Harrison roughing penalty

CodeMonkey

Oh for Pete's sake. Every single Steeler in that photo I just put up is "leading" with their head.

Did you happen to notice that Harrison's arms are extended beyond his torso in a tackling motion? Did you happen to notice that he did not leave his feet, that they are firmly planted on the ground?

Did you happen to notice that he is SQUARELY hitting Fitz in the LEFT shoulder, in the CHEST? Good grief, it was a complete garbage call.

Did the Bills play great? YES

Will they be a solid force in the next 2 years? YES

Do I envy who you have at QB? YES

Don't ruin the game by complaining about a clean and good hit. Harrison is getting lit up for being TOO good of a player. Ridiculous.

And BTW, you do happen to notice that Harrison's crown of his helmet is BELOW Fitz's shoulder pad with the #14 showing, right? Seriously, how much lower does he have to go? Hit them in the abdomen and burst a spleen?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh for Pete's sake. Every single Steeler in that photo I just put up is "leading" with their head.

Did you happen to notice that Harrison's arms are extended beyond his torso in a tackling motion? Did you happen to notice that he did not leave his feet, that they are firmly planted on the ground?

Did you happen to notice that he is SQUARELY hitting Fitz in the LEFT shoulder, in the CHEST? Good grief, it was a complete garbage call.

You and I have apparently seen different videos of the hit. In the one I watched the facemask of Harrison's helmet hits Fitz in his upper chest and then the crown of the helmet hits him in the chin. No shoulder involved.

Did the Bills play great? YES

Will they be a solid force in the next 2 years? YES

Do I envy who you have at QB? YES

Don't ruin the game by complaining about a clean and good hit. Harrison is getting lit up for being TOO good of a player. Ridiculous.

And BTW, you do happen to notice that Harrison's crown of his helmet is BELOW Fitz's shoulder pad with the #14 showing, right? Seriously, how much lower does he have to go? Hit them in the abdomen and burst a spleen?

You're analyzing the very very first point of contact, and ignoring the following half-second of the hit.

First off, Top of the chest/shoulder area is already too high of a place to initiate a hit on a QB and is treading on being a penalty even if all Harrison does is fall down.

If you watch the video and the complete hit, he goes from where you pulled the gif and launches himself upwards, leaving his feet, and his helmet gets driven up into Fitz's facemask.

That is illegal. All there is to it.

He does not hit Fitz with a shoulder and then wrap. He launches himself into his chin, helmet first.

You can pretend to see it how you want to see it, but the truth is right there.

I respect your team and organization a lot. I wish Wilson ran our team like the Rooney's.

But that doesnt change the fact that on this play, Harrison used a dangerous technique that the league is trying to get rid of due to all of the injuries it causes. Had he used proper tackling, his helmet would have been to the side of Fitz's torso and he could have driven Fitz into the ground. Tackles using proper technique can be just as "big", if not even more devastating, when done correctly.

Harrison is either dirty, or lazy, or stupid, or a combination of the 3.

You also inspired me to grab my own screen caps of the actual hit, not the milisecond before it....

Pic 1, Immediately following your pic. Notice the top of his helmet is already hitting Fitz in the facemask. You can plainly see the black helmet against the white helmet/facemask

http://i56.tinypic.com/dqm9v5.jpg

Pic 2, Harrison begins his launch. The top of his helmet is above Fitz's collar.

http://i56.tinypic.com/wi68uu.jpg

In BOTH of those pics, the ONLY part of Harrison that is touching Fitz is his helmet. Maybe his hands. Certainly NOT Harrison's shoulders or arms, which would be an indication of a proper hit. Nope, ONLY his helmet. That is the definition of leading with your helmet.

Sorry, Blitzburgh. I really like your team, and it's style, but this was simply a dirty hit. No one is complaining about anything else that happened in the game, or even trying to blame this hit for the loss. It simply is a dirty hit.

Edited by DrDankenstein

You also inspired me to grab my own screen caps of the actual hit, not the milisecond before it....

Pic 1, Immediately following your pic. Notice the top of his helmet is already hitting Fitz in the facemask. You can plainly see the black helmet against the white helmet/facemask

Pic 2, Harrison begins his launch. The top of his helmet is above Fitz's collar.

In BOTH of those pics, the ONLY part of Harrison that is touching Fitz is his helmet. Maybe his hands. Certainly NOT Harrison's shoulders or arms, which would be an indication of a proper hit. Nope, ONLY his helmet. That is the definition of leading with your helmet.

Sorry, Blitzburgh. I really like your team, and it's style, but this was simply a dirty hit. No one is complaining about anything else that happened in the game, or even trying to blame this hit for the loss. It simply is a dirty hit.

Great pics showing that hit, BTW. Its funny, but if Harrison would have wrapped up, lowered his shoulder, and put his head off to the side, it would have been a great hit still. And not to mention completely legal. I don't understand why players think lowering your shoulder can't do as much damage as a helmet. Not that damaging a player should be your goal, but a shoulder to the gut or chest area, hard enough, would certainly knock the wind out of someone. Not to mention by wrapping him up at the waist, you can get a little leverage and lift and drive to the ground. This can't be that hard to re-teach someone.

