Kiss the #1 pick Good Bye

coldstorage5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiss the #1 pick goodbye. If the Bills had that pick it would certainly be a QB. Who may or may not be the answer (and the numbers say not), but either way would command a huge amount of money and at least a 4 year trial. There is a reason teams at the bottom stay at the bottom.

Kiss the #1 pick goodbye, and be gratefull.

Well, now with us kicking the Bengals ( with TO) butts, we can forget that #1 pick,...Top 5, maybe.... Fitz just want us to draft a qb next year,... we do need defense help.

I'd like us to win the rest of our games and finish 8-8. So what if we do not get the top pick in the draft. It seems like the majority want Luck as the pick and we don't know if he is even turning pro. If we are in the top 5 or 10, we should still get a good player.

Edited by BB2004

The more experience Fitzy gets, the better he's going to be. Steve Johnson sure seems to have a rapport with him. I've been hoping for Luck as much as anyone, but we start developing some offensive chemistry, we should address our pathetic defense in the draft. I'm not changing my opinion on Luck (I think he's gonna be amazing in the pros) but if we're not picking #1 (which it looks now like we won't) and he comes out we're not getting him anyways. If that happens, we should try upgrading the D.

We may also have the option of trading up to get Luck. For that to happen, one of two things would need to occur:

1) If Carolina still felt confident in Clausen, they might be willing to trade away the Luck pick.

2) If Carolina felt really good about some other quarterback--such as Mallett--they might reason that Mallett + draft picks > Luck. They'd be wrong, but there's a reasonable chance of them thinking that.

I realize that trading up from (say) 5th overall to 1st overall is very, very expensive in terms of draft picks. But if paying that price gets you a quarterback who's somewhere in between Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning, you pay that price. Period.

We may also have the option of trading up to get Luck. For that to happen, one of two things would need to occur:

1) If Carolina still felt confident in Clausen, they might be willing to trade away the Luck pick.

2) If Carolina felt really good about some other quarterback--such as Mallett--they might reason that Mallett + draft picks > Luck. They'd be wrong, but there's a reasonable chance of them thinking that.

I realize that trading up from (say) 5th overall to 1st overall is very, very expensive in terms of draft picks. But if paying that price gets you a quarterback who's somewhere in between Matt Ryan and Peyton Manning, you pay that price. Period.

We'd never move up, IMO.

If Fitz continues his tear, a QB won't be top priority anyway. Nor should it be.

Kiss the #1 pick goodbye. If the Bills had that pick it would certainly be a QB. Who may or may not be the answer (and the numbers say not), but either way would command a huge amount of money and at least a 4 year trial. There is a reason teams at the bottom stay at the bottom.

Kiss the #1 pick goodbye, and be gratefull.

Yeah, seriously. Where is it written that a #1 pick is automatic success? The NFL has done a good job marketing/publicizing the draft, but it's created an awful lot of armchair GMs.

We'd never move up, IMO.

If Fitz continues his tear, a QB won't be top priority anyway. Nor should it be.

In this game, I noticed some throws where Fitz would have had to put the ball in a perfect spot to be successful. I can't recall his being successful on one of them. The throw would be a little behind the player, or to the player's left when it needed to be to his right; or would otherwise be a little off.

Later in the game, Fitz attained success--but it was success based on making relatively straightforward throws to guys that were open. Fitz deserves credit for identifying the right players to throw to, looking off the safeties in order to get guys open, and making the right reads. But I don't recall seeing any "he put the ball exactly where it had to be" type throws today.

Fitz had a good game today, and did a good job of taking advantage of the Bengals' depleted secondary. He's a solid starter. But what he is specifically not is an elite quarterback.

If your goal is to go 8-8 each year, with the occasional year where you go 10-6 and get eliminated in the wild card or divisional round of the playoffs, having a solid but unspectacular quarterback is perfectly fine. But if you want to win the Super Bowl, your odds of doing so increase dramatically if you have a franchise QB under center.

Opportunities to get franchise QBs are very rare. Most NFL teams don't have a quarterback who can consistently put the ball into tight places/make the perfect throw, while doing a good job of reading defenses, processing information quickly, and overall being a complete player. If the Bills want to be one of the few teams with a guy like that--rather than one of the many teams without one--they're going to need to take full advantage of the chance to add someone like that to the team.

Every season starts with 32 teams hoping for a Super Bowl win, and ends with 31 teams coming away disappointed. If the Bills want to be that one team out of 32 that's actually successful, they're going to have to do something to separate themselves from the other 31 teams. If you're getting consistently elite-level play from your quarterback, that separates you from most other teams right there.

Who Cares...we need to establish a winning attitude with this organization.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, seriously. Where is it written that a #1 pick is automatic success? The NFL has done a good job marketing/publicizing the draft, but it's created an awful lot of armchair GMs.

+!

As I said on another thread, playing for the No.1 pick is like playing the Lotto. It's a chumps' game.

Cinci might draft ahead of us and take a QB.

Palmer really !@#$ing sucks.

The Vikings or Cardinals might draft a qb as well, if they finish with a worse record than the Bills.

I want the Bills to beat the Vikings. I don't like Brett Favre. I know I'm in the minority on that one...

Well, now with us kicking the Bengals ( with TO) butts, we can forget that #1 pick,...Top 5, maybe.... Fitz just want us to draft a qb next year,... we do need defense help.

Yup - No #1 pick this year(but if Fitz goes down, where will that leave us??. That's fine, we'll take the stairs. I'd rather have a team that won't quit - AKA:Character - Than draft a potential superstar with no supporting cast. The way the Bills have been playing for the past 5 games, I wouldn't be surprised if we win 3 more. Minnesota is in a free-fall, the Browns are banged up, and Miami is also suffering from the injury bug. The Bills need more talent all over, but I love their attitude.

:beer:

While I too am on the Fitzy Bandwagon, I still think we should draft a 1st round QB. Im just afraid he will pull a Derek Anderson on us. Id bet people in Cleveland thought their QB woes were gone a few years back. At the worst, It creates competition, which will improve QB play as a whole. At best, you get the "Franchise" QB we havent had since Jimbo. Remember too that Chan does work miracles w/ his QBs. Not at all saying Fitzy isnt good, but a its much better to have a QB competition Brees/Rivers style than an Edwards/Losman one. Worst that happens w/ drafting one is a good Insurance policy/developmental guy.

Fitzy is playing like an All-Pro right now. Keep that fire lit by drafting another guy, and give us fans peace of mind for a while regarding the most important position in sports.

GO BILLS

what if buffalo loses the rest and bengals win 5 more games.. season isnt even over so stop with the stupidity.

love

brenty

The Bills aren't going to lose out....they are going to win 3 or 4 more games maybe even finish 8-8 wouldn't that be something.

I don't want the number 1 pick never did cause if we did RW wouldn't pay him anyway then we would just have a hold out waiting to happen.

The Bills aren't going to lose out....they are going to win 3 or 4 more games maybe even finish 8-8 wouldn't that be something.

I don't want the number 1 pick never did cause if we did RW wouldn't pay him anyway then we would just have a hold out waiting to happen.

why wouldn't he pay him?