Here's to hoping that fans no longer root for the team to lose

Sorry, but it had to be said. I find it frustrating that some fans don't want the team to win often and win now. Hoping that your team loses out to get a great draft pick seems wrong on so many levels. It smells of a front running Cowboys fan who jumps on the bandwagon when the team is playing well. Since moving to Texas 7 years ago I've been coming to this site often to get my Bills fix but it has really been painful as of late. The negativity this year is just on a whole new level. Fitz is playing great, the Defense is improving, and Coach is doing a damn good job. Why can't we all just root root for the home team???

Edited by Austin_Bills_Fan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard from McKinney.

I find it best to not tell people what to think or what they must do, instead offer your thoughts and see where it goes from there.

Good point and I'll edit the post accordingly. . It's more of a frustration than anything. Bills fans are the greatest in the world but lately it seems the negativity is taking over like a cancer.

Good point and I'll edit the post accordingly. . It's more of a frustration than anything. Bills fans are the greatest in the world but lately it seems the negativity is taking over like a cancer.

:thumbsup: To paraphrase Dicky J...it's hard to be a Bills fan.

Been to Flip Happy Crepes lately?

Well fair enough...There is clearly a crap-load of negativity...But you don't think a decade of non-Playoff Football might have a little bit to do with that?

Look I've been a Bills Fan for 40 Years now...Anyone who knows me will say I'm the biggest Bills Fan they've ever met...When I'm watching the Games I'm hoping they win...That part is ingrained in Me...But realistically, if they are going to suck do I mind them losing and having a chance to Pick #1 Overall, especially when a Prospect like Andrew Luck may be the prize? Um...Nope, I don't mind at all...And I think I'm no less true Bills Fan than anyone else out there... B-)

Well fair enough...There is clearly a crap-load of negativity...But you don't think a decade of non-Playoff Football might have a little bit to do with that?

Look I've been a Bills Fan for 40 Years now...Anyone who knows me will say I'm the biggest Bills Fan they've ever met...When I'm watching the Games I'm hoping they win...That part is ingrained in Me...But realistically, if they are going to suck do I mind them losing and having a chance to Pick #1 Overall, especially when a Prospect like Andrew Luck may be the prize? Um...Nope, I don't mind at all...And I think I'm no less true Bills Fan than anyone else out there... B-)

Trust me. Bills fans are negative even when we win. They always find something to B word about.

PTR

Trust me. Bills fans are negative even when we win. They always find something to B word about.

PTR

Well I never noticed that over these past 40 years... ;)

Anyway, I can say pretty clearly from my observation standpoint the past 10 years have been worse...I'm not saying there was no negativity before that...Just saying these past 5 years especially have been brutal and the Team has done little to give us the warm and fuzzies... B-)

sometimes you gotta take a couple steps back to take on giant step forward. the bills need to bottom out here and hit a homerun with the first pick to help this franchise

but the homerun does not need to be from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th pick of the 1st round. Whether the team has the 1st or 32nd pick is a non-issue - it just needs to be a smart pick..

but the homerun does not need to be from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th pick of the 1st round. Whether the team has the 1st or 32nd pick is a non-issue - it just needs to be a smart pick..

That's ridiculous. How many players were there in the 1985 draft that would have been as good as Bruce Smith? Could a Bruce Smith be there at 32? Hell no! Same goes for Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, John Elway and all the other HOFers drafted with the 1st pick.

Now we might not get the 1st pick, but look at the last decade where we were a pick, or a few picks away from getting the player we wanted & ended up settling for garbage. Remember when Patrick Willis went one pick before the Bills picked, so we picked Marshawn Lynch instead. While Willis is a force, we dumped Marshawn for a mid & late round pick. What about the year we missed out on Roethlisberger by a few picks, tried to trade up & failed, but succeeded in trading up for JP instead?

I know you don't like to hear this, but really, in a totally wasted year like this one where we're likely to win 1-4 games, what difference does the 3 extra wins make if in the long run we miss out on a franchising changing player by a pick or 3? When you're bad you need to be really bad, not just somewhat bad. Now I don't start a season looking for the team to lose, but when we get to loss 10 or 11, I see absolutely no benefit in winning. Obviously the players have a totally different point of view, and I don't blame them, but as a ticket buying fan, I'd rather lose a couple of more games this year, than never see another championship contender. I want to see a winner, not of 3,4,or 5 games. I want to see 10,11,12 wins, the number a team with some impact players gets, not a team with no impact players like the 2010 Bills.