Edited by Wayne333

Great pics showing that hit, BTW. Its funny, but if Harrison would have wrapped up, lowered his shoulder, and put his head off to the side, it would have been a great hit still. And not to mention completely legal. I don't understand why players think lowering your shoulder can't do as much damage as a helmet. Not that damaging a player should be your goal, but a shoulder to the gut or chest area, hard enough, would certainly knock the wind out of someone. Not to mention by wrapping him up at the waist, you can get a little leverage and lift and drive to the ground. This can't be that hard to re-teach someone.

Thank you!

Ive said the same thing previously. Had Harrison hit him legally, with a shoulder in the ribs and his helmet to the side, he could have knocked Fitz out of the game with bruised ribs, or a dislocated shoulder, or BOTH.

It's proper tackling 101.

WOW! I am trying hard not to be a homer, but in both of those pics I can see nothing but great tackling technique. It is clearly a case of two sides looking at the same pictures and coming to vastly different conclusions.

Okay, I clicked on both of your links and it opens 2 independent explorer pages for me. This allows me to be able to be able to click one, then the next for a "motion" appearance.

In both of the shots, Harrison's right leg, never leaves the turf. (mine included) Nothing "launched about it.

Additionally, the only head to helmet movement that occurs from what I see is a whiplash effect of Fitz's head coming into and striking Harrison's helmet, to the left side and then immediately back up in the last shot. The entire time Harrison's arms are wrapped around Fitz like a tackling dummy.

Sorry, I strongly disagree and think it was as clean a hit as can be. He was flagged for a clean hit and nothing more.

Still, I want to say this and leave it at that. I admire what your team has put together and think we will see a lot more of each other in the coming years.

Congrats on a helluva game.

WOW! I am trying hard not to be a homer, but in both of those pics I can see nothing but great tackling technique. It is clearly a case of two sides looking at the same pictures and coming to vastly different conclusions.

Okay, I clicked on both of your links and it opens 2 independent explorer pages for me. This allows me to be able to be able to click one, then the next for a "motion" appearance.

In both of the shots, Harrison's right leg, never leaves the turf. (mine included) Nothing "launched about it.

Additionally, the only head to helmet movement that occurs from what I see is a whiplash effect of Fitz's head coming into and striking Harrison's helmet, to the left side and then immediately back up in the last shot. The entire time Harrison's arms are wrapped around Fitz like a tackling dummy.

Sorry, I strongly disagree and think it was as clean a hit as can be. He was flagged for a clean hit and nothing more.

Still, I want to say this and leave it at that. I admire what your team has put together and think we will see a lot more of each other in the coming years.

Congrats on a helluva game.

Fair enough, you do not know proper tackling technique.

Good luck with the rest of your season and into the playoffs.

James thinks he got screwed.

I have to agree. I know the officials are bending over backwards to protect QBs these days, but that looked like facemask to the chest to me. I don't think that is illegal, at least not yet. And the official was looking right at it from what looked to be a good angle and threw the flag without hesitation (almost reaching for it just before the hit). Tomlin looked like he was going to blow a gasket after looking at the replay. I think Harrisons reputation preceded him on that play.

Interesting to see the leagues response.

That guy just needs to learn how to tackle, plain and simple. He's a beast on the field, but you can't lead with you helmet. They did a piece on Inside the NFL after his 2 penalty game and he said he was taught to tackle leading with the helmet and then either slide off left or right depending on where you hit the guy. Warren Sapp couldn’t believe he said that, said that's definitely not the proper technique to tackle. It's pretty obvious it's a very dangerous technique for Harrison as well. Whether he leads with his facemask or his helmet, it doesn't matter when the crown of the helmet ends up in the QB's chin. He is going to rack up one heck of a total in fines during his career if he continues to lead with the helmet...

Edited by ricojes

Hate to say it because I don't like seeing our guys get hurt, but that shouldn't have been a penalty or a fine. I played football for a long time, and that is how you tackle a player. You could say that he speared Fitz a little bit, but 1.) he didn't leave his feat, and 2.) he didn't put his head down and lead with the drown of his helmet.

Harrison is just flat out bigger and stronger than a lot of players in this league. When he hits guys, sometimes they're going to be hurt. That doesn't mean he doesn't take a lot of cheap shots / dirty hits in other circumstances. Both hits against the Browns were dirty. You can't drive your shoulder or helmet into a defenseless players head (or chest/back either). You can end careers that way, and even ruin someone's life for that matter with spinal injuries or severe concussions.

Players need to get it out of their heads that this is the WWE. It's not about launching yourself into players and making the big jarring hit. It's moronic. Not only can you badly injure other players, but in many cases you injure yourself. Learn to tackle like a real football player. Maybe the league does need to go back to the old leather helmets...

