Official McKelvin Discussion Thread

BeastMode54

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't blame him for tripping over Moats. Sure it would have been a TD if he didn't, but it was still a great return and when you're going that fast it's tough to change direction on a dime. Guys trip over or run into their blockers all the time. The fumble was killer though. Even though we eventually recovered it, we gave up huge field position as a result, and you can't be that sloppy with the ball when the game is on the line.

Trippng over Moats!!!. That was a TD. How did that happen?

That one was infuriating, yet the replay simply showed that McKelvin saw that he was gone and didn't give Moats a chance to make his block and get out of the way.

That one was infuriating, yet the replay simply showed that McKelvin saw that he was gone and didn't give Moats a chance to make his block and get out of the way.

Looked to me like McKelvin expected Moats to make a block, but Moats tripped.

Watch it again because it looks weird, like he is locked up then falls down like his leg gave out, then McKelvin expecting Moats to drive the block follows Moats and runs right into the tripping Moats.

Its all together strange, then ofcourse McKelvin drops the damn ball on a kick return.

He is clearly explosive on Kick Returns but you can't be sloppy with the ball. In regulation you saw how when there was contact he held the ball high and tight with both arms.

Then on that play he forgets to protect the ball.

I can't have a kick returner kick returns if he can't secure the ball.

I think Quinton Ganther returned kicks for the Redskins, (actually I looked it up he returned 1 kick in his career)

Either way you have to put someone that will secure the ball. A turnover on a kick return is worse than an INT or a fumble by the offense. Its just such a killer you can't risk it with a guy that doesn't understand how to protect the ball.

That hole was massive.

If Spiller was healthy that's a layup. Not saying McKelvin isn't a great kickoff return guy, but he's not a ball handler/runner like CJ and nobody has the 100 yard speed that CJ does, (including Chris Johnson if you go by their times at the combine.)

We need to get that dude back on the field against Minny.

Looked to me like McKelvin expected Moats to make a block, but Moats tripped.

Watch it again because it looks weird, like he is locked up then falls down like his leg gave out, then McKelvin expecting Moats to drive the block follows Moats and runs right into the tripping Moats.

Its all together strange, then ofcourse McKelvin drops the damn ball on a kick return.

He is clearly explosive on Kick Returns but you can't be sloppy with the ball. In regulation you saw how when there was contact he held the ball high and tight with both arms.

Then on that play he forgets to protect the ball.

I can't have a kick returner kick returns if he can't secure the ball.

I think Quinton Ganther returned kicks for the Redskins, (actually I looked it up he returned 1 kick in his career)

Either way you have to put someone that will secure the ball. A turnover on a kick return is worse than an INT or a fumble by the offense. Its just such a killer you can't risk it with a guy that doesn't understand how to protect the ball.

I agree. Yet, McKelvin saw daylight and exploded. Had he simply didn't accommodate room enough for Moats. As for protecting the ball? Isn't that what earned McKelvin some yard word, free of charge previously? Your dead on with respect to ball security.

I don't blame him for tripping over Moats. Sure it would have been a TD if he didn't, but it was still a great return and when you're going that fast it's tough to change direction on a dime. Guys trip over or run into their blockers all the time. The fumble was killer though. Even though we eventually recovered it, we gave up huge field position as a result, and you can't be that sloppy with the ball when the game is on the line.

I don't know if I'd go that far. I saw two Steelers (one of them was the kicker) who could have had an angle on McKelvin once he got past Moats and the guy he was blocking. McKelvin had to slow down to get by Moats, so it's possible that one of those two Steelers could have made the play or slowed him down enough.

If Mckelvin slows down a single bit to let Moats finish the block, there's a stillers Ster closing from behind that makes the tackle on him. Nobody did anything wrong on the play, it was simply bad luck.

Agreed! Its one thing if the problem was a clear mental error on a players part (an OL player not alerting the ref he is an eligible receiver if he lines up at TE, lining up in the neutral zone, etc). However, no doubt McKelvin tripped over his own guy in front of him, but this was a bang bang play with McKelvin worrying about Steelers coming up from behind him as well as clearing the blocker in front of him.

A definite mistake during a great return by McKelvin but pretty picayune to get on his case about this when he made a bigger mistake with the fumble (again a bang bang play but this is the second time this happened and he needs to calm down on ball control without losing the killer edge of a return guy.

Even sillier to pick on this when the big physical error was from the Joker not being serious enough about this.