Also, don't try to convince me the difference between 1 and 4 wins will help the players learn how to win. Most of those guys won't be here if we get good. Guys like Talley, Smith, Reed, Ritcher etal all went through 1 or 2, 2 win seasons, and it didn't stop them from learning how to win when other impact players arrived.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

I'm not disagreeing with you , but it's simpler for me, to root for the Bills is like rooting for my own kid at a local game: It's "in me" / core to who I am to root for the Bills every time I see my team take center stage. To me, they represent my heritage, my country, they are my team. The Ralph is my Mecca (no offense intended), their uniform is mine. I relish each victory, I groan with each loss. When we lose, I look for a silver lining -- maybe our players or team developed in some areas, or maybe we just get a better draft pick for next year...but I look for the things to build on. Then I look forward to next week's game and repeat the process till my little life runs it's course. It's that simple folks. GO BILLS!!!!!!!

That's ridiculous. How many players were there in the 1985 draft that would have been as good as Bruce Smith? Could a Bruce Smith be there at 32? Hell no! Same goes for Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, John Elway and all the other HOFers drafted with the 1st pick.

Now we might not get the 1st pick, but look at the last decade where we were a pick, or a few picks away from getting the player we wanted & ended up settling for garbage. Remember when Patrick Willis went one pick before the Bills picked, so we picked Marshawn Lynch instead. While Willis is a force, we dumped Marshawn for a mid & late round pick. What about the year we missed out on Roethlisberger by a few picks, tried to trade up & failed, but succeeded in trading up for JP instead?

I know you don't like to hear this, but really, in a totally wasted year like this one where we're likely to win 1-4 games, what difference does the 3 extra wins make if in the long run we miss out on a franchising changing player by a pick or 3? When you're bad you need to be really bad, not just somewhat bad. Now I don't start a season looking for the team to lose, but when we get to loss 10 or 11, I see absolutely no benefit in winning. Obviously the players have a totally different point of view, and I don't blame them, but as a ticket buying fan, I'd rather lose a couple of more games this year, than never see another championship contender. I want to see a winner, not of 3,4,or 5 games. I want to see 10,11,12 wins, the number a team with some impact players gets, not a team with no impact players like the 2010 Bills.

Also, don't try to convince me the difference between 1 and 4 wins will help the players learn how to win. Most of those guys won't be here if we get good. Guys like Talley, Smith, Reed, Ritcher etal all went through 1 or 2, 2 win seasons, and it didn't stop them from learning how to win when other impact players arrived.

you make some nice points. but

1. who the hell is patrick willis

2. not all #1 picks are winners. recent example is matthew stafford. he's great. but c'mon. he cant stay healthy.

3. since you brought up colts (with manning), they always pick late but do decent via draft. CONSIDER THAT!

so no, i want bills to win all their games. sorry.

Sorry, but it had to be said. I find it frustrating that some fans don't want the team to win often and win now. Hoping that your team loses out to get a great draft pick seems wrong on so many levels. It smells of a front running Cowboys fan who jumps on the bandwagon when the team is playing well. Since moving to Texas 7 years ago I've been coming to this site often to get my Bills fix but it has really been painful as of late. The negativity this year is just on a whole new level. Fitz is playing great, the Defense is improving, and Coach is doing a damn good job. Why can't we all just root root for the home team???

Here is my quarrel with this perdiciment, you do not define LOSE. Do you mean lose the game this weekend? Lose every game this year? Lose the race to the playoffs in all future season? Lose for 10 years? What?

I dont root for the team to lose, I root for them to win. But I define win as long term success and sustainability - not the short sighted "win this week". IMHO, I truely feel the Bills best way to achieve said long term success and sustainability is to add Andrew Luck in the offeaseon. Ironically though, that means I want them to lose seven more games this season because we will need that top pick in the draft and some luck to add Luck.

Ironically I think the best thing that could happen to the Bills is have them lose out, and at the end of the day, I want the Bills to be better.

you make some nice points. but

1. who the hell is patrick willis

2. not all #1 picks are winners. recent example is matthew stafford. he's great. but c'mon. he cant stay healthy.

3. since you brought up colts (with manning), they always pick late but do decent via draft. CONSIDER THAT!

so no, i want bills to win all their games. sorry.

P WIllis is a top 3 MLB in the league and ahs been since his first OTA

His point is imagine the Colts without Manning. Their fans endured some bad seasons, drafted Manning, and have had 10+ wins a year since. 1 very bad year and 10 great ones is better than 1 bad year and 10 more bad years