Three things:

1) I agree that the league is scapegoating James Harrison, holding him to a higher standard than everybody else and then fining him when he doesn't maintain it. This is wrong and I hope Harrison doesn't give in and change the way he plays.

2) Since the debacle vs Oakland, I'm beginning to believe that the league is also trying to make an example of the Stillers because of their physical style and their willingness to call bullspit on the NFL's actions. This is also wrong and I hope your boys continue to use it as motivation to continue kicking the hell out of people.

3) I also believe that you must be too young to have seen much of Rod Woodson's career in Pittsburgh or to have have had a full understanding of the rule that was implemented regarding hits on the QB like Harrison's strike on Fitzpatrick. That rule, informally referred to as the Woodson Rule because he was the master of the technique, outlawed the exact kind of hit that Harrison perpetrated on Sunday. You are not allowed to bury your facemask in a QB's chest because the forward momentum inevitably causes the crown of your helmet to strike under the QB's chin. It has nothing to do with leaving your feet, where your hands are, or launching yourself, nor does it have anything to do with the recent emphasis on preventing concussions. This rule was implemented 10-15 years ago and has been enforced consistently ever since. Harrison's tackle was a textbook example of a transgression of that rule as he struck the QB's chest with his facemask and allowed momentum to carry the crown of his helmet up underneath the QB's chin. It was a penalty a decade ago and it was a penalty on Sunday; that is an indisputable fact regardless of who did it or how the league decides to discipline it.

Three things:

1) I agree that the league is scapegoating James Harrison, holding him to a higher standard than everybody else and then fining him when he doesn't maintain it. This is wrong and I hope Harrison doesn't give in and change the way he plays.

2) Since the debacle vs Oakland, I'm beginning to believe that the league is also trying to make an example of the Stillers because of their physical style and their willingness to call bullspit on the NFL's actions. This is also wrong and I hope your boys continue to use it as motivation to continue kicking the hell out of people.

3) I also believe that you must be too young to have seen much of Rod Woodson's career in Pittsburgh or to have have had a full understanding of the rule that was implemented regarding hits on the QB like Harrison's strike on Fitzpatrick. That rule, informally referred to as the Woodson Rule because he was the master of the technique, outlawed the exact kind of hit that Harrison perpetrated on Sunday. You are not allowed to bury your facemask in a QB's chest because the forward momentum inevitably causes the crown of your helmet to strike under the QB's chin. It has nothing to do with leaving your feet, where your hands are, or launching yourself, nor does it have anything to do with the recent emphasis on preventing concussions. This rule was implemented 10-15 years ago and has been enforced consistently ever since. Harrison's tackle was a textbook example of a transgression of that rule as he struck the QB's chest with his facemask and allowed momentum to carry the crown of his helmet up underneath the QB's chin. It was a penalty a decade ago and it was a penalty on Sunday; that is an indisputable fact regardless of who did it or how the league decides to discipline it.

Thanks Simon, for making the point that in the end whether he was trying to go helmet to helmet, he did, and that is illegal. Also thanks for pointing out that the rule was put in place to protect the defender. Whoever taught this kid to lower his head should be the one who's fined.

I didn't see the hit myself and I hate to say it, but your pictures show me nothing. They're blurry, I can't see Harrison's helmet in the first one and barely make it out in the second. Either way, I can't say if it was a good hit or not but judging by the positions of the 2 bodies I'd say it was an ok/borderline hit. I can see what Simon's saying as being correct about the hit.

And this is coming from a Bills fan who thinks James Harrison is an ignorant SOB who constantly leads with the crown of his helmet when trying to make a play. I see plenty of it when he plays the Browns 2x a year. He's a hell of a player but needs to get this corrected. I do think he's being targeted by the NFL, but not unfairly especially given his attitude.

Others here have mentioned spearing, I agree but for some reason the NFL never calls spearing. Anybody know why?

I didn't see the hit myself and I hate to say it, but your pictures show me nothing. They're blurry, I can't see Harrison's helmet in the first one and barely make it out in the second. Either way, I can't say if it was a good hit or not but judging by the positions of the 2 bodies I'd say it was an ok/borderline hit. I can see what Simon's saying as being correct about the hit.

And this is coming from a Bills fan who thinks James Harrison is an ignorant SOB who constantly leads with the crown of his helmet when trying to make a play. I see plenty of it when he plays the Browns 2x a year. He's a hell of a player but needs to get this corrected. I do think he's being targeted by the NFL, but not unfairly especially given his attitude.

Others here have mentioned spearing, I agree but for some reason the NFL never calls spearing. Anybody know why?

The fact is the Harrison has a REALLY bad history of leading with his helmet as well as helmet to helmet hits. It is dangerous to other players and to himself, but he is too much of a der-t-der to get it. Just search for Harrison highlight videos and you will understand better why the league is supposedly making an "example" out of him. He is a player that plays tough and gets to the ball quickly, but I have no doubt he could be just as effective without leading with the crown of his helmet as he often does.