :unsure: )

Good for Ralph - and Mary - the Wilsons have been very generous to WNY over the Bills 50-year existence here.

Edited by The Senator

People are going to really appreciate Ralph after he passes. That will be a very sad day.

Thank you for saying this. There is so much vitriol criticism him in the board. I am not saying the guy should be exempt from it but I believe few truly recognize how much he has supported WNY.

This was in yesterday's Monday Morning Quarterback article -

8. I think, speaking of the Bills, I've got to give props to owner Ralph Wilson this morning. When Wilson heard last week that I'd raised money from you readers running a half-marathon -- money that, in part, was going to fund a semi trailer full of food and household items sent by Oklahoma City-based Feed the Children to serve 400 needy Buffalo families -- he said he wanted to match that $7,500 going to Buffalo families and send another chock-full trailer. And so he did; the money will go to the Food Bank of Western New York. Feed the Children trailers will be in Buffalo and Cleveland disbursing their goods on Tuesday, with the Browns and Bills there helping. Thanks to all of you for making it happen. I'll have a couple of photos in the column next week, showing you how your donated money is helping those who need it most.

He also comments positively -

g. Buffalo's effort, every week. It's a little-engine-that-could team. "We feel fortunate to come away with a win,'' said Steeler coach Mike Tomlin. Feel? Try we definitely are fortunate .

h. Buffalo defensive tackle Kyle Williams, with 10 tackles and two sacks of Ben Roethlisberger ... and four holding calls against the man blocking him, Chris Kemoeatu.

Linky

Kaleida also announced today that Ralph and his wife Mary donated 1 million to the adult day care programs at Kaleida. Good stuff.

Gotta get those tax write offs in before the end of the year. I wonder if he can claim the money he donated to Shawn Merriman, since the Bills didn't get anything back for the money, it was essentially a donation too. Seems like if he would spend money on the Bills it could be a business expense, but I guess you only get partial credit for those on your tax return.