lesser known female vocalists

birdog1960

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so about every 6 months i turn a big bag of collected change into an amazon gift card and use it buying music. i'm searching for new or somewhat obscure female vocalists and have had some success but looking for more ideas. especially like jazz but into almost any genre (country, bluegrass, alternative, latin, soul, rock, classical...) it just needs to convey emotions and come from the heart. of course, a great and/or interesting voice helps too. any recommendations?

Two from British Folk rock genre...

Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention, example:

Maddy Prior, individual songs and with Steeleye Span. Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZzmPbzwZ1o&feature=related

Where do I know her from? Was she on a show at some point in the past?

The first place I saw her was some kinda HBO/cable/TV special quite a while ago (10 years?). Quite honestly, I can't really remember. But, back in the Napster free music days I haphazardly found a little of her music and have been listening off and on ever since. Great voice and great stage presence. Look at some more of those related vids and feel the joy.

Those Darlins

Not so much a lesser known female vocalist, but a girl group I just recently discovered...heard this song on a soundtrack (Weeds), couldn't get it out of my head, so I tracked it down...their whole album is terrific...kinda cute to boot! Fun record...

Nataly Dawn - you probably saw her on a recent Hyundai holiday commercial

youtube.com/watch?v=gdEhvS9P1DI

Oh my god...is this a joke? I started a thread, the week of Christmas, saying how much I loathed those Hyundai commercials, the music, and that woman...I am so relived that ad campaign is over...now I see that she and her annoying friend (fittignly, called Pomplamoose, or something like that) do a hideous version of Michael Jackson's "Beat It"...if you posted this to irk me, touche! Well played :worthy: ...if not...damn you for reminding me of this scourge on music-kind... :wallbash:

Edited by Buftex

Oh my god...is this a joke? I started a thread, the week of Christmas, saying how much I loathed those Hyundai commercials, the music, and that woman...I am so relived that ad campaign is over...now I see that she and her annoying friend (fittignly, called Pomplamoose, or something like that) do a hideous version of Michael Jackson's "Beat It"...if you posted this to irk me, touche! Well played :worthy: ...if not...damn you for reminding me of this scourge on music-kind... :wallbash:

hahaha, settle down Beavis! not all of their stuff is my kind of music either, but that chick has a great voice and plays a decent bass = sex appeal for my money ... I really dig it when she sings in French.

I think the only thing I could "dig" about that woman is digging a grave for her...sorry, I got issues...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/125400-another-holiday-season-come-and-gone/page__p__2074632__hl__%22hyundai+commercials%22__fromsearch__1#entry2074632

perhaps the criticism is a bit harsh...but then, so is the music

I think the only thing I could "dig" about that woman is digging a grave for her...sorry, I got issues...

ok ok, I don't care for the pop much either but you do have an issue - that chick can sing period and we're talking about female vocalists here right? how bout a little Annie Raines then? not much of a voice but she plays the hell out of a harp - your Darlins barely strum the guitars behind their flat voices

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebCEqEMnd4w&feature=related

Edited by colfax

ok ok, I don't care for the pop much either but you do have an issue - that chick can sing period and we're talking about female vocalists here right? how bout a little Annie Raines then? not much of a voice but she plays the hell out of a harp - your Darlins barely strum the guitars behind their flat voices

youtube.com/watch?v=ebCEqEMnd4w&feature=related

Sorry, the Pompus Moose has already tainted an entire Christmas, and football season for me...I think they/she are just pretentious garbage...but you open up the age-old music argument about technical proficiency vs. what is good...they don't always go hand in hand...Bob Dylan can't sing, but he is one of the greatest singers ever...

Edited by Buftex

as i stated in the thread about Pompaloose...when i first saw the commercials, i thought it was She & Him....Nataly Dawn sounds an awful lot like Zooey Duchammel. I love their sound and i never got sick of the commercials....

hahaha, settle down Beavis! not all of their stuff is my kind of music either, but that chick has a great voice and plays a decent bass = sex appeal for my money ... I really dig it when she sings in French.